ADVERTISEMENT

Four Star DE Ty Robinson...

Alabama got the commitment from the #3 DE in the country in the 2020 class this weekend. He’s ranked the #10 overall prospect in that class as well. Chris Braswell is his name.... thinking it’s us or USC for Robinson

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun and jlb321
He's toned it down quite a bit, go look at his classes before

Not sure what you guys are still talking about but went and looked at the 2015 rankings....USC, TENNESSEE, FLORIDA STATE were in the top 5 for rivals recruiting...coaching comes first in this day and age where so many kids are ready to play right out of HS..Those 3 teams combined for 40 4 stars and 13 5 stars , and these should be seniors...and oh, by the way...these teams haven't been good in a couple years either.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Alabama got the commitment from the #3 DE in the country in the 2020 class this weekend. He’s ranked the #10 overall prospect in that class as well. Chris Braswell is his name.... thinking it’s us or USC for Robinson
IF he wants to play, he would be nuts to go to Bama and USC's coaching situation is tenuous at best.

I disagree.

Sincerely,
Gene Chizik.

STARS matter not "stars" on a recruiting website. Cam Newton was a freak of nature, a great qb and one of the few to be able to translate to the NFL...the fact is there seems to be a bevy of schools with insane amounts of stars that are REALLY bad. It might be transfers, grade issues, early outs but it would unimaginable to be #1 in recruiting like USC was in 2015 and be so bad. How can a team have a total of TWENTY four and five stars in their senior class and be so bad?

STARS matter not "stars" on a recruiting website. Cam Newton was a freak of nature, a great qb and one of the few to be able to translate to the NFL...the fact is there seems to be a bevy of schools with insane amounts of stars that are REALLY bad. It might be transfers, grade issues, early outs but it would unimaginable to be #1 in recruiting like USC was in 2015 and be so bad. How can a team have a total of TWENTY four and five stars in their senior class and be so bad?

Of the twenty 4 and 5 stars

10 are current starters at USC

3 were drafted in the 2018 NFL draft
2 were busts
1 transfered to Pitt
1 didn't qualify and went to a juco
1 was a juco coming in and exhausted his eligibilty
1 is a current 2nd string player
1 has had an injury plagued career but was voted captain in 2018.

Reactions: huskerfan66
WTF is so hard to grasp about the notion that you can coach down good kids like Ron Zook and coach up ok kids like Ferentz, but the very best teams coach up good kids like Saban and Meyer?

No, this is a binary choice. Either recruiting rankings are infallible or they don't matter.

Reactions: HuskerO and timnsun
WTF is so hard to grasp about the notion that you can coach down good kids like Ron Zook and coach up ok kids like Ferentz, but the very best teams coach up good kids like Saban and Meyer?
Of course, if the best coaches get the best kids they are going to win...the question is...can a great coach WIN with decent players and can a bad coach win with great players...because i believe we have a great coach who may never get great players to fill his two deep...but...if the game has changed so great athletes can be overcome by well-coached kids then we are in for some good years.

Of course, if the best coaches get the best kids they are going to win...the question is...can a great coach WIN with decent players and can a bad coach win with great players...because i believe we have a great coach who may never get great players to fill his two deep...but...if the game has changed so great athletes can be overcome by well-coached kids then we are in for some good years.

I think we can get a solid group of players but we’ll never see Alabama, USC type recruiting. In the grand scheme of things the team who plays the best usually wins so execution at a high level is the most important thing. When thats established the athletes to take it to the next level is icing on the cake.

I’m sure eventually there will be an exception but for the last 15+ years no team has won a national title if their last 4 year signing day classes,combined, were less than 50% 4 or 5*
recruits. All 4 likely playoff teams this year have a ratio > 50%.

As I said - I’m sure there will be exceptions but there hasn’t been for more than a decade. And yes you can have crappy teams with a high ratio (FSU - USC) but for almost as long as recruiting ratings have existed there hasn’t been a national champion with < 50%.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ootball-playoff-recruit-national-champion-cfb

Last edited:

The problem is that many on here want the team to win national titles but think you can do it by coaching average players up. They don't think Nebraska can get elite players, but in order for their desire for the team to compete for titles to come true, they have to look for ways to be the exception to the rule. So they look at teams like Wisconsin and Iowa as the model and somehow believe that Frost is so much better than Fry and Ferentz and any coach that Wisconsin has ever had, that by using that same model, he will do something that those schools have failed to accomplish.

So you're saying there is a chance is their war cry. Being that exception to the rule is the dream.

Reactions: HuskerO
The problem is that many on here want the team to win national titles but think you can do it by coaching average players up. They don't think Nebraska can get elite players, but in order for their desire for the team to compete for titles to come true, they have to look for ways to be the exception to the rule. So they look at teams like Wisconsin and Iowa as the model and somehow believe that Frost is so much better than Fry and Ferentz and any coach that Wisconsin has ever had, that by using that same model, he will do something that those schools have failed to accomplish.

So you're saying there is a chance is their war cry. Being that exception to the rule is the dream.

I truly think Nebraska can recruit at an elite level. But you have to start winning before then. This is a long term fix. Upgrade talent where and when we can, develop the talent that fits our scheme, gain stability in the coaching staff and culture around the program. That is the first step. We still currently out recruit all but 3 teams in the big ten. Those things should get us consistently in the top 15-20 with some top ten type years. That is our best chance to really become a player in recruiting. But it will take 5-10 years before we can really break through

Reactions: TennesseeHusker75
I truly think Nebraska can recruit at an elite level. But you have to start winning before then. This is a long term fix. Upgrade talent where and when we can, develop the talent that fits our scheme, gain stability in the coaching staff and culture around the program. That is the first step. We still currently out recruit all but 3 teams in the big ten. Those things should get us consistently in the top 15-20 with some top ten type years. That is our best chance to really become a player in recruiting. But it will take 5-10 years before we can really break through

How come it didn't take the great Mario Cristobal 5-10 years to get an elite class at Oregon?

I, too, believe that Nebraska can recruit elite players and have top classes. I just grow tired of all the excuses and how long it is going to take for that to happen.

How come it didn't take the great Mario Cristobal 5-10 years to get an elite class at Oregon?

Geographic location, recent program success and yes, Nike.

Fact is, getting Nebraska into the top 10 in recruiting won’t happen when we are going 4-8. We’ve been down too long and are going to have to prove to the elite recruits that we are going to compete for championships.

Fact is, getting Nebraska into the top 10 in recruiting won’t happen when we are going 4-8. We’ve been down too long and are going to have to prove to the elite recruits that we are going to compete for championships.

Well, it was happening before under Callahan.

Reactions: 8675309husker

More excuses for why it can't get done.

But when we go 8-4 next year, that will definitely attract a lot of attention.

Reactions: gw2kpro
But when we go 8-4 next year, that will definitely attract a lot of attention.

We will be better than 8-4 next year. Our schedule is significantly easier/more advantageous. 8-4 is a decent year, I just think we can do 9-3 or 10-2. Hell, if Ohio State and Wisconsin keep having problems, we could even do better than that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT