ADVERTISEMENT

Football culture

Red I 73

All-American
Nov 25, 2007
West Des Moines, Iowa
Does this look like the year we finally see a reset? Seems like on the defensive side with the return of the seniors and Taylor Britt that we finally have upper class leadership on one side of the ball kind of like when we had Grant and the boys. The departure of Luke and Robinson seems like a plus. When they came in as freshmen it seemed like they were the shining stars in their
eyes. I can imagine how that set with the upper classmen. Maybe the young ol starting together this year will create team leadership on that side of the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
I like the message that practices are "slowing down" on offense. The idea of high reps and then correcting the errors in the film room or Zoom sessions was a bad idea to begin with and that has consistently proven true on the field. Seems like the only consistent thing about this offense is stupid mistakes. I like hearing that they are going to try teach a more physical brand of football. It's stupid to limit the hitting as much as they apparently do and pile up losing seasons. When you win four games a year and don't have anyone getting drafted, the priority should be practicing hard and physical. But talk is cheap. They have to carry that approach through the fall for it to produce results.

Feels like the same questions we asked when they brought in Grant and Jason to cuss and spit at the kids in a meeting and we were like "YEAH, WOO THE CULTURE IS BACK BABY OL 55 AIN'T GONNA LET EM BE A BUNCHA SISSIES ANY MORE!!!"

The stuff this time of year is just the bottom of the barrel of sports journalism IMO, the puff pieces about how the boys grilled burgers and watched movies together in the offseason and they've "never been closer." That's lovely, I'm glad they have good friends but it's not really relevant to whether they win any football games. Sorta need to be really good at football for that part.

The culture that needs to change is the coaching culture of "I'm gonna call the cutest shit I can think of when what we need is an ugly, boring 2 yard touchdown run from our 225 lb back." As though you get 9 points instead of 7 for being clever about it. They're making the right noises about running the ball, we'll see if it translates on Saturdays.

The biggest thing going in their favor is they're reducing the percentage of their two-deep that is 18 and 19 years old.

Feels like the same questions we asked when they brought in Grant and Jason to cuss and spit at the kids in a meeting and we were like "YEAH, WOO THE CULTURE IS BACK BABY OL 55 AIN'T GONNA LET EM BE A BUNCHA SISSIES ANY MORE!!!"

The stuff this time of year is just the bottom of the barrel of sports journalism IMO, the puff pieces about how the boys grilled burgers and watched movies together in the offseason and they've "never been closer." That's lovely, I'm glad they have good friends but it's not really relevant to whether they win any football games. Sorta need to be really good at football for that part.

The culture that needs to change is the coaching culture of "I'm gonna call the cutest shit I can think of when what we need is an ugly, boring 2 yard touchdown run from our 225 lb back." As though you get 9 points instead of 7 for being clever about it. They're making the right noises about running the ball, we'll see if it translates on Saturdays.

The biggest thing going in their favor is they're reducing the percentage of their two-deep that is 18 and 19 years old.
Very important. Can't preach physical football then call pretty toss plays at the goal line and get stuffed.

I feel like culture is not something u talk about when ur having success. Hope we hear that word very little next season. Especially if it’s an excuse.
Does this look like the year we finally see a reset? Seems like on the defensive side with the return of the seniors and Taylor Britt that we finally have upper class leadership on one side of the ball kind of like when we had Grant and the boys. The departure of Luke and Robinson seems like a plus. When they came in as freshmen it seemed like they were the shining stars in their
eyes. I can imagine how that set with the upper classmen. Maybe the young ol starting together this year will create team leadership on that side of the ball.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT