ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, April 7th Nebraska at Michigan (Huskers win 3-1 in 10 innings)

If this was the case, a second place finish in league play regular season should be good enough to get in.

If this was the case, a second place finish in league play regular season should be good enough to get in.
Unfortunately I think we will have to win the league or the tourney to get in the more I look at it. A lot can change, but the projections I see have us at an 80 RPI +/- 5 to finish the year. The committee has never skipped past a regular season champ but they usually base the rest on RPI rankings in the past. They rarely if ever take into account BA or ERA rankings that I know of.

Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota will really hurt us RPI wise and the early season hiccups will somewhat haunt us as well.

However, one wildcard would be to finish 2nd and then load up some wins in the tourney to bump our RPI in the top 50 range. Then we would be safe. So much baseball left to be played though to read into RPI too much right now but some commonalities can be used from the projections.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Unfortunately I think we will have to win the league or the tourney to get in the more I look at it. A lot can change, but the projections I see have us at an 80 RPI +/- 5 to finish the year. The committee has never skipped past a regular season champ but they usually base the rest on RPI rankings in the past. They rarely if ever take into account BA or ERA rankings that I know of.

Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota will really hurt us RPI wise and the early season hiccups will somewhat haunt us as well.

However, one wildcard would be to finish 2nd and then load up some wins in the tourney to bump our RPI in the top 50 range. Then we would be safe. So much baseball left to be played though to read into RPI too much right now but some commonalities can be used from the projections.
Warren Nolan's current projections--which often change by the minute--have Nebraska finishing 15-9 in the league (4th place), 35-17-1 overall and an RPI of 64. That seems very much on the low end. If 6 wins against Northwestern and Minnesota happen, that means going 7-8 against everyone else in the Big 10. If we are truly a regional-quality club, we'll do better than that. Just two more wins would probably challenge for first place.

Personally, I'm in favor of winning ~24 more games, claiming the regular season conference crown by a wide margin, and (finally) winning the league tournament in front of 24,000 red-clad fans. Then we can just sit back and wait to see which #1 overall seed we get to play. :)

BTN’s crawl is showing incorrect Big Ten baseball standings. They don’t include the games from Sunday, April 2. SMH

With Nebraska's win yesterday, Warren Nolan's prediction has changed. NU is now slated to finish 7th at 14-10 with an RPI of 113. Something tells me these predictions are just a shot in the dark...

With Nebraska's win yesterday, Warren Nolan's prediction has changed. NU is now slated to finish 7th at 14-10 with an RPI of 113. Something tells me these predictions are just a shot in the dark...
I saw that earlier too but it then updated to 69 just now. I think something wonky was going on with their formula. Who knows. Haha

Warren Nolan needs to get out of the prediction game. Radical changes hour by hour condemns their efforts to the comic books. Why do they even bother?

Warren Nolan needs to get out of the prediction game. Radical changes hour by hour condemns their efforts to the comic books. Why do they even bother?
Although they should be taken with a grain of salt I do enjoy geeking out to things like that.

Reactions: saluno22
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT