ADVERTISEMENT

Former 5* DB transfer on campus today

At least Tuco is bring bring up facts and players names, I haven’t seen one post of yours that makes me want to believe your in the know...
Never said I was "in the know,"/scoop just that I had common sense. By the way, I had a fair amount of facts about Frost's recruiting and the current unprecedented situation. But yes, sometimes I talk with coaches or AD staff having worked with them or interviewed them in the past.

Last edited:
Never said I was "in the know,"/scoop just that I had common sense. By the way, I had a fair amount of facts about Frost's recruiting and the current unprecedented situation. But yes, sometimes I talk with coaches or AD staff having worked with them or interviewed them in the past.
Wait without out having to rehash you're mindless post. Didn't you say you are in the know because you get paid to cover them? Yet you bring no facts.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Easy question. Did you or did you not say you get paid to cover them? Really easy question. You may even be able to answer that one. I typed really slow so you could understand it.

Nope it was a scholarship offer

summer camps and in person work outs can be a great place to find guys who have developed significantly during their most recent year. There's going to be a PLETHORA of guys who fit that description this cycle due to what COVID has done to high school sports and area camps. I really believe this past year is going to end up supplying a large amount of underrated talent to bottom end schools.

summer camps and in person work outs can be a great place to find guys who have developed significantly during their most recent year. There's going to be a PLETHORA of guys who fit that description this cycle due to what COVID has done to high school sports and area camps. I really believe this past year is going to end up supplying a large amount of underrated talent to bottom end schools.
Wasnt Bootle, good not great DB, the same way? Did people cry then too? lol

Wasnt Bootle, good not great DB, the same way? Did people cry then too? lol
I think people were wowed by his 40 time from the camp where they found him. I didn't hear any complaints about him that I can remember. We were extremely fortunate to find some very under the radar guys at some camps back then because we sure weren't landing many well known top recruits. I'll give Pelini some credit for that. The one area where he obviously did well was landing a couple of JUCOs one of them being LaVonte David. The guy knew DB, LB and DT talent when he saw it. He just didn't land enough.

I think people were wowed by his 40 time from the camp where they found him. I didn't hear any complaints about him that I can remember. We were extremely fortunate to find some very under the radar guys at some camps back then because we sure weren't landing many well known top recruits. I'll give Pelini some credit for that. The one area where he obviously did well was landing a couple of JUCOs one of them being LaVonte David. The guy knew DB, LB and DT talent when he saw it. He just didn't land enough.
Yeah, Randy G too but I think a crapshoot with JUCOs for Bo. I think Joe Carter, Matt Finnin and the cousin of some Wisky RB were JC bust off top of head. Once Carl run out, Bo did as little as possible...in all phases--lol

I don't mind the occasional "camp offer" on a kid who shows up in June like this and demonstrates in a camp setting that he belongs with other D1 prospects. It will be a wild year for that kind of thing, a lot of the traditional evaluation avenues were shut down or shortened.

When it gets to be a big chunk of your class that we're beating out the also-rans of college football to get, that's worrisome.

Narrative over facts these days Tuco.
Facts with no context can be misleading, as they are here.

Other facts...Frost took over one of least competitive/worst teams in p5 with being among the nations leaders in 3 score defeats in the last year and half of Riley. He took over the 2017 Huskers, not the 1997 Huskers.

Also, this staff had likely unprecedented misfortune (not just "bad luck") in 2018-2020 all while rebuilding a dumpster fire.

2018--Had to use a walk-on QB from previous staff in very first game that led to a loss thanks to a brand new NCAA rule that allowed Bozo Gebbia to leave after school started with no penalty (and he gave word to staff in May he wouldnt leave if not starter. Have that from a staff member.)

And that walk-on QB from previous staff had to start game 2 which was the main factor in that loss to Troy. Besides the Akron cancel, which gave CU a huge advantage in a close loss, Im guessing NU is 7-5 or 6-6 in year one with a somewhat normal year with garden variety bad luck.

In 2019 summer injuries to PKs led to 6 guys kicking FGs and multiple guys on KOs that season. Would love to see ANY Big 10 West coach deal with that while rebuilding a mess. No way to plan for that and without that factoring into to multiple close losses, maybe 7-5/8-4.

2020? lol. It is a fool's errand to draw much from that unprecedented 8 game season with no non-con or spring ball and season cancelled in Aug. PSU and Wisky had "losing seasons" too. 2020 is not even close to an apples to apples comparison with other years having no non-con games. With same bar, Solich had a "losing season" in 2002 at 3-5 in the Big 12 AND THAT GUY DID TAKE OVER THE 1997 HUSKERS!

Anyway, the above requires some thinking, so I will leave you with a more obvious misleading fact. "Frost has had four losing seasons in five years," is what I believe a poster was proclaiming.

Yes, 2016 was a "losing season" at 6-7 with a bowl game being the seventh loss but they took over an 0-12 team and improved by 6 wins (lol) and im guessing Frost got some AAC Coach of the Year votes going 6-6 during the reg season, but it is a "losing season" to be ashamed of--haha. And btw, all of the AAC (or mostly all) of the UCF all AAC conference players from UCF's 2014 9-win team were gone by 2016.

Facts in a vacuum can create their own narrative.

Other facts...Frost took over one of least competitive/worst teams in p5 with being among the nations leaders in 3 score defeats in the last year and half of Riley. He took over the 2017 Huskers, not the 1997 Huskers.

Also, this staff had likely unprecedented misfortune (not just "bad luck") in 2018-2020 all while rebuilding a dumpster fire.

2018--Had to use a walk-on QB from previous staff in very first game that led to a loss thanks to a brand new NCAA rule that allowed Bozo Gebbia to leave after school started with no penalty (and he gave word to staff in May he wouldnt leave if not starter. Have that from a staff member.)

And that walk-on QB from previous staff had to start game 2 which was the main factor in that loss to Troy. Besides the Akron cancel, which gave CU a huge advantage in a close loss, Im guessing NU is 7-5 or 6-6 in year one with a somewhat normal year with garden variety bad luck.

In 2019 summer injuries to PKs led to 6 guys kicking FGs and multiple guys on KOs that season. Would love to see ANY Big 10 West coach deal with that while rebuilding a mess. No way to plan for that and without that factoring into to multiple close losses, maybe 7-5/8-4.

2020? lol. It is a fool's errand to draw much from that unprecedented 8 game season with no non-con or spring ball and season cancelled in Aug. PSU and Wisky had "losing seasons" too. 2020 is not even close to an apples to apples comparison with other years having no non-con games. With same bar, Solich had a "losing season" in 2002 at 3-5 in the Big 12 AND THAT GUY DID TAKE OVER THE 1997 HUSKERS!

Anyway, the above requires some thinking, so I will leave you with a more obvious misleading fact. "Frost has had four losing seasons in five years," is what I believe a poster was proclaiming.

Yes, 2016 was a "losing season" at 6-7 with a bowl game being the seventh loss but they took over an 0-12 team and improved by 6 wins (lol) and im guessing Frost got some AAC Coach of the Year votes going 6-6 during the reg season, but it is a "losing season" to be ashamed of--haha. And btw, all of the AAC (or mostly all) of the UCF all AAC conference players from UCF's 2014 9-win team were gone by 2016.

A lot of excuses for Frost and his staff in this post. Frost inherited a mess, not doubt. But in my opinion, he made it worse by failing to win some games he could have won with better play calling, better special teams coaching and better player management/development. Failure to win a few extra games resulted in losing seasons and no bowl games, which has negatively impacted recruiting. Another losing season this year and I think it gets even worse. If I were Moos and the Nebraska administration, I would seriously consider a coaching change if we have another losing season this year.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63

So wouldn’t the fact that UCF was 12-1 and 9-4 the 2 years before the 0-12 season mean that the 0-12 season was the exception and that Frost taking over a 0-12 teams is just a fact in a vacuum?

The rule Gebbia used to leave wasn’t new. It was just never used. The school he went to uses a quarters system, they hadn’t started classes yet. Hell if he did it now, he wouldn’t have even had to sit out the year. Another fact in a vacuum.

So wouldn’t the fact that UCF was 12-1 and 9-4 the 2 years before the 0-12 season mean that the 0-12 season was the exception and that Frost taking over a 0-12 teams is just a fact in a vacuum?

The rule Gebbia used to leave wasn’t new. It was just never used. The school he went to uses a quarters system, they hadn’t started classes yet. Hell if he did it now, he wouldn’t have even had to sit out the year. Another fact in a vacuum.
The starters from the 12-1 and 9-4 teams weren't there, the 0-12 starters getting blown out were. That is where the program was at....an ugly 0-12. Going from an ugly 0-12 regular season to a 6-6 reg season is a great coaching job.

The facts are Frost has had 3 losing seasons in a row.

I haven't seen this much brown nosing for a coach in quite some time. Cut the crap.. he is what his record says he is.

All I care about is the W-L record for each season. I like to keep it that simple. One can rationalize and explain away every season, good or bad, until the cows come home. But what matters in the end is the record.

The starters from the 12-1 and 9-4 teams weren't there, the 0-12 starters getting blown out were. That is where the program was at....an ugly 0-12. Going from an ugly 0-12 regular season to a 6-6 reg season is a great coaching job.
A couple if things. Sure some of the starters from the 12-1 team were gone, but some from the 9-4 team were still on the the 0-12 and on Frost's team in 2016. It was one bad year, they didn't lose 85 guys off the roster and have to start over.

Along the same lines, so the UCF program, in your opinion, was an ugly 0-12 and Frost was able to get them to 6-7 and a bowl in 1 season, but none of the players on the 0-12 team were on the 6-7 team?

Frost was able to turn 0-12 into 6-7 but can only turn 4-8 into 4-8 then 5-7? Frost still hasn't managed to win 4 league games in a season. Hell even Riley and Callahan got 6 one time each in their first 3 years.

Sorry for all the facts.

A couple if things. Sure some of the starters from the 12-1 team were gone, but some from the 9-4 team were still on the the 0-12 and on Frost's team in 2016. It was one bad year, they didn't lose 85 guys off the roster and have to start over.

Along the same lines, so the UCF program, in your opinion, was an ugly 0-12 and Frost was able to get them to 6-7 and a bowl in 1 season, but none of the players on the 0-12 team were on the 6-7 team?

Frost was able to turn 0-12 into 6-7 but can only turn 4-8 into 4-8 then 5-7? Frost still hasn't managed to win 4 league games in a season. Hell even Riley and Callahan got 6 one time each in their first 3 years.

Sorry for all the facts.
Again, half the facts.

The facts are Frost has had 3 losing seasons in a row.

I haven't seen this much brown nosing for a coach in quite some time. Cut the crap.. he is what his record says he is.
"he is what his record says he is"--Common sense is not so common.

Did anybody in the country actually think Solich was as good as 58-19 at a p5 sounds? Hell No with ZERO p5 offers or f-ing interviews even with TO calling Indiana personally (lol) after he was canned.

Or Larry Coker as good as 60-15 sounds with 2 Natty games and 3 major conference rings? Hell no...he was at a g5, USTA, like Solich ended up at some random g5 in the mac.

Last edited:
All I care about is the W-L record for each season. I like to keep it that simple. One can rationalize and explain away every season, good or bad, until the cows come home. But what matters in the end is the record.
No. To be fair, it is OK to see if has a been a somewhat normal first few years or if some unprecedented things have affected the situation, besides being one of the least competitive/worst teams in p5.

Last edited:
I hear a lot of cable guy stuff for Johnson. Like he is in the student directory, but so was Darnay Holmes. He was accepted to the school for sure, but until he enrolls and is at a summer workout. I'm not getting to worked up

Frost has let one thing get in his way so far here....Pride..... I just hope it doesnt define his legacy here

In what way? I’ve heard this one before, would love to know what you see as the HC’s pride leading to bad performance and losses. I see red zone mediocracy, poor line play, turnovers, but not sure how that is attributed to the HC’s pride.

Reactions: yunginsNU2

Sorry for all the facts.

And one of the biggest fact is that Riley and Eichorst put this program in a crapper and it’s taking SF longer than most of expected…Not a damn one of us is happy with the losing seasons and no bowls and one of those years was COVID-19 year..

Reactions: SOHusker11
In what way? I’ve heard this one before, would love to know what you see as the HC’s pride leading to bad performance and losses. I see red zone mediocracy, poor line play, turnovers, but not sure how that is attributed to the HC’s pride.
I will start with his comment of the Big better adjust to us right out of the gate. I dont believe he did even a decent job of using the talent we had here already when his team got here.. i think he believed he could take the roster he inherited here and make it fit his system and it clearly wasnt working..thats pride..square peg in a round hole.. he could have swallowed his pride and waited to get most of his guys in to slowly implement his offense.. again I know its what he knows but he could have assessed the roster better and say we are just not fast enough to run this or adjust..he didnt so we continue to see garbage swing passes with no vertical threat whatsoever and defenses just physically blow those plays up..

2. IMHO he should have at the least hired a full time Special teams coach to manage 1 of the 3 major keys to winning fball games.. specialists and analysts clearly didnt cut it..they need a coach on the field during gameday and practice working on special teams every day of the week..They have been terrible

3. His recruitment in fl hasnt worked out at all.. i dont have numbers but its a running joke when we get any commit from there we ask if they have hit the portal yet.. not saying we shouldnt recruit fl but at the very least he should rethink his strategy in recruiting and maybe spend more time in oh..mi...kc..mo... big country

Let me just finish with I like Frost alot.. I am pulling for him but some of his in game coching decisions..playcalling... baffles me sometimes.. thats probably my biggest example of his pride hurting us..its been brutal... think CU game...either on... just awful..

Again I want Frost to do well and turn this thing around..I dont bag on him.. these are just some things I see as areas of opportunities.. Your welcome to disagree with me and I cant even say I have any answers just want to be better

GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldie but goodie
I will start with his comment of the Big better adjust to us right out of the gate. I dont believe he did even a decent job of using the talent we had here already when his team got here.. i think he believed he could take the roster he inherited here and make it fit his system and it clearly wasnt working..thats pride..square peg in a round hole.. he could have swallowed his pride and waited to get most of his guys in to slowly implement his offense.. again I know its what he kn I ws but he could have assessed the roster better and say we are just not fast enough to run this or adjust..he didnt so we continue to see garbage swing passes and defenses just physically blow those plays up..

2. IMHO he should have at the least hired a full time Special teams coach to manage 1 of the 3 major keys to winning fball games.. specialists and analysts clearly didnt cut it..they need a coach on the field during gameday and practice working on special teams every day of the week..They have been terrible

3. His recruitment in fl hasnt worked out at all.. i dont have numbers but its a running joke when we get any commit from there we ask if they have hit the portal yet.. not saying we shouldnt recruit fl but at the very least he should rethink his strategy in recruiting and maybe spend more time in kc..mo... big country

Let me just finish with I like Frost alot.. I am pulling for him but some of his in game coching decisions..playcalling... baffles me sometimes.. thats probably my biggest examples of his pride hurting us..its been brutal... think CU game...either on... just awful..

Again I want Frost to do well and turn this thing around..I dont bag on him.. these are just some things I see as areas of opportunities.. Your welcome to disagree with me and I cant even say I have any answers just want to be better

GBR
Your first point is incorrect and didn't happen.

there are certainly some troubling tales in the big money booster circles that point to some egomaniacal tendencies.

who knows how much of them are true, though.

And one of the biggest fact is that Riley and Eichorst put this program in a crapper and it’s taking SF longer than most of expected…Not a damn one of us is happy with the losing seasons and no bowls and one of those years was COVID-19 year..
Not sure how Covid affected our performance differently than any other team?

I will start with his comment of the Big better adjust to us right out of the gate. I dont believe he did even a decent job of using the talent we had here already when his team got here.. i think he believed he could take the roster he inherited here and make it fit his system and it clearly wasnt working..thats pride..square peg in a round hole.. he could have swallowed his pride and waited to get most of his guys in to slowly implement his offense.. again I know its what he knows but he could have assessed the roster better and say we are just not fast enough to run this or adjust..he didnt so we continue to see garbage swing passes with no vertical threat whatsoever and defenses just physically blow those plays up..

3. His recruitment in fl hasnt worked out at all.. i dont have numbers but its a running joke when we get any commit from there we ask if they have hit the portal yet.. not saying we shouldnt recruit fl but at the very least he should rethink his strategy in recruiting and maybe spend more time in oh..mi...kc..mo... big country

Let me just finish with I like Frost alot.. I am pulling for him but some of his in game coching decisions..playcalling... baffles me sometimes.. thats probably my biggest example of his pride hurting us..its been brutal... think CU game...either on... just awful..

GBR

The guy certainly hasn’t lived up to expectations. But a bad press conference (even if you are misquoting him), failing to hire a ST coach (which Riley was crucified for doing) and recruiting failures in a state (one of the most talent rich), hardly point to pride being the issue.

If Nebraska wins this year and , you know, doesn’t act like Nebraska of basically the previous twenty years Recruiting will be just fine. I hope Nebraska doesn’t accept commitments from players they wouldn’t take in good times. The takers have to meet the standard of in good times and bad.

In year four the recruiting for Scott Frost would be challenging. No surprise at all. I hope Nebraska starts to mirror Wisconsin and Iowa in regards of player selection, development of the body, mind and coaching up players on the field. This HAS to happen for a former blue blood school like Nebraska. The Huskers have the least amount of natural assets that matter in easily the most scholarship laden sport of Division One sports.

If Nebraska wins or wins big, recruiting will improve maybe mushroom fast forward. But picking the right players, developing and coaching up is areas we have been missing for quite awhile. If Nebraska wins the division or even more trophy‘s, new recruits will line up visits and others will renege on oral commitments or leanings to other schools.

So Nebraska needs to recruit and accept verbals from players they really like. If they are at 10 verbals going into the season, I for one will not lose any sleep over it. If they have a substandard year, the coaches will have to really grind to continue to add talent to the 85 scholarship roster After graduations and defections.

I won’t be cheerleading for a coaching change since the fifth time seems like a good enough sample to suggest we are pretenders, not contenders. It’s still doable but our natural limitations in The huge scholarship sport becomes a hill we can’t climb or conquer over to the better other side. Besides, the big money older guard(where the apparent huge wealth resides) is tired of financing big facility upgrades, buyouts(especially) and who will pay for another football stadium in fifty years? Not these gents, imo. A state tax will probably be greatly needed to feasibly entertain such thoughts long after I’m gone.

I hear a lot of cable guy stuff for Johnson. Like he is in the student directory, but so was Darnay Holmes. He was accepted to the school for sure, but until he enrolls and is at a summer workout. I'm not getting to worked up
Seems like we're a placeholder in case a better opportunity presents itself.

ADVERTISEMENT