ADVERTISEMENT

Frost comments on O-Line

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Happy to hear some koolaid progress mentioned backed by some data, but what does this say about the OL situation past couple years? sheesh The description fits exactly what we saw.
(we may have known already, but this is extra confirmation):

-how’s OL going?-

"It's good. I got to tell you. They're working harder than I've ever seen them work. That's not just my opinion. We've put a lot of science into this with NAPL lab and with Zach (Duval) – and the guys wear monitors that track overall output and 100 other statistics. And they're more than doubling in a lot of cases the amount of effort that they put out the last couple years in practice. A lot of that has to do with the type of kids we have and a lot has to do with Donnie (Raiola) and (grad assistant) Aaron (Coeling) working with them. They're doing an unbelievable job and I've been pleased with the way they're playing."

-‘Why more statistical output?”-

"More movement. More coming off the ball. More effort. And their (individual periods in practice) are tough. Sometimes I get a little frustrated in team because the linemen are dog tired by the time they get to our team drills. We'll probably have to curtail that as we get into season a little bit. But the work that they've gotten done is extraordinary in camp."

legitimately, who gives two shits what he has to say. Does anyone, other than the craziest of fan, care? He either doesn't know what he's doing, or he doesn't know how to discuss it in front of a camera. He's as bad as there has ever been at this school in terms of face time and results. It does suck that he has to get up in front of a camera and talk because he has to know how empty it all is.

legitimately, who gives two shits what he has to say. Does anyone, other than the craziest of fan, care? He either doesn't know what he's doing, or he doesn't know how to discuss it in front of a camera. He's as bad as there has ever been at this school in terms of face time and results. It does suck that he has to get up in front of a camera and talk because he has to know how empty it all is.
I think your last sentence really captures it. For 4 years he’s been saying how great things are. But this year he means it I guess. Very hollow.

All the guy has to do is end each of these answers with something along the lines of “obviously all of this means nothing if it doesn’t translate into wins” and it would be a 1000% better

doesn’t the athletic dept have some type of PR person that could help him?

Happy to hear some koolaid progress mentioned backed by some data, but what does this say about the OL situation past couple years? sheesh The description fits exactly what we saw.
(we may have known already, but this is extra confirmation):

-how’s OL going?-

"It's good. I got to tell you. They're working harder than I've ever seen them work. That's not just my opinion. We've put a lot of science into this with NAPL lab and with Zach (Duval) – and the guys wear monitors that track overall output and 100 other statistics. And they're more than doubling in a lot of cases the amount of effort that they put out the last couple years in practice. A lot of that has to do with the type of kids we have and a lot has to do with Donnie (Raiola) and (grad assistant) Aaron (Coeling) working with them. They're doing an unbelievable job and I've been pleased with the way they're playing."

-‘Why more statistical output?”-

"More movement. More coming off the ball. More effort. And their (individual periods in practice) are tough. Sometimes I get a little frustrated in team because the linemen are dog tired by the time they get to our team drills. We'll probably have to curtail that as we get into season a little bit. But the work that they've gotten done is extraordinary in camp."
This is something that I can look at 3 different ways.

First of all, NU has 9 returning OL that figure to play the majority of snaps, not including transfers Anthony and Williams who will replace Jurgens and Nouili as likely contributors for a total of 11 OL.

(Bando, Banks, Benhart, Miller, Piper, Lutovsky, Teddy, Corcoran, Hixson, Anthony, and Williams.)

4 years of being okay with the way Austin was coaching, now that Frost's job is on the line it suddenly matters how much effort and output have increased?

Allowing Austin to coach the OL with "some" players now showing twice the effort and output of the last couple years, points to why the overall lack of detail has plagued this program.

With the exception of TE, lack of detail, especially on offense, has been systemic the previous 4 years.

It takes the head coach 5 years to figure out the OL is operating at far less than optimal? Why doesn't he just say we weren't paying attention

Last edited:
All the guy has to do is end each of these answers with something along the lines of “obviously all of this means nothing if it doesn’t translate into wins” and it would be a 1000% better

doesn’t the athletic dept have some type of PR person that could help him?
If NU does have a good year this year, it will be despite what Frost says, and more what the new offensive assistants are able to do or not do.

Perhaps Scott Frost should go Bo Pelini in front of the camera.

There it is

This is something that I can look at 3 different ways.

First of all, NU has 9 returning OL that figure to play the majority of snaps, not including transfers Anthony and Williams who will replace Jurgens and Nouili as likely contributors for a total of 11 OL.

(Bando, Banks, Benhart, Miller, Piper, Lutovsky, Teddy, Corcoran, Hixson, Anthony, and Williams.)

4 years of being okay with the way Austin was coaching, now that Frost's job is on the line it suddenly matters how much effort and output have increased?

Allowing Austin to coach the OL with "some" players now showing twice the effort and output of the last couple years, points to why the overall lack of detail has plagued this program.

With the exception of TE, lack of detail, especially on offense, has been systemic the previous 4 years.

It takes the head coach 5 years to figure out the OL is operating at far less than optimal? Why doesn't he just say we weren't paying attention
I get your point , but did they actually measure the OL the same way previously ? My guess they did not, but if they did , there would have been some base line they would have using to determine acceptable measurables.

technique along with strength and size are the keys to OL success. Can Bernhardt move laterally this year ? Can he hold a block once engaged? Does he get beaten on almost every play? This will be my measurable

Listen.. THE most important position group in football is the offensive line. TO forgot more about that than a Stanford drop out will ever know. Love ya. Keep it real. 👍

Reactions: huskerfan66
I think Coach Frost should just model Coach Belichick’s style during press conferences. It seems to work for him in New England.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
He should tell the fans that they should kiss his @$$ on the the way out the door.
My hope is frost has heard a steady diet of kiss my ass from the fans for about 50 straight months

he deserves it

does he think our memories are as short as his must be to make these comments? laugh out loud hilarious to say the above with a straight face

• Haha
Reactions: Baxter48 and WHCSC
Coach says OL is working hard, fans are outraged.
He can't win no matter what he says or does. If we lose it's all his fault. If we win the new assistants will get all the credit. It's the same as it was when he played. If people haven't figured out from his time as a college QB, he's not a silvery tongued sweet talker. If he doesn't talk to the media, people are mad. If he does talk to the media, a vocal minority are mad.

He can't win no matter what he says or does. If we lose it's all his fault. If we win the new assistants will get all the credit. It's the same as it was when he played. If people haven't figured out from his time as a college QB, he's not a silvery tongued sweet talker. If he doesn't talk to the media, people are mad. If he does talk to the media, a vocal minority are mad.

8ae.gif

All this dissection of Frost’s words is a colossal and childish waste of time and energy. Some of the worst ever in front of a microphone have been the best coaches of all time. If he wins, nobody cares what he says. Just win, if he can’t do that this year, fire him. Simple.

All this dissection of Frost’s words is a colossal and childish waste of time and energy. Some of the worst ever in front of a microphone have been the best coaches of all time. If he wins, nobody cares what he says. Just win, if he can’t do that this year, fire him. Simple.
As part of his job, he's required to do media interviews so I'm slightly amused by people who bitch about what he says. Would they be happier if he came out and said, "well I expect our O line to suck just as much as they did last year."? All he is doing is trying to give us a little bit of an inside look at some of the ways they've been measuring practice effort. This isn't new. They've been doing it for several years.

As part of his job, he's required to do media interviews so I'm slightly amused by people who bitch about what he says. Would they be happier if he came out and said, "well I expect our O line to suck just as much as they did last year."? All he is doing is trying to give us a little bit of an inside look at some of the ways they've been measuring practice effort. This isn't new. They've been doing it for several years.
I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem with anything he has said and I really don’t even listen that much. I try to listen to sound bytes from assistants about what the depth chart is looking like and what the playbook might look like and that’s about all they say that I really care about.

In the event NU turns from a losing to a winning program, the reason for improvement(s) should be obvious.

Reactions: bigboxes
I get your point , but did they actually measure the OL the same way previously ? My guess they did not, but if they did , there would have been some base line they would have using to determine acceptable measurables.

technique along with strength and size are the keys to OL success. Can Bernhardt move laterally this year ? Can he hold a block once engaged? Does he get beaten on almost every play? This will be my measurable
x5 across the line

I don’t fault Frost for trying to pump sunshine, coaches need to promote positive energy, and if he refused to speak it’d be a bad look— but as others pointed out it’s true he has not always been the most tactful in delivering messages and has had to eat his words too often.
We all know talk is cheap after the years of losing.
I’m having a hard time seeing this line be real successful, but it’d sure be amazing if they could exceed expectations.

Reactions: BleedRed78
oh, please. this is such bs

he can win if he, you know, wins

while he does have to speak to the media, it is not required of him to come out and admit that he had his guys going half-speed for 4 straight years and was seemingly perfectly okay with it

oh, please. this is such bs

he can win if he, you know, wins

while he does have to speak to the media, it is not required of him to come out and admit that he had his guys going half-speed for 4 straight years and was seemingly perfectly okay with it
Every single time he talks to the media, there's a thread about him needing to shut up and show us on the field. Every single time. Everything he says is picked apart. He could say the new field turf is green and there would be incessant bitching about it being the wrong shade of green. Nobody has to listen to him or read what he said if it upsets them so much.

Every single time he talks to the media, there's a thread about him needing to shut up and show us on the field. Every single time. Everything he says is picked apart. He could say the new field turf is green and there would be incessant bitching about it being the wrong shade of green. Nobody has to listen to him or read what he said if it upsets them so much.

But when he chose not to say anything, there was also a meltdown.

this quote was pretty eye-opening

I don't lend a ton of credence to these interviews, but when actual measured output is doubling, it says at least something about the kind of ship he's been running, no?

Instead of Benhart being beaten almost every play, if he improves to being beaten every 4th play, isn't that a measure of improvement? lol

I don't lend a ton of credence to these interviews, but when actual measured output is doubling, it says at least something about the kind of ship he's been running, no?
And we heard the rumblings last fall that Frost was done with Austin because of the way he was coaching. Austin was famous as a player for not practicing because of his knees. It seems he thought he line could half ass practices and be just fine. He should have fired him earlier but that's water under the bridge. We'll see if Raiola's coaching helps.

When NU is beginning Year 5 of the Frost regime, and he's using words like "unbelievable" and "extraordinary" it shows where the expectations were the last 4 years.

And we heard the rumblings last fall that Frost was done with Austin because of the way he was coaching. Austin was famous as a player for not practicing because of his knees. It seems he thought he line could half ass practices and be just fine. He should have fired him earlier but that's water under the bridge. We'll see if Raiola's coaching helps.
coaching aside, I'm willing to bet actually trying hard will yield results

I am hard on AM, but can you imagine getting assaulted every snap on saturday after watching the guys who are supposed to protect you just dogging it all week?

man.

I'm gonna give you a like on that dingle. Austin always came across as a lazy ass coach.

As fans, we can point the finger at the lack of improvement in the OL during Austin's tenure. At the end of the day, isn't the buck supposed to stop with Frost though?

Frost could have perhaps saved himself from a little criticism had he just canned Austin when Scott was bringing in all these physically big OLmen and Austin was teaching them to play a non-aggressive style.

I'm gonna give you a like on that dingle. Austin always came across as a lazy ass coach.

As fans, we can point the finger at the lack of improvement in the OL during Austin's tenure. At the end of the day, isn't the buck supposed to stop with Frost though?

Frost could have perhaps saved himself from a little criticism had he just canned Austin when Scott was bringing in all these physically big OLmen and Austin was teaching them to play a non-aggressive style.
We heard the stories last fall about Frost "getting more involved with the O line in practice". We saw immediate results with a shakeup with who was starting and the way they played. Then we slid back a little with some injuries. Tom notoriously kept on assistants who were under performing and helped them do their jobs until it became obvious they were never going to get it. Maybe Frost was trying to do that with Austin. Austin is a good guy but probably never going to be the right guy to coach our O line.

Back to the original point though, no matter what Frost says, he's going to get ripped until (IF) he wins. I'm just kind of tired of the whining from our fans every time he does one of his required media availabilities.

Wow it's almost like being the NU football coach is a fishbowl job that invites a lot of scrutiny. Too bad nobody gave Frost a heads up on that before he accepted the job and the millions of dollars that came with it.

Personally I don't pay much attention to coaches' press conferences and really don't care what they have to say. But getting your comments to the media "picked apart" comes with the gig. If that's exasperating, go up the road and coach at Concordia.

I'm a firm believe that in life as in athletics, you can't eat an elephant in one bite. You have to do it bit by bit.

When a new coach arrives on the scene of a shitty program, steps that must be taken rest upon observation based on details. When those weaknesses are identified, don't half ass the steps it's going to take to elevate that aspect into a workable model.

Identify what you, the head coach believe are the overall weaknesses, and then begin attacking those areas one by one in order to begin the process of improving the overall product.

Getting the team to the position of being physically strong enough to compete is the longest are hardest part, if you can't recruit it through the portal, you have to build it. The only way to achieve that is time. It might take 3-4 years to build the squad to the point of being able to compete physically with most of the teams in your conference.

Other areas can be much more quick fixes. When a program is building that team in physicality, you have to be asking more and more from position groups to continue to grow the program. If you're not paying attention, a key area like overall weakness in the offensive line can defeat the whole structure you've been building.

The same principle applies to special teams. As the program has improved physically, and assuming the OL is becoming more capable of being at least average or decent, the lack of detail in special teams can sink a team. We seen that first hand last year.

It's just sad and disappointing that this program has lingered near the bottom for so many years. It leads to a fan base of discontented, pissed off, tired of the excuses type of fanbase. We all know what good football looks like, it's about time we start seeing some from the Huskers.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Trev gave us some insight to Frost last year. TA talked about how his High School coach would rave the team when they weren’t very good to build their confidence. He also said when they were good, the coach would pick them apart and focus on their weaknesses just so they’d continue to improve. He said this was Frost’s mentality. A lot of coaches are this way. Saban is this way Belichick is this way

The difference for Frost and those coaches is Scott is sunshine pumping because we aren’t very good. While the others are picking because they are good. Waiting for the day that Scott just hammers the team in press conferences.

so in other words. Maybe when Scott is bragging up the O-Line like this, he’s just trying to build confidence and fans need to take this with a grain of salt

Remeber Lou Holtz’s press conferences? ND would be #1 in the nation playing an 0-10 Navy and Holtz would be like “I don’t know how we can beat Navy. They are a much better football team then us. Etc”

Reactions: moralvictories
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT