ADVERTISEMENT

FORDE:Nebraska Keeps Defying the Big Ten, Responding to Adversity With Petulance

My problem with the B1G leadership is lack of transparency and good reasoning behind their decisions. I have no problem with Wisconsin backing out of the game due to an outbreak. What I don't understand is why Nebraska cannot replace them with an out of conference opponent. What harm does that cause the Big 10? Playing games are a benefit. It's tv revenue and exposure. The only thing I have seen suggested is that they say out of conference opponents do not have stringent enough testing. That's baloney. They tested and they are fine. It's a one time event. It can't be that. The only thing I can think of is that they are being petty and their egos were insulted. They are striking back at Nebraska for the players lawsuit and the pushback by our administration back in August. Shame on the B1G.

My problem with the B1G leadership is lack of transparency and good reasoning behind their decisions. I have no problem with Wisconsin backing out of the game due to an outbreak. What I don't understand is why Nebraska cannot replace them with an out of conference opponent. What harm does that cause the Big 10? Playing games are a benefit. It's tv revenue and exposure. The only thing I have seen suggested is that they say out of conference opponents do not have stringent enough testing. That's baloney. They tested and they are fine. It's a one time event. It can't be that. The only thing I can think of is that they are being petty and their egos were insulted. They are striking back at Nebraska for the players lawsuit and the pushback by our administration back in August. Shame on the B1G.

Great post, and spot on. From my understanding Nebraska was going to pay and do the same test for UTC as themselves....

Best thing happens now is that Nebraska started precedents and no other B1G team now have a chance to make a game up because of the decision. I hope it bits someone in the ass..

https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/30/nebraska-defies-big-ten-rules-coronavirus-again
Nebraska is in its 10th season as a member of the Big Ten Conference. It has played 78 league games since relocating from the Big 12 (losing 38 of them). And yet the school continues to act like it has no idea how to be a cohesive member.

Are the Cornhuskers slow learners, tone deaf, willfully belligerent or still clinging to an outdated sense of blueblood entitlement?
Honestly that attitude really makes me mad. Just what is wrong with wanting players to be able to play games when they worked and practiced so hard? I'm very proud of the coach and school who always fights for the players above all else. Players ALWAYS come before conference in my book! I hope recruits are taking notice of who really cares about players.

That was the excuse used of why he was fired, but not the true reason.
I agree you're right. I was just saying from the outside perspective it was a double whammy of firing a very successful coach and the AD sounding like an arrogant, clueless dipshit.

The Big Ten needs scrutinized for not doing the most common sense thing; scheduling crossover games later and only counting intra-division games to crown division champs. If they would have done that, then this matchup could have been swapped with a cross over game and played later in the year.

The Big Ten needs scrutinized for not doing the most common sense thing; scheduling crossover games later and only counting intra-division games to crown division champs. If they would have done that, then this matchup could have been swapped with a cross over game and played later in the year.
the b1g is merely reaping what they'd sowed by acting like high-and-mighty, holier than thou, pompous, arrogant douchebags and cancelling the season in the first place.

the SEC, B12 and ACC turned that idea sideways and shoved it up kevin warren's candy ass.

that's what they should be criticized for.

the conference leadership is dishonest and lacks transparency.
they're not straight shooters, and have for the most part looked like charlatans and confidence men.
at least with N, you gonna how we really feel.
there's no reason to be ashamed, at every turn since this sh1tshow started, we've been proven right.
GBR!

Reactions: BleedRed78
Come December, Warren's contract needs terminating.

Nebraska’s lack of success in the league should have no bearing on this at all. It’s a stupid take from Forde. I’ll ask the same question I did back in August...why is the Big Ten so afraid of Nebraska wanting to play football games? Why is that wrong? Why are “fans” of other schools so quick to simply shrug their shoulders and walk away with their tail between their legs rather than ask perfectly legitimate questions?

Why is Nebraska so threatening?

True, but with seven teams per division, crossover games have to be scheduled every week in a bye-less schedule. They had a perfectly fine 10-game schedule laid out (with Nebraska playing OSU, PSU, MSU and Rutgers — balanced slate) and two bye weeks. But ... well, you know.

Reactions: scarletred

In my opinion they needed to start the season no later than Oct 2/3 and allow for byes incase there were some postponements which they knew would happen like the other conference did...

What gets me is Wisconsin allowed Mertz to play in that first game knowing he was positive for COVID-19 and if they cared so much about the players playing in the Nebraska game, why didn’t they care to have Mertz not play in the Illini game?

This article is such crap the author should change his name to Pat Chevy

Nebraska’s lack of success in the league should have no bearing on this at all. It’s a stupid take from Forde. I’ll ask the same question I did back in August...why is the Big Ten so afraid of Nebraska wanting to play football games? Why is that wrong? Why are “fans” of other schools so quick to simply shrug their shoulders and walk away with their tail between their legs rather than ask perfectly legitimate questions?

Why is Nebraska so threatening?
All great questions.

Coming from a long time Mizzou fan that grew up watching you guys.

You guys need to keep your mouth shut and go out and win some games.

All this crap isn't a good look for you.
True story:
In 1984, I was the editor of First Down magazine, a gameday magazine published by the Daily Nebraskan for every home game. We asked sports reporters from student newspapers covering the opposing team to provide us with perspective on the game. Wyoming, Minnesota, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State reporters did just that, and we printed them.

We sent the request to The Maneater, the student-run paper at Mizzou. The column we received back was essentially 500 words telling Nebraska and its fans to go f*ck themselves. We didn't print it.

For a long time, I just assumed it was one arrogant douchebag, not typical of a Mizzou student or fan.

I was wrong.

P.S. Forde was at Mizzou at the time, but I don't remember the name of the offending columnist.

What did we do to Pat Forde, was there some moment that triggered this? I get hes an a$$clown, but did Frost steal his lunch money at some point?

Its embarrassing. How many times does UNL have to be told that rogue outside conference games are not allowed? It's like seeing parents with an ill-mannered child running around and raising hell. B10 = Parents. Ill-mannered child = Nebraska.
What is embarrassing is the commissioner’s prompt dismissal of every suggestion coming from our athletic department. They look like complete fools making rash judgements based upon false information and then backtracking. Not they are going to change the 21 day quarantine. They wouldn’t do it if the push back had only come from Nebraska, even if it is clearly the right call.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
If the crossover games were scheduled later, it lessens the chance that the NU/tOSU and NU/ PSU games occur.

Pat Forde and Paul Finebaum have discovered what Kirk Herbstreit has known for a long time. In an age where all page views are good page views, when people stop paying attention to you, just start ragging on Nebraska. Husker fans will flock to read all about it.

How’s the “Meth Mouths” down there? Still good for a gummer or two?
this year will be over in another month. and forgotten when next year begins. neb will be looking pretty good next year. take a deep breath and look long term.

Reactions: 9and4
Its embarrassing. How many times does UNL have to be told that rogue outside conference games are not allowed? It's like seeing parents with an ill-mannered child running around and raising hell. B10 = Parents. Ill-mannered child = Nebraska.
How many times does a program need to be told child molestation is not okay? Apparently more than 1 time. But continue on about a football program wanting to play football games.

They didn't go rogue, they went through the Big10 the whole way. The Big10 is such a garbage conference that they have no contingency plans.

Here's a random thought. Did the Big Ten go looking for a yes man in Kevin Warren? I respected the hell out of Jim Delaney. He got things done. Did the Ivory Tower egg heads resent him for his power and reputation and pivot to find someone they could control?

Reactions: Mack In Motion
In my opinion they needed to start the season no later than Oct 2/3 and allow for byes incase there were some postponements which they knew would happen like the other conference did...

What gets me is Wisconsin allowed Mertz to play in that first game knowing he was positive for COVID-19 and if they cared so much about the players playing in the Nebraska game, why didn’t they care to have Mertz not play in the Illini game?
True, but with seven teams per division, crossover games have to be scheduled every week in a bye-less schedule. They had a perfectly fine 10-game schedule laid out (with Nebraska playing OSU, PSU, MSU and Rutgers — balanced slate) and two bye weeks. But ... well, you know.
I’m talking once they finally rebooted the season. Oct. 2/3 wasn’t possible at the time they re-voted. The 23rd and 24th was the only option at that point. I’m taking hindsight out of my opinion. We all know the conference should have never changed the schedule once the 10 game schedule was announced.

Reactions: 9and4
Most people do not even remember when we were relevant. It has been 23 years...for perspective this is similar to PITT wanting to be respected in 1999 because they won a championship in 1976...nobody cared about Pitt in 1999.
Though historically we're a much better program, this serves as a good parallel. It's depressing. On the one hand I get defensive with articles like these because the columnists, most of whom absolutely do remember when Nebraska was top dog, seem to revel in our struggles. They write how Nebraska will never be good again, and it should accept the game has evolved beyond its grasp. On the other hand, sports journalism is all editorializing, and besides what has Nebraska done to deserve more favorable coverage? Even when we were awesome we got crap coverage. Bottom line, the national media will always describe Nebraska with tired cliches.

ADVERTISEMENT