ADVERTISEMENT

Frost: “Because this is my team now”

I mean it this time. No really, this time I really mean it. If you don’t work hard and buy in then......

This season, for all intents and purposes, is over. Time to play the guys they expect to be here next year and those buying in. Apologize to the seniors for having a shitty experience and move on. Play guys like Gifford and Ozigbo, maybe a few others, but it’s time to see what is really in the cupboard.
Other than your first sentence, I think this is exactly right.

Our 4th game is a week after everyone else’s 4th game.

A player has to be in residence this fall to be eligible next fall, unless they are grad transfers.
That is useful information. Especially now with the four game transfer rules confusing things.

But I still haven’t seen you present any evidence though, beyond your timeline suspicions, that Frost deliberately waited to bench Jackson until he knew it would be hard for him to transfer. Suspicion over what may just darn well be a coincidence is not evidence.

Not trying to bust your chops or be argumentative. But because I generally like and respect your posts I do sometimes get puzzled by your cynicism. So I genuinely would like to know why you seem to have a slight anti Frost edge sometimes.

That is useful information. Especially now with the four game transfer rules confusing things.

But I still haven’t seen you present any evidence though, beyond your timeline suspicions, that Frost deliberately waited to bench Jackson until he knew it would be hard for him to transfer. Suspicion over what may just darn well be a coincidence is not evidence.

Not trying to bust your chops or be argumentative. But because I generally like and respect your posts I do sometimes get puzzled by your cynicism. So I genuinely would like to know why you seem to have a slight anti Frost edge sometimes.

Evidence? It’s my take on why it happened now. 0-3 wasn’t enough? It took 0-4? Losing at home to Troy and Colorado wasn’t enough it took a loss to Purdue? He got burned by the Gebbia timing, he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice now would he? If he wanted Lamar gone, bench him from day one, he would have left.

Ha. And so the season will go...lots of threads analyzing useless crap.

Look to the future. Addition through attrition. And please, please recruit some pass rushers, faster WR, athletic DBs, a bunch of big uglies at OL and DL.

I still think we are good at RB.

Nothing more to discuss at this point. Honestly, next year's Spring game will say a lot about how far we've come.

Until then, enjoy the shitshow!

I disagree with a lot of what you put on here, but I appreciate this post. Your best work to date.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
It is sarcastic and probably not expressive of the reality of what is happening with Frost’s comments. It is unnecessarily snarky I think.

Maybe. But we heard for months that the buy in was there and that those who weren’t buying in were being shown the door. Then the season started and hasn’t gone as planned. Then for at least the 3rd time since the season started the post game press conference is littered with talk of players not buying in.

How many times can we hear the same stuff and it not lose its meaning?

Evidence? It’s my take on why it happened now. 0-3 wasn’t enough? It took 0-4? Losing at home to Troy and Colorado wasn’t enough it took a loss to Purdue? He got burned by the Gebbia timing, he wouldn’t make the same mistake twice now would he? If he wanted Lamar gone, bench him from day one, he would have left.
Without evidence my point is that “your take” is just that. Nothing more than the subjective opinion of one dude. So fine. It’s a chat board. You can say any pile of unsupported poppycock you please. But don’t confuse that with a true take on reality because the fact is you actually don’t have a freaking clue what the reality is. Nobody on this board does. You assume those first three losses, in the mind of Frost, were directly caused by Jackson’s play. Lol. Frost knew those losses were caused by a multitude of factors, with Jackson low on the list. But carry on with your anti Frost vendetta. I am rapidly losing all respect for you as a poster. You are all sarcasm, innuendo, smoke and mirrors. But at the end of the day you are just an anti Frost poster with an agenda. You have ZERO idea why Frost benched Jackson now. ZERO.

Reactions: Bugeater
Maybe. But we heard for months that the buy in was there and that those who weren’t buying in were being shown the door. Then the season started and hasn’t gone as planned. Then for at least the 3rd time since the season started the post game press conference is littered with talk of players not buying in.

How many times can we hear the same stuff and it not lose its meaning?
About as many times as we can listen to your anti Frost drivel before it loses its meaning.

Without evidence my point is that “your take” is just that. Nothing more than the subjective opinion of one dude. So fine. It’s a chat board. You can say any pile of unsupported poppycock you please. But don’t confuse that with a true take on reality because the fact is you actually don’t have a freaking clue what the reality is. Nobody on this board does. You assume those first three losses, in the mind of Frost, were directly caused by Jackson’s play. Lol. Frost knew those losses were caused by a multitude of factors, with Jackson low on the list. But carry on with your anti Frost vendetta. I am rapidly losing all respect for you as a poster. You are all sarcasm, innuendo, smoke and mirrors. But at the end of the day you are just an anti Frost poster with an agenda. You have ZERO idea why Frost benched Jackson now. ZERO.

I am not anti Frost. I fully expected him to come in here and win games. You and I expected Riley to win games last year. If he was here this year, I would expect him to win games this year as well. I expect Pelini to win games and every coach before.

As far as your respect, I could not give one shit. I post my opinion. If you don’t like what I have to say, hit the ignore button brother. I won’t lose a wink.

I am not anti Frost. I fully expected him to come in here and win games. You and I expected Riley to win games last year. If he was here this year, I would expect him to win games this year as well. I expect Pelini to win games and every coach before.

As far as your respect, I could not give one shit. I post my opinion. If you don’t like what I have to say, hit the ignore button brother. I won’t lose a wink.
Asking fellow posters to hit the ignore button after they express a criticism of the quality of your posts is a cop out. A dodge. I am not HTO. I don’t use the ignore button.
And I don’t care what qualifiers you want to add about how you are not anti Frost. Well into Riley’s last miserable season you were on here defending that guy despite three years of evidence that he was a really lousy coach. But four games into this season 90% of your posts about Frost are sarcastic and negative. So keep on posting. Because with every new sarcastic anti Frost post you just make your denials look more and more sketchy.

Asking fellow posters to hit the ignore button after they express a criticism of the quality of your posts is a cop out. A dodge. I am not HTO. I don’t use the ignore button.
And I don’t care what qualifiers you want to add about how you are not anti Frost. Well into Riley’s last miserable season you were on here defending that guy despite three years of evidence that he was a really lousy coach. But four games into this season 90% of your posts about Frost are sarcastic and negative. So keep on posting. Because with every new sarcastic anti Frost post you just make your denials look more and more sketchy.
I never really agreed with him much but since Riley left, the quality of his posts has gone way down. I could at least respect his opinions before but now he's just another troll. He doesn't even come up with his own opinions anymore, just attacks others.

That would be great but he isn’t doing any of that except calling people out by name. He is playing into the PC stuff, he isn’t always playing player who give max effort, he didn’t draw a line in the sand.

It comes down to the fact that Frost chose trying to win games over establishing and solidifying culture. There are no two ways about it.

For the record, I don’t know that I would have done it any other way. People making 5 million dollars per year aren’t typically guys that don’t have big egos and like to lose. Choosing to lose is much different than just getting beat.

It is a tough spot, no doubt

What I should have said was the Purdue game felt like
a turning point in this regard.
After mondays press conference I believe he has changed his mind on the line in the sand. Lets hope he follows through

Last edited:
I never really agreed with him much but since Riley left, the quality of his posts has gone way down. I could at least respect his opinions before but now he's just another troll. He doesn't even come up with his own opinions anymore, just attacks others.
I actually like Tuco at his best. Back in the day he was the best poster on here. He is smart and knows a lot more about football than I do. I learned a lot from reading his posts. But something changed last year with his posts during the whole Riley debacle. And now the steady drip, drip, drip of his sarcastic digs at Frost is just tired and stale. I don’t get it.

I harbor no ill will toward him. I am sorry we have had this dust-up. I don’t like these pissing contests people get into on here. They have been far fewer since HTO left. So I am done with this now.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I believe the previous coaching staff is the biggest reason for our problems. They instilled a mindset in these guys that it is ok to lose. That is very hard to over come once there. However, as Frost said this is his team now. It is his job to figure why these guys aren't doing what they are told. If they won't buy in, he needs to find a way to make them or move on to other players. Even if those other players might not be as ready. Players on this team need to realize, they have to give 100% at all time. If they don't they don't play. If they don't like it there is the door. Frost pushed the msg all off season. Yet we aren't actually seeing him do much about it.

What do you want him to do?

just stop. His "opinion" is generally more factual and accurate than anybody else posting on this free board. You and I may not like it when he calls us out for posting stupid stuff but that's tough. It's the price we pay for discussing the Huskers when occasionally somebody with more football IQ than us pops in to set us straight. Sadly the board has run off too many guys like him.

just stop. His "opinion" is generally more factual and accurate than anybody else posting on this free board. You and I may not like it when he calls us out for posting stupid stuff but that's tough. It's the price we pay for discussing the Huskers when occasionally somebody with more football IQ than us pops in to set us straight. Sadly the board has run off too many guys like him.
Lol ok...

I thought the above quote was the most interesting thing from his presser. Asked if he knows what the cause of the undisciplined play is he said he thinks he knows but does not want to say it. That is when he said “Because this is my team now.” I think that clearly implies that he thinks the team is still plagued by the bad habits created by the Riley years. But he knew it would be poor form just to say that.

So is he right or is he deflecting blame from his own staff by blaming others? I think he is correct. But I can see how others might think otherwise.
Discuss

I blame inertia. Things most likely will get better when he gets the players he wants and the ones he currently has to buy in.

I agree with this for the most part. Because I do welcome criticism from knowledgeable people like Tuco when it is deserved. I don’t take it personally because I don’t think I am always right by any stretch.

But lately it seems he calls people out just to call them out. I don’t think he was pro-Riley last year and I don’t really think he is anti Frost per se this year. I think he just likes to be a contrarian and a provocateur sometimes to try and get a rise out of people.

But if that is how he wants to post I should be okay with it. It is a free chat board and different posters have different styles. Unfortunately I let him get under my skin and reacted poorly. My bad.

Reactions: husker2612

My apologies Tuco. I overreacted.
Peace

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I agree with this for the most part. Because I do welcome criticism from knowledgeable people like Tuco when it is deserved. I don’t take it personally because I don’t think I am always right by any stretch.

But lately it seems he calls people out just to call them out. I don’t think he was pro-Riley last year and I don’t really think he is anti Frost per se this year. I think he just likes to be a contrarian and a provocateur sometimes to try and get a rise out of people.

But if that is how he wants to post I should be okay with it. It is a free chat board and different posters have different styles. Unfortunately I let him get under my skin and reacted poorly. My bad.
he at times can be abrasive but I think it's because he grows weary of trying to correct ignorance. Some guys just give up and go elsewhere. Personally IF somebody gets irritated with me I go take a look in the mirror because usually it IS me.:oops:

I will gladly admit that some of what I post is to get under the skin of people. However, the majority of what I post is opinion based on my experience, research of statistics, and watching tons of football.

In this case, I am just playing a game of role reversal. It is fun to watch all the folks who were on the offensive against Riley, and saying things like, there is talent, and this team is underachieving and there is no discipline, suddenly switch roles and defend everything, and go from blaming the coach to blaming the players. Whenever someone defended Riley, there was never any room for excuses. It didn't matter that there was no Oline depth. If the talent on the roster couldn't play in the pro style offense, Riley was supposed to change his offense to meet the talent on the roster. If he defenders couldn't play man to man, then we should be playing zone. If we can't get pressure on the QB, we need to blitz. We have an aggressive defense and the results are similar to last year. We have people on this board blaming the undisciplined football on Mike Riley, but when you look at the numbers, Riley's Nebraska teams had less penalties that Frost's UCF teams. Then we blame the inept Oline on players not recruited for Frost's system, yet the GCG are all 5th year guys recruited to run a spread, not pro style.

I think some of you are mistaking my posts as anti Frost, when they are for the most part directed at the person posting and their flip flopping nature.

With that said, I do believe Frost chose to sacrifice fully establishing culture in an attempt to win games. I do believe that there are players starting that haven't fully bought in but are playing because they are simply better players than what is behind them. I do believe that it is a difficult balancing act to build this program the way Frost wants it. If you lose too many games, some recruits will look elsewhere. If you continue to play talent over culture, you will lose some of the players that are buying in because they will see you as all talk. I believe if Frost thought this team was going to be 0-4, he would have played some different people from the beginning. As I have said before, these coaches have huge egos, they aren't going to throw away games. They want to win, so again, they have to balance their will to win now, with their convictions on culture, but in the immortal words of Drowning Pool....somethings got to give.

I will gladly admit that some of what I post is to get under the skin of people. However, the majority of what I post is opinion based on my experience, research of statistics, and watching tons of football.

In this case, I am just playing a game of role reversal. It is fun to watch all the folks who were on the offensive against Riley, and saying things like, there is talent, and this team is underachieving and there is no discipline, suddenly switch roles and defend everything, and go from blaming the coach to blaming the players. Whenever someone defended Riley, there was never any room for excuses. It didn't matter that there was no Oline depth. If the talent on the roster couldn't play in the pro style offense, Riley was supposed to change his offense to meet the talent on the roster. If he defenders couldn't play man to man, then we should be playing zone. If we can't get pressure on the QB, we need to blitz. We have an aggressive defense and the results are similar to last year. We have people on this board blaming the undisciplined football on Mike Riley, but when you look at the numbers, Riley's Nebraska teams had less penalties that Frost's UCF teams. Then we blame the inept Oline on players not recruited for Frost's system, yet the GCG are all 5th year guys recruited to run a spread, not pro style.

I think some of you are mistaking my posts as anti Frost, when they are for the most part directed at the person posting and their flip flopping nature.

With that said, I do believe Frost chose to sacrifice fully establishing culture in an attempt to win games. I do believe that there are players starting that haven't fully bought in but are playing because they are simply better players than what is behind them. I do believe that it is a difficult balancing act to build this program the way Frost wants it. If you lose too many games, some recruits will look elsewhere. If you continue to play talent over culture, you will lose some of the players that are buying in because they will see you as all talk. I believe if Frost thought this team was going to be 0-4, he would have played some different people from the beginning. As I have said before, these coaches have huge egos, they aren't going to throw away games. They want to win, so again, they have to balance their will to win now, with their convictions on culture, but in the immortal words of Drowning Pool....somethings got to give.
Well said.

His job is to use what talent he has and try to win ballgames. The past is the past no matter how bad it was. He is paid 5 million a year to win ballgames. If the culture sucks, if the talent is bad, he needs to deal with it to at least motivate the crap he has to get off their fat asses and at least to attempt to show some enthusiasm. If not, ride the bench and put the next man up. You work with what you have and the past is the past. He will slowly learn after awhile. However, through the first 4 games, he has blown it. Three of those were winnable and yes I'm sure he would put some of the blame on himself as it deserves to be. He needs to figure it out, not 2 to 3 years ahead, but right now. And figure it out fast. That is the mark of a good coach. I hope he get's there soon.
If it were only that easy to just decide to fix it now rather than in a few years. Goodness...smh.

ADVERTISEMENT