ADVERTISEMENT

Football still making boatloads

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
LINCOLN — In case you’re ever curious why so much print and digital ink is spilled over Nebraska football, you can consider the history of the program — the national titles won, the trophies amassed — or you can chew on a dollar figure.
Last fiscal year, Husker football made $97,900,681. That’s according to the annual report NU sends to the NCAA in December. Reporters get the data in mid-January. Nebraska athletics had a terrific financial year between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022, making more than $143 million in overall revenue and netting a $12,241,993 surplus compared to expenses.
Husker football itself made more than $62 million in surplus. The World-Herald will have more in-depth coverage soon on how money and college sports are more intertwined than ever, but the basic figures tell you what we’ve long known.

The pigskin is a cash cow.

You're doing the Lord's work, my friend!
tenor.gif

I'd like to know what NU Volleyball brings in? I read last year, that the program is one of the only women's programs that is profitable; nationwide.
The last published financials I could find showed NU Volleyball made $4.21 million in revenue for the 2019 season with around 65% of that ticket sales and seat donations. Expenses were $3.99M. More than half of those were Cook's salary and benefits at over $800K and another $1.3M for the other coaches and staff salaries and benefits. So they turned a profit of around $212K.

It’s pretty sad to think that one of them (Milli Vanili) took their life over being ridiculed for lip syncing, when famous artists do this to some version at major events like the SB..
I agree, it’s sad when anyone takes their life, but my recollection is that the songs were performed by someone else entirely, they never lent their voices to the songs. A bit different than lip syncing your own songs.

That being said, still sad that one of them spiraled the way he did that led him to take his life.

Almost makes you wonder why you invest in trying to get better when you can suck snd pull in so much profit
Well, exactly Redmich! If in the last 20 yrs or so, if the money dried up from the various sources, the right changes would have taken by those in charge! Is there a straight line of those in charge that we know during this period of time. I don't know the future in wins & losses, but at least we have a Coach Rhule, who can build a better football organization and team! Now, the same with the basketball situation, Fred is not the answer! He flip, flops back and forth on how to build a team!! Hopefully Trev can do something!

LINCOLN — In case you’re ever curious why so much print and digital ink is spilled over Nebraska football, you can consider the history of the program — the national titles won, the trophies amassed — or you can chew on a dollar figure.
Last fiscal year, Husker football made $97,900,681. That’s according to the annual report NU sends to the NCAA in December. Reporters get the data in mid-January. Nebraska athletics had a terrific financial year between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022, making more than $143 million in overall revenue and netting a $12,241,993 surplus compared to expenses.
Husker football itself made more than $62 million in surplus. The World-Herald will have more in-depth coverage soon on how money and college sports are more intertwined than ever, but the basic figures tell you what we’ve long known.

The pigskin is a cash cow.
Your word choice is interesting but misleading. When you write football made $97 million, that would suggest that it cleared that much over expenses, which is of course wrong, revenue does not equal profit.

Also, netting $12 million is noteworthy but certainly not top tier amongst its peers. It's not even close. But yes, football is the bell cow at N and other P5s, sans Duke and Ku.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT