ADVERTISEMENT

Friday: Nebraska vs. Oklahoma State (Huskers lose 6-0)

Bottom 7th

One out single up the middle, the runner then steals 2nd. Next batter K's. RBI single to RF and then steals 2nd. Next batter out to end the inning.

Top 8th

Cobb now in to pitch for Hatch. Meyers with a one out HBP. Miller K's. Altavilla walks. Wilkening grounds out to SS to end the frame.

Top 9th

1-2-3 inning moves the Huskers to the losers bracket. Time to earn it the hard way.

I like Erstad, I really do...but I just don't see any scrap in his teams. When they get down/behind in these 'games we have to win' situations, they just seem to roll over. I don't get it.

As disappointing as it has been to watch the team go 0-2 in the tournament and then continue that level of play in the NCAA Regionals, I don't look at a sample size of three games to determine the overall worth of the coaching staff. Put simply, this is the level of team we have right now. We barely sneak into the regionals (or barely miss it) just about every year now. To me, that's a better measure of Erstad. Can he do better? Should we expect better? Those are honest questions.

Why? I'm assuming you mean as a head coach.
I mean as an overall person and NU alumnus...as for HC, not digging the progress. We'll see how the kids react tomorrow, especially if WC jumps on them early. But regardless...no way we come back through OkieSt AND Clemson to win this. No friggin' way.

Really hope we can beat Western Carolina tomorrow, because if we go 0-2, it's probably worse for the future of the program than not making the tournament at all. Of course, it's great for the players to get a chance to play in the NCAA tournament, but just making the tournament is enough for people to believe Erstad is succeeding when he really isn't.

Reactions: saluno22
As disappointing as it has been to watch the team go 0-2 in the tournament and then continue that level of play in the NCAA Regionals, I don't look at a sample size of three games to determine the overall worth of the coaching staff. Put simply, this is the level of team we have right now. We barely sneak into the regionals (or barely miss it) just about every year now. To me, that's a better measure of Erstad. Can he do better? Should we expect better? Those are honest questions.

I think the sample size should be the five years he has been HC. Assuming we go 1-2 in this regional...after five years what Erstad has to show is zero Big Ten tournament titles, zero regular season titles...and likely wins over Binghamton and Western Carolina in regionals. I would hope expectations would be higher and my guess, in Erstads mind they are. As for can he do better? That's tough to answer...until he proves otherwise I don't see any reason to believe hes a guy who can get us back to a program that can get to Omaha.

Not embarrassing to lose to Okie St and Clemson in this regional but it would be if we loss tomorrow.

Wonder what Paul Meyers thinks of Erstad as a Head Coach?

I think the sample size should be the five years he has been HC. Assuming we go 1-2 in this regional...after five years what Erstad has to show is zero Big Ten tournament titles, zero regular season titles...and likely wins over Binghamton and Western Carolina in regionals. I would hope expectations would be higher and my guess, in Erstads mind they are. As for can he do better? That's tough to answer...until he proves otherwise I don't see any reason to believe hes a guy who can get us back to a program that can get to Omaha.

Counting on a win in this regional is being quite optimistic IMO. This team is done, and apparently has been for the last couple weeks.

no shame in losing to okie state but if we go 0-2 it's a long offseason. I just want to see these kids fight. Plazcek staring down 2 strikes with bases loaded doesn't help

In a way you've got to be excited for
The young talent. Not one senior save Chesnut will be missed from this team from a talent standpoint. Great guys and worked their butts off but our talented players are underclassmen. Will be interesting what Burkamper and Knutson do. Boldt is probably gone too but his bat hasn't exactly been helpful for most the year unfortunately. Miller will be back I'd imagine along with our best hitters and pitchers IMO.

In a way you've got to be excited for
The young talent. Not one senior save Chesnut will be missed from this team from a talent standpoint. Great guys and worked their butts off but our talented players are underclassmen. Will be interesting what Burkamper and Knutson do. Boldt is probably gone too but his bat hasn't exactly been helpful for most the year unfortunately. Miller will be back I'd imagine along with our best hitters and pitchers IMO.
I don't know all the stats but Miller is my favorite batter by a mile. That kid could be down 0-2 in the count, battle back to 3-2 and then get a hit or walk

I don't either. I look at rhe long term pattern of laying major eggs when we have the opportunity to make major strides as a program.

This year : michigan series when we could have taken a major step toward a re gular season big ten title. We get swept.

San diego tournament. 1-2.

Long beach 1-2

Charleston 1-2.

Big ren tourney bbqd

Don't get me started on previous years

We never do anything unless there is zero pressure. Sure we swept indiana. We didn't have any chance to win anything.

We've laid down and died for YEARS when we have a chance to win something. Erstad has done everything except get us over that hump. We are basically tom osborne's 1980s teams in a bad conference. The rough equivalent of byu minus the faux national title in 1984.

In other words. We are nothing. And until we stop losing spectacularly in big games we will continue to be nothing.

Comparison : under Dave van horn we used to travel to Stanford or rice early in the year. In our good years we won those series. It didn't matter if we were a northern team.

Is Boldt one of the more overrated prospects to come thru Lincoln? Maybe I'm being a bit harsh as he's been solid, but...I'm not using one of my top picks on him if I'm in charge of a big league club.
I am about ready for his show to hit the road. Just watching him it appears he's quit and is just waiting for the draft. 5 for his last 52 is horrible.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT