ADVERTISEMENT

For those of you who think this is like the flu

Wife works near there at a inpatient facility. As a Dr she is worried, I have Never seen her worry. That is enough for me to isolate. She dresses and undresses in detached garage and puts clothes directly in 50 gal drum of hybiclense. Process that, as a Dr she wont even allow her shoes, socks, scrubs, or anything that has been at the hospital to enter been our home.

Wife works near there at a inpatient facility. As a Dr she is worried, I have Never seen her worry. That is enough for me to isolate. She dresses and undresses in detached garage and puts clothes directly in 50 gal drum of hybiclense. Process that, as a Dr she wont even allow her shoes, socks, scrubs, or anything that has been at the hospital to enter been our home.
Stay safe and careful. I still have neighbors hanging out drinking beers together. What was astounding is when the director of nursing said some patients went from no symptoms to death in 3 hours. This is not your normal virus

Stay safe and careful. I still have neighbors hanging out drinking beers together. What was astounding is when the director of nursing said some patients went from no symptoms to death in 3 hours. This is not your normal virus

That makes it even more scary when people have no symptoms and then boom it hits you with out any warning..

Makes me more scared to venture out to the grocery store..

Unfortunately my wife is not as fastidious in her precautions as yours. That said, so far we haven't had any positives in our community. That doesn't mean it isn't here though. It's just a matter of time. 37 Drs in Italy have died from COVID-19.

That makes it even more scary when people have no symptoms and then boom it hits you with out any warning..

Makes me more scared to venture out to the grocery store..
I believe that most of those situations where somebody dies that suddenly are where the person has severe underlying health concerns such as heart failure or A fib. It doesn't take much to decompensate an elderly person with health problems. That said, a completely otherwise healthy person can die suddenly if they develop a viral myocarditis form this deal. The last 2 times I've cold viruses I've developed PVCs. Kind of interesting when your heart fails to pump normally 2-3 out of every 4 beats.

Reactions: scarletred
I believe that most of those situations where somebody dies that suddenly are where the person has severe underlying health concerns such as heart failure or A fib. It doesn't take much to decompensate an elderly person with health problems. That said, a completely otherwise healthy person can die suddenly if they develop a viral myocarditis form this deal. The last 2 times I've cold viruses I've developed PVCs. Kind of interesting when your heart fails to pump normally 2-3 out of every 4 beats.
Yes I think obviously there were health issues to cause that fast of a reaction but I guess my point was I have not heard of the flu killing an elderly person in 3 hours with or without other health issues

Unfortunately my wife is not as fastidious in her precautions as yours. That said, so far we haven't had any positives in our community. That doesn't mean it isn't here though. It's just a matter of time. 37 Drs in Italy have died from COVID-19.

Do you know if Italy has that many doctors die of any one disease in such short order any other year? ;)

Do you know if Italy has that many doctors die of any one disease in such short order any other year? ;)
Before this deal, ZERO died from COVID-19. Sure Dr's die at roughly the same rate as other people. This deal is killing young otherwise healthy healthcare people. Yesterday I believe I read 2 young (<45) healthy nurses died from COVID-19. The death rate is much lower for young healthy folks but the vast majority of healthcare workers are between 40 and 65 and they're getting exposed to massive amounts of virus in some cases.

Last edited:
Social disancing doesnt work,imo It can last in the air for hours.
It can to some degree but the data they've collected thus far says that is not at all a significant source of new infections. As with most pathogens, there is a "minimum infective dose" needed to cause disease or incite an immune response. Generally speaking, you're not going to pick up the virus unless you're in an enclosed space or in close contact with someone who is shedding the virus.

Social distancing greatly reduces your chance of picking up or shedding the virus.

Social disancing doesnt work,imo It can last in the air for hours.
It works, but it’s hard when you some don’t comply and then go to work with others(even if those people are trying their best).

Most businesses in my town are trying, but there’s a few bars and restaurants that are trying to pull in everyone else’s business, and they will be a problem.

Same goes for “essential” places like NFM...

Reactions: jeans15
I think when this is all done we'll see we all overreacted. We're all going to get it eventually and living in fear is no way to live. Like Trump said, the treatment is worse than the virus. The flu is a corona virus and almost everyone will be ok. We should quarantine the immunocompromised and everyone else needs to get back to work and stop watching the news. Someones grandma or grandpa will die, just like every other illness but that isn't as bad as a good portion of the population losing their jobs, small and large businesses closing, and the economy going into a freefall.

I think when this is all done we'll see we all overreacted. We're all going to get it eventually and living in fear is no way to live. Like Trump said, the treatment is worse than the virus. The flu is a corona virus and almost everyone will be ok. We should quarantine the immunocompromised and everyone else needs to get back to work and stop watching the news. Someones grandma or grandpa will die, just like every other illness but that isn't as bad as a good portion of the population losing their jobs, small and large businesses closing, and the economy going into a freefall.

