ADVERTISEMENT

Frost: “Because this is my team now”

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
I thought the above quote was the most interesting thing from his presser. Asked if he knows what the cause of the undisciplined play is he said he thinks he knows but does not want to say it. That is when he said “Because this is my team now.” I think that clearly implies that he thinks the team is still plagued by the bad habits created by the Riley years. But he knew it would be poor form just to say that.

So is he right or is he deflecting blame from his own staff by blaming others? I think he is correct. But I can see how others might think otherwise.
Discuss

I think hes right on both fronts. The Riley culture is still very present in some spots. Its also his team now and that culture has to continue to be extinguished. I can only hope the players that are busting their a$$es can help the staff to get rid of that culture and or the ppl who are still contaminated by it. There are many other issues but the undisciplined play and lack of caring about playing for something bigger than themselves is killing the ppl that have bought in.

I thought the above quote was the most interesting thing from his presser. Asked if he knows what the cause of the undisciplined play is he said he thinks he knows but does not want to say it. That is when he said “Because this is my team now.” I think that clearly implies that he thinks the team is still plagued by the bad habits created by the Riley years. But he knew it would be poor form just to say that.

So is he right or is he deflecting blame from his own staff by blaming others? I think he is correct. But I can see how others might think otherwise.
Discuss
I think you interpreted his comments correctly and thought they were in somewhat poor taste as he must know the current coaches and new players get mostly C, D and F grades, too. But at this point, who really cares what he says? Action is what is needed. The program is a complete mess laughed at nationally and it would be stupid to sugarcoat it.

I think you interpreted his comments correctly and thought they were in somewhat poor taste as he must know the current coaches and new players get mostly C, D and F grades, too. But at this point, who really cares? The program is a complete mess laughed at nationally and it would be stupid to sugarcoat it.

I don't envy Frost's life for the next couple years.
Which new players also get low grades? Legit question. Interested in your thoughts

The lack of discipline around the team goes back well beyond the Riley years. Bo's teams were heavily penalized as well and no one ever got splinters because of it. It didn't get any better under Riley. It is very ingrained in the culture and was accepted as just being part of the game. Not that big a deal. I believe Scott can get them to stop making the really boneheaded ones but we'll continue to get flagged for aggressive hits.

His job is to use what talent he has and try to win ballgames. The past is the past no matter how bad it was. He is paid 5 million a year to win ballgames. If the culture sucks, if the talent is bad, he needs to deal with it to at least motivate the crap he has to get off their fat asses and at least to attempt to show some enthusiasm. If not, ride the bench and put the next man up. You work with what you have and the past is the past. He will slowly learn after awhile. However, through the first 4 games, he has blown it. Three of those were winnable and yes I'm sure he would put some of the blame on himself as it deserves to be. He needs to figure it out, not 2 to 3 years ahead, but right now. And figure it out fast. That is the mark of a good coach. I hope he get's there soon.

His job is to use what talent he has and try to win ballgames. The past is the past no matter how bad it was. He is paid 5 million a year to win ballgames. If the culture sucks, if the talent is bad, he needs to deal with it to at least motivate the crap he has to get off their fat asses and at least to attempt to show some enthusiasm. If not, ride the bench and put the next man up. You work with what you have and the past is the past. He will slowly learn after awhile. However, through the first 4 games, he has blown it. Three of those were winnable and yes I'm sure he would put some of the blame on himself as it deserves to be. He needs to figure it out, not 2 to 3 years ahead, but right now. And figure it out fast. That is the mark of a good coach. I hope he get's there soon.
The difficult this is how to motivate lazy players yes lazy players they can talk a big talk but actually doing it are two different things. My guess that's part of what's going on. They showed the inside the tunnel walk I noticed most of the players were lackluster no fire I'm just puzzled at this why aren't they fired up. If I was coach frost I'd get ride of these instigators now bench time or boot them off the team. We all knew Nebraska was toxic since half way through bozo tenure and Riley was well Riley. My personal opinion of watching this team it's going to take 4 years to get to 8 wins for the simple reason most of the players don't care if they win or lose and that's bad habits to break

I think that this team -- which has played completely undisciplined ball for years -- took to the "don't be afraid of making a mistake" concept to the extreme.

Example: We had a receiver get called for holding the corner on a running play yesterday. Killed the drive. Watching the replay, he was busting his ass blocking downfield and stayed on it a bit too long giving the ref an opportunity to throw the flag. I think it was a bullshit call. At any rate, as a coach, you'll take that penalty. Thsts what the concept is about. Kid was giving max effort and buying in. Taking care of his assignment instead of being tentative.

But we have too many -- multiple times a game -- just ridiculous blow your own head off types of mistakes. Like the late hit out of bounds after stopping them on third down. Lighting up the CU receiver after stopping them on third and a mile putting us in a position to salt away the game. Spearing a defensive lineman you have already put on the ground killing the drive. Talking shit to one of their receivers while we are getting smoked and drawing a personal foul -- That's the kind of mistake our players should be "afraid" to make.

But they are not.

It's been going on every fing year since around the time Suh graduated.

And I cannot for the life of me understand it.

As a fan, I'm to the point (and have been for years) that defending on 3rd and 20 is the most apprehension I feel during the game. Dreading who is going to hit the QB late, who is going to hold a receiver, who is going to commit a personal foul after the whistle gifting them a first down. And from Pelini to Riley to Frost it continues. Game after game after game year over year.

My hope with Frost was not that we would have an absence of penalties. My hope was that the players would begin to learn the difference between effort flags and "blow your own head off flags". Not seeing it.

Watching good teams (Penn State Ohio State last night) this happens, but rarely.

Watching bad teams, more often than not they just get their asses kicked without just giving away possession after possession, stop after stop, game after game.

We are into our third consecutive coach where THIS is the Hallmark of the program. Don't know if it's something in the water. Don't know if it's something in the air. Don't know why this staff -- nor the two staffs before them -- cannot get these kids to play a clean game absent of personal fouls, late hits, defensive holding on third down, roughing the QB .

Its a cultural problem. And until hat changes, it doesn't matter who the QB is, who we bring on, what kind of scheme we run.

Long road ahead.

I think that this team -- which has played completely undisciplined ball for years -- took to the "don't be afraid of making a mistake" concept to the extreme.

Example: We had a receiver get called for holding the corner on a running play yesterday. Killed the drive. Watching the replay, he was busting his ass blocking downfield and stayed on it a bit too long giving the ref an opportunity to throw the flag. I think it was a bullshit call. At any rate, as a coach, you'll take that penalty. Thsts what the concept is about. Kid was giving max effort and buying in. Taking care of his assignment instead of being tentative.

But we have too many -- multiple times a game -- just ridiculous blow your own head off types of mistakes. Like the late hit out of bounds after stopping them on third down. Lighting up the CU receiver after stopping them on third and a mile putting us in a position to salt away the game. Spearing a defensive lineman you have already put on the ground killing the drive. Talking shit to one of their receivers while we are getting smoked and drawing a personal foul -- That's the kind of mistake our players should be "afraid" to make.

But they are not.

As a fan, I'm to the point (and have been for years) that defending on 3rd and 20 is the most apprehension I feel during the game. Dreading who is going to hit the QB late, who is going to hold a receiver, who is going to commit a personal foul after the whistle gifting them a first down. And from Pelini to Riley to Frost it continues. Game after game after game year over year.

My hope with Frost was not that we would have an absence of penalties. My hope was that the players would begin to learn the difference between effort flags and "blow your own head off flags". Not seeing it.

Watching good teams (Penn State Ohio State last night) this happens, but rarely.

Watching bad teams, more often than not they just get their asses kicked without just giving away possession after possession, stop after stop, game after game.

We are into our third consecutive coach where THIS is the Hallmark of the program. Don't know if it's something in the water. Don't know if it's something in the air. Don't know why this staff -- nor the two staffs before them -- cannot get these kids to play a clean game absent of personal fouls, late hits, defensive holding on third down, roughing the QB .

Its a cultural problem. And until hat changes, it doesn't matter who the QB is, who we bring on, what kind of scheme we run.

Long road ahead.
Good post. I agree

Reactions: mmunso7

But they are not.

Long road ahead.
It's not a bad philosophy if your players actually play hard every play. Our players obviously don't. It should be a philosophy that allows our players to fly around the field and make plays, but instead everyone plays tentative and looks slow. Our players almost seem to be using the philosophy as an excuse to make stupid plays and our coaches have done nothing to stop it.

The undisciplined play is all on Frost. It's far worse than it ever was under Riley. The only way to fix it is in practice. Whatever they have been doing isn't working. They need to do whatever it takes to get their players focused and playing disciplined in practice. It doesn't take 2 years to get a team to start playing disciplined football. It should have already been handled before the first game.

Ha. And so the season will go...lots of threads analyzing useless crap.

Look to the future. Addition through attrition. And please, please recruit some pass rushers, faster WR, athletic DBs, a bunch of big uglies at OL and DL.

I still think we are good at RB.

Nothing more to discuss at this point. Honestly, next year's Spring game will say a lot about how far we've come.

Until then, enjoy the shitshow!

^This

We get the other team into third and long and it's like a (bad) running joke: How can we help the other team get a first down? Horrible play calling? Godawful execution? How about a personal foul for good measure?

I HATE feeling so negative, but you are right. Every single time we have someone in a third and a mile I think this. Every. Single. Time.

It’s happening with Frost... Eric Lee played the entire 2nd half in place of LJ after another stupid penalty. I read that other players also were replaced not to return after their stupidity.

I get the sense that next week the lineup will look a little different. Frost was not happy in his presser and changes are coming.

Discuss
I don't know why Frost wouldn't come out and blame the prior staff for their current issues yesterday. He's had no problem doing it the other times he's been asked about it before.

Reactions: cecilB
I don't know why Frost wouldn't come out and blame the prior staff for their current issues yesterday. He's had no problem doing it the other times he's been asked about it before.
Probably because he has gotten some flak for some of the things he has said. He might be learning to be a bit more diplomatic in his remarks.

It’s happening with Frost... Eric Lee played the entire 2nd half in place of LJ after another stupid penalty. I read that other players also were replaced not to return after their stupidity.

I get the sense that next week the lineup will look a little different. Frost was not happy in his presser and changes are coming.
It's a tough call as I think Lee has looked horrendous on the field. Some of our options at positions are: undisciplined, horrendous, or not physically ready.

Reactions: scarletred

But Frost also said that we have depth issues at some positions and that it isn't as easy as just bringing in a younger dude to replace the dude who is screwing up. I got the impression that he was letting us know that he just does not have options at some positions.

UCF wasn't exactly very disciplined under Frost either. They were 14th in the nation last year in most penalty yards per game, which was more than Riley's Nebraska team.

That's misleading . I actually looked it up and see 18, not 14, and there is only ten yards difference from 18 to 60. You need to jump 20 YPG to see a meaningful difference IMHO.

Just going by memory, there were very few dumb penalties like I see watching this year's huskers. The UCF team was much more disciplined and had a good support system in place around academics and the such when Frosty came on board. And kids being disrespectful to lunch room servers? wtf is that?

I think Frosty has his hands full with a bunch of entitled jocks. O'Leary used to say he weeded out the roaches. Let's see how Frosty's kumbaya love thy brothers players coach mentality deals with tis.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Scott has an almost insurmountable problem near term. Weak OL and DLs practicing against each other. As a result it is incrediblely difficult to get better in practices. I continue to believe our OL’s biggest problem is going against an extremely slow DL that cannot get off blocks. We are going to continue to get our asses handed to us on third down if our only choice is to over commit to get pressure.

Scott has an almost insurmountable problem near term. Weak OL and DLs practicing against each other. As a result it is incrediblely difficult to get better in practices. I continue to believe our OL’s biggest problem is going against an extremely slow DL that cannot get off blocks. We are going to continue to get our asses handed to us on third down if our only choice is to over commit to get pressure.
I agree completely. Several people on here have said the same thing. Frost inherited not only a team of bad habits, but also a team that really, really lacks talent on the lines. Our defensive line is just pathetic. Zero pass rush without blitzes. And when I say "zero" I mean our guys do not even remotely collapse the pocket. So not only do they give the QB plenty of time, they also give him plenty of space in order to survey the field. This, in turn, makes our cover guys look worse than they are. Furthermore, when they are lined up to stop the run on short yardage or goal line stands, they get pushed four yards off the line of scrimmage.

I have said it before and I will say it again.... the Davis twins are two of the most overrated players I have seen in a while.

I also agree with you about practices. I think Frost thought we had a better team than we did because he was watching our two lines practice against each other. But that really gave him little indication of just how weak both lines would be against real teams.

Priority number one for this team going forward is recruiting lineman and developing walk on lineman.

Exactly. Having weak & inept linemen is a serious, serious problem that makes winning almost impossible. Can't block anybody offensively and can't pressure the opponent defensively.

HCSF is earning every single penny he's being paid.

Yep and honestly I don't think he totally knows what to say, I wouldn't.
What can he say? No matter what he says it won't be enough until things get turned around. All he can do is keep working and take the heat. It's tough because all of those writers depend on Husker football to make their living and they need something to write about....good or bad. I saw some things that were good too but unfortunately they didn't add up to a win due to too many mental break downs. Piece by piece we're going to build this thing back but it obviously isn't happening as fast as I had hoped.

Exactly. Having weak & inept linemen is a serious, serious problem that makes winning almost impossible. Can't block anybody offensively and can't pressure the opponent defensively.

HCSF is earning every single penny he's being paid.
Our O line recruiting before Pelini's last year and with Riley's first class is killing us. It's yet to be seen what effect Cav and Riley's recruiting his last 2 years will do to us. IMO, the defensive pressure thing is more scheme related which is befuddling to me. We have to find some playmakers at corner and inside backer. I do think we'll get better as the guys get more comfortable in the system.

ZW64x2b.gif

Reactions: Boston.Knight

Discuss
I think he is saying I’m responsible and this what I am here for. I think it was also a message to the players that weren’t buying in that you have had your chance and now we move on if you aren’t going to do what we ask such as sitting I won’t say his name. Because he went on to mention individuals that he was pleased with. I think he was speaking about the kids that aren’t buying in.

I think you interpreted his comments correctly and thought they were in somewhat poor taste as he must know the current coaches and new players get mostly C, D and F grades, too. But at this point, who really cares what he says? Action is what is needed. The program is a complete mess laughed at nationally and it would be stupid to sugarcoat it.
I believe the previous coaching staff is the biggest reason for our problems. They instilled a mindset in these guys that it is ok to lose. That is very hard to over come once there. However, as Frost said this is his team now. It is his job to figure why these guys aren't doing what they are told. If they won't buy in, he needs to find a way to make them or move on to other players. Even if those other players might not be as ready. Players on this team need to realize, they have to give 100% at all time. If they don't they don't play. If they don't like it there is the door. Frost pushed the msg all off season. Yet we aren't actually seeing him do much about it.

I believe the previous coaching staff is the biggest reason for our problems. They instilled a mindset in these guys that it is ok to lose. That is very hard to over come once there. However, as Frost said this is his team now. It is his job to figure why these guys aren't doing what they are told. If they won't buy in, he needs to find a way to make them or move on to other players. Even if those other players might not be as ready. Players on this team need to realize, they have to give 100% at all time. If they don't they don't play. If they don't like it there is the door. Frost pushed the msg all off season. Yet we aren't actually seeing him do much about it.
Texas has gone though almost the exact same scenario with guys with their turnover and guys who wanted to march to their own drummer. Riley dealt with it til the very end by chosing to not address it. Frost is attacking the mentality head on. Frost will get the time to root out the boat anchors and fix it. IMO, Frost has already sent the message to some guys with pine time. Frankly I kind of expect news of a transfer or two today or tomorrow. We'll see. With the new redshirt rule and the fact that we cancelled that first game, they could leave now and not lose a year.

But they are not.

Long road ahead.
All of this. It's like the more the situation plays into the favor of 99% of teams the more you just know Nebraska is gonna screw it up. Third and long on defense is the perfect example.

It's a tough call as I think Lee has looked horrendous on the field. Some of our options at positions are: undisciplined, horrendous, or not physically ready.
But Frost also said that we have depth issues at some positions and that it isn't as easy as just bringing in a younger dude to replace the dude who is screwing up. I got the impression that he was letting us know that he just does not have options at some positions.
You both may be right in that we don’t see a lot of changes to the depth chart next week. For the very reasons you both have stated. On the other hand, at least now players know that if they’re playing stupid and undisciplined, they’re going to get yanked from the game. Even if the back up is horrendous. If the back up is at least doing what he is supposed to be doing, the coaches will favor that. And if we’re gonna lose, let’s at least lose playing disciplined ball.

Texas has gone though almost the exact same scenario with guys with their turnover and guys who wanted to march to their own drummer. Riley dealt with it til the very end by chosing to not address it. Frost is attacking the mentality head on. Frost will get the time to root out the boat anchors and fix it. IMO, Frost has already sent the message to some guys with pine time. Frankly I kind of expect news of a transfer or two today or tomorrow. We'll see. With the new redshirt rule and the fact that we cancelled that first game, they could leave now and not lose a year.
Very possible. I for sure think we some transferring at season end.

This puzzled me as well. "This is my team now" may be a step in the right direction, but as Pennsy noted it still comes off as a way of potentially hedging one's failures as a coach and staff.

In answer to Pennsy's question, I think he is problematically trying to do both: Frost is trying take responsibility for the product on the field and point out that part of the reason it's so bad has nothing to do with him.

Some of the criticism Frost has leveled at his own players thus far would have been lamented by the fans and media of previous administrations as "throwing kids under the bus." He has also taken seemingly every opportunity to point out flaws in the way the previous administration did things. That is starting to look real bad right now, because whatever the flaws of the previous administration they did not have a season start out like this, and the players do not seem to be making satisfactory progress.

Also, so far in Frost's tenure there has been a palpable "us" and "them" mentality, where "us" mostly points to being a winner, a hard worker, and a defender of past tradition and "them" refers to selfish players who don't work hard enough and don't get Nebraska's "culture." All of this talk about "buy-in" and establishing a culture, while it's great low-hanging fruit for the fan base and may galvanize them and keep them from losing hope, does not at all seem to have been healthy for the team.

Even yesterday Frost is pointing out individual players he'll go to "battle" with, but that means there are some players on the team he wouldn't go to battle with. Is Gerald Foster someone he would battle with, or is Frost just waiting for his eligibility to expire? What about Tanner Farmer and other players who at least seem to get it but can't quite execute (for whatever reason)? Do these outsiders know who they are? Have they been held accountable, or will they be held accountable now?

Most importantly: why isn't he willing to go to battle with everyone if it's his team?

Apparently, when he said it was "his team" he meant he is responsible for the product on the field, but he is not responsible for the players that comprise it. So it's both "his team" and not "his team."

I hope that kind of thinking changes going forward, because Frost has the longest leash of any coach at a D1 program ever. If he truly feels that way he has the leeway to start true freshmen and walk-ons where needed and to get "his team" on the field. If after this game there is still an "us" and "them" that shows up on the field--well, after five games in that that's a problem that seems to me to rest squarely on Frost's shoulders.

Reactions: Crushinator

But they are not.

Long road ahead.
Spot on

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT