ADVERTISEMENT

Frost getting cold feet?

I think at this point in the game, anything can happen and everyone is an expert or has "sources." ADBM has seemed to play things very nicely since his arrival and you want to believe it when he says he has interest from several coaches to include Frost.

So with that said, let the chips fall where they may!

Reactions: arf_man
On the new Golic and Wingo radio show this morning, Booger McFarland said that he has heard that Scott Frost is getting cold feet about the Nebraska job because of the the inability to recruit nationally there. He said that Frost may stay at UCF. Who knows if there is anything to that.

...Just stop....you can't possibly believe this trash right....?

That's pretty funny. After playing for and winning a national championship, of course he thinks it's impossible to recruit to Nebraska. Oh and also since he was likely contacted as soon as Moos was hired, he didn't even think about the pros and cons until just now.

Another uneducated point of view about "Nebraska is done" - we heard also that "Nebraska is too slow" before Nebraska wiped Florida with speed and power.
They’re so scared that we’ll turn back into the program we used to be. LOL

Reactions: Sinomatic
I realize that it's not exactly fair to parse every word from Moos' press conference and expect 100% accuracy, though on the other hand he seemed extremely up front, transparent, and honest about everything thrown at him (other than the Philly meeting).

Probably the most concerning thing (to me, anyway) he said was in regard to Frost, in that he "has a job he really likes right now." That kind of thing can be inferred from press clippings, of course, but it struck me more as if it were a conclusion based on personal conversation with him.

I think those that are simply waiting for next Sunday and an announcement of Frost to NU are counting chickens, as they say. There's a lot of other things going on that lead one to believe Scott is staying:

1. The Excellence Fund for assistant coaching salaries, of which Frost is personally donating large sums.
2. The recent announcement of a contract extension for their AD. That smacks like a demand from Frost (at the very least, a hurdle intelligently removed by UCF). Having the AD that hired you locked up long term is a big deal to coaches. Ask Riley.
3. The significant contract extension and raise sitting on Frost's desk.

Those aren't behaviors of a coach and athletic department that are expecting their coach to leave.

All that said, this could all go away with a simple statement from Frost that he simply isn't interested in the Nebraska job. That hasn't happened - so there is at least some hope.

UNSIGNED,

Sincerely,

Scott Frost

Cold feet or buyers remorse, is common for anyone. Does not mean a thing. Does not mean Frost won't go thru with it. With Job changes and big life changes, its only human to be a little like "oh sh*t, what'd I do" when one is leaving their comfort area.But again, it's just nerves and Frost will get over that. and it's expected to have those feelings. I bet Chip Kelly has some buyers remorse going to UCLA & Mullen leaving Mississippi State (a job he truly could have retired at).

But when it comes to college football @ ESPN I trust Chris Fowler more than anyone @ ABC/ESPN and he says Frost is N. Booger was 12 years old when Chris started doing game day and Chris covers all NCAA football not just SEC football. Just shows Booger has zero "inside scoop" outside of the SEC saying he has cold feet. That's like saying Scott is breathing. Wow. Way to go out on a ledge buddy. I had the buyers remorse feeling when I buy everything. I had the cold feet feeling before I got married, but still married. Also, McFarland doesn't like looking bad and when he said Frost would not becoming to NU, now making him look bad. He is completely holding on to it until his projection until he has to eat crow.

Also, Thinking Booger is a little butt hurt because Scott didn't fall for the all powerful SEC. Scott's move not decline the Florida offer is another big piece in crippling the SEC. Urban to tOSU was the first step and IMO this is the next big step.

Created by the very same people pining for Scott to fix things for them

I realize that it's not exactly fair to parse every word from Moos' press conference and expect 100% accuracy, though on the other hand he seemed extremely up front, transparent, and honest about everything thrown at him (other than the Philly meeting).

Probably the most concerning thing (to me, anyway) he said was in regard to Frost, in that he "has a job he really likes right now." That kind of thing can be inferred from press clippings, of course, but it struck me more as if it were a conclusion based on personal conversation with him.

I think those that are simply waiting for next Sunday and an announcement of Frost to NU are counting chickens, as they say. There's a lot of other things going on that lead one to believe Scott is staying:

1. The Excellence Fund for assistant coaching salaries, of which Frost is personally donating large sums.
2. The recent announcement of a contract extension for their AD. That smacks like a demand from Frost (at the very least, a hurdle intelligently removed by UCF). Having the AD that hired you locked up long term is a big deal to coaches. Ask Riley.

Those aren't behaviors of a coach and athletic department that are expecting their coach to leave.

All that said, this could all go away with a simple statement from Frost that he simply isn't interested in the Nebraska job. That hasn't happened - so there is at least some hope.

He doesn't even need to make a statement. All he would need to do is sign that extension that has been on his desk for over a week.

Lol, booger...... good one.

Yeah, he gets cold feet because of recruiting, but won't leave a non-power 5 school for POWERHOUSE Florida, even though it is in the same recruiting territory as his current school. If Scott was an Ohio State grad he would have taken the Florida job because UCF is so inconsistent in terms of resources and the type of talent he can regularly get. Plus if he loses one game he will never get any exposure...talk about pressure. Even at Nebraska he will likely get to a championship game at 10-2 or 9-3.

Yeah, he gets cold feet because of recruiting, but won't leave a non-power 5 school for POWERHOUSE Florida, even though it is in the same recruiting territory as his current school. If Scott was an Ohio State grad he would have taken the Florida job because UCF is so inconsistent in terms of resources and the type of talent he can regularly get. Plus if he loses one game he will never get any exposure...talk about pressure. Even at Nebraska he will likely get to a championship game at 10-2 or 9-3.
Good points, and your players will win NOTHING!!!! look at San Diego St. Beat Arizona state and Stanford, then completely falls off the map with losses. And Rashard Penny their running back, who blows everbody in the nation out of the water with stats doesn't even get Doak Walker finalist let alone Heisman.

Despite its success this year, UCF has no shot at a National title — this year and never. Its facilities and fan support are second level, at best. Frost knows this. While it will be a massive task getting the Husker to an elite level again, at least we have a history of competing on a national level. We are certainly capable of achieving something like Wisky achieved this year. I believe Frost did that mental math, and I’m hopeful he’s coming home.

Gosh, if only NU could have figured out how to recruit nationally under T.O. I mean, what could we have accomplished if we could have recruited players from places like N.J., Florida, Missouri, Oklahoma, D.C., MN, CA, TX, WI, and others places I'm leaving out. Maybe we could have played for like 6 national titles or maybe even won or competed for conference titles every year. Heck, maybe we could have been competitive against SEC teams in bowl games even.

I guess we can only dream.

It is not unheard of for coaches to take jobs and then days or weeks later back out. Notwithstanding Booger’s comments, I’d be very surprised if Scott isn’t losing a lot of sleep this week. He has a very good job and figures to be very successful for as long as he stays there. He knows the NU job will be a buzzsaw.

And of course, we have no idea how thrilled his Arizona native wife is about the frozen tundra and whether she has a career that will be ruined. This isn't 1950 when dutiful wives were told where they would live and work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huskerfan2112
It is not unheard of for coaches to take jobs and then days or weeks later back out. Notwithstanding Booger’s comments, I’d be very surprised if Scott isn’t losing a lot of sleep this week. He has a very good job and figures to be very successful for as long as he stays there. He knows the NU job will be a buzzsaw.

And of course, we have no idea how thrilled his Arizona native wife is about the frozen tundra and whether she has a career that will be ruined. This isn't 1950 when dutiful wives were told where they would live and work.

No, but I'd have to think Scott's desire to return to his dream job came up before they tied the knot. Also, look at Dan Mullens's wife. She trashed Gainesville on their way out, but 30 million dollars will change a lot of wives' minds.

Reactions: jimbosc

The "frozen tundra"? Give me a break. This is Nebraska, not North Dakota. People act like there's snow on the ground and it's below freezing for 6 months of the year in Lincoln. Sometimes I wonder if the people who talk about how cold it is in Nebraska all the time have ever really spent much time here? Sure it gets cold here in the winter. But no more so and no longer than a bunch of other places, and less than a number of places too.

I think the national experts think in terms of the Nebraska job and throw Frost in with all the other candidates without factoring in how strong the alma mater factor is.

Frost is one of the hottest coaching candidates on the market right now ... I don't think we would have had a prayer of landing him if he didn't play here. The "experts" figure that the #1or 2 coaching candidate on the market would in no way take the Nebraska job when aTm, Florida, potentially FSU etc in play.

The "frozen tundra"? Give me a break. This is Nebraska, not North Dakota. People act like there's snow on the ground and it's below freezing for 6 months of the year in Lincoln. Sometimes I wonder if the people who talk about how cold it is in Nebraska all the time have ever really spent much time here? Sure it gets cold here in the winter. But no more so and no longer than a bunch of other places, and less than a number of places too.
So you don’t think the frozen tundra comment was made in jest? When people take shots at Phoenix as being hot as Hell, I think it’s funny — and fairly accurate.

Truth is, the UCF job is a pretty good one. Their program is growing, and they have a large school, of about 55,000+ students or so. They just got a new stadium and I'm sure their facilities are decent. To be honest, they should be in a better conference from what I've seen. They have the ability to compete. Fertile recruiting ground, and a growing program could be very enticing to a young coach.

For a G5. But not a great college football head coaching position overall.

Yes, they have a large campus and student body, but they don't show up for games. And unless they go to a P5 conference, he'll never get a shot at the playoffs.

RIght now I think cold feet are a good sign? Why:

Booger can't know that SF has cold feet as all talk from the coach is on lock down right now.

SF has already (thank goodness) turned down UF. This is HUGE. If he wasn't coming to NU, why not also tell them now and let them move forward?

Whether TO called and asked SF to "come home" or not is not relevant, because the need is obvious. NU is at a serious crossroads right now, and if SF doesn't come home, the future looks bleak. Who else has the brains, know how, leadership and excellence to revise this mess? And its a mess because they've been repeatedly going for second tier coaches. After Frost, who's left? NU needs to put big $$$ on the table and pay SF like his is the top candidate that he is. Compete for him and win; get him to NU.

Competition is also key. Not sure what his reasons were for turning down the UF job, but why stay put? Building UCF is one thing, and building up the conference is another. Will be decades before that division is competing with top schools, making players better through big rivalries and getting the foot in the door of the rankings and CF playoff. B1G IS a top tier division, and as NU improves they will have rivals with Wisky, IA and then UM, PSU & OSU. To be the best, you have to compete and beat the best.

SF was at Stanford, and you have to be smart to get in there. He is playing this whole scenario smart as well, so patience is required. Both SF and AD Moos are saying ALL the right things. No progress and apparent cold feet mean that all remains in play...

For those playing the SF as yet another NU savior card, lets be real. Devaney & Osborne were not saviors, but great FB coaches. Hard work, brains and dedication got them a long way, all the way to the HOF. SF is not BC, BP or MR, but a Stanford/NU student and champion, an NFL player, and has an amazing coaching pedigree. This is not a second tier hire by any means. There are no guarantees, but he is not likely to fail at NU as have others. What he did at UCF is amazing and shows his coaching abilities. Winners like that are rare. However, even if that is a fluke, he remains the top choice (nationally as well) and a home run hire. His parents are in Lincoln, so is his heart. Moos is right that NU has all the infrastructure & support in place, and it is only natural for NU fans to clamor and embrace one of their own, a champion who continues to pursue championships wherever he's at, and who has the leadership (he was our QB after all), brains and class to deserve the offer, and the best chance there is to stop the bleeding and right the listing ship in the B1G sea its sinking in.

Looking good that Frost is coming home, and if so, it will be a true HOME RUN hire. NU fans know it, and the world knows it too.

Booger can't know that SF has cold feet as all talk from the coach is on lock down right now.

SF has already (thank goodness) turned down UF. This is HUGE. If he wasn't coming to NU, why not also tell them now and let them move forward?

Whether TO called and asked SF to "come home" or not is not relevant, because the need is obvious. NU is at a serious crossroads right now, and if SF doesn't come home, the future looks bleak. Who else has the brains, know how, leadership and excellence to revise this mess? And its a mess because they've been repeatedly going for second tier coaches. After Frost, who's left? NU needs to put big $$$ on the table and pay SF like his is the top candidate that he is. Compete for him and win; get him to NU.

Competition is also key. Not sure what his reasons were for turning down the UF job, but why stay put? Building UCF is one thing, and building up the conference is another. Will be decades before that division is competing with top schools, making players better through big rivalries and getting the foot in the door of the rankings and CF playoff. B1G IS a top tier division, and as NU improves they will have rivals with Wisky, IA and then UM, PSU & OSU. To be the best, you have to compete and beat the best.

SF was at Stanford, and you have to be smart to get in there. He is playing this whole scenario smart as well, so patience is required. Both SF and AD Moos are saying ALL the right things. No progress and apparent cold feet mean that all remains in play...

For those playing the SF as yet another NU savior card, lets be real. Devaney & Osborne were not saviors, but great FB coaches. Hard work, brains and dedication got them a long way, all the way to the HOF. SF is not BC, BP or MR, but a Stanford/NU student and champion, an NFL player, and has an amazing coaching pedigree. This is not a second tier hire by any means. There are no guarantees, but he is not likely to fail at NU as have others. What he did at UCF is amazing and shows his coaching abilities. Winners like that are rare. However, even if that is a fluke, he remains the top choice (nationally as well) and a home run hire. His parents are in Lincoln, so is his heart. Moos is right that NU has all the infrastructure & support in place, and it is only natural for NU fans to clamor and embrace one of their own, a champion who continues to pursue championships wherever he's at, and who has the leadership (he was our QB after all), brains and class to deserve the offer, and the best chance there is to stop the bleeding and right the listing ship in the B1G sea its sinking in.

Looking good that Frost is coming home, and if so, it will be a true HOME RUN hire. NU fans know it, and the world knows it too.
Great post, said everything I wanted to say and hear.

On the new Golic and Wingo radio show this morning, Booger McFarland said that he has heard that Scott Frost is getting cold feet about the Nebraska job because of the the inability to recruit nationally there. He said that Frost may stay at UCF. Who knows if there is anything to that.

Harrison Phillips, Nathan Bazata, Noah Fant

Reactions: huskerfan1414
For a G5. But not a great college football head coaching position overall.

Yes, they have a large campus and student body, but they don't show up for games. And unless they go to a P5 conference, he'll never get a shot at the playoffs.
Agree. They have 55,000 students because anyone with a pulse gets in. UCF’s only appeal is that it’s warm there and you can recruit cheaply (though they compete with Florida, FSU, Miami and the rest of the SEC for the top talent). It’s gotten better under Frost but it’s nowhere near a P5 level.

If it wasn’t going to be Frost we would know by now. Day 3 of the search and all we have are crickets. No reports of Moos making any moves to anyone. No vetting of anyone. Nothing. After 3 Days if it wasn’t locked sealed and delivered you’d hear about options 2 and 3 by now.

usually the one with the 7 figure salary decides where to live

If it wasn’t going to be Frost we would know by now. Day 3 of the search and all we have are crickets. No reports of Moos making any moves to anyone. No vetting of anyone. Nothing. After 3 Days if it wasn’t locked sealed and delivered you’d hear about options 2 and 3 by now.

If didn't want the job then he would have made it clear so we could have moved on. There is no way he drags the University along all this time to not come.

Reactions: StrongArm517
The urban legend = inability to recruit nationally to Nebraska

Like you said, it is perceived and not actually true.
actually NU had to recruit nationally for along time. we don't border florida texas or california..or ohio, michigan, ect..so that's nothing new.
what is new is recruiting passing offense players compared to the run..

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
why was harbaugh to mich ok but frost to neb is such a non starter. mich hasn't won shit lately either. get rid of 97 and they haven't won shit in half a century.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
But TO called him and told him to come home.. Did Booger forget about that?

Shocked that a guy who grew up in Nebraska and went to school there is all of a sudden going to have it dawn on him what the Nebraska job takes.

If Being able to recruit at a high level was important to Scott, he probably doesn't turn down going to Gainesville.

The season is still going on, would be pretty unethical for TO to do that.

Oh wait, it's Osbourne, so it probably did happen

Really great post, and I agree with every word of it. Frost is not a savior, but a great coach who will quickly fix obvious flaws (ie., defense play and confidence) and gradually build us back. There will, no doubt, be a few bumps along the way, but I am convinced he will toughen up our line play, and end the blowout/meltdowns.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Agree. They have 55,000 students because anyone with a pulse gets in. UCF’s only appeal is that it’s warm there and you can recruit cheaply (though they compete with Florida, FSU, Miami and the rest of the SEC for the top talent). It’s gotten better under Frost but it’s nowhere near a P5 level.

65,000 students and the average GPA of the fall 2017 class was 4.01

But go ahead and try again.....

ADVERTISEMENT