Frank Solich

Discussion in 'Husker Board' started by PlutoDroid, Nov 30, 2019.

1. PlutoDroid

PlutoDroid Walk On
    Expand Collapse

How different would it have been if Osborne had a guy on his staff like a Ryan Day, or Lincoln Riley? I know Frank took his team to a number 1 ranking, Heisman winner, but the beatdowns by Colorado , and Miami seemed to be the fall of whatever momentum he may have had. Was Frank doomed in by his personality, inability to recruit? Or was his option/power run scheme just not up to par? It's far too early to say Day, or Riley are slam dunk hires, but they are both young, seem to have recruiting down, and are looking pretty good with the cars they have been given.

Was anybody doomed that followed Osborne? Is it that much tougher to win at Nebraska, than Oklahoma, or Ohio State?

2. Baxter48

Baxter48 First Team All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

We don’t know how day will work out yet because this Is year 1, Lincoln Riley has a great offense but his defense has be pretty lousy. I venture to say he’ll go to the nfl soon. Remember frank inherited a load of talent and just about won a championship in his second season. My issue with frank was he couldn’t close as a recruiter. People bitch about frosts play calling.people forget about frank and his questionable play calling Imo frank was worse he just had better talent to work with.

3. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

TO could have coached another 10 years. Imagine that.

4. PlutoDroid

PlutoDroid Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Callahan brought recruiting in on his hiring, but some say he was the man that killed the Husker brand of football. My question is if that particular style could ever win in today's game. I think the best option would be to try and do what Baltimore is doing in the NFL right now. Defenses are all built to stop the spread/air raid , that they aren't equipped to handle what they are seeing from a run at all costs attack. It's funny to watch the cyclical nature of the game.

preshlock likes this.
  5. PlutoDroid

PlutoDroid Walk On
    Expand Collapse

He left at the top.

6. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

Yes, sir. Selfishly, I wish he had left at the top after several more years of dominance.

TFrazier likes this.
  7. PlutoDroid

PlutoDroid Walk On
    Expand Collapse

I don't think he had any health concerns. I don't think he had any off the field issues. I know he wasn't being forced out by anybody. My best guess is he felt he had nothing else to do, perhaps he was of the mindset that Frank was the right guy to continue the programs direction. Hard to say how history would have altered had he coached into the 2000s.

8. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

He had promised the job to Frank and TO was a man of his word.

9. PlutoDroid

PlutoDroid Walk On
    Expand Collapse

Was there a timeline on that though? He left Frank an ideal starting point.

10. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

That’s an understatement!

11. HBK4life

HBK4life Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

He was supposed to leave after the 96 season. But Wistrom and Peter coming back for their senior seasons convinced him for one last National title run.

TFrazier, PlutoDroid and Baxter48 like this.
  12. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

We would have had at least two more National titles.

TFrazier and headcard like this.
  13. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

No doubt about it

TFrazier and bigboxes like this.
  14. SkerinDallas

SkerinDallas Redshirt Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I think that and the fact he seemingly wanted to have a political career are the answers. Once he lost the governor race, he came back as AD. I don't think it ever left his blood. It would be pretty interesting to see an alternate reality in which Tom didn't retire as HC for another 5 to 10 years.

15. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Wow you guys don't know much do you?

Notable Frank Solich recruits
    Roger Craig
    Tom Rathman
    Mike Rozier
    Irving Fryar
    Keith Jones
    Doug Dubose
    Jeff Smith
    Ken Clark
    Derek Brown
    Calvin Jones
    Cory Schlesinger
    Lawrence Phillips
    Damon Benning
    Clinton Childs
    Jay Sims
    Ahman Green
    Jeff and Joel Mackovica
    Deangelo Evans

Frank was also the lead recruiter for the likes of Spencer Tillman, Emmit Smith, Barry Sanders and Jamal Lewis.

While he was an assistant under Osborne, he was the top RB coach in the nation. Solich actually was one that while a great position coach, he was one that was never meant to be a HC. When Solich took over, the cupboard wasn't stocked and while there were players still around from Osborne it was pretty bare. When he took the reigns, he became quite a lazy recruiter. Solich was who TO leaned on at times as numerous times he would be talking to Solich up in the booth to see what he thought on different plays and what he thought would work as he had a birdseye view of the Defenses that were being run.

15 Wyldcard, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  16. TFrazier

TFrazier All-American
    Expand Collapse

You are telling us the cupboard was bare in 1998 after Nebraska won the National Championship in 1997? How do you explain going 12-1 in the 1999 season when Nebraska should have played for the championship if not for fumbling the ball at Texas about to score a touchdown?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 TFrazier, Nov 30, 2019
  17. SkerinDallas

Expand Collapse

You might be thinking of Callahan here. The cupboard was absolutely loaded when Solich took over. The only real unknown at the time was who was going to play QB and that played out through the 1998 season.

18. dinglefritz

dinglefritz College Football Hall of Fame
    Expand Collapse

It's not widely known that Tom had a very serious health problem late his last season. He needed to lower his work load dramatically. I'm amazed at how long he's lived after his first heart surgery without having another. His strict adherence to diet and excercise was the key.

headcard likes this.
  19. HBK4life

Expand Collapse

Agreed. Heisman Crouch. Mike and Ralph Brown. Newcombe. The list goes on...99 was a championship team with Mcbride still coaching. Turnovers killed that season.

TFrazier likes this.
  20. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Very wrong on the health concerns.

21. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Those were Osborne's recruits from his last class but outside of that there was nothing behind them

22. SkerinDallas

Expand Collapse

Well, yeah. It was Solich's responsibility to keep recruiting. He didn't. Thus, 4 years later, he struggled mightily. The cupboard was still well stocked when Solich took over.

TFrazier and HBK4life like this.
  23. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That's what I was saying in my original post. Solich became a lazy recruiter and very bad with roster management, thus not HC material.

24. z28craz

z28craz Blackshirt
    Expand Collapse

‘99 for sure.

TFrazier likes this.
  25. SkerinDallas

Expand Collapse

I think you need to re-read your original post. Specifically the portion I bolded in my original response. There is a reason I am not the only person who responded

TFrazier likes this.
  26. Larry Hagman's Liver

Larry Hagman's Liver Defensive Coordinator
    Expand Collapse

Osborne was younger when he retired than Mike Riley was when we hired him.

27. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I did, outside of the starters the cupboard was bare as far as quality depth goes as after the starters there was huge gap in talent between the 1s and everyone else and that is fact

28. SkerinDallas

Expand Collapse

Depth only goes 4 years, man. Osborne is not responsible for what happens after 2001 (other than the fact that he hand-picked Solich). The Huskers don't play in the Rose Bowl in 2002 for the national title if the depth wasn't there when Solich took over.

TFrazier likes this.
  29. Larry Hagman's Liver

Expand Collapse

Unfortunately, TO has a heart condition that weighed heavily in his retirement decision. He had heart surgery in 1985 and wasn't sure if he would continue then.

If he had carried on into his advanced years like Bowden, JoPa or Eddie Robinson, who knows what more he could have accomplished. But thankfully he held on long enough to construct the '90s dynasty.

Heart surgeon praises Osborne's lifestyle

Coronary artery disease and bypass surgery 12 years ago should not have contributed to Coach Tom Osborne's retirement Wednesday, his heart surgeon said.

Deepak Gangahar, Osborne's heart surgeon at Bryan Memorial Hospital, said the head football coach has done well since his surgery."His heart has functioned very well I think," Gangahar said.

He said the condition should not have affected the way Osborne lives from day to day."I don't put any limitations on my patients. The reason they have the surgery is so they can continue to be active and do what they enjoy doing," Gangahar said. "I don't see his heart being a cause for his retirement."

Osborne's condition, known as atrial fibrillation, includes an irregular heartbeat that can vary from 60-180 beats per minute. After the Nov. 15 Iowa State game, Osborne was hospitalized overnight for an irregular heartbeat. At a press conference Wednesday, Osborne said his episode in November wasn't as serious as it was made out to be.

"It's not like I can't do what I've always done," Osborne said. "My condition has been corrected, but it may come back again."Gangahar said in Osborne's case, the atrial fibrillation was most likely caused by high cholesterol and possibly by a family history of heart disease.

Osborne said he may have to get a pacemaker in the future if the condition returns. "If that happens, life goes on," he said. Osborne said he was not a candidate for surgery, but is still concerned about the shape his arteries are in." I am in relatively good shape, and there has been no progression of problems," he said. "I felt it wasn't wise for me to continue to push that hard."

Gangahar also said Osborne has made a major improvement over the years."He has been diligent, conscientious, compulsive about the modification of his lifestyle," Gangahar said. "He has been the epitome of self discipline, and he controls his stress as good as any human being can."

Osborne said after his bypass surgery in 1985 that he thought his career as coach may have been near its end. "At age 48 I didn't think I'd be standing here today," he said. Gangahar said he thought Osborne's diligence concerning his health should be an example for everyone to follow."We should learn from his lifestyle, and from how he conducts himself."

29 Larry Hagman's Liver, Nov 30, 2019
    dinglefritz likes this.
  30. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

In 99 the drop off in talent was already there as far as quality talented depth, there were the highly talented starters which were Osborne's and then everyone else. 2000 we started sucking pretty bad as ALOT of the players that were Osborne recruits were now gone. Kinda funny that McBride retired after the 99 season as that signaled that the team now belonged to Solich

30 Wyldcard, Nov 30, 2019
  31. headcard

headcard Nebraska Legend
    Expand Collapse

I just threw up in my mouth.

32. Larry Hagman's Liver

Expand Collapse

The difference is, back then, FS was only a recruiter/position coach (one of several) and TO was the closer. When Solich became the closer, recruiting took a significant dip.

Not trying to oversimplify it. There were a lot of issues at play, including a few aging assistants who couldn't or wouldn't go out on the road anymore. But if Solich was the crackerjack recruiter you make him out to be, he might still be our coach now.

TFrazier likes this.
  33. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Solich is the one that closed over half of that list himself and that is no BS. Solich was the master of bad roster management. No he wouldn't

34. dinglefritz

Expand Collapse

Tom's the master of understatement. His condition was more serious than he or the article let on.

35. Larry Hagman's Liver

Expand Collapse

I don't believe that to be true but we'll have to agree to disagree since there's no way to prove/settle who actually "closed" the recruits you listed. So I'll propose this hypothetical instead:

For argument's sake, let's assume that Solich was an exceptional recruiter and closer. If that's true, what's the explanation for diminished recruiting returns from '98-'03?

TFrazier and dinglefritz like this.
  36. Wyldcard

Wyldcard All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

He became very lazy

37. DPDWU

DPDWU Sophomore
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yep we pry win at least another natty. I don’t think TO was ever wild about the big 12 however

headcard likes this.
  38. Shockleydawg

Shockleydawg Newbie
    Expand Collapse

Quality running backs vanished after Scott Frost and his super 5-star teammate Ahman Green.

That was Eric Crouch's biggest challenge...shouldering the load for pedestrian tailbacks WHICH HE DID amazingly! Kudos to Eric and Co.!

But Dr Tom Osborne enjoyed tailbacks Jarvis Redwine, Roger Craig, Mike Rozier, Doug Dubose, Ken Clark, Keith Jones, Derek Brown, Leodis Flowers, Paul Miles, Calvin Jones, and the guy (Ahman Green) I just mentioned.

Coach Solich could not get that standout LaDainian Tomlinson tailback, while Osborne always had a stable of hauses.

Big Dan Alexander should have been moved to TE or DE. He was just too big.

I liked Coach Solich (fiery motivator assistant coach for Osborne), but I prefer Coach Osborne at the helm.

Just my take

38 Shockleydawg, Nov 30, 2019
  39. bleed husker red

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Frank's decline coincided with a downward swing in talent in the Nebraska high school ranks, yet Frank and company kept bringing in those kids on scholarship. Mist didn't pan out. Walkons were starting to go to other programs like KSt, sdsu, ndsu, Wyoming, etc.

I think talent in the state is at a pretty high level right now, and we are securing most of the scholarship guys, and landing some solid walkons.

40. Larry Hagman's Liver

Expand Collapse

If that's true, Frank definitely wasn't the right guy for the job.