ADVERTISEMENT

Fox Sorts Radio

I was listening to Mike Harmon/Lavar Arrington today. They were talking about the people responsible for Nebraska’s schedule should be fired for trying to punish NU.
There does seem to be a strong element of vindictiveness in our schedule. It really does seem designed to "teach us a lesson" about mouthing off. I think it also shows that there is a level of animosity toward us that goes beyond the recent issues of canceling the season. I think many B1G folks view us as a bad fit for the conference since we are a faded brand whose glory is long gone, at a school in the middle of nowhere, with very mediocre academics. Sad to say but I think they view us as the West Virginia of the prairie who has no business in the league. This was clearly what both Wilbon and Howard were really saying and why they came down hard on us but not on OSU for saying the same things.

There does seem to be a strong element of vindictiveness in our schedule. It really does seem designed to "teach us a lesson" about mouthing off. I think it also shows that there is a level of animosity toward us that goes beyond the recent issues of canceling the season. I think many B1G folks view us as a bad fit for the conference since we are a faded brand whose glory is long gone, at a school in the middle of nowhere, with very mediocre academics. Sad to say but I think they view us as the West Virginia of the prairie who has no business in the league. This was clearly what both Wilbon and Howard were really saying and why they came down hard on us but not on OSU for saying the same things.
I agree 100%. The way NU is bashed on non stop by everyone in the B1G and nationally is tough to swallow. I’d love to see us get dominant and win a championship or two and then bounce somewhere else. I hate the idea of leaving never having won anything. It would looked like we tucked tail and ran. It’ll probably never happen but I can dream

And like you and I have said many times, this didn’t start this year and has manifested itself in many ways before. We are not a good fit and are not well received in the B1G.

And like you and I have said many times, this didn’t start this year and has manifested itself in many ways before. We are not a good fit and are not well received in the B1G.

Where are we not a good fit besides not being as good as the majority in the conference in Academics?

We have some of the best facilities in the conference for all our sports and football is waiting on a brand new facility..

Reactions: bluenrg
The way to cure this is to kick Ohio State right in the dick first week.

The BIG set tOSU's schedule up to be a favorable one to make the playoffs.

Want them to cut that out? Knock Ohio State out of contention week 1.

We want to be respected here, we need to earn it.

I think you guys are missing the point to why the B1G wanted Nebraska. They were going to a 14 team conference which has 3 perennial top 10 teams in the east division, and when Mich St was rolling, you had 4 over there. The west has Wisconsin and sometimes Iowa. The B1G took Nebraska wanting another football power, potential perennial top 10 team and to slot them in the west, given the B1G a balance of power in both divisions. They took Nebraska wanting those top 10 crossover matchups with Nebraska/OSU or Michigan or Penn St etc. and were planning years ahead for those bug time showdown games. Instead they got a team that consistently finishes middle of the pack in the West division and gets throbbed by the powers in the east yearly. However, I still feel they think/hope the lights will turn on for Nebraska and they keep scheduling the big time crossover games, hoping Nebraska will start to bring more balance to the west. I don’t think the B1G hates Nebraska or is screwing them with the schedule, thats the entire reason they took Nebraska to begin with, to schedule those big time games with the east.

I think you guys are missing the point to why the B1G wanted Nebraska. They were going to a 14 team conference which has 3 perennial top 10 teams in the east division, and when Mich St was rolling, you had 4 over there. The west has Wisconsin and sometimes Iowa. The B1G took Nebraska wanting another football power, potential perennial top 10 team and to slot them in the west, given the B1G a balance of power in both divisions. They took Nebraska wanting those top 10 crossover matchups with Nebraska/OSU or Michigan or Penn St etc. and were planning years ahead for those bug time showdown games. Instead they got a team that consistently finishes middle of the pack in the West division and gets throbbed by the powers in the east yearly. However, I still feel they think/hope the lights will turn on for Nebraska and they keep scheduling the big time crossover games, hoping Nebraska will start to bring more balance to the west. I don’t think the B1G hates Nebraska or is screwing them with the schedule, thats the entire reason they took Nebraska to begin with, to schedule those big time games with the east.
Pretty much, same Iowa’s crossover always includes PS, wisky’s is Mich. Some years you get more than one. Most of the old guard fan bases miss annual games w/much and Osu

Reactions: bluenrg
The Big 10's decision to add a twelfth team was so that the conference could stage a championship game. That it chose Nebraska was certainly rooted in football tradition and brand, but your history would be much more compelling if Nebraska hadn't been assigned on entry to the Big 10 to the Legends division with Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, and Northwestern. "Why the B1G wanted Nebraska" was never about balancing power between the east and west divisions.

Reactions: dinglefritz
If Nebraska performed better on the field, they'd stop feeling like they were being picked on.

The B1G probably feels like they bought damaged goods, the way NU has played since joining the conference.

Play better and this all goes away. Play better.

Reactions: OzzyLvr and bluenrg
If you want nebraska to be a power, wouldn't you want to build them up when they're down? Give them some winnable games to boost the record which would help recruiting and then when they're back, you get the top 15 matchups cross division.
Is Nebraska that pathetic that the conference has to pair us with weaklings to falsely build up our fragile self esteem? Apparently so. Sad, sad time to be a Husker fan.

Reactions: Sinomatic
If Nebraska performed better on the field, they'd stop feeling like they were being picked on.

The B1G probably feels like they bought damaged goods, the way NU has played since joining the conference.

Play better and this all goes away. Play better.

I would say it is the opposite. Nebraska was in a pretty good spot when they joined the B1G and the B1G didn’t want Nebraska coming in and being successful. They want to protect the old guard and will do so at all costs.

Is Nebraska that pathetic that the conference has to pair us with weaklings to falsely build up our fragile self esteem? Apparently so. Sad, sad time to be a Husker fan.
Or they could just have a balanced schedule like every other conference on the planet. Why the attempt to justify and normalize this ridiculousness? We can need to get better, but also call a spade a spade, when it comes to the B1G and their treatment of Nebraska.

I'm not saying the conference should do that, just saying that's what you would do if you wanted to build us up. The conference has chosen the opposite approach, so we know that's not their goal.

If you want nebraska to be a power, wouldn't you want to build them up when they're down? Give them some winnable games to boost the record which would help recruiting and then when they're back, you get the top 15 matchups cross division.

that’s what would make the most sense, but based off how things were botched with canceling the season the BIG doesn’t really do things in the “makes sense kind of way”... The only real answer to this problem we had is to just win, I remember And miss the 90’s mentality of we’ll play anyone any where and whoop their tail, we weren’t afraid to line up against the OSUs or Bama’s of the world and sure as heck weren’t complaining about the Wisconsin’s or Iowa’s, I think that’s the mentality we need to get back to, yea sure we’re going to lose some and our recruiting is going to dip, I mean it has already but Iron sharpens Iron people, the BIG isn’t going to cut us any breaks with the schedule so let’s go out and leave it all on the field, play all 4 quarters and if we don’t win hit the practice field harder and get better

I would say it is the opposite. Nebraska was in a pretty good spot when they joined the B1G and the B1G didn’t want Nebraska coming in and being successful. They want to protect the old guard and will do so at all costs.

Except the problem isn't that NU can't get to the level of Ohio State. They actually have a winning record against Michigan and PSU. The problem is they can't beat Wisconsin; they can't beat Iowa or Northwestern consistently. They invent ways to lose to Purdue. They've split with Indiana. Our best wins are a couple of games against Michigan State.

If and when Nebraska starts handing OSU, Michigan, and Penn St their asses they will magically disappear from the schedule. JMO

Crossover games shouldn’t be 4 consecutive years just became Purdue and Indiana have to play each other every year..

Something isn’t right when you played Rutgers and Maryland as many times as Indiana and those two have only been in the conference for only 5 years..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Low IQ Howard and his “Kinesiology“ classes passing judgment.

So I decided to look at our schedule going back to 2011 when we joined and compare it to Wisconsin and Iowa. No sense in OSU because they obviously don't play themselves. Granted there wasn't East and West but for practical purposes going to compare it that way. I'm going to use the East heavy hitters as OSU, MSU, M & PSU.

NU has played the following
OSU 7 times
Mich 4 times
MSU 4 times
Indiana 2
Maryland 2
Rutgers 3
PSU 5 times

NU's schedule
2011 OSU, PSU, MSU
2012 OSU, PSU, MSU
2013 PSU, MSU, M
2014 MSU
2015 MSU
2016 OSU
2017 PSU, OSU
2018 M, MSU, OSU
2019 OSU
2020 PSU, OSU

2014, 2015, 2016 & 2019 were pretty easy years

Wisconsin has played the following:
OSU 5
M 4
MSU 4
Ind 4
MD 3
Rutgers 3
PSU 4

Wisconsin's schedule
2011 OSU, PSU MSU
2012 PSU, OSU
2013 PSU, OSU, MSU
2014 none
2015 none
2016 MSU, OSU, M
2017 M, PSU
2018 M
2019 M, MSU, OSU
2020 M

Wisconsin had 2 VERY easy years in 2014 & 2015 and 2 easy years in 2018 and this year

Iowa has played the following:
OSU 2
M 5
MSU 5
Indiana 5
MD 3
Rutgers 2
PSU 7

Iowa Schedule
2011 PSU, M, MSU
2012 PSU, M, MSU
2013 MSU, OSU, M
2014 none
2015 none
2016 M, PSU
2017 PSU, MSU, OSU
2018 PSU
2019 M, PSU
2020 PSU, MSU

Iowa had 2 VERY easy schedules in 2014 & 2015 with 2018 I would consider easy.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm not complaining about the schedule but I think you can see that there tends to not be balance. Every seems to get some easy and hard years but in different years. Thus I think and have been saying even back in the B12 days that division champions should be determined by like competition which is the games within your division. NOT cross over games since some play harder schedules than others in the same year. I would say Iowa has definitely had the easiest of schedule when comparing NU, UW and Iowa.

This year would have been 3 years against Rutgers if they played..

Iowa is going to get easier too with Rutgers as their crossover games..:rolleyes:

B1G = Political / = Coastal elites.
Sportscasters/ESPN = Most mainstream media

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I was listening to Mike Harmon/Lavar Arrington today. They were talking about the people responsible for Nebraska’s schedule should be fired for trying to punish NU.
Sounds good to me.

I agree we've been hammered on scheduling. But if that is how they saw us, why did they let us in anyway?

The way to cure this is to kick Ohio State right in the dick first week.

The BIG set tOSU's schedule up to be a favorable one to make the playoffs.

Want them to cut that out? Knock Ohio State out of contention week 1.

We want to be respected here, we need to earn it.
?? the teams in the SEC EAST dont bitch and moan every year even though they play in the toughest division in college fb EVERY YEAR. If you need a soft schedule to convince people you are good then you are just a paper tiger

This is what happens when you stand up to a bully. Especially when that bully is arrogant and thinks you are beneath him. Add to that the fact that the bully was obviously wrong and is embarrassed by being called out by someone "inferior" in the bully's eyes.

Who knew that when we left the Big 12 because of the Texas bully, we would have to deal with a new bully in the B1G.

All we can do about it at this point is just win, baby.

Yes winning cures all. However stacking the deck hurts. We pissed away some opportunities when we had some easier schedules but a win or two here and there would have made a big difference. Bowl eligibility etc. Losing nonconference games doesn't help. But conference leaders haven't done us any favors

no need to buy into that crap! For Michigan and Northwestern grads, they are two of the dumbest mouths on TV. PERIOD. Their opinions are worth absolutely nothing. Look at the fake news tv model. It’s very profitable and they will use Nebraska and every other “issue“ to profit. Nothing more than pure, self serving propaganda.

this is just an opportunity. this is what we came for. let the never won nothings play each other and dream of being big boys. does anyone think Tom or Bob would be scared of this. we have to stop thinking like loosers

Reactions: Oldie but goodie
If respect is what you desire, then earn it. Our schedule provides ample opportunity. Will we take advantage of that opportunity? Based upon Frost’s track record in the B1G, no way would I bet on it. I can only hope.

Bunch of whiners, ITT. The B1G set it up for NU to dominate the West. Not sure it's their fault that we didn't live up to the hype. Most talented team in the West year in and year out. No more excuses. Here's to Coach Frost figuring it out once he gets his talent on the field.

GBR

The thing that truly sucks about this schedule is if SF doesn't pull off a miracle, we'll end up listening to the same whiners claim SF should by fired for not pulling a rabbit out of his a$$. Iowa will still think they're gods for winning a sub-par schedule as usual. The lone Illinois fan will show his stupidity by showing up to talk smack about last years lucky win against a sub-par Nebraska.
My hope is that SF fires up the team and squeaks by OSU, blows the socks off Wisconsin, maybe stumbles a bit at NW, battles it out with PSU. My biggest hope, he punches Iowa square in the chops and scores at will. Not because I hate the Iowa team, it's the small group of idiot from their group that make it very hard to like their team. Penis envy is strong in that bunch!

The thing that truly sucks about this schedule is if SF doesn't pull off a miracle, we'll end up listening to the same whiners claim SF should by fired for not pulling a rabbit out of his a$$. Iowa will still think they're gods for winning a sub-par schedule as usual. The lone Illinois fan will show his stupidity by showing up to talk smack about last years lucky win against a sub-par Nebraska.
My hope is that SF fires up the team and squeaks by OSU, blows the socks off Wisconsin, maybe stumbles a bit at NW, battles it out with PSU. My biggest hope, he punches Iowa square in the chops and scores at will. Not because I hate the Iowa team, it's the small group of idiot from their group that make it very hard to like their team. Penis envy is strong in that bunch!

even the hardest core anti-Frost guy isn't going to see 2020 as anything but an exhibition season.

Reactions: Clemke32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT