ADVERTISEMENT

Frost is Wrong

I think one of the issues is that nobody has any access to practices so all we have to go by is Frost’s comments and what we see on gameday, which are usually the complete opposites.

Frost claims that Luke is great in practice and that he should stick to QB while us fans saw that his lack of throwing strength and accuracy is not of D1 level. I do think there is more to what we see, like promises to Luke and his family but at the end of the day, Luke isn’t going to help this team sitting on the bench and he could very well be doing that for at least two more years.
Why does everything have to involve theories of secret guarantees of playing time? I've seen flashes where's he thrown really nice passes. The kid has tremendous athleticism and the O line he's played behind hasn't been great so far. I don't care how good you are as a QB, you HAVE to have some help in your O line, your WR corp and your run game IF you're going to be successful. Neither of our QBs can do it on their own. I think we're going to be improved at ALL of those crucial support positions this year. Lets wait and see if it helps our QBs. The bottom line for me is that we HAVE to be able to run the ball.

Reactions: headcard
He won’t by sticking up for him. He will lose the team by playing him over other options that give the team a better chance to win or by making decisions not to bring in more polished and accomplished transfer QBs to compete.

At this level it’s about winning. Don’t let the mindless din about personal growth and making better men fool you. You don’t pay $5 mil a year to a personal development coach. You pay that to the head coach of the university cash cow to win games. Period. Everyone, including and especially the players, expect decisions to be made to win games.
Scott Frost has continued to make questionable personnel decisions since he has gotten here. I think it will continue to be like that, but completely agree with the second part..

It is about winning, and Scott is not focused enough on that. He's clearly not putting the team in the best position by his actions, or lack of action in getting someone in here who can actually run his offense. He's too afraid of recruiting over people or breaking promises he made to parents or the kid or whatever. Look where it has gotten us.

I think it's better to fire him and take another swing at getting a good coach in here. Frost is too stubborn to change and we just keep circling the drain here.

We don’t have the luxury though to bring in someone and groom them. Adrian is very injury prone. I don’t know if Luke’s arm strength and accuracy can be fixed. He didn’t become a qb until his senior year of high school. He’s an athlete converted into a quarterback in a system that hasn’t established an identity.
So what's the solution for this fall? That's the problem. I didn't see a single QB in the portal that we had a realistic shot at who looked better than Adrian. We failed to land the highest profile high school QB we went after. Can you blame them? Frost is going to sink or swim I'm afraid with the QBs we have right now because that's what we've got. MAYBE a fully healthy Smothers will become that guy. MAYBE this next cycle they find "the man". I'm not sold that Haarberg will be the guy but who knows. He's got great physical tools including a very strong arm. Tom struggled every couple of years to find a QB who could take us to the level that we wanted to be at and he was given a huge head start over what Frost inherited.

The constant drum beat on this board and negativity accomplishes nothing. We are where we are. Let's see how things develop this fall.

We don’t have the luxury though to bring in someone and groom them. Adrian is very injury prone. I don’t know if Luke’s arm strength and accuracy can be fixed. He didn’t become a qb until his senior year of high school. He’s an athlete converted into a quarterback in a system that hasn’t established an identity.

Yea, after the Penn St and Illinois games we found out what kind of passing abilities and arm strength about Luke and we found out that he has issues in those areas that makes me think he isn’t going to be the kind of QB that takes this team to championship aspirations..

Martinez was fairly healthy but he runs the ball more than I like but he has to because he doesn’t have a lot of confidence throwing the ball stretching the field and the biggest problem is toy never know when he‘s going to turn the ball over on a drive leading to a TD..

Reactions: CatColumbia
Frost isnt going to run down one of his players. and he wants him to hang around so he is going to tell Luke anything he thinks will keep him around. although i think Martinez is the starter as long as he is here. Mccaffery is just wasting his eligibility

Luke is now enrolled as a virtual student at UNL and is not expected to work out with the team this winter.

It seems to me that coach Frost is smart to encourage Luke and try to keep him around. Maybe his perspective as a QB who struggled with outside speculation and criticism will make Luke pump the breaks and not enter the portal.

Luke is smart, works extremely hard, is lighting fast, knows the playbook and understands the culture. Maybe he could become a good QB with time, better mechanics, better OL protection, better RB production and WR options.

So what's the solution for this fall? That's the problem. I didn't see a single QB in the portal that we had a realistic shot at who looked better than Adrian. We failed to land the highest profile high school QB we went after. Can you blame them? Frost is going to sink or swim I'm afraid with the QBs we have right now because that's what we've got. MAYBE a fully healthy Smothers will become that guy. MAYBE this next cycle they find "the man". I'm not sold that Haarberg will be the guy but who knows. He's got great physical tools including a very strong arm. Tom struggled every couple of years to find a QB who could take us to the level that we wanted to be at and he was given a huge head start over what Frost inherited.

The constant drum beat on this board and negativity accomplishes nothing. We are where we are. Let's see how things develop this fall.
well it's people like you that won't hold Scott accountable for what he has and where he is at. Whose fault is it that we don't have a good thrower on the team? It's Scott's fault.

Is the program headed in the right direction? Doesn't look like it is to me.

The Defense is the only thing that looks to be on a good trajectory, and mostly because we are getting a lot of seniors back, otherwise, there isn't much to get too excited about.

If things were improving on offense and special teams, then I might feel more like you do, but those two phases of the game have been lawn darts as far as trajectory is concerned.

Edit: if the above is true regarding virtual student, then I doubt he returns in the spring. Smothers had better be ready.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Lose the locker room? Have you not seen the number of players coming back to play an additional year. That does not happen on a team where the coach has lost the locker room.

Plus you have 2 offensive players in Stepp and Toure that are transferring in.

I know Stepp visited with some of the current players. I am sure he got a positive vibe from them.

I am sure Toure did his homework too. Plus he probably looked at the QB situation as a WR. Obviously he is good with it.

Reactions: headcard
well it's people like you that won't hold Scott accountable for what he has and where he is at. Whose fault is it that we don't have a good thrower on the team? It's Scott's fault.

The Defense is the only thing that looks to be on a good trajectory, and mostly because we are getting a lot of seniors back, otherwise, there isn't much to get too excited about.

If things were improving on offense and special teams, then I might feel more like you do, but those two phases of the game have been lawn darts as far as trajectory is concerned.

Edit: if the above is true regarding virtual student, then I doubt he returns in the spring. Smothers had better be ready.
Frost will be held accountable in time by people who matter if it is necessary. Your constant whining and bitching does nothing. He's got at the very least this year and probably next year so you need to suck it up and get used to it.

The problem with amart is between his ears. I'm not sure if he's been hit too many times, but he is way too slow making progressions. Many are bagging on Luke for his arm (after two games). What I saw from Luke was someone who was decisive. Can he get better? I think yes. Scott Frost had the crappiest of arms. Anyone remember him shot-putting those passes to his receivers? Ugh. Frost was good enough to find Wiggins foot. I think that Luke will be just fine.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Luke is a backup QB. He is staying at QB (if he stays at Nebraska) because we have no depth there. If we have better options, we will play them. The coach isn’t losing the team because he stuck up for a kid at a press conference. That is one of the dumbest things I have ever read.

Then you didn’t read it. Read the first sentence and go sit down.

Frost will be held accountable in time by people who matter if it is necessary. Your constant whining and bitching does nothing. He's got at the very least this year and probably next year so you need to suck it up and get used to it.
says the cheerleader for an apathetic fanbase.. smh

And where have you got your coaching experience from?

High school coordinator/assistant in FB and baseball. But mainly the business world. It’s amazing how fast you can lose a team by putting the wrong people in the wrong places, utilizing talent in a way that doesn’t maximize results, and rewarding substandard performance regardless of how you justify it.

I‘d ask the same of you but I can see you’ve achieved Head Coach status on a message board, so...

I feel bad for the guy. Short of a miraculous turnaround, his legacy has really been damaged and that has to cut to the core.

So in your world it is Dingle’s job to hold Scott Frost accountable by bitching and moaning constantly and inventing new things to freak out about every day. If he did this, like you do, things would be better?

You can’t read it can you?

Ive read your post, or attempt at one several times. You have no point, what so ever. We aren’t playing Luke over better options, he is the backup and no one is losing the team, that is a stupid narrative. But keep grasping at those straws.

These kids can grow so much during their years in college. Very very few QBs come in as freshmen and look like they belong on a D-1 field. We don't need Luke to be Vince Ferragamo to be considered a successful college QB. He can be successful without great passing numbers as long as he limits turnovers and uses his feet to create big plays. He's got time. He's an extremely bright kid with a high football IQ. He'll get better. I'm sure of that.

Good heavens I played against Jeff Quinn in high school. He was a TERRIBLE passer in high school. He was a terrible passer his first several years in college. By his senior year at NU he led the nation in passing efficiency. Then he went on to back up Mark Malone at Pittsburg for 2 years. He still wasn't a great passer but he was a smart guy with very quick feet.

I don’t see it with Luke. I think he would be much more successful at WR, but until that happens his coach should always support him publicly and the idea that supporting a player in the media would cause a coach to lose the team is beyond insane.

I think one of the issues is that nobody has any access to practices so all we have to go by is Frost’s comments and what we see on gameday, which are usually the complete opposites.

Frost claims that Luke is great in practice and that he should stick to QB while us fans saw that his lack of throwing strength and accuracy is not of D1 level. I do think there is more to what we see, like promises to Luke and his family but at the end of the day, Luke isn’t going to help this team sitting on the bench and he could very well be doing that for at least two more years.

Wasn’t Lukes td/int ratio 1/6 with the lone touchdown pass being the flip to Betts in the Penn State game. No bueno.
Just trust we have the best practices when we lose or when we play Iowa. If we win we usually don’t practice as hard. Been that way 3 years

Why does everything have to involve theories of secret guarantees of playing time? I've seen flashes where's he thrown really nice passes. The kid has tremendous athleticism and the O line he's played behind hasn't been great so far. I don't care how good you are as a QB, you HAVE to have some help in your O line, your WR corp and your run game IF you're going to be successful. Neither of our QBs can do it on their own. I think we're going to be improved at ALL of those crucial support positions this year. Lets wait and see if it helps our QBs. The bottom line for me is that we HAVE to be able to run the ball.
in addition to being the worst rated downfield passer in the B1G, AM is also the worst rated passer in the league when he has a clean pocket.

when he gets help from the O Line, he does nothing with it.

that is not my opinion, that is fact & has been for 2 straight seasons.

our best chance to win is somehow getting the ball out of his hands as much as possible.

There wouldn’t be constant bitching on this board if we weren’t 12-20. Many would still complain about something but not to the scale that it is now. By the way this thread is about Luke not being a D-1 quarterback that will get us there. Am I not allowed to share a difference in opinion than you?

Reactions: NikkiSixx

Never said anything about guaranteed playing time. Read it again. The rest I can I agree on.

Never said anything about guaranteed playing time. Read it again. The rest I can I agree on.
I’m assuming that wasn’t meant for you, even though he quoted you.

A few on here have been over the top (jlb321 especially) about how Frost has made promises. And not just to one player. For the life of me I don’t know how jlb knows all this, but he has currently made promises to AM, LM and Wandale, among others I’m sure, about all this promises playing time.

I for one would love for jlb to reveal his source, but the only thing he is more tight-lipped about is the actual team he supports.

These kids can grow so much during their years in college. Very very few QBs come in as freshmen and look like they belong on a D-1 field. We don't need Luke to be Vince Ferragamo to be considered a successful college QB. He can be successful without great passing numbers as long as he limits turnovers and uses his feet to create big plays. He's got time. He's an extremely bright kid with a high football IQ. He'll get better. I'm sure of that.

Good heavens I played against Jeff Quinn in high school. He was a TERRIBLE passer in high school. He was a terrible passer his first several years in college. By his senior year at NU he led the nation in passing efficiency. Then he went on to back up Mark Malone at Pittsburg for 2 years. He still wasn't a great passer but he was a smart guy with very quick feet.
I've heard Cowherd expounding on several occasions about what an anomaly Josh Allen is. He claims stats prove that quarterbacks almost never become significantly more accurate passers. He said they can improve in a lot of areas but if they're inaccurate in HS or College then that's what they are. He's astounded by Allen's improvement from college.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I've heard Cowherd expounding on several occasions about what an anomaly Josh Allen is. He claims stats prove that quarterbacks almost never become significantly more accurate passers. He said they can improve in a lot of areas but if they're inaccurate in HS or College then that's what they are. He's astounded by Allen's improvement from college.
Well Cowherd is a shock jock dumb sh## so there is that. I will say that the guy really showed a nice arm in Lincoln. We put him under pressure and he didn't perform well....you know, kind of like all college QBs for that matter.

So in your world it is Dingle’s job to hold Scott Frost accountable by bitching and moaning constantly and inventing new things to freak out about every day. If he did this, like you do, things would be better?
No, but I expect more fan outrage.. this complacent attitude from some of you does makes me sick. I am going to rail on Scott Fraud every chance I get until he either leaves, gets fired, or turns things around. He's the worst hire we have made in a long time, by a long shot. Why the rest of you are complacent or okay with it, I won't ever understand.

No, but I expect more fan outrage.. this complacent attitude from some of you does makes me sick. I am going to rail on Scott Fraud every chance I get until he either leaves, gets fired, or turns things around. He's the worst hire we have made in a long time, by a long shot. Why the rest of you are complacent or okay with it, I won't ever understand.
Were you in favor of hiring him at the time he was hired?

I guess I don’t get why the outrage is so important. I choose to not let this consume every moment I have as a fan. I am not a season ticket holder, nor am I a booster of any kind, other than buying husker gear. How does my outrage effect change?

And since it doesn’t, I don’t want to ruin the rest of my day being mad at Frost, or the university that hired him. I love the huskers and I want them to absolutely succeed, but I’m not gonna rant and rave about how bad the product is every chance I get. There’s enough of that as it is.

I guess I don’t get why the outrage is so important. I choose to not let this consume every moment I have as a fan. I am not a season ticket holder, nor am I a booster of any kind, other than buying husker gear. How does my outrage effect change?

And since it doesn’t, I don’t want to ruin the rest of my day being mad at Frost, or the university that hired him. I love the huskers and I want them to absolutely succeed, but I’m not gonna rant and rave about how bad the product is every chance I get. There’s enough of that as it is.
it doesn't consume my every moment.. not at all.. the amount of time and money I invest in husker football continues to decline.. I guess I am not at the apathy level like everyone else just yet. Fire that fraud already!

It is certainly an interesting study of inherent bias

when coach A without Husker ties is burned at the stake after going .500 with 2 bowl games in 3 years and coach B with Husker ties is < .400 with no bowl games in 3 years gets treated with kid gloves

if Frost moves on the next AD would be wise to approach Matt Turman or Monte Christo about the position

There were assurances made to the McCaffrey family during recruitment - suggesting that Luke change positions would only further amplify the narrative that promises made during recruitment are not necessarily honored after signing day

this staff can’t let this narrative become any louder than it already has
The Nebraska qb will probably always be injury prone the way Frost chooses to use them.

when coach A without Husker ties is burned at the stake after going .500 with 2 bowl games in 3 years and coach B with Husker ties is < .400 with no bowl games in 3 years gets treated with kid gloves

if Frost moves on the next AD would be wise to approach Matt Turman or Monte Christo about the position

Jesus you are like a ****ing broken record. Get some new material already.

Another interesting study is examining the poster who says the same tired thing in each thread without fail. At some point I would think said poster would get tired of the cut and paste, but he continues to surprise.

Jeff Quinn is a nice guy, goes to my church here in Texas....underrated like Jamal lord

I don’t think Luke is a D1 QB. But how is Frost going to lose the locker room by sticking up for a player? Seems bad mouthing that kid to media, would do more damage than sticking up for him. And why do people continually claim he’s going to lose that locker room?
I said he wasn’t a d1 qb back when we recruited him. He didn’t even start at valor until his senior year

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT