ADVERTISEMENT

Front Seven Seemed Better

Suhrreal

Defensive Coordinator
Jun 1, 2009
I think we saw 6-8 different DL in there? They were rotating liberally right from the start, and I think that is a good sign for the rest of the season. Probably should have happened more last year as the DL we graduated to the NFL gassed out in several games, notably the CU game after dominating the first half. Pleasantly surprised by Casey Rogers and Ty Robinson. Think we held up at the LOS fairly well.

ILB play was fairly good as well. Honas really starting to shine with experience. He came on at the end of last year. Colin Miller also seemed to be in on a lot of plays. Few he would probably like back, but we probably just played the best OL we will see all year.

OLB...uh-oh. Still no sign of anything after 3 years. Jojo making a few plays as he is known to do, but a lot to worry about here. Tannor with a sack but looking very indecisive on other plays. Garret Nelson was often manhandled at the LOS, and I did not like to see him drop into coverage in the middle of the field. Could not help but notice Garrett Snodgrass being sent out wide to cover a WR with no safety help behind him...what? Luckily we were bailed out by a timeout or penalty before that play happened. Pheldarius Payne? Interesting to see him out there and he actually looked good at the LOS. Nick Heinrich...welcome to big time college football.

Secondary? Hard to say as you are not going to look good trying to cover one of the best WR units in the country when you are not pressuring the QB whatsoever. I will say that the physicality in the secondary is up to par now that #21 has moved on. Deontai Williams is definitely living up to his reputation and I didn't know you could get ejected for targeting by leading with your back. Bootle also has the heart of a lion with the way he comes up in run support despite his size. Need backups to step up for 1 half next week.

Saw a lot of promising stuff. We tackled better. Looked much more physical than last year. Had at least 3 sacks (might have been 4 or 5) of the most mobile QB we'll see.

OL moved some people. Martinez looked more like the 18 version running the ball. Some good looking option plays. Throws were mostly accurate.

Much improved at placekicker.

Saw a lot of promising stuff. We tackled better. Looked much more physical than last year. Had at least 3 sacks (might have been 4 or 5) of the most mobile QB we'll see.

OL moved some people. Martinez looked more like the 18 version running the ball. Some good looking option plays. Throws were mostly accurate.

Much improved at placekicker.

Score looks much different if we take care of the ball and erase the dumb penalties. Liewer penalty killed a drive after we had momentum. Delay of game coming out of a timeout is just bizarre considering we had that problem last year as well. Scott Frost is the person to blame for those because he should be aware of the clock as well as the QB.

Next week will be more telling about where we are.

I liked how our DL played on first glance. I will go through it again but think they played a lot of guys and they did just fine. I thought the ILB's did a decent job too. I think the OLB's did okay. It's a work in progress there. We need an upgrade in talent there but for the most part it was okay.

I was mainly disappointed in the secondary which I thought was our strongest and most experienced unit. I thought we played too soft and didn't play smart. Maybe that was the game plan and an acknowledgement of lack of speed on our part? I don't know. Their Qb was 20 for 21 and the WR had big cushions. It was disappointing.

Offensively we were up and down. I thought our OL would do better. I wish we would use the TE more. I wish we wouldn't run Mills wide. Our offense doesn't deal with adversity well. I am glad we got some young guys playing on the OL in this game. It will help us eventually.

ST was okay. Don't get why we fair caught a couple of short kicks but then chose to run a KO out of end zone. Geeez

Take the ball at the 25 and don't get beat over the top were clearly in the game plan. I'm fine with the former. The latter was a little too extreme. That said, we made plenty of plays on first and second down. Have to get off the field. You can't give up a 15 yd run on third and 13.

db's playing way to soft. very few if any contested pass catches. looked like we were playing prevent d for the entire game. better than we looked last year though

Reactions: BleedRed78
Yeah they seemed a little better. Forced OSU to drive instead of them being able to just hang explosive plays every time. We'll know more about what we've got up front after Wisconsin tries to bang on them for 4 quarters.

I think we saw 6-8 different DL in there? They were rotating liberally right from the start, and I think that is a good sign for the rest of the season. Probably should have happened more last year as the DL we graduated to the NFL gassed out in several games, notably the CU game after dominating the first half. Pleasantly surprised by Casey Rogers and Ty Robinson. Think we held up at the LOS fairly well.

ILB play was fairly good as well. Honas really starting to shine with experience. He came on at the end of last year. Colin Miller also seemed to be in on a lot of plays. Few he would probably like back, but we probably just played the best OL we will see all year.

OLB...uh-oh. Still no sign of anything after 3 years. Jojo making a few plays as he is known to do, but a lot to worry about here. Tannor with a sack but looking very indecisive on other plays. Garret Nelson was often manhandled at the LOS, and I did not like to see him drop into coverage in the middle of the field. Could not help but notice Garrett Snodgrass being sent out wide to cover a WR with no safety help behind him...what? Luckily we were bailed out by a timeout or penalty before that play happened. Pheldarius Payne? Interesting to see him out there and he actually looked good at the LOS. Nick Heinrich...welcome to big time college football.

Secondary? Hard to say as you are not going to look good trying to cover one of the best WR units in the country when you are not pressuring the QB whatsoever. I will say that the physicality in the secondary is up to par now that #21 has moved on. Deontai Williams is definitely living up to his reputation and I didn't know you could get ejected for targeting by leading with your back. Bootle also has the heart of a lion with the way he comes up in run support despite his size. Need backups to step up for 1 half next week.

I didn't think the inside LBs had a good game at all. Maybe I need to look again. The OLBs we're about what I expected. Gotta play the hand you are dealt I guess.

Pleasantly surprised by Keen Green and Rogers.

Honestly think the secondary playing so far off was by design so hard to blame them.

Holla

Reactions: Dharry
I liked how our DL played on first glance. I will go through it again but think they played a lot of guys and they did just fine. I thought the ILB's did a decent job too. I think the OLB's did okay. It's a work in progress there. We need an upgrade in talent there but for the most part it was okay.

I was mainly disappointed in the secondary which I thought was our strongest and most experienced unit. I thought we played too soft and didn't play smart. Maybe that was the game plan and an acknowledgement of lack of speed on our part? I don't know. Their Qb was 20 for 21 and the WR had big cushions. It was disappointing.

Offensively we were up and down. I thought our OL would do better. I wish we would use the TE more. I wish we wouldn't run Mills wide. Our offense doesn't deal with adversity well. I am glad we got some young guys playing on the OL in this game. It will help us eventually.

ST was okay. Don't get why we fair caught a couple of short kicks but then chose to run a KO out of end zone. Geeez

I'd fair catch every single one of them.

Holla

He was decent I think for his first D1 game. Especially considering @Cornicator said he would never play a down at Nebraska 😁😁😁. I kid because I care Corn.

Holla

I will own it. I did not like his film at all.

On a side note, does anyone else look at Keem Green's body and salivate in a non homo erotic way? My God that kid looks like a dude.

Reactions: kakdawg

On a side note, does anyone else look at Keem Green's body and salivate in a non homo erotic way? My God that kid looks like a dude.
I saw he played some. Why doesnt he play like a dude yet?

Keem Green was one of the surprises for me. That guy DOES have an NFL body and he can move as well. I said earlier I think he was one of our top 3 DL. Also thought Rogers looked good.

Yeah I hear you on Payne. I just liked his motor and ability to rush the passer in JC. Never thought he would be an every down player inside but knew how bad we were at rushing the passer. Figured if he showed any propensity to get to the QB he would find his way into the field. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable he gets better.

What did you think about the DL as a whole? I'll admit I think I was wrong about their being a drop off. This group just may be better than last year. I didn't their would be any way that would happen.

Holla

Keem Green was one of the surprises for me. That guy DOES have an NFL body and he can move as well. I said earlier I think he was one of our top 3 DL. Also thought Rogers looked good.

Yeah I hear you on Payne. I just liked his motor and ability to rush the passer in JC. Never thought he would be an every down player inside but knew how bad we were at rushing the passer. Figured if he showed any propensity to get to the QB he would find his way into the field. Hopefully as he gets more comfortable he gets better.

What did you think about the DL as a whole? I'll admit I think I was wrong about their being a drop off. This group just may be better than last year. I didn't their would be any way that would happen.

Holla

I thought they looked a lot more physical and played the inside zone well while also holding leverage much better.

Score looks much different if we take care of the ball and erase the dumb penalties. Liewer penalty killed a drive after we had momentum. Delay of game coming out of a timeout is just bizarre considering we had that problem last year as well. Scott Frost is the person to blame for those because he should be aware of the clock as well as the QB.

Next week will be more telling about where we are.
I put that sol on Adrian he’s out on the field he’s supposed to be watching the play clock

I thought Payne did pretty well when he was in. Was pleasantly surprised

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT