ADVERTISEMENT

For all those who hate the idea of an extra pass blocker and only 4 WR

Do you have an opinion on putting big body in at FB on short yardage situations?

It's all about doing what it takes to win.
It should be a rare occurrence Nebraska ever goes into a 4 or 5 WR formation. Less than 3% of all plays in a game should be out of that. Most plays for Nebraska should have a lead blocker with a TE/FB/HB, zone or gap blocking where the OL is driving back the DL on rushing plays and not the stupid shit Scott Frost does.

Run the ****ing football, use option plays, use two TE's often, be physical and pound and pound with the rushing attack.

It should be a rare occurrence Nebraska ever goes into a 4 or 5 WR formation. Less than 3% of all plays in a game should be out of that. Most plays for Nebraska should have a lead blocker with a TE/FB/HB, zone or gap blocking where the OL is driving back the DL on rushing plays and not the stupid shit Scott Frost does.

Run the ****ing football, use option plays, use two TE's often, be physical and pound and pound with the rushing attack.
You have to have an OL that is capable of doing so...we also don't have a FB on this team that I'm aware of.

You have to have an OL that is capable of doing so...we also don't have a FB on this team that I'm aware of.
I would have suggested Garrett Nelson a few years ago before he proved he is more valuable on defense.

I Would Absolutely LOVE to see Yant come in at FB!
Yep. And you don't even have to have an official FB in a formation to use someone as a lead blocker.

The biggest reason why teams like Iowa and Wisconsin are able to have the success they have is due to the physical nature of how they run the football. Not many teams out there these days are able to be physical enough on defense to stop it.

Reactions: Anegada1
The moment that I would argue that Scott Frost finally gets it is when he puts 4 OL to either side of the center and also includes a TE on the same side and uses a lead blocker to that side with an option play.

Reactions: huntered
Do you have an opinion on putting big body in at FB on short yardage situations?

It's all about doing what it takes to win.
Didn't we run Deontre out there as a lead blocker on a short yardage goal line run against Buffalo? I swore I heard that in the first half against Buffalo. That still leaves the option open of play action to a TE sneaking out in the flat.

Yep. And you don't even have to have an official FB in a formation to use someone as a lead blocker.

The biggest reason why teams like Iowa and Wisconsin are able to have the success they have is due to the physical nature of how they run the football. Not many teams out there these days are able to be physical enough on defense to stop it.
I’d like 21 formation. 2 wr, 2 te, 1 rb

I’d like 21 formation. 2 wr, 2 te, 1 rb
The fact that both of our TEs block and catch is a feature NU needs in the B1G. Get your best personnel on the field for the situation at hand.

I don’t recall seeing Iowa or Wisconsin in the playoffs

I like a 300 pound guy lead blocking and I think he's more athletic than any of our O linemen so there is that too. Hell run him out there on third and 5 some time and watch the defense call time out and switch personnel.
Damian Jackson was also a “breacher” in the military, and I’d love to see him opening some holes for the RB’s to follow.

Damian Jackson was also a “breacher” in the military, and I’d love to see him opening some holes for the RB’s to follow.
I suggested that a day or so ago. Him and hammerhead Garrett Nelson. NU really needs to ramp up the lack of physical play of the OL. Once the defense knows there is a physical aspect to this offense, it slowly starts to open things up on offense.

Reactions: HominidHusker
The moment that I would argue that Scott Frost finally gets it is when he puts 4 OL to either side of the center and also includes a TE on the same side and uses a lead blocker to that side with an option play.
You likely would be better to bootleg AM to the weak side and hope he can break something long.

What the heck is "gap blocking"? How do you block a gap? You never did answer my question about your "shield" and "zone" blocking rants. Clueless

A 4 receiver set is overkill IMO.

When a QB doesn’t look at more than one or maybe two receivers why have 4?

extra blocker? that doesn't sound pass happy...
why can't everyone just go out for a bomb???

What the heck is "gap blocking"? How do you block a gap? You never did answer my question about your "shield" and "zone" blocking rants. Clueless

Shield is not the same as zone blocking based on what you want the OL do to the defender. For example, Iowa zone blocks but is taught to drive the defender back.

Shield is not the same as zone blocking based on what you want the OL do to the defender. For example, Iowa zone blocks but is taught to drive the defender back.
Well duh. Now answer the questions I asked based on what you stated. What is a "shield" block?
What is "gap" blocking?

I know what zone blocking is, never heard these terms. Explain, if you can.

Last edited:
Well duh. Now answer the questions I asked based on what you stated. What us a "shield" block?
What is "gap" blocking?

I know what zone blocking is, never heard these terms. Explain, if you can.
I think "shield" blocking is something Frost and Austin invented.RollingLaugh

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT