ADVERTISEMENT

Fox sports.....

Redgator

Walk On
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2001
Maybe some of you don't realize that if you have Dish you may not see a Husker game live for a long time if this little squabble between Fox and Dish is not settled soon for games broadcast on Fox. Just coincidence that Fox pulled this during football season knowing that it would affect a lot of football viewers?
Dish and AMC did this a few years ago and it lasted quite a while if I remember correctly.

Reactions: vs540husker
Maybe some of you don't realize that if you have Dish you may not see a Husker game live for a long time if this little squabble between Fox and Dish is not settled soon for games broadcast on Fox. Just coincidence that Fox pulled this during football season knowing that it would affect a lot of football viewers?
Dish and AMC did this a few years ago and it lasted quite a while if I remember correctly.
BTN gone as well

Reactions: vs540husker
Dish has these freaking contract disputes quite often. As good as their hardware/software is vs DirecTV, their channel lineup and disputes are dog crap. Ultimately I'll probably switch to youtube tv or hulu Live. I'll do a trial of one every week for games if it comes to it.

Dish has these freaking contract disputes quite often. As good as their hardware/software is vs DirecTV, their channel lineup and disputes are dog crap. Ultimately I'll probably switch to youtube tv or hulu Live. I'll do a trial of one every week for games if it comes to it.

No argument here, and although every cable provider seems to have channel disputes from time to time, Dish seems to have more than their share. I agree on the technology, I love my 722 DVR, but I'm currently on my 4th one and when this one craps out, I'm going streaming.

AT&T had a long one this last Summer with NBC and Fox... I was just about to switch to COX and they ended the holdout and I got those channels a week before football season. Very annoying.

I have Dish and the only reason I have not cut the cord is because of BTN....if this is long term I will drop them

Isn't foxes fault. I missed most of the last Olympics because of Dish's dispute with NBC

Switched from Dish to Youtube TV right before the Super Bowl and have been really happy with it. Can't really speak for the other services, but the user interface for Youtube TV is nice and they have pretty much all the sports channels I wanted.

Edit Note: They don't have the NFL network, but that didn't bother me. For me they had the Golf Channel and MLB Network. That is what sealed the deal for me.

Reactions: Tahoe78
AT&T had a long one this last Summer with NBC and Fox... I was just about to switch to COX and they ended the holdout and I got those channels a week before football season. Very annoying.

AT&T removed the NFL Network from its channel lineup. They claim to be renegotiating towards reinstatement, but I've heard that for months now.

I had Dish for 12 years, and was generally happy with them. But they always take a hard line in negotiations, and outages are a result. It never seems like their tactics ever work, either. A network like ESPN or AMC knows what they are worth, have negotiated it with cable providers, so how much variation is there? Meanwhile, the prices doubled in the time I had Dish, to the point where it just wasn't worth it anymore. For the $120/month I was paying, we could literally buy seasons of every show we watched and own them for life.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
I had Dish for 12 years, and was generally happy with them. But they always take a hard line in negotiations, and outages are a result. It never seems like their tactics ever work, either. A network like ESPN or AMC knows what they are worth, have negotiated it with cable providers, so how much variation is there? Meanwhile, the prices doubled in the time I had Dish, to the point where it just wasn't worth it anymore. For the $120/month I was paying, we could literally buy seasons of every show we watched and own them for life.
But that's the dilemma these carriers are facing. If they give the customers what they say they want, the price of the whole package goes up and the customer walks.

And sure they could drop a bunch of those crappy channels that nobody watches, but those aren't the channels driving up prices.

Just got rid of Sling in favor of PS Vue.
The Fox channels being dropped was the last straw for me.

I lost PAC 12 network (which isn't a loss) from Sling
But gained BTN, Fox Sports, CBS Sports, +all local channels, from Vue

Only have to pay $5 more a month which is more than worth it to basically see all Husker games.

I have direct tv and have been with out local CBS KMEG out of SIoux City since spring. This shit is starting to get old.

It appears that you blame this on FOX, but said that it happened between dish and AMC a few years back... I have DISH and am looking for options... Could you expand why you said "Fox pulled this"?

Switched from Dish to Youtube TV right before the Super Bowl and have been really happy with it. Can't really speak for the other services, but the user interface for Youtube TV is nice and they have pretty much all the sports channels I wanted.

Edit Note: They don't have the NFL network, but that didn't bother me. For me they had the Golf Channel and MLB Network. That is what sealed the deal for me.
For the none tech savy that has Dish how do you make this switch?? No smart ### responses PLEASE..

For the none tech savy that has Dish how do you make this switch?? No smart ### responses PLEASE..
I haven’t used YouTube live but I’ve used PSVue and I’m sure it is similar. You’ll need either a smart tv or a streaming device like a Roku. You signup for the service on their website, search for the app on your smart tv or streaming device and download it. After that you just sign in to the app and it works a lot like regular television with a guide and everything.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and Tahoe78

I had a couple Smart TV and a couple smaller one's that were not Smart. I got some Roku Sticks for the ones that need them and started streaming.

A couple of things to think about when you switch to streaming:
WiFi strength and location, I had to get an extender to make sure my garage had a good signal.
WiFi Router make sure you have or get something that can put out a good signal, Netgear Nighthawk or something like that.
Internet Speed - most places now are a minimum 100 mbs which is plenty to stream, but remember once it is hooked up to a router it usually loses some bandwidth.

Most all streaming companies give you some type of free trial so I would take advantages of those while you still have Dish so you can see which one works for you. Once you have figured that out it is time to rip the band-aid off and cancel Dish.

Took me a while to pull the trigger, but in reality it is a pretty simple switch.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
My issues with with moving away from dish are as follows

1. 5 adults in the house. Making a decision affects 4 other people who have 100's of hours of tv recorded and may like the simplicity of Dish.

2. I work IT, so no issues switching for me, but the 4 other people I'm going to have to teach them how to use a streaming service. (no unfortunately some of them couldn't learn themselves)

3. I'll have to get at least 1, maybe 2 streaming sticks. (not really an issue) as the cost savings will make up for it.

4. I feel like I have to make some sort of sacrifice eg youtube tv only 3 live streams, no NFL network. Maybe I need to look more into Hulu, but I feel like it had some drawbacks, maybe UI, or DVR space, can't remember.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Dish, DTV and cable, whether it is Cox,Spectrum or whoever all suck. As soon as the new TV is bought there will be none of them as we have had them all at one time or another.

Also switched cell phone providers when AT&T got too flippin’ expensive. Called them and asked for a rate reductions on 3 phones. Got a reduction of $15 off our bill for TV and Internet. So after 22+ years with AT&T back to when they were SWBell, we switched to T-Mobile and pay $120 month less.

This is a funny thread. In 2 years, all of those that cut the cord because of costs will be paying about the same as they were before they cut the cord. The networks are going to figure out a way to get paid. So pay 15 networks $10 a month or pay the cable company $150 per month, the networks won't care.

Not sure why its funny, but I dont disagree with you. We started with Hulu a few years back and its gone up 10 a month since then. Not a big amount, but they'll do the same thing the cable and dish companies have done. We dropped Hulu since and the Mrs pays 5 bucks a month for her soap replays and Pluto has filled in the rest for her. I tried out one of those super unlawful IPTV(TPK) sellers and 2 months in, a bust in the UK brought most of them down. When the dust settles and they return(and they will return)will I go back? For 8 bucks a month? I might.

There is a reason the major internet providers (most of which are TV content providers) have monthly download limits. Just wait until 4K becomes more common. And, then 8K.... Internet providers, aka AT&T, Cox, Comcast, etc are going to continue to control the content market. If you want to continue streaming with Youtube, Yuku, Amazon, whatever. You'll need increasingly higher download speeds and data caps. You thought your 50 dollar a month internet and 150 dollar a month TV plan was a lot? Just wait until internet is 150 a month and then you have all those streaming plans to pay for.

This is a funny thread. In 2 years, all of those that cut the cord because of costs will be paying about the same as they were before they cut the cord. The networks are going to figure out a way to get paid. So pay 15 networks $10 a month or pay the cable company $150 per month, the networks won't care.
People aren’t dumb, they know it will try to move back. Saving money for multiple years is also not a dumb thing to do. I don’t know that your point has any weight.

Haven't had cable in 14 years. I get all the programs I watch off of Netflix. I also have Amazon prime and Vudu if I want to look for a program or movie that Netflix won't provide free.

I can access Netflix from my sister in law and I just go to sportsurge for Husker games.

Other than that I'm addicted that vortex that is also known as YouTube.

I just pay 45 bucks for the internet access. Get to watch Nebraska play, and I never care about which cable company is screwing me. I wear the pants.:Cool:

Reactions: EATAFAT1
Yep, when you start adding everything up for "comparable service", it costs about the same, sometimes more.

The people saving money are the ones who only was a few specific channels and can find a streaming service with those. But for the bigger networks (sports specifically), getting them all from one service is expensive by design.

If youtubeTV ever gets NFL network & red zone I would use them. It’s the smoothest streaming service I have used. I use ps vue for the channel selection but this year it has been freezing up a lot. I have over a 100mbps speed and using a wired connection not wireless.

I can’t imagine trying to stream 4K content. I’m sure the networks would love you chewing through your data cap in a day though if you tried to do it in 4K.

Yep, when you start adding everything up for "comparable service", it costs about the same, sometimes more.

The people saving money are the ones who only was a few specific channels and can find a streaming service with those. But for the bigger networks (sports specifically), getting them all from one service is expensive by design.
The people who are really saving money are those who share passwords. Meanwhile Comcast and other carriers make people use a cable box to get even the simplest package of channels, because they want to "prevent cable theft."

Because, you know, that's still how people share cable in 2019 - they climb up a pole with wire cutters and a splitter.

Reactions: saluno22
The people who are really saving money are those who share passwords. Meanwhile Comcast and other carriers make people use a cable box to get even the simplest package of channels, because they want to "prevent cable theft."

Because, you know, that's still how people share cable in 2019 - they climb up a pole with wire cutters and a splitter.
Very true, hadn't even thought of that when I posted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT