ADVERTISEMENT

For those who continue to blame Chin’s

Thats a false statement. There are currently 6 teams in the BIG below Nebraska in scoring defense. The teams above Nebraska have one thing in common, with the exception of Indiana, that is they avoided Ohio St and didn't get 50 hung on them too.

Nebraska has a long way to go on defense, but take away Ohio St and Illinois (5 turnovers) and the D has put Nebraska in position to win every game. The offense, on the other hand, is flat out garbage.
What's the record of those teams?

Not exactly true under Scott’s scheme. The offense is supposed to be quick strike and the defense’s primary job is to get the ball back to the offense as fast as possible.

Getting turnovers, playing aggressive, even if you get burned and give up the big play is what is being taught. No fear of failure thing, and it goes hand in hand with the offense. Except our offense isn’t working.

this is polar opposite of the old way where time of possession was valued.. his scheme values # of possessions, not how long you have it.

anyway it is easy to think the defense is giving up too many points, but the scheme is not like the old 17-14 football games of the past

Exactly. They are being coached to do what is expected of a team that scores quickly and a lot.....but they aren’t on either.

Reactions: bshirt73
For being the problem with Nebraska, here is Frost’s record as an OC at Oregon and HC at UCF by points scored.

0-19 points- 0-3

20-29 points 3-9

30-39 points 9-2

40 or more 38-1.

Frost’s record at Nebraska not including today’s game as it is not over as I type this.

0-19 points 2-6.

20-29 points 0-9.

30-39 points 3-4.

40 or more 6-0

Who are those 6 wins against?
Bethune Cookman
Northern Illinois
South Alabama
Illinois twice
Maryland

It’s a problem to be 5-27 in games that you score less than 30 in the Big 10. Points are a lot harder in this league. Look at his past results. He must score 30 to have a chance and 40 to almost be guaranteed a victory.

Pretty sure I counted correctly.
I’m not tracking your point but do know NU scored more than 50 vs MN in a win Frost’s 1st year. So you have some number(s) off.

I’m not tracking your point but do know NU scored more than 50 vs MN in a win Frost’s 1st year. So you have some number(s) off.

Yes I counted that one as a win but apparently didn’t list by name. Sorry the s*** show on tv was distracting.

My point is, some offenses can win low scoring games. HCSFs offense doesn’t seem to be in that category.

Chin’s defense is schematically broken. Our run fits are almost always wrong and we are getting gashed in the run game by very poor running teams. Not to mention Third and Charmander being a thing, give a team a 3rd and 10+ and they will convert it 99.99% of the time.

I read the title of this thread as "For those who continue to blame China", and thought it was going to be another Covid thread...

Reactions: CatColumbia
Yes I counted that one as a win but apparently didn’t list by name. Sorry the s*** show on tv was distracting.

My point is, some offenses can win low scoring games. HCSFs offense doesn’t seem to be in that category.
Yeah it's called having a good defense.

Chin’s defense is schematically broken. Our run fits are almost always wrong and we are getting gashed in the run game by very poor running teams. Not to mention Third and Charmander being a thing, give a team a 3rd and 10+ and they will convert it 99.99% of the time.
Yeah that and personnel decisions are more than questionable.

Reactions: Redblood23
The offense is worse than it was in 2009, the defense isn't near as big as of an issue as the offense.
If you take out the games against Fla Atlantic, Arkansas St, and ULL where we scored 49, 38, and 55 that average drops to 18.9 per game. Since we didn’t have those game this year, to be fair to Frost they shouldn’t be included in comparison.

The defense is the issue. The offense doesn’t have to do the defense any favors. The defense's job is to get stops. Our 2009 offense didn't do our 2009 defense any favors, yet they still got stops. You can't have a below average defense in the Big 10 and expect to win games.

Your 2009 comparison is garbage, that was one of the best defenses in a long time and hasn’t been duplicated since. Not to mention the greatest either CFB player and or DT to ever play the game.

Your 2009 comparison is garbage, that was one of the best defenses in a long time and hasn’t been duplicated since. Not to mention the greatest either CFB player and or DT to ever play the game.
Iowa and Wisconsin have produced Top 10 defenses lately with far less talent. Even a top 30 defense likely would have won us 2 or 3 more games. I think we're ranked around 70th in defense which is nowhere near good enough. You can't play below average defense at Nebraska and expect to win.

Iowa and Wisconsin have produced Top 10 defenses lately with far less talent. Even a top 30 defense likely would have won us 2 or 3 more games. I think we're ranked around 70th in defense which is nowhere near good enough. You can't play below average defense at Nebraska and expect to win.

Ball control offense, and winning the time of possession battle consistently is a huge factor in those two teams having great defense stats. Duh. That’s why Nebraska had great stats back in the day. We held onto the ball longer than 24 freaking minutes (like yesterday). We could win games where we scored on 17 points because we chewed the clock and made the game shorter. Kind of like what the Gophers did to us.
The offense you run will have a direct impact on your defensive stats. How you and others fail to make that connection shows your ignorance.