Really, disagree this is worse more then what you could even imagine..Maybe you should talk to a nurse or a doctor in a hospital before you make a statement that we’re overreacting.:mad:

It’s not just someone’s Grandparents, it could be a Father, a Mother, or a brother or a sister..o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: ADV1
spoken like a true selfish person, which much of our population is today. So it is acceptable as long it is not my age group, nice thought. Or how about older peoples lives are not as important as younger peoples lives, thats a good one

Our society has dropped a long way from valuing the elderly and protecting the most vulnerable to how many think today. Thank god you were not on the Titanic you would have been throwing the women off the boat

It can to some degree but the data they've collected thus far says that is not at all a

How many times does someone sneeze on soneone yet we have case after case. I doubt every case 8s from being sneezed on.

If tbats all it was we would not shut down the country.

Social distancing does not work.

The flu is the influenza virus, not a corona virus. I do think we will be able to mitigate the damage, because of the protective measures like social distancing and because science will come through, but that does not mean we over reacted.

You're going to get it just like any other flu/cold.I don't want to get it but I'm not cowering in my house while the economy dies. If you're in good health there is a very good chance you'll be OK. I'd rather be able to go to a bar this fall and watch a husker game than have it close permanently because we're afraid grandma will die.

If you're not in good health, on medications, have pre existing conditions you need to try to get your health better rather than sit in front of the tv being programmed to be afraid and obey. The worst to come of this is the economic impact. People die every day for all kinds of reasons and everyone here is going to die. You're more likely to die driving around than of the corona virus. Turn off the TV, get some exercise, eat better, take some vitamin c&d, and try not to stress over this.

I am shocked at how many people keep saying the Corona Virus is the Flu. Either completely misinformed or just ignorant. I can take a pretty good guess at which one it is.
It is unbelievable. In another thread, a poster is saying it is literally the common cold. It’s one thing to debate the unknown, but to just claim something is something it isn’t and repeat it over and over as fact is pretty mind numbing.

spoken like a true selfish person, which much of our population is today. So it is acceptable as long it is not my age group, nice thought. Or how about older peoples lives are not as important as younger peoples lives, thats a good one

Our society has dropped a long way from valuing the elderly and protecting the most vulnerable to how many think today. Thank god you were not on the Titanic you would have been throwing the women off the boat

I'm not sure what he/she said that was selfish... A lot of that is life. The more you age, the more susceptible you become to things. There is always going to be something that rips through the population whether it is Covid-19, the flu, etc.. Guess who normally has a harder time with it..... Yeah, the older population or people in bad health. The best thing that we can all do for ourselves is try to be the healthiest people we can be.

You're going to get it just like any other flu/cold.I don't want to get it but I'm not cowering in my house while the economy dies. If you're in good health there is a very good chance you'll be OK. I'd rather be able to go to a bar this fall and watch a husker game than have it close permanently because we're afraid grandma will die.

If you're not in good health, on medications, have pre existing conditions you need to try to get your health better than sit in front of the tv being programmed to be afraid and obey. The worst to come of this is the economic impact. People die every day for all kinds of reasons and everyone here is going to die. You're more likely to die driving around than of the corona virus. Turn off the TV, get some exercise, eat better, take some vitamin c&d, and try not to stress over this.

Are your parents alive? What happens if you had to care for one of them in your home at there age like 93 years old like my father...

Easy to talk living by yourself when your still too young to understand the consequences...

I am shocked at how many people keep saying the Corona Virus is the Flu. Either completely misinformed or just ignorant. I can take a pretty good guess at which one it is.

You can compare aspects of it with the flu like you could any other disease like infection rates, mortality rates, etc.. I see many doctors comparing many of the symptoms to flu symptoms. You are referring to the more serious conditions this virus causes and I see few people dispute that and state it is just like the flu.

It is unbelievable. In another thread, a poster is saying it is literally the common cold. It’s one thing to debate the unknown, but to just claim something is something it isn’t and repeat it over and over as fact is pretty mind numbing.

I get what you are saying, but here are the symptoms of the common cold

• Runny or stuffy nose
  • Sore throat
  • Cough
  • Congestion
  • Slight body aches or a mild headache
  • Sneezing
  • Low-grade fever
  • Generally feeling unwell (malaise)

A lot of folks are experiencing just these symptoms or very few at all. I agree it's not correct calling it a common cold, but it isn't hard to see why people are relating this to a common cold.....

If you're not in good health, on medications, have pre existing conditions you need to try to get your health better rather than sit in front of the tv being programmed to be afraid and obey. The worst to come of this is the economic impact. People die every day for all kinds of reasons and everyone here is going to die. You're more likely to die driving around than of the corona virus. Turn off the TV, get some exercise, eat better, take some vitamin c&d, and try not to stress over this.
I really do not want to insult you or anything but all I hear Me,Me, Me - go out get drunk and watch a game then infect your grandmother. When she is in the hospital dying ask her then if she is ok with that and then ask yourself if you can live with that

I really do not want to insult you or anything but all I hear Me,Me, Me - go out get drunk and watch a game then infect your grandmother. When she is in the hospital dying ask her then if she is ok with that and then ask yourself if you can live with that

He wont ge o ask them be ayse they won't let you see them and she will die alone with strangers.

I'm not sure what he/she said that was selfish... A lot of that is life. The more you age, the more susceptible you become to things. There is always going to be something that rips through the population whether it is Covid-19, the flu, etc.. Guess who normally has a harder time with it..... Yeah, the older population or people in bad health. The best thing that we can all do for ourselves is try to be the healthiest people we can be.
If you kill someone with a virus that they have no immunities to. Who's fault is that? the person who is at risk, or you because you got infected not taking it serious enough. Its not life when your actions result in the death of another - that is not called normal its called something else

Hmmm, so everyone should cower in fear of the terrible virus thats a little worse than the flu so YOU can be ok and SMALL & LARGE BUSINESSES ALL OVER THE WORLD CLOSE. I guarantee people are going to lose their jobs and homes due to all this. That is far worse than the potential of losing someone's grandma. My mother is in her 70's and she's still going out, I went to go visit her yesterday and she laughed about this whole thing and said everyone dies.
There's always going to be other viruses coming out. Swine flu, bird flu, zika etc. The media is always looking for ways to scare us to control us.

Reactions: bshirt73
Hmmm, so everyone should cower in fear of the terrible virus thats a little worse than the flu so YOU can be ok and SMALL & LARGE BUSINESSES ALL OVER THE WORLD CLOSE. I guarantee people are going to lose their jobs and homes due to all this. That is far worse than the potential of losing someone's grandma. My mother is in her 70's and she's still going out, I went to go visit her yesterday and she laughed about this whole thing and said everyone dies.
There's always going to be other viruses coming out. Swine flu, bird flu, zika etc. The media is always looking for ways to scare us to control us.

Exactly..people dont lose Trillions of dollars for nothing.

This spreads easy as hell. Young people make up 40% of the cases 20-56.

I'm not ready to die because of your finances

I call Bull $&it to this, the reason why my father is staying with me is because assistant living place would not let me go see him because of the Corona virus after my mother’s death he has been staying with me..

I still have to go out and get groceries like anyone else but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t bring something in with me affecting his bronchial issues..

Your mother most not live in assistant living or a nursing home other wise you wouldn’t be able to visit her like you said, because they’re not allowing people outside to visit...

ya were all going to die but not being responsible enough is your down fall.

How many times does someone sneeze on soneone yet we have case after case. I doubt every case 8s from being sneezed on.

If tbats all it was we would not shut down the country.

Social distancing does not work.
It does work but it depends on the degree to which the population adheres to it (which has been disappointing in many places). There is evidence of the effectiveness of social distancing beginning to emerge in places like New York and California. Mathematical simulations show that it can be quite effective. I will grant you that it is true that social distancing won't keep you from getting it eventually. The purpose is to "flatten the exponential curve" so that hospitals, health care professionals on the front line, and the availability of life saving equipment like ventilators are not completely overwhelmed. This is not one battle and it is over. This is a siege until a vaccine is widely available.

It does work but it depends on the degree to which the population adheres to it (which has been disappointing in many place). There is evidence of the effectiveness of social distancing beginning to emerge in places like New York and California. Mathematical simulations show that it can be quite effective. I will grant you that it is true that social distancing won't keep you from getting it eventually. The purpose is to "flatten the exponential curve" so that hospitals, health care professionals on the front line, and the availability of life saving equipment like ventilators are not completely overwhelmed. This is not one battle and it is over. This is a siege until a vaccine is widely available.

Staying at home is only thing that works.

Social distancing does not guarantee you wont get the virus. A doctor today stated you could walk into someone else's air after standing 6ft from them. A sneeze can travel 10ft before it falls out the air. It can stay in the air in aerosol form for 3 hours.

It's a good practice but you still can get it. People are not in direct contact with everyone they get if from.

Stay home.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
I call Bull $&it to this, the reason why my father is staying with me is because assistant living place would not let me go see him because of the Corona virus after my mother’s death he has been staying with me..

I still have to go out and get groceries like anyone else but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t bring something in with me affecting his bronchial issues..

Your mother most not live in assistant living or a nursing home other wise you wouldn’t be able to visit her like you said, because they’re not allowing people outside to visit...

ya were all going to die but not being responsible enough is your down fall.
That is what I don't understand from the people that are just shaking off this virus as nothing more than a cold or flu. Everyone has a social responsibility to be cautious with this.

I am no medical expert but I do listen to the experts on this that everyone has a social responsibility to this. It just amazes me the people on a message board that think they know better. They will be the same people that makes this pandemic worse than it needs to be.

ADVERTISEMENT