ADVERTISEMENT

Friday: Nebraska vs. Minnesota (Huskers win 5-3)

Top 1st

Leadoff single to RF for Meyers, he then steals 2nd. Altavilla Ks as Meyers steals 3rd. Alvarado with the SAC fly to RF. Schreiber grounds out to 3rd

Bottom 1st

Jake Hohensee on the mound. One out single up the middle. Fly out to CF. groundout to SS ends the inning.

Top 2nd

1-2-3 inning for the Skers. Oddly enough all three batters strike out on full counts. Not sure I've ever seen that before.

Bottom 2nd

Leadoff double for Minny. Back to back groundouts score the run. Groundout ends the inning

Top 3rd

1-2-3 for the Skers (I hope I don't have to copy and paste this all night again)

Bottom 3rd

One of single for Minny. 2 run HR for the Gophers. Next 2 batters k to end the inning

Top 4th

Leadoff walk for Altavilla. Alvarado flies out to RF. Schreiber pops out in the infield. Miller flies out to end another bad inning.

Top 5th

Raburn with a one out double down the LF line. Wilkening walks. Schlepp loads the bases with a HBP. Meyers with a 2 RBI single to left centerfield!!!! Runners on 1st and 3rd. Altavilla bunts and Schlepp is called out trying to take home on what sounds like a bad call by the home plate umpire, runners on 1st and 2nd. Alvarado flies out to end the frame

Bottom 5th

One out ground rule double for Minny. Groundout to 2nd moves the runner to 3rd. Pop out ends the inning.

Top 6th

1-2-3 for the Skers. Repinski with three Ks this game. I'd hope they would pinch hit for him next time. Our 2-3-4-5-6 hitters are a combined 0/13 tonight. Altavilla does have a walk and Alvarado has a SAC fly however.

Top 7th

New pitcher in for Minnesota. Another 1-2-3 inning for the Skers. That is four 1-2-3 innings for the Skers and Minny has none. However, it is 3-3 which is most important.

Bottom 7th

Leadoff walk for Minnesota. Next batter flies out to CF. fly out to Miller and the runner is then doubled off 1st since he tried stealing on the play.

Top 8th

Leadoff single for Meyers! Altavilla lays down a SAC bunt but is safe on the bunt single instead, Meyers heads to 3rd on an E5! Alvarado flies out to 2nd (I think the 3 hole idea has failed). Pitching change for Minnesota. Schreiber with an RBI single through the right side!!! Runners on 1st and 2nd. Miller with an RBI single to CF!!! Runners again on 1st and 2nd. Roskam in to pinch hit for Repinski as expected and he Ks swinging. Raburn flies out to end the threat.

Bottom 8th

Jake McSteen now in to pitch and he pitches a 1-2-3 inning! The Huskers 1st of
The night!

Top 9th

2 out infield single to 3rd for Meyers and then he steals 2nd (Meyers is 4/5 with 2 RBI's, 2 runs, and 3 SB's). Altavilla flies out to RF.

Bottom 9th

One out single to CF for Minnesota. Alvarado now in to get the save for Nebraska. Infield pop up for out #2! Groundout to SS gives the Huskers the win!!!

Hohensee gets the win and Alvarado gets the save!

Nice job Huskers. Lets go for the series win tomarrow. I didnt want to sleep through this game damnit. But oh well as long as they get the W I may sleep through the rest of em too.

Interesting stat they said on the radio-we have won our last 12 series on the road when we have won the first game.

Reactions: saluno22
Interesting stat they said on the radio-we have won our last 12 series on the road when we have won the first game.
I heard that too. Nice stat that works in our favor. Let's just hope Burkamper and Meyers are on these next two days.

You baseball fans are old and boring Winking

Lol I hear ya. Working overnights and a 4 year old leave no sleepy for me anymore. It was even on BTN plus so I could watch it. I did watch the final 2 outs though. If they would have lost in those 2 outs, I probably never would have watched a game again. The diving catch by whoever was catching tonight made me nervous for the 2nd out in the 9th.

Ok the stat these guys are talking about, our Sunday games have been money this season. Getting Friday makes me feel much more comfortable. Although the hitting still didnt seem to hot, the pitching came through inly allowing 1 HR and 3 total runs. How long did Hohensee go tonight?

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Lol I hear ya. Working overnights and a 4 year old leave no sleepy for me anymore. It was even on BTN plus so I could watch it. I did watch the final 2 outs though. If they would have lost in those 2 outs, I probably never would have watched a game again. The diving catch by whoever was catching tonight made me nervous for the 2nd out in the 9th.

Ok the stat these guys are talking about, our Sunday games have been money this season. Getting Friday makes me feel much more comfortable. Although the hitting still didnt seem to hot, the pitching came through inly allowing 1 HR and 3 total runs. How long did Hohensee go tonight?
He went 7 innings. Gave up a 2 run bomb otherwise did well. The hitting wasn't great but we had clutch hitting which is crucial for a team like us.

I hear you on the overnights buddy. I used to do them as well with a couple 2 year olds. At least we have baseball, much more relaxing with a win though.

Reactions: donahues17

Multiple number of scouts at the game watching that Gopher lefty. Good pitcher and likely the reason for our hitting woes. It happens.

Just took a gander at the stats. Very clean game: two walks for each team, plus and error and HBP by Minnesota.

Throw in the number of full counts Gilbreath got into, it's a testament to him that he didn't concede more walks and a testament to our guys for getting his pitch count high in short order.

Reactions: k9_r
Just took a gander at the stats. Very clean game: two walks for each team, plus and error and HBP by Minnesota.

Throw in the number of full counts Gilbreath got into, it's a testament to him that he didn't concede more walks and a testament to our guys for getting his pitch count high in short order.
Yeah, we worked that Gilbreath guy pretty hard. Needed too b/c if he could have gone longer then passed off to their closer this would have been a different game. Getting his pitch count up so quickly played a big role in that game.

Reactions: saluno22
Minneapolis StarTribune's entire story on the game..

Nebraska rallied to beat the Gophers 5-3 on Friday night at Siebert Field in Big Ten baseball.

Minnesota (22-11, 7-3 Big Ten) took a 3-1 lead in the third inning on Terrin Vavra’s two-run homer. But the Cornhuskers (22-14-1, 6-3-1) tied the score with two runs in the fifth inning and took the lead with two more runs in the eighth. Leadoff hitter Jake Meyers was 3-for-4 with two RBI and two runs scored for Nebraska.

Yeah, pretty sure Jake went 4/5. Pretty sure. Maybe if they had more to say about the game they might have gotten things more right.

ADVERTISEMENT