Air Force and Army are in the top 10 in total defense. Why do you think that is?

Two critical turnovers, 4/13 3rd down conversions, & the coach noting the “media timeouts” as a problem, but oh, Chin’s is the biggest problem???? Stop just stop.

Ball control offense, and winning the time of possession battle consistently is a huge factor in those two teams having great defense stats. Duh. That’s why Nebraska had great stats back in the day. We held onto the ball longer than 24 freaking minutes (like yesterday). We could win games where we scored on 17 points because we chewed the clock and made the game shorter. Kind of like what the Gophers did to us.
The offense you run will have a direct impact on your defensive stats. How you and others fail to make that connection shows your ignorance.

Air Force and Army are in the top 10 in total defense. Why do you think that is?

Two critical turnovers, 4/13 3rd down conversions, & the coach noting the “media timeouts” as a problem, but oh, Chin’s is the biggest problem???? Stop just stop.
How the heck are you going to play ball control if Chinander's defense can never get off the field on 3rd downs and consistently let teams drive the length of the field? Our TOP issues are at least as much to do with the defense as the offense.

Reactions: Gooniesneversaydie
How the heck are you going to play ball control if Chinander's defense can never get off the field on 3rd downs and consistently let teams drive the length of the field? Our TOP issues are at least as much to do with the defense as the offense.

At least as much? BS. Is it a factor? Sure. But being:

107th in 3rd down conversions,
tied for 94th in lost fumbles
Tied for 73rd in interceptions thrown
82nd in first downs
105th in scoring offense
Tied at 89 in turnovers lost

will kill your defense by the end of the game. Finish some damn drives and score points!
with those numbers you will be 112 in Time of possession.

How the hell do you expect the defense to get off the field with those offensive numbers?

Oh and by the way,Nebraska is 76 in scoring and 66 in total defense. Sounds better than the numbers above. Minnesota is 82 in scoring and 89 in total defense....worse than Nebraska in both. It is Chins fault Nebraska only scored 17 on them?

Keep trying?

At least as much? BS. Is it a factor? Sure. But being:

107th in 3rd down conversions,
tied for 94th in lost fumbles
Tied for 73rd in interceptions thrown
82nd in first downs
105th in scoring offense
Tied at 89 in turnovers lost

will kill your defense by the end of the game. Finish some damn drives and score points!
with those numbers you will be 112 in Time of possession.

How the hell do you expect the defense to get off the field with those offensive numbers?

Oh and by the way,Nebraska is 76 in scoring and 66 in total defense. Sounds better than the numbers above. Minnesota is 82 in scoring and 89 in total defense....worse than Nebraska in both. It is Chins fault Nebraska only scored 17 on them?

Keep trying?
Bragging about 76 in scoring defense is pretty pathetic.

Having our worst offensive numbers despite the pandemic since 2009 is really troublesome and I would love to be a sports writer asking Frost about this statistic tomorrow....

Reactions: newAD
Having our worst offensive numbers despite the pandemic since 2009 is really troublesome and I would love to be a sports writer asking Frost about this statistic tomorrow....

I’d get thrown out of the PC, if I were a sports writer. For the record, I want him to stay, but I want him to stop being what appears to be so stubborn.

The biggest difference I have noticed is that instead of dinking and dunking their way to big yards, teams now are getting a pretty sizeable amount of them on chunk plays. I'll take the latter over the former any day of the week.

So is failing to see the bigger problem. Fix the offensive numbers and the defensive ones will get better. Until that happens it won’t matter who our DC is.
Our offense was just as bad in 2009, yet our defense was ranked in the top 5. Maybe the defense is responsible for their own problems.

But they’ve had their chance to bring in their QB and this is what we’ve got
Should he have gone with what Riley left him, QBs without any experience? He gave Gebbia a chance. I don't think Frost thought he would have a very good record in year one because he had no experience in the QB room. In year two after starting 4-2, AM gets hurt and all Frost had behind him was virtually two walk-ons and a true freshman athlete (LM). He didn't have the luxury of a Tommy Armstrong or Bobby Newcomb or Joe Ganz to plug in like Riley, Solich and Pellini did respectively when they started their tenure.
He needs to have a chance to find a QB that fits his system really well before replacing him.

I’d get thrown out of the PC, if I were a sports writer. For the record, I want him to stay, but I want him to stop being what appears to be so stubborn.
What's your solution then. Get rid of Lubbick who's only been here 1 year? Put Frost on probation? Do you think this offense is going to get much better nexr year with the same coaching staff, and likely the same qb's as well?

I don't think Chins is great, but outside of 2 games (Ill & OSU) they have put us in a position to win. Our D is not the problem. Our QB's blow and we can't score.

He needs to have a chance to find a QB that fits his system really well before replacing him

He recruited AM and LM. Why would he recruit them if they don't "fit his system really well"?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT