ADVERTISEMENT

Francois gone?

TripleOption67

Walk On
Dec 5, 2017
Per Journal Star.

Nebraska has lost another Class of 2020 defensive back.

Freshman Jaiden Francois has entered his name into the NCAA's transfer portal, the Journal Star confirmed Friday.

Francois is the second four defensive back signees from Florida to leave the NU program before ever playing a snap.

A mid-year enrollee, Francois originally signed with the Huskers over Miami and several other national suitors in December.

This story will be updated.

Contact the writer at pgabriel@journalstar.com or 402-473-7439. On Twitter @HuskerExtraPG.

View Comments

So now we have Ronald Delancy from Miami and Tamon Lynum from Orlando lift as the only 2 defensive backs in the 2020 class..
While I understand what you're getting at with a post like this, how would you explain the loss-rate of incoming freshman that we've experienced? I don't know the actual numbers, but it certainly seems like we're seeing a higher number of departures now than before.

I don't know the reason, nor am I blaming Frost or the coaches, but what is the eventual trigger here?

Ouch we can't keep 4* players for anything.

Obviously just my own bias but I feel like for 20 years we've had less than stellar luck with higher rated players.

Granted, every school has its share of busts, but we continue to rely on surprise walk-ons and three stars to make a bunch of impact even when we pull in a good number of higher rated guys. It seems like alot of the higher guys, even if they stick around, never fully blossom into the player we need them to be.

Suh the obvious exception. You can go back to like Cortney Grixby and David Horne. Marlon Lucky was a big get had a good career but not quite what we all expected him to be when he shunned USC. And you can just go down the line of stars that never made it or underwhelmed.

While I understand what you're getting at with a post like this, how would you explain the loss-rate of incoming freshman that we've experienced? I don't know the actual numbers, but it certainly seems like we're seeing a higher number of departures now than before.

I don't know the reason, nor am I blaming Frost or the coaches, but what is the eventual trigger here?

Only thing I can think of is Covid virus is scaring these kids from traveling away from home despite a lower mortality rate here in the good life of Nebraska...

Reactions: OzzyLvr and Catch50
Only thing I can think of is Covid virus is scaring these kids from traveling away from home despite a lower mortality rate here in the good life of Nebraska...

No idea if corona has anything to do with this situation....but the "my family needs me" thing is going to be stronger than usual in the near-mid term.

Per Journal Star.

Nebraska has lost another Class of 2020 defensive back.

Freshman Jaiden Francois has entered his name into the NCAA's transfer portal, the Journal Star confirmed Friday.

Francois is the second four defensive back signees from Florida to leave the NU program before ever playing a snap.

A mid-year enrollee, Francois originally signed with the Huskers over Miami and several other national suitors in December.

This story will be updated.

Contact the writer at pgabriel@journalstar.com or 402-473-7439. On Twitter @HuskerExtraPG.

View Comments

Does this mean we're landing that 4* Prep DB this week?

So now we have Ronald Delancy from Miami and Tamon Lynum from Orlando lift as the only 2 defensive backs in the 2020 class..
there are a lot of young DBs in the program. it is one of the youngest rosters in the country. a lot of these kids would be sitting for quite a while because of the youth ahead of them

too bad.. awaiting enlightened posts about how poorly this reflects on Coach Frost
I would love to hear how it reflects well on him. Is he not the head coach of the staff that identified, recruited, signed, and coached this kid over the course of the last year or so?

Is it not particularly weird to lose two highly-touted kids out of an incredibly thin secondary without either of them having even been through a fall camp when they had a fantastic shot at playing early?

People love to slap the "prima donna" label on these kids and laugh them off the stage when they quit the team. Well guess what? It's part of the staff's job to identify that and stay away from kids who can't hack it in big boy football.

Either that or find a way to keep them happy enough to keep intercepting footballs. Those are the choices.

You wanna "Nebraska way" it up and chant "iron sharpens iron" then you can't recruit aluminum just because it was shiny and then say the kid wasn't tough enough when he quits.

Scott is gonna find out just like Bill, Bo, and Mike did that when it gets to be about year 4 or 5 we don't wanna hear it any more about not having enough talent around, it's hard to recruit at NU. We've seen what getting a ~25th ranked class and then shipping off the cream of that so-so crop will get you in the W column.

They better figure something out in terms of either keeping these kids or replacing them. They're out there playing with one arm tied behind their back and now we're going to pretend like we don't care if we start losing fingers off the free arm.

It's part of the staff's job to identify that and stay away from kids who can't hack it in big boy football.

We don't know if he can hack it in big boy football. He still may. Just not here. For all we know kid will end up with more Rings "there" than he would have "here".

Yeah. This sucks mostly for the visuals, I'm not concerned with the actual room. Fisher was just on the radio talking about the huge amount of depth and the way that guys are coming along, and he never even bothered to talk about Francois because he would have been a red shirt.

It just means we need to recruit hard as hell, period.

We don't know if he can hack it in big boy football. He still may. Just not here. For all we know kid will end up with more Rings "there" than he would have "here".
No, we don't. But that's the line that the homers always use when NU runs off some 4* kid who magically goes on to be a starter and do well at his next school, "Ahhh he wudn't tuff enuff to wear the N. Good riddance!"

Obviously just my own bias but I feel like for 20 years we've had less than stellar luck with higher rated players.

Granted, every school has its share of busts, but we continue to rely on surprise walk-ons and three stars to make a bunch of impact even when we pull in a good number of higher rated guys. It seems like alot of the higher guys, even if they stick around, never fully blossom into the player we need them to be.

Suh the obvious exception. You can go back to like Cortney Grixby and David Horne. Marlon Lucky was a big get had a good career but not quite what we all expected him to be when he shunned USC. And you can just go down the line of stars that never made it or underwhelmed.

Who recruited Grixby and Horne?

It seems like Callahan's classes were the best talent we had.

Still two better than the Elijah Blades year. Seriously if they quit on us this early it's best they are gone IMO

Reactions: HominidHusker

Oh the math bears that out. Nebraska has been absolutely gut-shot in terms of its roster for the better part of the last decade. It would surprise me if there are P5 schools that have lost a greater percentage off the top of their recruiting classes over the last 5-10 years.

Man that's been forever. Solich era, I wouldn't remember. Both in-state kids which at that time it was more or less assumed they would come here.

BC is the source of never ending drama. He was here a relatively short time, but might win the award for talent that never made it to campus, or left early like this kid.

Yes he had Lemming's #1 class, but Lemming also caveated it with the fact that we were transition from option to Corn Coast Offense, so there was a big helping of "system fit" applied to that.

Those were Solich era guys. Horne was supposed to be the next great Omaha I-Back and he showed some promise as an underclassman and then flamed out. Take the story and change the name and you get the kid from Bel West.

there are a lot of young DBs in the program. it is one of the youngest rosters in the country. a lot of these kids would be sitting for quite a while because of the youth ahead of them

I’m not disputing this one bit and yes we have a very talented and young secondary room..

Scott is gonna find out just like Bill, Bo, and Mike did that when it gets to be about year 4 or 5 we don't wanna hear it any more about not having enough talent around, it's hard to recruit at NU. We've seen what getting a ~25th ranked class and then shipping off the cream of that so-so crop will get you in the W column.

You know when Bo was here, we had the whole "we made it to 9 games" thing. And we had some "hope springs eternal" moments where we thought we were reasonably close to turning a corner. There was a school of thought for a while there that if he could ever dump the "half a QB" T-Magic and get onto the Armstrong era, we'd be good because we'd at least have a reasonable passing threat. (Not all that unsimilar to arguments against the Solich offense years before).

But to get to TA and give the dude a chance to develop, you had to be a ways into the Pelini era to render reasonable judgment. Arguably if Pelini was not a douche, he might still be here, or at the very least lasted another couple seasons until his recruiting finally collapsed the 9 wins thing. 10 years isn't a bad train to be on for most coaches.

Scott's going to get every bit of that leash. Sure he'll be on a hot seat at times, but with what he's done and a reasonable schedule, he should be successful by then in attaining Pelini's win count of 9 per year. While we've had sort of a youth movement and some defections, I've never been as truly frightened of roster holes under Frost as I was under Pelini where it was very obvious we either could not get or would only get a last minute patch, an "Option D" if you will.

Again my bias, I think if Scott clears 8 games within the first 5 years, he's going to be here a good long time. He gets a little momentum going and he'll get the benefit of some of those "hope springs eternal" moments that Pelini had, and we could be looking at 10 years plus of giving Scott a chance to go from that 9 win range to the big dance.

Edit: It goes without saying he's the last of the TO tree. There's a mental hurdle there too.

No, we don't. But that's the line that the homers always use when NU runs off some 4* kid who magically goes on to be a starter and do well at his next school, "Ahhh he wudn't tuff enuff to wear the N. Good riddance!"
frost has signed several "interesting" recruits since he's been the coach if you look at the recruit's recruiting story. some of these kids that left were committed somewhere else or rumored to heavy leans to home town schools then all of a sudden decommitted and later picked nebraska. although this happens on occasion i think sometimes there is a warning sign and Frost wants to take the risk. he has some recruits who nebraska was not the first choice but a fall back choice after something happened. fans dont want to see anything except the 4 star ranking. my opinion is Frost is taking some risks other coaches are not. and when you do that some of them will work out and others will not.

Reactions: jflores
I still strongly believe that if Callahan would have hired a proven DC he would still be here as our HC (assuming he didn't choose to leave). And we would have been a serious factor on the national landscape the entire time.

We hate BC and Pelini.

together they'd still be here. We'd have ring(s).

I'm not disagreeing with you, but these circumstances are totally different. When we sign kids from Florida, Cali, wherever... a long ways away.... the best chance we have is to get them signed, get them on campus, and get them busy with football, school and the social scene. Francois had too much time to think about it and it killed us. It's bad and I'm not going to minimize it but I also don't see killing Frost over it when the times are unusual at best.

Reactions: scarletred
Relying so heavily on Florida recruits is questionable in my opinion. Just like Riley relying as much as he did on California recruits. I think that the differences in culture and environment make it harder to keep them compared to recruits from other areas. But time will tell I guess.

Reactions: tarheelhusker
You know when Bo was here, we had the whole "we made it to 9 games" thing. And we had some "hope springs eternal" moments where we thought we were reasonably close to turning a corner. There was a school of thought for a while there that if he could ever dump the "half a QB" T-Magic and get onto the Armstrong era, we'd be good because we'd at least have a reasonable passing threat. (Not all that unsimilar to arguments against the Solich offense years before).

But to get to TA and give the dude a chance to develop, you had to be a ways into the Pelini era to render reasonable judgment. Arguably if Pelini was not a douche, he might still be here, or at the very least lasted another couple seasons until his recruiting finally collapsed the 9 wins thing. 10 years isn't a bad train to be on for most coaches.

Scott's going to get every bit of that leash. Sure he'll be on a hot seat at times, but with what he's done and a reasonable schedule, he should be successful by then in attaining Pelini's win count of 9 per year. While we've had sort of a youth movement and some defections, I've never been as truly frightened of roster holes under Frost as I was under Pelini where it was very obvious we either could not get or would only get a last minute patch, an "Option D" if you will.

Again my bias, I think if Scott clears 8 games within the first 5 years, he's going to be here a good long time. He gets a little momentum going and he'll get the benefit of some of those "hope springs eternal" moments that Pelini had, and we could be looking at 10 years plus of giving Scott a chance to go from that 9 win range to the big dance.

Edit: It goes without saying he's the last of the TO tree. There's a mental hurdle there too.

I can honestly say that I had more hope when Cally was here than Pelini, even with his "9 games". Bo was the very definition of mediocrity

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT