ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, April 9th: Maryland at Nebraska - Huskers Win 6-2

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
The audio on BTN+ today is the home team’s radio broadcast. I pray that will be the standard from here on out but I expect it’s probably because they couldn’t round up any student volunteers to man the booth.

Bottom 6

Matthews hits a two-out solo homer over the 403 sign in left-center! His first two at-bats were fly balls caught at the wall in left. He's swinging a big stick today.

Everett singles up the middle. Acker doubles to left. Hallmark flies out to right to end the threat.

5-1 Big Red

I thought Matthews was going to get robbed on that one too.
I thought he caught it at first. What a day ue is having swinging the bat. A couple were outs but huge swings finally paid off. Im not really sure why Maryland still pitched to him.

Top 7

Povich gets a groundout and then gives up a bomb to left. It was about as long a home run as I've personally seen hit at Haymarket Park. Pitching change: Wynne enters.

Final stat line for Povich: 6.1 IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 5 SO, 2 R, 2 ER

Wynne allows a two-out double and walks the next batter but induces a grounder to first for the third out. Roskam makes another of many fine plays he has made at first today.

Stretch time. 5-2 Big Red.

Last edited:
Bottom 7

Schwellenbach leads off with a bunt single. Chick strikes out and Anderson grounds into a 5-4-3 double play.

5-2 Big Red

Top 8

Wynne gets a lineout to third for the first out. Pitching change: Bunz enters.

Final stat line on Wynne: 1 IP, 1 H, 1 BB, 0 SO, 0 R

Bunz walks a batter, strikes out the next one and the one after that.

5-2 Big Red

Last edited:
Bottom 8

Roskam walks for the third time today. Hagge lays down a sacrifice bunt. Roskam advances to third on a wild pitch. Matthews singles up the middle to bring in a run! Matthews steals second. Matthews steals third (the throw was wild but hit the umpire to prevent a run). Everett strikes out. Acker strikes out to end the threat.

6-2 Big Red

Top 9

Pitching Change: Schwellenbach enters

Final stat line on Bunz: 0.2 IP, 0 H, 1 BB, 2 SO, 0 R

Schwellenbach gives up a two-out double but strikes out the next batter to work a drama-free 9th.

Final stat line on Schwellenbach: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 BB, 2 SO, 0 R

FINAL: 6-2 Big Red

Ohio State beat Michigan 7-4 earlier today. Nebraska remains in first place at 14-5 with a 1-1/2 game lead over Michigan and Ohio State at 13-7.

Reactions: sklarbodds
That was a soul satisfying win especially because we came alive in the 5th up against a quality pitcher who was getting better by the inning.

So, before our at bats in the 5th, Bolt got the team together in the dugout for a little talk. Whatever he told them sure worked.

So, before our at bats in the 5th, Bolt got the team together in the dugout for a little talk. Whatever he told them sure worked.

It had to do with better swings. Coach Harvell seemed a little agitated the previous two innings & we had heard something about better swings so that's my guess. There were a lot of hollers from the crowd about their guy not on the rubber during delivery. We noticed Harvell mentioned something twice to the 3B ump and it looked like he drew a line in the grass.

Regardless, solid win today. Solid on the bump, solid in the field (minus Mojo misplaying the one ball but he made up for it with the diving play) & some unselfish AB's throughout the game. I found it interesting the staff went to Wynne instead of Bragg, that's the first time it's happened this season on a Friday night.

ADVERTISEMENT