ADVERTISEMENT

Friday: Nebraska vs. Penn State (Huskers lose 7-4)

Top 1st

2 out walk. Hit past SS (should have been an E6 IMO), runners on 1st and 2nd. Pop up to 1st ends the threat. Burkamper pitched 21 pitches that inning though.

Bottom 2nd

Fish with a one out single past SS. Luis K's. Rev doubles down the RF line but Fish has to stay at 3rd! Schlepp grounds out to 2nd

Top 3rd

Leadoff single past 2nd. Infield single puts runners on 1st and 2nd. SAC bunt moves the runners up a bag. Sac fly scores a runner, the other moves to 3rd. 4 pitch walk. The next batter K's but is safe getting to 1st and another scores. Odd play that the batter actually kicked the ball accidentally running to first after swinging at a 3rd pitch strike in the dirt. Line out to LF.

Top 4th

Leadoff walk followed by a sac bunt. RBI single up the middle. Pop up to 1st. Pop up to 3rd.

Top 5th

One out single past 3rd. Infield single puts runners on 1st and 2nd. Groundout to SS, runners advance to 2nd and 3rd. Next batter walks to load the bases. Great diving catch by Boldt to end the inning and save a couple more runs from scoring.

Top 7th

One out double off the LF wall. Groundout to 3rd, runners stays at 2nd. Next batter is HBP. Fly out to LF ends the frame.

Bottom 7th

Fish with a leadoff walk on 4 pitches. Alvarado rips a liner right in the SS's glove. Rev walks. Wilkening in to pinch hit and hits an RBI single to right center field!!! Rev goes 1st to 3rd on the hit. Altavilla in to pinch run for Wilkening. Placzek hits into a 5-4-3 inning ending double play.

Bottom 7th

Fish with a leadoff walk on 4 pitches. Alvarado rips a liner right in the SS's glove. Rev walks. Wilkening in to pinch hit and hits an RBI single to right center field!!! Rev goes 1st to 3rd on the hit. Altavilla in to pinch run for Wilkening. Placzek hits into a 5-4-3 inning ending double play.
My kingdom for ANYONE to get a BIG. Hit.......

Bottom 7th

Nice to see that our bats are being handcuffed by a pitcher who is 3-7 with an ERA > 5

My bad, not sure what I was looking at: Hedge is 4-2 with 2.6era. Still a no show on offense....I will say no more until this inning is over.

Last edited:
Top 8th

Two out infield single followed by a single past 3rd. 3 run homerun for PSU. :mad: Groundout to pitcher ends that disaster.

Home sweet home? We have two good road series, and then come back home and look like crap.

Bottom 8th

Boldt with Leadoff walk. Meyers singles past 1st and Boldt heads to 3rd. Miller RBI singles past 1st as well, Boldt scores, Meyers to 2nd. New pitcher for PSU. Schreiber with an RBI single up the middle!! Runners on 1st and 2nd. Fish K's. Alvarado safe on an E4 to load the bases! Rev hits into a double play to end the inning. Good grief if we lose this game we will know why.

Bottom 8th

Boldt with Leadoff walk. Meyers singles past 1st and Boldt heads to 3rd. Miller RBI singles past 1st as well, Boldt scores, Meyers to 2nd. New pitcher for PSU. Schreiber with an RBI single up the middle!! Runners on 1st and 2nd. Fish K's. Alvarado safe on an E4 to load the bases! Rev hits into a double play to end the inning. Good grief if we lose this game we will know why.
wow..............

Top 8th

Two out infield single followed by a single past 3rd. 3 run homerun for PSU. :mad: Groundout to pitcher ends that disaster.
Hindsight is always 20/20, but why was Palkert still in the game in the 8th in a close game? Hasn't that role been Chestnut/Eddins all year?

Top 9th

King now in to pitch. 2 out walk for PSU. Single to CF. Fish throws the ball into LF trying to throw out the runner and he scores. K ends the threat.

Reactions: snowling
Bottom 9th

Placzek with a one out single to RF. WP advances him to 2nd. Boldt grounds out to 2nd. Meyers with an RBI infield single, advances to 2nd on the throwing error. Miller flies out to LF to end the game.

The lack of motivation and desire on this team is terrible! On the bubble to make a regional, have a chance to possibly win the league still, playing at home, and they come out with no emotion or care! This team is soft! Whether they win the series or not losing tonights game to a team as bad as PSU is inexcusable with whats on the line.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but why was Palkert still in the game in the 8th in a close game? Hasn't that role been Chestnut/Eddins all year?
That was my thought as well. I scratch my head at times. Maybe Chesnut looked shaky in the pen? Not sure.

The lack of motivation and desire on this team is terrible! On the bubble to make a regional, have a chance to possibly win the league still, playing at home, and they come out with no emotion or care! This team is soft! Whether they win the series or not losing tonights game to a team as bad as PSU is inexcusable with whats on the line.
I usually cringe when people say a series is a "must sweep" (because it seems like it gets thrown out somewhere EVERY week, and it's just not always realistic). But this series fit the criteria Sick

This seems to be a hallmark of Erstad teams. They succeed best when nobody is paying attention to them or giving them a chance. Then as soon as they do something good and people start taking notice, they seem to let up. No killer instinct at all.

This team has not accomplished anything yet. With as close as the standings are, it is not a given yet that they even make the tournament.

This seems to be a hallmark of Erstad teams. They succeed best when nobody is paying attention to them or giving them a chance. Then as soon as they do something good and people start taking notice, they seem to let up. No killer instinct at all.

This team has not accomplished anything yet. With as close as the standings are, it is far from a given yet that they even make the tournament.

Erstad, does not know how or has not figured out how yet to motivate college age kids. He knows the game and may be a good teacher of the game but as far as getting his kids motivated he can't do it. Penn State is terrible and again with whats on the line for this team...tonights game and this series should be 3 wins.

I didn't really expect a sweep. Penn State isn't terrible. A series win will be good enough but losing in Friday makes the task that much tougher.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I didn't really expect a sweep. Penn State isn't terrible. A series win will be good enough but losing in Friday makes the task that much tougher.

Typical northern school fan response. Penn State is terrible just like B10 baseball in general! This team given the resources it has, the facilities, etc should be consistently in the Top 20 every year. Good teams with as much on the line as this team don't lose to teams like Penn State on their own diamond! Keep touting the B10 baseball and Penn State baseball.

Typical northern school fan response. Penn State is terrible just like B10 baseball in general! This team given the resources it has, the facilities, etc should be consistently in the Top 20 every year. Good teams with as much on the line as this team don't lose to teams like Penn State on their own diamond! Keep touting the B10 baseball and Penn State baseball.
Penn St is not terrible. Not even close. They might have better facilities than us too.

You should never expect sweeps ever.

That being said it has been very frustrating this season and last when every time we seem to take s step forward we shoot ourselves in the foot.

If we win this series, we still have what we need in front of us, but losing like this sucks

One thing Erstad needs to do is get these guys to stop playing to the level of their competition. He has also struggled with keeping these guys motivated when they don't have that underdog role. Erstad was such a self motivated player himself that it seems he isn't sure how to motivate those who don't always have that self motivation. Guys like Meyers who are so self motivated are the type of guys Erstad seems comfortable with. He needs to look into a sports psychologist or do a little coach watching at other programs during the offseason to take that next step I feel.

I still feel we win that game if he puts Chesnut in the 8th inning instead of Palkert.

Penn St is not terrible. Not even close. They might have better facilities than us too.

That being said it has been very frustrating this season and last when every time we seem to take s step forward we shoot ourselves in the foot.

If we win this series, we still have what we need in front of us, but losing like this sucks
They have a nice ballpark, but I don't think there's any way their overall facilities are as nice as ours. They also don't have the tradition or fan support we do.

I don't think winning 2 out of 3 would be that bad, but losing the first game really puts extra pressure to win the next two. Losing the series is inexcusable.

They have a nice ballpark, but I don't think there's any way their overall facilities are as nice as ours. They also don't have the tradition or fan support we do.

I don't think winning 2 out of 3 would be that bad, but losing the first game really puts extra pressure to win the next two. Losing the series is inexcusable.

I can agree with this but I still think we win the next two. I was somewhat worried about Friday night because Burkamper struggles pitching in the cold and they had their ace on the mound who isn't too shabby. Doesn't help that we are a few feet off on a couple homeruns, couple double plays, overall bounces went their way, even the ump was a little easier on them than us for some odd reason. At the end of the day the ball didn't bounce our way which is somewhat luck of the bounce and shooting ourselves in the foot.

I will always expect sweeps against sorry mediocre baseball teams. Former BIG12 pitcher here speaking, so we can talk baseball all day if ya want? You saying you should never expect sweeps sounds like the typical fan ok with mediocre results and happy with 500 teams?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT