ADVERTISEMENT

Frost is coaching scared

His play calling sucks this year. Very predictable and zero continuity...

The offense is all based off the inside zone running game. Our offensive line couldn’t consistently block Millard west. It puts frost is a tough position in that he has to outscheme the opponent every play rather than put them in conflict and make them run circles around themselves.

The offense is all based off the inside zone running game. Our offensive line couldn’t consistently block Millard west. It puts frost is a tough position in that he has to outscheme the opponent every play rather than put them in conflict and make them run circles around themselves.

This. I haven't paid really close attention to the blocking schemes but I only remember one play where we used outside zone. Our o-line is a long ways away from being able to operate in this offense and it's actually pretty impressive that we are scoring as many points as we have.

Reactions: bshirt73
This makes a lot of sense. Sounds like Greg Austin has he’s work cut out.

Reactions: Crazyhole
This makes a lot of sense. Sounds like Greg Austin has he’s work cut out.

I think we have a lot of talent on the offensive line, it’s just all young. IMO it’s the hardest place to plug and play. It really takes time and development. 18 year old high school kids just can’t physically hang in the trenches with rare exception. It’s the reason why Iowa and wiscy do so well with average recruiting and consistency in scheme/staff. They just put kids in a program and after 3-4 years, they count on them to know scheme and be men vs the boys on the other side. Since mike Reilly didn’t push strength and conditioning, Frost is starting from ground zero and it’ll take another year or two for us to really make stride imo.

I think we have a lot of talent on the offensive line, it’s just all young. IMO it’s the hardest place to plug and play. It really takes time and development. 18 year old high school kids just can’t physically hang in the trenches with rare exception. It’s the reason why Iowa and wiscy do so well with average recruiting and consistency in scheme/staff. They just put kids in a program and after 3-4 (actually 4-5, but I get your point) years, they count on them to know scheme and be men vs the boys on the other side. Since mike Reilly didn’t push strength and conditioning, Frost is starting from ground zero and it’ll take another year or two for us to really make stride imo.
Spot on! There is no other position group that depends more on experience in a system and time in a program than Offensive Line.

Coach Austin has stated that he really likes our talent. They may have a shot to be really good but they are still figuring it out.

Several current issues with our line and reasons to be optimistic:
1. The OLine has no senior starters on the 2 deep
2. Our starting LT is a True Junior. He never had the chance to redshirt and ideally would still be a Sophomore
3. Our starting Center is praised by our staff but he's a Freshman, coming off injury, and learning absolutely everything on the fly. By his JR or SR season he may be awesome!
4. Our line is mainly underclassmen. We have three Freshmen and four Sophomores. That leaves us with only four total upperclassmen. Our entire line returns next season and they will all have 2-3 years experience with Coach Austin and our system.

To compare our line to Wisconsin's:
1. The Badgers starting five consist of four upperclassmen
2. Every one of their Linemen have redshirted
3. Wisconsin doesn't have a single member of their 2018 recruiting class on their OLs 2 deep yet. Cam Jurgens was in that class and is already starting at a position he's never played.
4. Wisconsin only has one Sophomore starting this season and four Sophomores as second string. That will leave them with seven returning upperclassmen next season from their two deep. Most of them will have two more seasons in their system.

There will be plenty to complain about this season, we just have to remember to be patient. Frost is building a program and it's taking a little time. His staff did it in 2 years at UCF, just imagine what they may be able to do in 4 to 5 years with NU.

Last edited:

This^

I think we have a lot of talent on the offensive line, it’s just all young. IMO it’s the hardest place to plug and play. It really takes time and development. 18 year old high school kids just can’t physically hang in the trenches with rare exception. It’s the reason why Iowa and wiscy do so well with average recruiting and consistency in scheme/staff. They just put kids in a program and after 3-4 years, they count on them to know scheme and be men vs the boys on the other side. Since mike Reilly didn’t push strength and conditioning, Frost is starting from ground zero and it’ll take another year or two for us to really make stride imo.

Maybe Jurgens. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

When I see the "trunks" of our OL I see skinny fat guys with small legs and arms. Our OL recruiting MUST IMPROVE.

This is what we need to look like folks...

636511961625246217-USATSI-9526435-1-.jpg

Spot on! There is no other position group that depends more on experience in a system and time in a program than Offensive Line.

Coach Austin has stated that he really likes our talent. They may have a shot to be really good but they are still figuring it out.

Several current issues with our line and reasons to be optimistic:
1. The OLine has no senior starters on the 2 deep
2. Our starting LT is a True Junior. He never had the chance to redshirt and ideally would still be a Sophomore
3. Our starting Center is praised by our staff but he's a Freshman, coming off injury, and learning absolutely everything on the fly. By his JR or SR season he may be awesome!
4. Our line is mainly underclassmen. We have three Freshmen and four Sophomores. That leaves us with only four total upperclassmen. Our entire line returns next season and they will all have 2-3 years experience with Coach Austin and our system.

To compare our line to Wisconsin's:
1. The Badgers starting five consist of four upperclassmen
2. Every one of their Linemen have redshirted
3. Wisconsin doesn't have a single member of their 2018 recruiting class on their OLs 2 deep yet. Cam Jurgens was in that class and is already starting at a position he's never played.
4. Wisconsin only has one Sophomore starting this season and four Sophomores as second string. That will leave them with seven returning upperclassmen next season from their two deep. Most of them will have two more seasons in their system.

There will be plenty to complain about this season, we just have to remember to be patient. Frost is building a program and it's taking a little time. His staff did it in 2 years at UCF, just imagine what they may be able to do in 4 to 5 years with NU.
But I want it now. I might be dead from myocardial infarction by the time we win something.

Maybe Jurgens. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

When I see the "trunks" of our OL I see skinny fat guys with small legs and arms. Our OL recruiting MUST IMPROVE.

I think we have some talented guys from last years class that are being (smartly) redshirted. Only way young oline guys are playing this year is if the staff is forced to play or have already used their redshirt. They’re building for the future and putting true freshman on the field that have talent but aren’t developed yet isn’t the way to build for the future.

I found his post game comments interesting... We need to take our own advice of no fear of failure as coaches.
Remember this later in the year when we have a 4 or 5 pick game...there is a reason his instinct is telling him to be careful. His qb still isn't comfortable with the system, his offensive line is young and inexperienced, and he has one wr who is comfortable, and only one every down back who is learning how to hit the proper holes created by an oline that doesn't really create holes. The best indicators of whether you will win a game:

1. Turnover Margin
2. Field position

This generally means that there is a fine balance between turning the ball over, or setting your team with a long or short field, and playing super vanilla.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT