ADVERTISEMENT

Francois gone?

Has it really though??? Nebraska wasn't even tops in the conference last year (2019) with kids in the portal... Nebraska was middle of the pack with 12... PSU led the way with 22 players in their portal followed by Michigan with 18... Michigans portal included 10 (TEN ) 4-star players...

Nebraska's portal numbers look high this year with 21... However, 7 of them are walk-ons and 3 were dismissed for disciplinary reasons...
While I don't know the particulars of each of the other teams transfers, I think it's important to make sure we keep the walk on numbers in perspective as they make up something like 27 percent of our numbers... Thats about a 3rd of the kids leaving

Here are numbers from each conference members last 2 portals...

Penn state 22-14 =36
Maryland 15-20 =35
Nebraska 12-21 =33
Rutgers 13-18 =31
Michigan 18-12 =30
Illinois 14-7 =21
Indiana 12-8 =20
Iowa 9-10 =19
Purdue 9-10 =19
Minnesota 8-11 =19
OSU 9-4 -13
Wisky 5-5 =10
MSU 2-8 10
NW 2*3 =5
It doesn't really seem to matter with this staff. No guarantees on playing time and if somebody leaves they find a talented replacement pretty quickly. We're getting to the point IMO with our DB room that somebody leaving doesn't look to be as big of a deal as it used to be just even last year. Francois may have looked at the young guys he was competing against and decided he was going to get to play as much as he though for a while. Head to FIU and he's probably a starter of top backup on day one.

Reactions: Husker1078
Has it really though??? Nebraska wasn't even tops in the conference last year (2019) with kids in the portal... Nebraska was middle of the pack with 12... PSU led the way with 22 players in their portal followed by Michigan with 18... Michigans portal included 10 (TEN ) 4-star players...

Nebraska's portal numbers look high this year with 21... However, 7 of them are walk-ons and 3 were dismissed for disciplinary reasons...
While I don't know the particulars of each of the other teams transfers, I think it's important to make sure we keep the walk on numbers in perspective as they make up something like 27 percent of our numbers... Thats about a 3rd of the kids leaving

Penn state 22-14 =36
Maryland 15-20 =35
Nebraska 12-21 =33
Rutgers 13-18 =31
Michigan 18-12 =30
Illinois 14-7 =21
Indiana 12-8 =20
Iowa 9-10 =19
Purdue 9-10 =19
Minnesota 8-11 =19
OSU 9-4 -13
Wisky 5-5 =10
MSU 2-8 10
NW 2*3 =5

Well, every team in the Big 10 has a walk-on program. In fact, Ohio State's walk-ons make up a third of their team. 13 of Penn State's 35 (not 36) transfers were walk-ons.

Nevertheless, I don't see this as a coaching staff problem. I see it as the same reason Maryland and Rutgers are high on the list-- who wants to be a back up on a losing team? There's only one way to solve this.

It doesn't really seem to matter with this staff. No guarantees on playing time and if somebody leaves they find a talented replacement pretty quickly. We're getting to the point IMO with our DB room that somebody leaving doesn't look to be as big of a deal as it used to be just even last year. Francois may have looked at the young guys he was competing against and decided he was going to get to play as much as he though for a while. Head to FIU and he's probably a starter of top backup on day one.
Bless your heart, Dinglefritz. I haven't logged on to this board for months and here you are, still posting level headed ideas to this bunch of complainers who don't know the pointy end of a football from the seams.

Reactions: nwualum
Bless your heart, Dinglefritz. I haven't logged on to this board for months and here you are, still posting level headed ideas to this bunch of complainers who don't know the pointy end of a football from the seams.

well he isn’t wrong. Our DBs are pretty loaded and most of the players that we have on the team have the potential to be something special and at the worst case scenario, they have one of the best DB coaches in the country teaching and training them in Travis Fisher to develop them up. Like he said, we lost Jaiden Francois but then quickly after we pulled in a former Top 100 CB/Safety N Joseph to replace him with.

Last edited:

Penn state 22-14 =36
Maryland 15-20 =35
Nebraska 12-21 =33
Rutgers 13-18 =31
Michigan 18-12 =30
Illinois 14-7 =21
Indiana 12-8 =20
Iowa 9-10 =19
Purdue 9-10 =19
Minnesota 8-11 =19
OSU 9-4 -13
Wisky 5-5 =10
MSU 2-8 10
NW 2*3 =5
This is excellent work to put perspective to the numbers. Great post!

Penn state 22-14 =36
Maryland 15-20 =35
Nebraska 12-21 =33
Rutgers 13-18 =31
Michigan 18-12 =30
Illinois 14-7 =21
Indiana 12-8 =20
Iowa 9-10 =19
Purdue 9-10 =19
Minnesota 8-11 =19
OSU 9-4 -13
Wisky 5-5 =10
MSU 2-8 10
NW 2*3 =5
those are some good stats thanks for posting... just wondering have you broke it down any further? I seen you mentioned the amount of walk one but how about 5/4/3 star recruits? I’m sure it only seems like we are the ones losing kids that could have helped because well we all follow the huskers, but I’d be interested in the break down of other colleges and how many big contributors/ projected starters bounced...

That’s a terrible edit, does he know where he’s going?
The guy attended CC in Kansas the last two years so he's not new to the area, but, regarding the edit, he's from Miami (hence the background) and going to Nebraska (hence the N-themed Lambo and jersey in the foreground).

those are some good stats thanks for posting... just wondering have you broke it down any further? I seen you mentioned the amount of walk one but how about 5/4/3 star recruits? I’m sure it only seems like we are the ones losing kids that could have helped because well we all follow the huskers, but I’d be interested in the break down of other colleges and how many big contributors/ projected starters bounced...

I don't have a ton of data but I've gone through most of the conference portals for the last two years. When looking at the teams with numbers similar to ours this is what I find...

Nebraska has had 10 3 stars and 12 4 stars between Rivals and TOS
Maryland has had 16 3 stars and 7 4 stars per TOS.
Michigan has had 11 3 stars, 13 4 stars, and a 5 star per TOS.
Penn State has had 14 3 stars, 12 4 stars, and 2 5 stars per TOS.

Nebraska has lost quite a few players from the 2018 transition class... Here's a look at Jimbo Fishers aTm 2018 transition class...

Jordan Moore **** transfer
Tank Jenkins **** (abuses women allegedly)
Max Wright **** transfer
Jashaun Corbin **** transfer
Vernon Jackson **** retired
Montel Parker*** transfer
Tyree Wilson *** transfer
Charles Strong *** transfer
Brian Johnson *** transfer
Mohamad Diallo *** transfer
Deneric Prince *** transfer

Nebraska has lost a total of 3 recruits from the 2019/2020 class combined... Marland has lost several from their 2019 class and Michigan has lost 1 maybe 2 from their 2020....

Last edited:
Reactions: Clemke32
It is interesting to see how Frost and staff perform

you mean the same staff that turned UCF into the team the are and have been the last several years? UCF will never be as good as they were during Scott Frosts final season as a UCF Head Coach. It is down hill from here on out I’m afraid UCF fans. I’m more then sure Frost and the staff will be fine with the Huskers ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: footnfan1
You may be right, time will tell. Heup has recruited at an even higher level that Coach Frost, especially recently, including transfers. But like most everything, more time is needed. Stay healthy.

Going to be a very weird Fall, expect many Big 10 teaks to lose key players to transfer, now that the Big 10 will likely cancel football.

And Nebraska has yet to release him from his NLI, and as a result, he may lose two years of eligibility. A shameful outcome.

Replying to
@UCFSports
Francois, a top recruit from Miami (South Dade), signed last December and enrolled early at Nebraska but decided he needed to return to his home state given the global pandemic. Yet Nebraska wouldn't release him. That's not a good look. Here's the kicker:

Replying to
@UCFSports
You might think, no big deal? Everybody is getting an extra year of eligibility from the NCAA due to COVID? Not necessarily. The rule allows a free year to players who are otherwise eligible. Because Nebraska won't release him, Francois is not eligible and can't benefit.

Hopefully Nebraska does the right thing. Can't imagine that would be a good look in recruiting considering they've made Florida and particularly Miami a focus. They've prevented Jaiden Francois from not only playing this year, but also might cost him another year of eligibility.

• Wow
Reactions: NikkiSixx
And Nebraska has yet to release him from his NLI, and as a result, he may lose two years of eligibility. A shameful outcome.

Replying to
@UCFSports
Francois, a top recruit from Miami (South Dade), signed last December and enrolled early at Nebraska but decided he needed to return to his home state given the global pandemic. Yet Nebraska wouldn't release him. That's not a good look. Here's the kicker:

Replying to
@UCFSports
You might think, no big deal? Everybody is getting an extra year of eligibility from the NCAA due to COVID? Not necessarily. The rule allows a free year to players who are otherwise eligible. Because Nebraska won't release him, Francois is not eligible and can't benefit.

Hopefully Nebraska does the right thing. Can't imagine that would be a good look in recruiting considering they've made Florida and particularly Miami a focus. They've prevented Jaiden Francois from not only playing this year, but also might cost him another year of eligibility.

Um everyone is automatically eligible now. It's not like when UCF refused to release Vedral.

Replying to
@UCFSports

Replying to
@UCFSports

Gotta think we do the right thing. Frost doesn’t operate like this. I’m sure this is an administrative issue that perhaps got lost in the shuffle.

you mean the same staff that turned UCF into the team the are and have been the last several years? UCF will never be as good as they were during Scott Frosts final season as a UCF Head Coach. It is down hill from here on out I’m afraid UCF fans. I’m more then sure Frost and the staff will be fine with the Huskers ;)
They won 12 games two seasons prior to Frost's staff taking over.

Reactions: ridge22

Replying to
@UCFSports

Replying to
@UCFSports

Yeah, this is not how it works anymore.

Reactions: headcard
Not true, unless released, he cannot benefit from the one year free ride.

No one is ever "not released" again, ever.

This is the wokest environment ever in college sports. Hell for CBB they literally just said "We are not going to review cases, everyone is eligible"

Reactions: Husker_AMG63

Replying to
@UCFSports

Replying to
@UCFSports

Thats pretty petty from Frost and Nebraska admin.

curious to see why the delay/refusal to release. Doubtful the full reason will be given but everyone will fill in the blanks as they want anyway even if the real reason is videotaped, with affidavit and signed off on by all parties involved, someone will “know the reason reason”.
Hope the young man gets released and has a great career there and ends up with a great degree to prepare him for life.

He needs to pick his spots and I don't think Miami is one of them.
Miami definitely isnt. Miami is a glamorous city with beatiful women, insane amounts of wealth, cars, high rises and perfect weather. Kids arent gonna take Lincoln and a sub .500 team over that. He'd be much better off recruiting Dallas Austin and Houston metros. Those places are way more like Lincoln culturally and at least for part of the year weather wise.

Miami definitely isnt. Miami is a glamorous city with beatiful women, insane amounts of wealth, cars, high rises and perfect weather. Kids arent gonna take Lincoln and a sub .500 team over that. He'd be much better off recruiting Dallas Austin and Houston metros. Those places are way more like Lincoln culturally and at least for part of the year weather wise.
But those kids did choose Lincoln. Did they not know what they were getting themselves into?

But those kids did choose Lincoln. Did they not know what they were getting themselves into?
18 year olds in general dont have great track records for making important life decisions. I transferred colleges twice and changed majors so I can personally attest to not being a great decision maker at that age.

Per Journal Star.

Nebraska has lost another Class of 2020 defensive back.

Freshman Jaiden Francois has entered his name into the NCAA's transfer portal, the Journal Star confirmed Friday.

Francois is the second four defensive back signees from Florida to leave the NU program before ever playing a snap.

A mid-year enrollee, Francois originally signed with the Huskers over Miami and several other national suitors in December.

This story will be updated.

Contact the writer at pgabriel@journalstar.com or 402-473-7439. On Twitter @HuskerExtraPG.

View Comments
What alarms me is that we are losing DB’s , is this a coach problem? Were theses kids promised playing time or at the least told they were good enough to play right away? Are there to many kids at this positional already ? Are all of them recognizing they are not good enough , that in itself would seem odd?

This is becoming a serious problem now and needs to be addressed, quickly.

To quote another poster:

1. Vedral was enrolled at UCF and played
2. Francois never even took a class at Nebraska
3. Vedral was being recruited by a coach raiding his former team's roster (also tried to get Trysten Hill as well)
4. Francois was transferring home during a global pandemic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT