ADVERTISEMENT

FORDE:Nebraska Keeps Defying the Big Ten, Responding to Adversity With Petulance

It's as if Nebraska is a rebellious child who isn't taking the covid seriously and therefore needs to be punished. The conference brass bungled the entire football season. Nebraska doesn't want any part of that stink. We're not going to toe the line.
Except Nebraska seems to be taking it much more seriously than some of our league mates, at the moment.

I’m talking once they finally rebooted the season. Oct. 2/3 wasn’t possible at the time they re-voted. The 23rd and 24th was the only option at that point. I’m taking hindsight out of my opinion. We all know the conference should have never changed the schedule once the 10 game schedule was announced.

That’s the whole point the B1G had no plan in place after canceling the season till Nebraska and Ohio St pushed to play the season...

Season should have never been canceled at the beginning..Poor leadership on the part of Steve Warren and states senators..

Here's a random thought. Did the Big Ten go looking for a yes man in Kevin Warren? I respected the hell out of Jim Delaney. He got things done. Did the Ivory Tower egg heads resent him for his power and reputation and pivot to find someone they could control?

Does a fat dog fart?

Reactions: Swiv3D and tpmcg
Coming from a long time Mizzou fan that grew up watching you guys.

You guys need to keep your mouth shut and go out and win some games.

All this crap isn't a good look for you.
Chase Daniels eats boogers. When I think about the SEC teams I always forget about you guys. You’re with vanderbilt. Worry about your own team

Though historically we're a much better program, this serves as a good parallel. It's depressing. On the one hand I get defensive with articles like these because the columnists, most of whom absolutely do remember when Nebraska was top dog, seem to revel in our struggles. They write how Nebraska will never be good again, and it should accept the game has evolved beyond its grasp. On the other hand, sports journalism is all editorializing, and besides what has Nebraska done to deserve more favorable coverage? Even when we were awesome we got crap coverage. Bottom line, the national media will always describe Nebraska with tired cliches.
I think it important for us to reflect on whether sports fans like it when "underdogs" and "niche" teams win championships. How many people would be happy if the Devil Rays win the World Series with a cheap roster using pure analytics which leads to weird baseball that exploits the game in novel ways? Most people would actually view this as bad for baseball. We want to see hall of famers hitting home runs, throwing 100 miles per hour and coming up with clutch moments...not weird defensive shifts, and seven pitchers winning games. Nebraska was viewed as a niche team, to some extent an exploitation of the big 8, and many people felt that us winning showed a level of parity in college football that lead to a weaker sport overall. I do believe this is why many people favored Penn State or Michigan over us in the media, even though on paper we would have beaten those teams by multiple scores. We represented dominance in an unattractive way to the mainstream football fan.

Great column. You've got to wonder what the hell Moos, Green, and Frost are trying to pull. Pretending our boys just want to compete more than anybody else may play well to the gaggle of rubes on this board, but for the adults in the room, Forde's viewpoint is reflective of how most rational people OUTSIDE the cabal of GBR thumbsuckers see our actions. Just another roadblock to recruiting. Just another roadblock on the long road to respect. Petulance is never a smart angle.

🤡

Reactions: scarletred
I think it important for us to reflect on whether sports fans like it when "underdogs" and "niche" teams win championships. How many people would be happy if the Devil Rays win the World Series with a cheap roster using pure analytics which leads to weird baseball that exploits the game in novel ways? Most people would actually view this as bad for baseball. We want to see hall of famers hitting home runs, throwing 100 miles per hour and coming up with clutch moments...not weird defensive shifts, and seven pitchers winning games. Nebraska was viewed as a niche team, to some extent an exploitation of the big 8, and many people felt that us winning showed a level of parity in college football that lead to a weaker sport overall. I do believe this is why many people favored Penn State or Michigan over us in the media, even though on paper we would have beaten those teams by multiple scores. We represented dominance in an unattractive way to the mainstream football fan.
I think they disfavored us because Nebraska is a small population state that often did win with walk-ons and a running attack in the 90s that had fallen out of favor with most of the top programs. It's just too easy for sports media to trade in cliches, and Nebraska is not a big market, so most could care less if their coverage resonates with Nebraskans. They aren't writing for Nebraskans. Ask yourself, if Nebraska were to rise again to national prominence, would ESPN consider intimate coverage of the Huskers for a season, as they have done with other programs? Of course they wouldn't. Again, I don't read the national coverage. I know there is a lot of antipathy for local media guys on the board, but they are local and they are close to the team. For my money that's worth far more than ESPN can offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT