ADVERTISEMENT

Former Minnesota coach Jerry Kill blasts current head coach P.J. Fleck over antics

sounds like he's pissy that Minny fired his buddy. Fleck is a great coach, everyone is "for themself" somewhere down the line. Who in their right mind considers Minnesota a destination job?

Yeah, Kill has a thin skin...BUT incomers always have to be careful to not burn down the house....

There is about a 25 page thread about this on the gopherhole. The general thought is that Kill is somehow butt hurt and he crossed the line discussing Fleck's divorce and the death of his child. Respect for Kill in Minnesota is on a downward trend.

sounds like he's pissy that Minny fired his buddy. Fleck is a great coach, everyone is "for themself" somewhere down the line. Who in their right mind considers Minnesota a destination job?
You know this is so true. We like to romanticize coaching for some reason but in the end it is a job.

Ehh I tend to agree with Kill. I have a good buddy who coaches for one of MN's top high school programs and he has spent a good amount of time with Fleck at camps etc. Says he's very into himself and a lot of it is smoking mirrors. Call it what you want stepping stone job etc. but that's not the Midwest way. The dude appears to more similar to Lane Kiffin IMO.

Ehh I tend to agree with Kill. I have a good buddy who coaches for one of MN's top high school programs and he has spent a good amount of time with Fleck at camps etc. Says he's very into himself and a lot of it is smoking mirrors. Call it what you want stepping stone job etc. but that's not the Midwest way. The dude appears to more similar to Lane Kiffin IMO.

Did you just blow my mind. I thought the phrase was "Smoke AND mirrors" Right?

Did you just blow my mind. I thought the phrase was "Smoke AND mirrors" Right?
You're right about the phrase, but what if they really are smoking mirrors? That would be cool to see. "This show has it all! Lasers lights, fog machines, rollerblading midgets, smoking mirrors, something for everybody!"

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Ehh, he’s annoying but his teams clearly improve where ever he’s coaching. Minnesota got good towards the end of last year. I’m hoping they continue that trend for 1.) it’s good for the B1G West and 2.) it will be good to see him with his stoic look on his face when he’s getting his can kicked in. :Cool:

Don’t wish Ill will on anyone who’s gone through the difficulties he’s had to face in life.
I’m just afraid he’s going to go over the top and get himself canned on something stupid like showing a kid how to hit or tackle and end up abusing a player/disrespect.

You're right about the phrase, but what if they really are smoking mirrors? That would be cool to see. "This show has it all! Lasers lights, fog machines, rollerblading midgets, smoking mirrors, something for everybody!"
Hahaha! This sounds like a KISS concert!

Not the first time Kill has been bitter towards Minnesota. His buddy was a good assistant coach but not head coach material. Sorry Jerry

I guess I would think that Jerry Kill has more important things to do, as the Director of Athletics at Southern Illinois. I would assume his plate has enough on it with that job. I would expect his efforts should be focused on getting his 2-9 football program on track

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I agree with two things said in this thread. Kill looks bad criticizing Fleck this way and Fleck is creepy.

Reactions: gw2kpro
I'm too lazy and don't care enough to look it up, but what I read was that Fleck owes a lot of his career advancement to Kill and his boys, and Kill didn't take kindly to Fleck throwing that out with little consideration.

So he crapped on the guy that helped him get to where he is.

The one thing I wish had been different about Frost taking over was his comments about the state of the program. He made comments like the players weren't having fun and implied they were out of shape and the culture sucked. While no doubt true, I would have preferred comments like "The previous staff did some good things and we intend to build on them and put our own stamp on it." It is not good form to dump on the people you replace.

The one thing I wish had been different about Frost taking over was his comments about the state of the program. He made comments like the players weren't having fun and implied they were out of shape and the culture sucked. While no doubt true, I would have preferred comments like "The previous staff did some good things and we intend to build on them and put our own stamp on it." It is not good form to dump on the people you replace.
I agree......but I think he WOULD in a do-over...

Kill and Claeys feel like they left a program in good shape at 9-4 and then Fleck made lots of excuses the first year based on having to start over and rebuild the culture. Fleck threw them under the bus first, so Kill is just returning the favor.

Frost on the other hand took over a shit show, and everyone knows it. So not exactly major breaking news on the statements he made. Fleck is a flake, the day he wins 9 games at Minny he'll be polishing up his resume.

Reactions: SOHusker11
I'm too lazy and don't care enough to look it up, but what I read was that Fleck owes a lot of his career advancement to Kill and his boys, and Kill didn't take kindly to Fleck throwing that out with little consideration.

So he crapped on the guy that helped him get to where he is.
When Fleck accepted the job at Minnesota, he spent at least 2-3 minutes in his acceptance speech, thanking Kill and his staff, because he worked under them for a year. Don't think he was disrespectful at all towards Kill in public.

Kill and Claeys feel like they left a program in good shape at 9-4 and then Fleck made lots of excuses the first year based on having to start over and rebuild the culture. Fleck threw them under the bus first, so Kill is just returning the favor.

Frost on the other hand took over a shit show, and everyone knows it. So not exactly major breaking news on the statements he made. Fleck is a flake, the day he wins 9 games at Minny he'll be polishing up his resume.
The Gophers may have finished 9-4 under Kill/Claeys but they had 8 guys suspended, near mutinity among players, not enough offensive and defensive lineman to even practice in the spring and 1 below average scholarship quarterback on the roster. The Gophers were going to be bad the next year no matter who was the coach.

Same. Shit was so obvious I don't blame Frost at all.

Kill is a fat slob Fleck can recruit and coach and Minneapolis is a cool ass city.

Love the Twin Cities. Best place to weekend trip out of my hometown. Easy flights too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT