ADVERTISEMENT

Friday, April 16th: Nebraska at Penn State - (Huskers win 8-2)

Don’t count any help from Minnesota this weekend against Michigan..They’ve only won 2 games since March 22..

Might have to sweep Nittney to stay in first after the weekend..

Top of the 9th, Iowa trailing Rutgers 7-10 plates 7 runs to lead 14-10. This included a two run triple where Rutgers CF overruns an easy out, reaches back and sees the ball bounce off the tip of his glove. Rutgers up.

Iowa beats Rutgers 14-12

Here we have an Iowa blunder. 2nd and 3rd, one out for Rutgers and the batter sends a grounder to first, off the bag ~30 feet. 1st baseman snags the ball but has no throw b/c pitcher (Nedved) didn't find it necessary (I guess) to cover 1st. Run scored.

Sac fly scores another run then 6-3 out ends the game.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Iowa beats Rutgers 14-12

Here we have an Iowa blunder. 2nd and 3rd, one out for Rutgers and the batter sends a grounder to first, off the bag ~30 feet. 1st baseman snags the ball but has no throw b/c pitcher (Nedved) didn't find it necessary (I guess) to cover 1st. Run scored.

Sac fly scores another run then 6-3 out ends the game.
There’s a lot of sloppy defense in college baseball. If you can play clean D, you’ll have a leg up on the competition.

BTW, Nebraska is #5 nationally in fielding percentage and first in the Big Ten by a wide margin.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
To be honest. If we don’t sweep PSU it would be kind of sad. This team is pretty bad. Not Minnesota bad but still pretty bad. One guy batting over .300 and the pitching is ugly.

Reactions: coolonetoo
I had been encouraged by the quality of the BTN+ this year. NOT the announcers, but the video had been pretty good.

Not tonight. No center field camera. Just one in the press box and another somewhere down the first base line. About as good as a HuskersNSide stream circa 2003.

I had been encouraged by the quality of the BTN+ this year. NOT the announcers, but the video had been pretty good.

Not tonight. No center field camera. Just one in the press box and another somewhere down the first base line. About as good as a HuskersNSide stream circa 2003.
The announcer isn't bad at all, but the camera work is atrocious.

That's baffling considering PSU has a very nice minor league stadium, no excuse for the BTN not to have more cameras in there.

Thanks to PSU for this late-game collapse, my blood pressure was getting too high after bases loaded, no outs and only one run.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Offensively we were sloppy for the first 7, at the plate and on the bases, but we do play 9 for a reason! I thought Povich was better tonight than the stat line shows. Really, really, really like the staffs decision to go with Wynn after Povich and Bunz after him. (Big fan of Bragg but he hasn't been getting it done on Friday's.) That's a damn tough RHP/LHP combo out of the pen for the 7-8-9, especially knowing we have Schwellenbach to finish if needed.

These 2 things can't be overlooked, but remember (1) the boys got their covid shots Monday & (2) they had to be at Haymarket Thursday morning at 4:30am to load the bus to Omaha - flew to Denver then to Pittsburgh only to take chartered busses 2 1/2 hours to University Park. Very tight schedule Thursday and a hella long day. At some point though, the B1G needs to have the same schedules for baseball & softball in conference so teams can charter flights for both teams to travel together (NU says they can't charter baseball, because of softball). Or, Moos needs to figure it out - as a 17+ hour travel schedule is unacceptable for an athletic program like Nebraska.

Why didn't we fly out of Lincoln? Lincoln to Pittsburgh is a 5 hour trip via Chicago. Nah, let's force a 17 hour day on the guys! Goodness gracious.

Also something to keep in mind, this Penn State team beat Michigan 3-2 on a Friday, got blown out Saturday then lost in extra innings Sunday (led going in to top of 9). We won, on to Saturday to clinch the series.

A win is a win. Crazy we still scored 8 with a meh day at the plate. Either way you take them any way you can get them.

Reactions: saluno22
Played below the standard for most of the game but still knocked out 14 hits, scored 8 and won by 6. Works for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Can o' corn
To be honest. If we don’t sweep PSU it would be kind of sad. This team is pretty bad. Not Minnesota bad but still pretty bad. One guy batting over .300 and the pitching is ugly.
I never ever expect sweeps but yeah, we really should

One more thing, our 3-4-5 went 2-15, and we won 8-2.
There is a thing about this lineup that we haven't seen in many, many years. Everyone can hit. When someone is slumping someone else is getting hot. We went 8-14 out of the 6, 7, 8, 9 holes. That's .571

This thing has won us several games this year, games we would normally have lost and it's a beautiful thing to see.

I never ever expect sweeps but yeah, we really should
Ima gonna go ahead and predict a sweep. The way PSU lost this game will dishearten those guys to such a degree there won't be any comeback from them.

We just gotta take care of business and the next two are ours.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Seems we have struggled at the plate vs starting Friday night pitchers. But as soon as we get into their bullpen the offense come alive. Win win win

Seems we have struggled at the plate vs starting Friday night pitchers. But as soon as we get into their bullpen the offense come alive. Win win win
Running up pitch counts and chasing the starter as early as possible is the way to win on Friday nights. And it appears to be the formula for the rest of the series. PSU’s bullpens looks shaky at best.

ADVERTISEMENT