ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Hoiberg would have to...

bearcats667

Walk On
Nov 3, 2017
Win 25 straight games to match Doc Sadlers win total at this point in his career
He would have to win 17 straight games to match Tim Miles win total

people will say Fred inherited a mess. Was it really? Talk about Doc inheriting a mess after Barry Collier and playing in the “Lincoln library”

if Fred goes 8-24 again, how many more years does he get with this recruiting class?

• Wow
Reactions: WHCSC
I think Fred has earned a long leash with his success at ISU and his recruiting classes he’s brought in. But to say his tenure has been disappointing so far is an understatement.

It’s difficult to win with guys who haven’t played together. Even the programs who pull multiple five star one-and-dones every class struggle early in the season, sometimes all season. Fred really needs to complement his roster turnover with guys who stay 3-4 years. Hopefully the young guys like Breidenbach, Andre, Wilcher, Edwards fit into that category. Bryce is all but entered into the draft unfortunately.

… win 11 straight to match Scott Frost’s winning percentage at Nebraska.

I think Fred has earned a long leash with his success at ISU and his recruiting classes he’s brought in. But to say his tenure has been disappointing so far is an understatement.

It’s difficult to win with guys who haven’t played together. Even the programs who pull multiple five star one-and-dones every class struggle early in the season, sometimes all season. Fred really needs to complement his roster turnover with guys who stay 3-4 years. Hopefully the young guys like Breidenbach, Andre, Wilcher, Edwards fit into that category. Bryce is all but entered into the draft unfortunately.
Seems like a pretty spot on evaluation

Fred Hoiberg would have to go 24-10 to match Todd Lockliter's record at Iowa.

If he's not 5-2 heading into the NCSU game, fire him. There is no reason to keep him around any longer.

• Wow
Reactions: SWIowahawks
I’m willing to give him 5 years. Just like Frost a lot of those games have been within 7 points with 10 minutes to go.

Fred Hoiberg would have to go 24-10 to match Todd Lockliter's record at Iowa.

If he's not 5-2 heading into the NCSU game, fire him. There is no reason to keep him around any longer.
Id give him the season and then move on. If he cant win with this group he aint going to win. Mcgowan will be gone and it will give them no recruiting momentum to have a bad year

Id give him the season and then move on. If he cant win with this group he aint going to win. Mcgowan will be gone and it will give them no recruiting momentum to have a bad year
I just am not sure we need to fire anyone and have to start over. I think just like football it’s a 6 year rebuild. Not really sure you can build a team to compete in only half a decade. Listen to Joel Klatt.

With Frost being given 5th year after 4 losing seasons, I don't think Hoiberg is going anywhere anytime soon.

I thought it was supposed to be easier to turn it around in basketball. I know I've read that on here. He's got talent, so what's the problem.

Reactions: headcard
I just am not sure we need to fire anyone and have to start over. I think just like football it’s a 6 year rebuild. Not really sure you can build a team to compete in only half a decade. Listen to Joel Klatt.
Oh BS…it never takes a good coach 6 years to build something. Let’s be real, 82/130 teams will make bowls this year, the bar is low.

Hoiberg's system is predicated on tempo, passing and making shots. He needs players willing to do all those things well. I have no doubt he and Matt can evaluate talent but their transfer philosophy seems to hinder any consistent team chemistry. I had very high hopes when he was hired (like Frost), but am starting to have my doubts (like Frost).

Last edited:
I thought it was supposed to be easier to turn it around in basketball. I know I've read that on here. He's got talent, so what's the problem.

Other than Bryce McGowens, there's not a lot of talent on this team, at least compared to the rest of the conference. We still don't have a legitimate Big Ten post player, though he's finally bringing one in next year in Keita, but he needs a couple more. Walker and Breidenbach are forced to play out of position. We don't have a true point guard, Verge is not a point guard. And some of these guys like Tominaga and Mayen are mid-major players at best.

Hopefully Fred is learning that you need more size in the Big Ten, and you need a true point guard, more ball movement and less one-on-one.

I felt about Hoiberg the way most fans felt about Frost. I thought he was a can't miss, too good to be true hire. I am floored that he has struggled so much. And like was mentioned above, it takes alot less time to turn over a BB roster.

6? Nebraska Basketball is more like a 100 year rebuild

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT