ADVERTISEMENT

Formations and reads

Chaz in SoCal

Assistant Head Coach
Apr 15, 2014
I really hope I can find some players for this. From a single picture I'd like to learn how to play quarterback (or OC up in the booth). They come to the line ready to run a play contingent on what they see. Then they read pre-snap and adjust accordingly. It all happens in just seconds (and not just quarterback). There's TONS of stuff going on before the ball is even snapped that I'd like to know more about. How about you guys?

So here's my proposal (and alter it as you all see fit). I'd like to 1) post some formations, which will obviously include both offense and defense, that I expect to see from Nebraska and Nebraska opponents this fall. Then let's see if we can 2) identify the formation and personnel (particularly offense here). What does it suggest, if anything? Would you guess run or pass? What kind of play?

Now comes the great part. Based on what both offense and defense sees, 3) what's the thinking? What appears at first glance to be matchups to exploit? What is the quarterback seeing and thinking? What would Bando as MIK be seeing and thinking? Is this thing covered?

It's July but we haven't begun to take advantage of all the time we have this month to notice the myriad of things we won't have time for once the season starts. Beats more political threads.

So I'll start with this formation from the Oregon State at Stanford game last year, first drive.

* What are the personnel packages and formations (offense and defense)?
* What match-ups, mismatches, opportunities, and/or threats do you see, if any? What is and isn't covered?
* If Bando were quarterbacking this defense, what would you tell him?

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-11%20at%2010.42.25%20AM.png

Would be great if any of you know how to capture the picture and paint with lines/arrows/circles and letters to add with your commentary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News