ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Clinic - Tempo

TheBeav815

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Feb 19, 2007
Chicago Suburbs
Tons of interesting stuff from HCSF in this. The camera work is ROUGH in the early going and the video quality is poor throughout, but IMO it's more for listening to than seeing.

A huge amount to think about in terms of what he wants to do philosophically vs what they've been able to do.

I think they were still very much in a place of, "We don't have a guy healthy who does it any better than that right now."

Two thoughts:

One, I really wonder if Martinez is a quick enough blinker to run Frost's tempo offense. Slow decision making is fatal.

Second, I wonder how much success our new WR coach can have in getting those WR's to block effectively. Helps me understand why Walters got the boot.

Those two things seem like the two most important aspects of Frost's offense to me.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Two thoughts:

One, I really wonder if Martinez is a quick enough blinker to run Frost's tempo offense. Slow decision making is fatal.

Second, I wonder how much success our new WR coach can have in getting those WR's to block effectively. Helps me understand why Walters got the boot.

Those two things seem like the two most important aspects of Frost's offense to me.
Martinez was in year two of his career after also missing his senior year of HS and injured beside. Of course he wasn't going to look as good doing it as Marcus Mariota behind one of the best centers in the nation that year. The notion of the center needing to identify the "point man" so the blocking assignments can cascade off that really jumped out at me. Think there were ever times that wasn't perfect with a Rs-Fr in there?

Watching that video, you notice a lot of things that are core elements of simple stuff like their read option game that are weaknesses for NU. It was much more than just Martinez struggling to pass, they couldn't run the ball either. If the OL did ok the back missed a hole, or the WRs missed their blocks. Next play the back sees it but a tackle misses a block.

You name it, NU screwed it up last year. Looked like a team of guys who didn't always know/do their job and didn't have anyone behind them to force them to the bench for it.

I have very low expectations of the WR group this year, new coach or no. Especially after Spielman quit, they are a totally unproven group outside of Wan'dale and Warner. Wan'dale is young and undersized and Kade is an average athlete.

The WR room is no further ahead in my opinion in 2020 than they were in 2018 when Frost came here and identified the position as a huge area of need. We have no idea in Manning or Betts will ever play a down for NU, let alone have success. Aside from that we have a collection of dudes who are like 5'10 but had nice 200 times in high school.

Basically my one and only expectation for that group is that they block effectively. Don't be at all surprised if some 6'2 walk-on none of us have heard of ends up with a lot of PT because he can block.

Martinez was in year two of his career after also missing his senior year of HS and injured beside. Of course he wasn't going to look as good doing it as Marcus Mariota behind one of the best centers in the nation that year. The notion of the center needing to identify the "point man" so the blocking assignments can cascade off that really jumped out at me. Think there were ever times that wasn't perfect with a Rs-Fr in there?

Watching that video, you notice a lot of things that are core elements of simple stuff like their read option game that are weaknesses for NU. It was much more than just Martinez struggling to pass, they couldn't run the ball either. If the OL did ok the back missed a hole, or the WRs missed their blocks. Next play the back sees it but a tackle misses a block.

You name it, NU screwed it up last year. Looked like a team of guys who didn't always know/do their job and didn't have anyone behind them to force them to the bench for it.

I have very low expectations of the WR group this year, new coach or no. Especially after Spielman quit, they are a totally unproven group outside of Wan'dale and Warner. Wan'dale is young and undersized and Kade is an average athlete.

The WR room is no further ahead in my opinion in 2020 than they were in 2018 when Frost came here and identified the position as a huge area of need. We have no idea in Manning or Betts will ever play a down for NU, let alone have success. Aside from that we have a collection of dudes who are like 5'10 but had nice 200 times in high school.

Basically my one and only expectation for that group is that they block effectively. Don't be at all surprised if some 6'2 walk-on none of us have heard of ends up with a lot of PT because he can block.

It will be a challenge to quickly develop the WR room. I agree expectations might be too high with so little proven talent and so little time to establish chemistry with the newcomers, which contributes to tempo.
I would mention Hickman has been lauded for his blocking. His size will be an advantage (nice swap for what they probably wanted Justin McGriff to do), but he won’t be a burner running past DBs.

Manning coming in ready to play may be the single most critical piece. From there, Nance got some early praise after a couple days of spring ball.
Alante Brown, if healthy, has at least been on campus and around the team since spring.
What can Houston do? He seemed to be the one slipping.
Combined with losing Hunt, Jones, McGriff, Legrone, and Chase (Woodyard,Williams, Noa, Watt...Washington) Frost has unfortunately lost so many pass catching players he recruited. Rebuild hasn’t gone smooth for pass catching so far.

I know one of Betts’ teachers. They gave an opinion about his utter laziness with school work.
School doesn’t always translate to football, but I would not feel confident he’s going to attack the playbook and film at the “above and beyond” level that would be necessary for him to excel in year 1.

The issue I see is that when high school players watch UCF and Oregon (under Kelly) play, they saw WR making big plays in the passing game. So when a guy says no block no rock during the recruiting process, they think yeah ok, I can block a CB no problem. Then they get here and the expectation to actually block is more than they want. Omar Manning didn't choose Nebraska because he believed he would be coming here to block 4 out of 5 plays, he chose Nebraska because of the wide open offense and the potential to make a bunch of big plays.

The issue I see is that when high school players watch UCF and Oregon (under Kelly) play, they saw WR making big plays in the passing game. So when a guy says no block no rock during the recruiting process, they think yeah ok, I can block a CB no problem. Then they get here and the expectation to actually block is more than they want. Omar Manning didn't choose Nebraska because he believed he would be coming here to block 4 out of 5 plays, he chose Nebraska because of the wide open offense and the potential to make a bunch of big plays.
True, but surely someone has explained to him that being a complete player means doing the dirty work. This is a big reason why Quincy Enunwa has a career in the league. The guy is nasty. Then when the ball comes your way, you better make the most of it. Production begets success.

True, but surely someone has explained to him that being a complete player means doing the dirty work. This is a big reason why Quincy Enunwa has a career in the league. The guy is nasty. Then when the ball comes your way, you better make the most of it. Production begets success.

Sadly, Enunwa career appears to be over due to spinal stenosis

I know Lubick will emphasize blocking, and Hickman and Warner have received the most praise for their blocking, but we also are adding Vokolek who hopefully proves to be a great blocker using his big frame.

Further, Wandale is a true sophomore and small as can be, but he’s also the primary vocal leader in the room. I think he’ll be pushing guys and won’t be tolerating any laxed effort when it comes to blocking.
He came here to win and isn’t going to put up with lazy sh*t. He’ll set the tone and lead by example.

In all seriousness he gives a way a LOT of sauce recipe. Keeps being like, "I prolly shouldn't say this but..."
agree. I guess teams are able to watch game film and get most of the info anyways. It comes down to having your players dialed in enough that they are able to overcome whatever the D trys to throw at them.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
Quincy is a great example. Niles Paul is also a great example.

I know Lubick will emphasize blocking, and Hickman and Warner have received the most praise for their blocking, but we also are adding Vokolek who hopefully proves to be a great blocker using his big frame.

Further, Wandale is a true sophomore and small as can be, but he’s also the primary vocal leader in the room. I think he’ll be pushing guys and won’t be tolerating any laxed effort when it comes to blocking.
He came here to win and isn’t going to put up with lazy sh*t. He’ll set the tone and lead by example.

Excellent news that makes me a true-blue happy camper. Thanks for the scoop sir!

Excellent news that makes me a true-blue happy camper. Thanks for the scoop sir!

As a true frosh, Wandale called out upper classmen for their lack of buy in. In retrospect, sure feels like an indictment of Spielman.
He said how he wants to be a leader and that room sorely needs one. Spielman was never going to be a great leader... which is fine, not everyone is suited for that, but we didn’t have anyone else.

As a true frosh, Wandale called out upper classmen for their lack of buy in. In retrospect, sure feels like an indictment of Spielman.
He said how he wants to be a leader and that room sorely needs one. Spielman was never going to be a great leader... which is fine, not everyone is suited for that, but we didn’t have anyone else.
Speilman was a cancer to the program. I suspected it watching him play with zero or little effort at times during games. Then the more that came out and him transferring confirms this imo. Him leaving is a good thing. I know people say, but he was so talented and he could have broken records. True, but if you have talent that isn't working to their fullest potential and a constant negativity in the ears of others it isn't good.

Speilman was a cancer to the program. I suspected it watching him play with zero or little effort at times during games. Then the more that came out and him transferring confirms this imo. Him leaving is a good thing. I know people say, but he was so talented and he could have broken records. True, but if you have talent that isn't working to their fullest potential and a constant negativity in the ears of others it isn't good.
I didn’t want to like this post, because I so badly wanted Spielman to be here his entire career, but I think you hit the nail on the head.

two sides to every story... might have been the other way around

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I've no idea what happened with Spielman, but calling him a cancer to the program seems a bit much. For a cancer, the guy sure seemed to provide a lot of production.

And yeah there were times when Spielman seemed disinterested in blocking. But you could say the same about the right tackle and he was inexplicably named the team's O-lineman of the year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT