ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Hoiberg is done after this season, right?

I don’t dislike Fred Hoiberg, but he has failed in an epic manner here. There were points this season—particularly after Creighton and the first Purdue game—where I had hoped he was finally turning the corner.

Now? We are 3-7 in conference (2nd from last), and he is 34-76 overall. We have been patient, but this is indefensible.

On one final note, with the inexplicable, meritless extensions of Frost and Hoiberg, Bill Moos has to be the most disastrous AD ever for us, right?
Steve Pedersen and Shawn Eichorst may have been worse than Bill Moos.

I don't disagree with a word you say. I'm just saying that with the revenue that Nebraska has they can weather a short term revenue loss because it is just that - short term. Nebraska athletics makes money, period, outside of a global pandemic. Putting a quality basketball team in the business plan would be worth exponentially more revenue than the $11M buyout. But I agree, it comes down to boosters and they likely don't have the stomach for it after the Frost debacle. Whether it's the KC Royals or Nebraska basketball, I just think its good business to win games.

I would really love to see a breakdown of the financials and the projected incremental revenue added by winning 20 games versus 10-12

As in football - the last place conf team gets the same conf payout as the conf champion. I suspect the conf payouts dwarf any additional revenue that winning provides. Big ten athletic programs are insanely wealthy regardless of whether they go undefeated or winless.

We need a new coach but remember we are going to be asking for that 11 million dollars from the same group who just paid Frost’s buyout and is being asked to fund NIL.

Last edited:
Despite the history, NU BB can and should be better than its been. The Danny Nee era, and to a lesser degree, the Miles era, showed the potential and the excitement generated with the fans. Nee had some very talented/competitive teams that unfortunately underperformed consistently in the Big Dance which tarnished what could have been.

Fred's era has been the most disappointing because its the first time in history NU has ever hired a coach with P5 success as well as an NBA bio. Unfortunately, it looks like we got the Dan Hawkins-version of college BB coach.

And Moos just plain didn't work. An absentee A.D. out on his ranch.
Anyone who has to buy in eastern wash (complete desolate wasteland) vs western Montana (Gods country) is not to be trusted

Huge red flag only poors wouldn’t notice

Only if a booster offers a check. Otherwise wait til he has no buyout then hire the cheapest up and coming coach you can.

All money should be directed toward football, not our cursed basketball program.

7 year 25 million contract. .304% winning (percentage). Christmas present - Tickets to the Penn State game in Feb. Looking like I received a lump of coal in my stocking. Well, they serve beer at the games right?

I don't disagree with a word you say. I'm just saying that with the revenue that Nebraska has they can weather a short term revenue loss because it is just that - short term. Nebraska athletics makes money, period, outside of a global pandemic. Putting a quality basketball team in the business plan would be worth exponentially more revenue than the $11M buyout. But I agree, it comes down to boosters and they likely don't have the stomach for it after the Frost debacle. Whether it's the KC Royals or Nebraska basketball, I just think its good business to win games.
The problem of course is the lost revenue caused by an empty PBA. Can NU afford another year of empty seats? Can you make a splashy enough hire to sell season tickets? I have no clue as to what the financial numbers say Trev should do. I like Fred. I like the way he coaches. I’m not excited by the roster he’s recruited. We had a handful of decent but not great players this year. IMO our only hope would be recruiting better players via NIL and I’m not sure a different coach would have better luck at that. You know damned well some coaches are handing out big money to get players.

Reactions: IowaHuskr
I don’t dislike Fred Hoiberg, but he has failed in an epic manner here. There were points this season—particularly after Creighton and the first Purdue game—where I had hoped he was finally turning the corner.

Now? We are 3-7 in conference (2nd from last), and he is 34-76 overall. We have been patient, but this is indefensible.

On one final note, with the inexplicable, meritless extensions of Frost and Hoiberg, Bill Moos has to be the most disastrous AD ever for us, right?
He's got to go. Put together a search committee and get us a guy here that can go 500 in conference.

Reactions: king_kong_
He's got to go. Put together a search committee and get us a guy here that can go 500 in conference.
Before the injuries it was kinda looking like Fred could be the guy that could get us to .500 in the league. Like it or not you have to allow something for the injuries. I think the decision is a lot tougher than some think.

Before the injuries it was kinda looking like Fred could be the guy that could get us to .500 in the league. Like it or not you have to allow something for the injuries. I think the decision is a lot tougher than some think.
we fired a guy who got us over .500 in the league

is this really how far we've fallen? "might be the guy to get us to .500?"

jeez. has there ever been a more pathetic opinion in the history of humanity?

if so, I'd like to see it

Reactions: moralvictories
hell it might be cheaper and more succesfull to go to the boosters and instead of an 11 million dollar ask - request 3 million
pay 3 dudes 1 million each and tell Fred to roll the ball out there and then sit down and shut up

Reactions: dsmalls3
we should just play lacrosse if we're going to bend over and present our buttholes to any and all schools who come calling 2x per week

so many terrible fans in this thread. you guys deserve a loser like dead fred

Last edited:
we should just play lacrosse if we're going to bend over and present our buttholes to any and all schools who come calling 2x per week

You suggest a lot of easy solutions but something tells me you’re not writing a lot of 5-7 figure checks to the Nebraska Foundation.

You suggest a lot of easy solutions but something tells me you’re not writing a lot of 5-7 figure checks to the Nebraska Foundation.
actually just wrapped up the donation

$16,400 this year (tax purposes mostly)

that's more than $500 per win under dead fred

how about you? also LMAO that one must be a donor to have an opinion on the "leader" of the absolute shittiest men's hoops program in the country

Lacrosse? You are dumb. Stop bashing us fans. Just get off this board loser. You aren’t even an analyst. King Kong is a terrible restaurant and dumb movie.

• Love
Reactions: EmormousDouchebag
we fired a guy who got us over .500 in the league

is this really how far we've fallen? "might be the guy to get us to .500?"

jeez. has there ever been a more pathetic opinion in the history of humanity?

if so, I'd like to see it
Yeah miles >>>> hoiberg. Miles is doing a solid job at San Jose state too. They were one of the worst programs in the country for the last 20 years and he has them playing respectable ball

I wish someone would crack the code on NU basketball. It can't be as hard as Nebraska makes it look.

Hoiberg may get another year for one reason or another, but there is no denying his and his team's performances are so far below reasonable expectations...well, fill in the blank. It's embarrassing. NU has had some bad seasons and some bad stretches before; but Hoiberg's tenure is arguably the worst we have ever seen.

Someone the other day mentioned Iowa State and Kansas State. If those schools can produce good basketball teams, there is absolutely no reason that Nebraska can't.

The right coach is the place to start. Fred ain't it.
Exactly right about other schools who don't seem to have any problems turning things around and sustaining success.

Jerome Tang is in year one at K-State and they only returned two players from a very below average team last year, and has them 18-3 and ranked in the top five. He brought legit recruiters with him and focused on jucos and transfers.

I'm so sick of the excuses from this program. If you can do it in places like the sh*thole that is Manhattan, KS, then you can do it anywhere.

I especially resent the fact that Hoiberg is so bad he makes a lot of you wistful for Miles. He was terrible too.
I don’t know about that. He was inconsistent here, but he overall has been effective at every stop.

For us he put together 2 19 win seasons, a 22 win season, and won Big 10 coach of the year.

I think he was and is a good coach. People liked him too.

actually just wrapped up the donation

$16,400 this year (tax purposes mostly)

that's more than $500 per win under dead fred

how about you? also LMAO that one must be a donor to have an opinion on the "leader" of the absolute shittiest men's hoops program in the country
Shoot us a screen shot of the cancelled check. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Bugeater
That was my point exactly. The people that have to resort to that to defend the worst AD in power 5 history are really grasping.
I'm not saying that Bill Moos wasn't a bad AD. He truly was. Shawn Eichorst and Steve Pedersen were bad AD's as well. I would say those three are the worst AD's in the history of the Nebraska athletic department.

Reactions: scarletred
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT