ADVERTISEMENT

Frost comments on O-Line

We heard the stories last fall about Frost "getting more involved with the O line in practice". We saw immediate results with a shakeup with who was starting and the way they played. Then we slid back a little with some injuries. Tom notoriously kept on assistants who were under performing and helped them do their jobs until it became obvious they were never going to get it. Maybe Frost was trying to do that with Austin. Austin is a good guy but probably never going to be the right guy to coach our O line.

Back to the original point though, no matter what Frost says, he's going to get ripped until (IF) he wins. I'm just kind of tired of the whining from our fans every time he does one of his required media availabilities.
And we don't know what prompted Frost to get involved in the O line. Maybe after 40 games it dawned on him the offensive line wasn't cutting it and maybe the wrong guys were manning the positions. Others think there was another reason.

The timing of the injuries sucked. They began to have the look of a pretty decent OL after 3+ years of struggling.

Mentioning Frost in the same breath as Coach Osborne as a Head Coach is cringe worthy. Osborne didn't wait until the house was engulfed in flames to call the Fire Department.

This is encouraging! The kid who has flunked four years of schooling looks like he’s learning a couple things.

Every single time he talks to the media, there's a thread about him needing to shut up and show us on the field. Every single time. Everything he says is picked apart. He could say the new field turf is green and there would be incessant bitching about it being the wrong shade of green. Nobody has to listen to him or read what he said if it upsets them so much.
When you win 3-4 games a year at a blueblood school for 4 years, you get that kind of apathy. Anyone else would have been fired long ago. I don't really care what he says (or don't says) at this point. If he can finally get to 8+ wins and save his job, I know exactly where the credit will lie. With Alberts.

I think thompson hitting passes & hanging onto the ball
the rb's start doing their job
the wr's start catching the ball
the special teams start doing something worth value
frost being more of a nil ceo and making sure players are on the straight and narrow,
less involved in play calling

this will help make the o-line alot better
it will give them a lil room to breath and become more developed

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
My hope is frost has heard a steady diet of kiss my ass from the fans for about 50 straight months

he deserves it

does he think our memories are as short as his must be to make these comments? laugh out loud hilarious to say the above with a straight face
I mean...he said they are working hard. What should he say? They look like dog shit?

Every single time he talks to the media, there's a thread about him needing to shut up and show us on the field. Every single time. Everything he says is picked apart. He could say the new field turf is green and there would be incessant bitching about it being the wrong shade of green. Nobody has to listen to him or read what he said if it upsets them so much.
Imagine the reaction if Frost decided not to do press conferences.

Yeah, he didn't say that. I get you don't like the guy, but that's not a good reason to twist his words.
He says the O-line is doubling their output in practice now compared to previous years....which directly means that their output was HALF in previous years.

frost being more of a nil ceo and making sure players are on the straight and narrow,
less involved in play calling
Just hire a business expert then. Or a super rich guy. Or better yet, a politician. What a pathetic state-of-affairs college football has become if this is the case.

I guess I have a different take. Frost is seeing a totally different style of blocking. Austin taught the OL to allow the DL to make the first move and then the OL takes them the direction they want to go and the back has to find the hole. Now, Raiola is teaching the players (as I understand it) to drive, engage and keep driving the DL to create the hole where it is supposed to be. If I understand all of this correctly, this has to look totally different in practice and more like Frost saw when he was a QB. But, I could be all wrong, I have been before.

I think frost should have been fired, just as a preface.

However, at this point hes simply out of things to say. He has to say something. He has to be positive. I dont know what else hes supposed to say.

As others have said he has taken crap for saying nothing, too.

This is something that I can look at 3 different ways.

First of all, NU has 9 returning OL that figure to play the majority of snaps, not including transfers Anthony and Williams who will replace Jurgens and Nouili as likely contributors for a total of 11 OL.

(Bando, Banks, Benhart, Miller, Piper, Lutovsky, Teddy, Corcoran, Hixson, Anthony, and Williams.)

4 years of being okay with the way Austin was coaching, now that Frost's job is on the line it suddenly matters how much effort and output have increased?

Allowing Austin to coach the OL with "some" players now showing twice the effort and output of the last couple years, points to why the overall lack of detail has plagued this program.

With the exception of TE, lack of detail, especially on offense, has been systemic the previous 4 years.

It takes the head coach 5 years to figure out the OL is operating at far less than optimal? Why doesn't he just say we weren't paying attention
thats what you get when you hire buddies.

I get your point , but did they actually measure the OL the same way previously ? My guess they did not, but if they did , there would have been some base line they would have using to determine acceptable measurables.

technique along with strength and size are the keys to OL success. Can Bernhardt move laterally this year ? Can he hold a block once engaged? Does he get beaten on almost every play? This will be my measurable
NU has been using the NAPL lab since 2013.

When a performance issue can be measured and charted, there are 2 reasons why noticeable improvements do not occur:

#1 it's not viewed as that important;

or

#2 stagnant numbers show annual lack of improvement, and you don't know how to correct it.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Just hire a business expert then. Or a super rich guy. Or better yet, a politician. What a pathetic state-of-affairs college football has become if this is the case.
and of course overveiw what all his coaches are doing.

He can't win no matter what he says or does. If we lose it's all his fault. If we win the new assistants will get all the credit. It's the same as it was when he played. If people haven't figured out from his time as a college QB, he's not a silvery tongued sweet talker. If he doesn't talk to the media, people are mad. If he does talk to the media, a vocal minority are mad.
But he did this to himself. It's not like everyone else put him in this position, he did. So I have little sympathy for him.

If we win, I think it's really more about the work Trev is doing behind the scenes.

Which is what, specifically?
Mainly, he's holding Frost accountable, which the prior AD did not. I also think he is doing some directing behind the scenes, which was evident early last year when he came out and said as much and we saw the team actually improve and fight, even though close losses week after week.

Mainly, he's holding Frost accountable, which the prior AD did not. I also think he is doing some directing behind the scenes, which was evident early last year when he came out and said as much and we saw the team actually improve and fight, even though close losses week after week.
He said last year with 4 games remaining that he was proud of coach Frost and was pleased with how the team played and was looking forward to finishing the season strong - that confidence was rewarded with an 0-4 finish

Happy to hear some koolaid progress mentioned backed by some data, but what does this say about the OL situation past couple years? sheesh The description fits exactly what we saw.
(we may have known already, but this is extra confirmation):

-how’s OL going?-

"It's good. I got to tell you. They're working harder than I've ever seen them work. That's not just my opinion. We've put a lot of science into this with NAPL lab and with Zach (Duval) – and the guys wear monitors that track overall output and 100 other statistics. And they're more than doubling in a lot of cases the amount of effort that they put out the last couple years in practice. A lot of that has to do with the type of kids we have and a lot has to do with Donnie (Raiola) and (grad assistant) Aaron (Coeling) working with them. They're doing an unbelievable job and I've been pleased with the way they're playing."

-‘Why more statistical output?”-

"More movement. More coming off the ball. More effort. And their (individual periods in practice) are tough. Sometimes I get a little frustrated in team because the linemen are dog tired by the time they get to our team drills. We'll probably have to curtail that as we get into season a little bit. But the work that they've gotten done is extraordinary in camp."
games are won on the field, not the internet. So, I'm ready for some football to see if this new offensive line coach was a good hire. Can't be much worse than Greg Austin or John Garrison or Dennis Wagner or ___fill in the blank for the past 20 years____

games are won on the field, not the internet. So, I'm ready for some football to see if this new offensive line coach was a good hire. Can't be much worse than Greg Austin or John Garrison or Dennis Wagner or ___fill in the blank for the past 20 years____
Clear, concise, specific, detailed.

Light on the underscore, Heavy on the __ fill in the blank.

And that guys, is how you exhibit expertise as a Recruiting Analyst_National.

(Hint: If you were an analyst, you would actually explain how or why this new hire is better or worse than others.
In other words, you would ANALYZE.)

An AD can only do so much and whatever "directing" is I have no idea. He isn't coaching or telling Frost how to coach, he doesn't have time for that and I don't see Trev as a micro manager. What his doing is laying out expectations and then asking how he can help the program get there. That is my take.

Clear, concise, specific, detailed.

Light on the underscore, Heavy on the __ fill in the blank.

And that guys, is how you exhibit expertise as a Recruiting Analyst_National.

(Hint: If you were an analyst, you would actually explain how or why this new hire is better or worse than others.
In other words, you would ANALYZE.)
My expertise is in recruiting. That's where I provide analysis

ADVERTISEMENT