ADVERTISEMENT

Frost + Diaco

NebChicago

Senior
Oct 14, 2009
speculation-palooza:
Suppose we let Riley go, Diacos D shows significant improvement, and we end up luring Frost home. Any chance we keep Diaco, as a stabilizing measure... kind of like Watson when Bo was hired?

Exciting young staff for recruits

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Would love to keep Diaco, plus several assistants (JP, Williams x2), but I'm not sure how realistic it is to ask a new coach to keep half the old staff.

Interesting question, what would be more risky, bringing in Frost and a entirely new coaching staff, or giving Diaco another shot now that's he grown under Riley and assuming Diaco can keep the best coaches on staff while bringing in a top flight OC?

Reactions: HudsonValleyHusker
The D has definitely stepped up and improved since the first game. I like what Diaco has done so far. Diaco will be a great HC some day. Would love to see what he could do here if Riley is no longer the man but it would never happen. We really need the next head coach to be a homerun and Diaco is not a proven HC yet.

Reactions: sparky62
Option 1: Letting Frost come in with an entire new staff.

Problem: Now we must go through another transition. The players must now learn a whole new scheme on both sides of the ball. There will be growing pains everywhere. Fans will be upset blah blah blah. Maybe there wouldn't be growing pains though... who knows.

Option 2: Frost comes in and keeps the defensive staff.

Problem: None? Maybe: Frost might not be happy with Diaco's style of defense. He may not be happy with a 3-4 defense. Frost might be upset that he didn't get to bring along his staff/assistants or get to pick his assistants.

Who says Diaco would want to stay and be DC for a younger head coach? Who knows.

When Bo came along, the offense wasn't the problem and so the offensive staff was somewhat kept as Bo was a new head coach without much of a coaching tree. It is not necessarily the opposite just yet as we don't know for sure that the D is a keeper, but we should know this by the end of the season.

Frost is now a head coach, but has he grown a coaching tree yet? If he has not, I can definitely see him retaining some members of the current staff, especially an old blackshirt in JP.

If Riley saves his job this season, at this rate it looks like it will mainly be because of Diaco. But as I say that, I recall that we're only 4 games in and Northern Illinois & Rutgers are not Ohio State & Penn State offenses...gulp... only time will tell.

IF the Nebraska defense gets stout-good and Riley saves his job for a few years, I could see a scenario where Bobby gets called home. And one thing to remember is that Iowa is not UCONN.

I'll ask this again: Have any of you watched a UCF game in it's entirety?

Iowa native Erik Chinander is Frosts DC at UCF. He has the knights at #15 in total defense after 2 games against oponents better than Ark St & NIU. Where's Diacos total defense place? Not top 50.

DIaco is not a head coach. Some coaches are strictly coordinators and there's nothing wrong with that as you could argue coordinators are just as important to a teams success.
The head coaching gig was awful for him. That's ok. Some guys are good at both, others are better at head coach than they would be as coordinators.

How about Frost comes, Diaco stays, Riley moves to offensive coordinator (to avoid the total buyout), after Rimington does his stint as AD he coaches OL, Frost brings in his RB coach and whoever else he wants, but it is "suggested" he keep the rest of the staff.

speculation-palooza:
Suppose we let Riley go, Diacos D shows significant improvement, and we end up luring Frost home. Any chance we keep Diaco, as a stabilizing measure... kind of like Watson when Bo was hired?

Exciting young staff for recruits
If Diaco doesn't have an offer from another school by the end of season there is something really wrong with the guy.

If Riley saves his job this season, at this rate it looks like it will mainly be because of Diaco. But as I say that, I recall that we're only 4 games in and Northern Illinois & Rutgers are not Ohio State & Penn State offenses...gulp... only time will tell.

IF the Nebraska defense gets stout-good and Riley saves his job for a few years, I could see a scenario where Bobby gets called home. And one thing to remember is that Iowa is not UCONN.
Iowa may not be UCONN, but don't make them out to be something big either.

Last edited:
I'm hopeful but not sold on Diaco defence. Oregon let off the gas in the second half. The last two games were agenst pretty poor offences. See what happens in 2-3 weeks. If we keep up the imrovment through them games ill be ready to crown him the defence coordinater we all hoped for.

Reactions: oldjar07
By all accounts, Diaco was not a ringing success as a head coach in more than one way. What happened to the "open the checkbook" and get "the best person out there" group who will only settle for the most seasoned and proven HC available. I can't see him as being the person.

Yea, he runs the 3-4 or a version of it. I like the 3-4 in general but not sure about the version the Huskers are running. Bending eventually leads to some breaking while I would take a slightly more aggressive version and I believe recruits would rather be part of that style as well. What do you tell a recruit? Is that how they get prepared for the NFL? not saying guys won't go to the league but I think you know what I am talking about.

Head coaches will get to pick their own staff, selecting from current members and those from other teams. Can you imagine the outrage when a HC is ordered to keep certain assistants when the walls come crumbling down or a weakness arises in coaching?

Let's see how this D holds up to better teams going forward before we anoint Diaco as the next coming of defensive greatness. Does anyone think the NFL would tap him for this style of 3-4 play?

The other thing to consider is what type of offense a HC wants to run. If none of your assistants are experienced in it, they are at a disadvantage.

My hope is this group, coaches and players surprise everyone and put a string together that calms the most avid skeptic. Success is the goal, is it not?

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Unlike being practical and forecasting the short and long-term future by even considering someone who has won a NC and has a .77 winning percentage in the SEC and with a son on the team, let's hire Scott Frost because, you know, Nebraska ties and such. Plus he'll be cheaper or around the same price as Riley and he is an up and coming 8-7 coach. Plus we don't want anyone else to snatch him away!

So let's screw letting him grow and develop as a HC with the potential of snagging him down the line when he is ripe. Let's go snag this Husker who has been a head coach for only one full year in his life.

Seriously folks, can you imagine if we actually hired SF and he ended up being terrible? What then, huh? Do we fire Trev Alberts when that happens? Would you give your own money for SF over anyone else, knowing you had a personal and professional stake in his success? Is SF the one to bring in the next generation of young adult's money into the program?

Reactions: stonesak
I'll ask this again: Have any of you watched a UCF game in it's entirety?

Iowa native Erik Chinander is Frosts DC at UCF. He has the knights at #15 in total defense after 2 games against oponents better than Ark St & NIU. Where's Diacos total defense place? Not top 50.
I agree, I watched the Maryland game and very impressed with UCF's defense.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
He'll no on Diaco. If this fails, get rid of everyone. Frost already appears to have assembled a good staff. Let him bring in his guys.

In all fairness, Bob's defense hasn't really been tested yet. You might think it is vastly improved, but against who? NIU & Rutgers?

Also, he was a head coach once before, and utterly failed. Besides, I can't see him working with SF because last time he was butthurt over the whole Conflict trophy fiasco.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
I think everyone on this board is in a fantasy land. how does anybody know that scott frost even wants to leave florida for this job. Riley is still the coach and will be at least until the end of the season, you all are counting your chickens before they hatch so instead of talking about something that may or may not happen focus on the present and talk about something real, like getting rid of the oc and ol coach and bringing in someone that is better

Iowa may not be UCONN, but don't make them out to be something big either.
They're one of the biggest money makers in all of college football, they have a large and rabid fanbase, they're a known NFL factory(which is a huge recruiting tool that has been paying off the past couple years) and they have plenty of excellent football history. Their facilities are some of the best in the B1G, and they're respected by every other team in the B1G. Nebraska has earned no ones respect yet in the B1G. So yeah, they're something B1G.

They're one of the biggest money makers in all of college football, they have a large and rabid fanbase, they're a known NFL factory(which is a huge recruiting tool that has been paying off the past couple years) and they have plenty of excellent football history. Their facilities are some of the best in the B1G, and they're respected by every other team in the B1G. Nebraska has earned no ones respect yet in the B1G. So yeah, they're something B1G.
And people say Nebraska fans are delusional.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
You mean the large and rabid fan base that couldn’t even sell out the night game against Penn State last weekend?

Thanks for playing. Game over.

Now we can say end of story.
You call out Iowans for having a life before NCAA football? You're cute. Also,...what has the sold out crowd status given you? How many destructions have you been part of on National TV? At least a dozen or more? Laughing stock of the B1G.....who is that right now?

I'm sorry, but we have to evaluate where you are right now, and quite frankly, we see no reason to focus on you now. You wimped out of the Black Friday game, and luckily we got a REAL team to face in Wiscy(have you charged them with rape yet?) instead. You're just not a factor anymore. How badly do you think Wiscy kills you by? Are you on upset alert in Champagne? You should be.

You call out Iowans for having a life before NCAA football? You're cute. Also,...what has the sold out crowd status given you? How many destructions have you been part of on National TV? At least a dozen or more? Laughing stock of the B1G.....who is that right now?

I'm sorry, but we have to evaluate where you are right now, and quite frankly, we see no reason to focus on you now. You wimped out of the Black Friday game, and luckily we got a REAL team to face in Wiscy(have you charged them with rape yet?) instead. You're just not a factor anymore. How badly do you think Wiscy kills you by? Are you on upset alert in Champagne? You should be.
That’s funny. You came here blowing your horn about how great Iowa is, and You asked me to prove that what you said was false, following it up with “you can’t”.

Guess what? I didn’t have to go far in the past to take you down. This wasn’t a game against Towson State or anything. This was top 5 Penn State and you guys couldn’t sell out. Wow, rabid fans.

Whatever.

Now all of a sudden you say, we have to evaluate where you are right now.

If you wanted to evaluate where Nebraska is, why come here saying how great you are?

Reactions: Mack In Motion
That’s funny. You came here blowing your horn about how great Iowa is, and You asked me to prove that what you said was false, following it up with “you can’t”.

Guess what? I didn’t have to go far in the past to take you down. This wasn’t a game against Towson State or anything. This was top 5 Penn State and you guys couldn’t sell out. Wow, rabid fans.

Whatever.

Now all of a sudden you say, we have to evaluate where you are right now.

If you wanted to evaluate where Nebraska is, why come here saying how great you are?
Not selling out in a smallish, yet two large University state isn't exactly new. We don't really care about that. It's a trend everywhere but Nebraska.Which goes right in line with, 'ya ain't got nothing else to do.'

Guess ya missed the evaluation comment? Your former AD had to evaluate where "Iowa was as a program" once. Well, he's jobless, and you're 2-2, and about to head into the meat of B1G play. The record is like 16-14 too since that comment was made.

Sorry Lil' bro, no one is scared of you. You're like the second smallest school in the B1G by the way.

Yeah Maryland their 3rd string, but did you pay attention to the line play? UCF's D-Line was in the Maryland backfield all day. The same O-Line that had their way with Texas. Whatever. You dislike Frost no matter what so you're just going to regurgitate the same talking points all the Frost haters have. Truth is you probably didn't even watch any of the UCF- Maryland game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT