ADVERTISEMENT

Fong bomb!

It’s not surprising that an 18 year old would rather spend the next four years of his life in Minneapolis than Lincoln. I’m sorry but there’s no comparison between the two cities.

In Minneapolis, I had a homeless guy sit down at my table, call the waitress a **** when she told him to leave, and then run through the building when the police came ten minutes later. We were then advised to get an uber back to the hotel instead of taking the mile walk because it was too dangerous.

Since we are on the subject of pee J fleck: one of the funniest things I have seen on a football field was watching him get ushered off the field after a failed 4th down attempt. Ive always imagined the ref was saying "Sir you are a football coach not a doctor, go sit your a$$ down"

AR-191119620.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

Or the top 4 in state players if the other Minnesota fan is correct.

Don’t pretend that losing the top 4 in state players to rival schools isn’t a big deal. Those who are closest to Minnesota and Fleck are choosing to go elsewhere, even after 11-2... why is that? There’s something different about PJ. Just admit it. I’m not saying he’s worse than Sandusky or anything, but more than a few think he’s off.

Not saying he can’t coach. He obviously can. And he has been getting good recruits outside of Minnesota, so that’s not the issue either. But when all of the top talent instate chooses to go elsewhere, that says something about what they think of PJ, whether you want to admit it or not.

3 years he’s been at Minnesota, and this will be year 4. How many times has he gotten the top instate player to stay at home in 4 years? What do instate players know that out of state players don’t know?

Don’t bury your head in the sand, just admit that the dude is off a bit. You’ll actually be treated better here if you do, and not like a blind homer from another board.

To be fair, recruits choosing to go elsewhere isn't entirely due to the fact that pj is a straight up weirdo. Many people in mn don't hold the U of M athletic department in very high regard.

In Minneapolis, I had a homeless guy sit down at my table, call the waitress a **** when she told him to leave, and then run through the building when the police came ten minutes later. We were then advised to get an uber back to the hotel instead of taking the mile walk because it was too dangerous.
A frozen paradise.

Reactions: red scowl
In terms of highly recruited in-state kids who we really wanted badly, Iowa and Notre Dame are the only schools to out-recruit Nebraska when we were still more walk than talk. Missouri and Kansas got one each back in the 70's. I may be forgetting some.

This Minnesota thing is a shocker, but maybe Minnesota is the next Iowa? A program with enough going for it that they feel confident enough to recruit in Nebraska without the overwhelming feeling that they are wasting their time and resources.
Well, given the current wretched state of Husker football I would wager than any program can come into Nebraska with a reasonable hope of drawing talent away from Lincoln. Our program is a shadow of its former self and still unstable, our facilities are mediocre, the University is academically below average, Lincoln is nice but nothing special, we do not put players into the NFL in any significant numbers, and we have had three losing seasons in a row. The only thing we still have going for us is the rabid fan support which gives us a great game day atmosphere, and a nice trophy case kids can look at - - kids who were born long after our glory days and for whom our trophies might as well be from the 50's.

It is imperative that Frost turns things around THIS year. We need to win damn it. Badly. Another losing season would pretty much doom us to several more years of mediocrity. Frost is safe and will get his 7 years. But it may take all 7 just to get us back to respectable rather than awful. The new facilities are key. But our recruiting will really start to slide unless we put something together this year that shows we are improving. Because right now our program really isn't any better than the program at Minnesota. Or Purdue. Or just just about any B1G team not named Rutgers or Maryland.

So it seems Fleck’s best option is to recruit kids that have never seen Minny’s campus.
Or that haven’t been
Well, given the current wretched state of Husker football I would wager than any program can come into Nebraska with a reasonable hope of drawing talent away from Lincoln. Our program is a shadow of its former self and still unstable, our facilities are mediocre, the University is academically below average, Lincoln is nice but nothing special, we do not put players into the NFL in any significant numbers, and we have had three losing seasons in a row. The only thing we still have going for us is the rabid fan support which gives us a great game day atmosphere, and a nice trophy case kids can look at - - kids who were born long after our glory days and for whom our trophies might as well be from the 50's.

It is imperative that Frost turns things around THIS year. We need to win damn it. Badly. Another losing season would pretty much doom us to several more years of mediocrity. Frost is safe and will get his 7 years. But it may take all 7 just to get us back to respectable rather than awful. The new facilities are key. But our recruiting will really start to slide unless we put something together this year that shows we are improving. Because right now our program really isn't any better than the program at Minnesota. Or Purdue. Or just just about any B1G team not named Rutgers or Maryland.
Harsh, but basically true. The only thing I would question is whether Frost would get the full seven years if things don't improve after five years.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
In terms of highly recruited in-state kids who we really wanted badly, Iowa and Notre Dame are the only schools to out-recruit Nebraska when we were still more walk than talk. Missouri and Kansas got one each back in the 70's. I may be forgetting some.

This Minnesota thing is a shocker, but maybe Minnesota is the next Iowa? A program with enough going for it that they feel confident enough to recruit in Nebraska without the overwhelming feeling that they are wasting their time and resources.

What time frame do you consider more walk than talk? I know ND beat us out for guys like Ridder and Goode in our hay day, but who in the world did Iowa beat us out for? They did a great job with guys like Ott, Fisher and Bazata that we didn’t recruit in the Pelini days. Did a great job with Prater, who we only token recruited and Fant that we lightly recruited, as a DE. But I really can’t think of a high profile in-state guy we have lost to Iowa.

A couple random in state losses in recent years that come to mind are. Harrison Phillips to Stanford and Harlan Gunn to Miami.

Reactions: red scowl
Since we are on the subject of pee J fleck: one of the funniest things I have seen on a football field was watching him get ushered off the field after a failed 4th down attempt. Ive always imagined the ref was saying "Sir you are a football coach not a doctor, go sit your a$$ down"

AR-191119620.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

This literally lost the game for Minnesota against iowa..

Damn I hope you are right! But I am in total "refuse the koolaid" mode right now. After 20 years of this shit I need to see it on the field. If freaking PJ Fleck can go 11-2 then why the hell can't we? I know he had an easy schedule last year. So did we. I wasn't expecting us to be world beaters last year but 5-7?? Time for Frost to put up or shut up.
Ditto!

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
They didn't make the first down on the play no matter what. Watching a grown man react like a giant baby because a lineman stayed on the turf an extra minute was just icing on the cake.
Actually he was lying on the turf for an extra few seconds. By the time PJ raced to him in 4.4 40 yard dash seconds, his player was not only fine, he was standing and walking around.

PJ’s press conference he said he was lying motionless on the ground.

uh, no. He was walking around.

Actually he was lying on the turf for an extra few seconds. By the time PJ raced to him in 4.4 40 yard dash seconds, his player was not only fine, he was standing and walking around.

PJ’s press conference he said he was lying motionless on the ground.

uh, no. He was walking around.
He was so excited to get to go play the concerned protector...... and then realized he peed his pants in front of 70k. It.was.great.

Reactions: timnsun
They didn't make the first down on the play no matter what. Watching a grown man react like a giant baby because a lineman stayed on the turf an extra minute was just icing on the cake.

No your wrong it was a unsportsmanlike penalty on Iowa which would have made it a automatic first down inside the 3 yard line for Minny, and then Fleck ran out and returned the favor which gave Iowa the ball...

You’re way off base my friend..

No your wrong it was a unsportsmanlike penalty on Iowa which would have made it a automatic first down inside the 3 yard line for Minny, and then Fleck ran out and returned the favor which gave Iowa the ball...

Actually you’re dead wrong. The penalty on Iowa was a dead ball foul after the play and it would not have given Minnesota a first down. It was Iowa’s ball regardless.

Living here in Minnesota they hashed it out every which way, and every time, they said what PJ did didn’t matter, because the refs called it a dead ball foul. It happened after the play was over and the change of possession had already occurred.

I’m not sure that I agree with the call, but the way it was called was after the play so either way, Iowa ball.

I would have been happier if fleck’s antics would have given the ball back to Iowa, but it wouldn’t have mattered in this instance.

Living here in Minnesota they hashed it out every which way, and every time, they said what PJ did didn’t matter, because the refs called it a dead ball foul. It happened after the play was over and the change of possession had already occurred.

I’m not sure that I agree with the call, but the way it was called was after the play so either way, Iowa ball.

I would have been happier if fleck’s antics would have given the ball back to Iowa, but it wouldn’t have mattered in this instance.

Gotcha..

Or the top 4 in state players if the other Minnesota fan is correct.

Don’t pretend that losing the top 4 in state players to rival schools isn’t a big deal. Those who are closest to Minnesota and Fleck are choosing to go elsewhere, even after 11-2... why is that? There’s something different about PJ. Just admit it. I’m not saying he’s worse than Sandusky or anything, but more than a few think he’s off.

Not saying he can’t coach. He obviously can. And he has been getting good recruits outside of Minnesota, so that’s not the issue either. But when all of the top talent instate chooses to go elsewhere, that says something about what they think of PJ, whether you want to admit it or not.

3 years he’s been at Minnesota, and this will be year 4. How many times has he gotten the top instate player to stay at home in 4 years? What do instate players know that out of state players don’t know?

Don’t bury your head in the sand, just admit that the dude is off a bit. You’ll actually be treated better here if you do, and not like a blind homer from another board.

One of the player committed to Wisconsin is from lakeville. One committed to Iowa was born in iowa. One uncommitted name Jake is committed to gophers hockey, not a Wisconsin lean. Bastian s who is committed to call, isn't Minnesota top player. He's a 3 star who committed to call because fleck told him he has to camp for an offer

I've been borderline OCD about Gopher football recruiting for 35 years and can tell you the truth lies somewhere between Laurentdalmeida and timsun. The pattern of top MN prospects going out of state is nothing new and has absolutely nothing to do with PJ. However . . . it has not gotten any better under PJ.

An earlier post nailed it. Minnesotans in general have a very low opinion of the U of M athlethic department. This is deeply ingrained in Minnesota athletes, almost like original sin or Catholic guilt or something. Going to the state school is extremely uncool unless you're a hockey player. Since the 80's, the top MN kids have almost always gone somewhere else for football (and basketball) and that pattern has been unchanged under Gutekunst, Wacker, Mason, Brewster, Kill and Fleck.

Sadly, the regents and faculty at the University of Minnesota have openly despised athletics since the days of Lou Holtz. For whatever reason, the notion that athletics are part of the school "brand" just isn't embraced here like it is at places like Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. Sports are considered vulgar and a necessary evil for the university, not something to support or invest in.

We've also had the misfortune of several local sportswriters who have literally made their careers out of trashing the University while slobbering over the local professional franchises. You can't imagine what it's like to be a college sports fan in a town that also has the Vikings, Twins, TWolves and Wild. The media (and thus, the fans) thinks pro sports are the only game in town and laugh at the idea of supporting the college game.

I will say I've seen two things in the last year that give me a tiny bit of hope that this might change someday. The fan reaction before, during and after the Penn State game was unlike anything I've seen since my first Gopher game in 1972. They've beaten Top 10 teams many times over the years but the local press and fan base always dismissed it as a fluke -- which it usually was. Not this time. People actually recognized that something might possibly be different with this team. Same thing after the Auburn game.

The University also has a new President and she has been extremely vocal about the role athletics play in marketing the school and securing donor support. Maybe the combination of a competent FB coach and school administration that doesn't resent him might lead to better things in the future. A guy can dream, anyway.

I've been borderline OCD about Gopher football recruiting for 35 years and can tell you the truth lies somewhere between Laurentdalmeida and timsun. The pattern of top MN prospects going out of state is nothing new and has absolutely nothing to do with PJ. However . . . it has not gotten any better under PJ.

An earlier post nailed it. Minnesotans in general have a very low opinion of the U of M athlethic department. This is deeply ingrained in Minnesota athletes, almost like original sin or Catholic guilt or something. Going to the state school is extremely uncool unless you're a hockey player. Since the 80's, the top MN kids have almost always gone somewhere else for football (and basketball) and that pattern has been unchanged under Gutekunst, Wacker, Mason, Brewster, Kill and Fleck.

Sadly, the regents and faculty at the University of Minnesota have openly despised athletics since the days of Lou Holtz. For whatever reason, the notion that athletics are part of the school "brand" just isn't embraced here like it is at places like Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio State, etc. Sports are considered vulgar and a necessary evil for the university, not something to support or invest in.

We've also had the misfortune of several local sportswriters who have literally made their careers out of trashing the University while slobbering over the local professional franchises. You can't imagine what it's like to be a college sports fan in a town that also has the Vikings, Twins, TWolves and Wild. The media (and thus, the fans) thinks pro sports are the only game in town and laugh at the idea of supporting the college game.

I will say I've seen two things in the last year that give me a tiny bit of hope that this might change someday. The fan reaction before, during and after the Penn State game was unlike anything I've seen since my first Gopher game in 1972. They've beaten Top 10 teams many times over the years but the local press and fan base always dismissed it as a fluke -- which it usually was. Not this time. People actually recognized that something might possibly be different with this team. Same thing after the Auburn game.

The University also has a new President and she has been extremely vocal about the role athletics play in marketing the school and securing donor support. Maybe the combination of a competent FB coach and school administration that doesn't resent him might lead to better things in the future. A guy can dream, anyway.
I think most Nebraska fans appreciate the job that Fleck did last year and would tip their cap to him. At the same time, I think most of those fans would say that he is one creepy dude.

I think most Nebraska fans appreciate the job that Fleck did last year and would tip their cap to him. At the same time, I think most of those fans would say that he is one creepy dude.

Not, only non gophers fans & rivals think this. If you ever met fleck, heard his story , you would know why he's so energetic. Energetic doesn't mean creepy. It's beyond ridiculous to say he's creepy

You might think he’s creepy(which I don’t get at all) but he’s a fantastic college football coach who relates to his players as good or better than any coach in the country. I knew somehow he would turn this quarantine lemon into lemonade, he’s just that creative and innovative. Sure enough he comes up with these virtual visits which have been a huge part of landing two 4 star recruits in a week. He currently has the #7 class in the country per 247. Bottom line, I couldn’t care less if opposing fans think he’s “creepy.”

This is a real kick in the nuts. But we have lost kids out of Omaha before, even during the Osborne years.

This just underscores though that the hype surrounding Frost has begun to wear out. Frost, I am sure, understands that after two losing seasons he MUST turn the ship around this year. All excuses are out the door. No more talk of “bad apples” and “poor conditioning/work ethic”. This is now Frost’s team. Another year of sloppy, undisciplined play, wretched special teams, soft defense, and wildly inconsistent offense will torpedo everything.

Personally, I have never been this pessimistic about the future of Husker football. We have a brutal schedule this year with a green defensive line, and very few difference makers on offense outside of Wandale. We will be lucky to go 6-6 this year.

My apologies for being so pessimistic. But that is my honest take.

Frost should have done better in both his first two years. No more excuses.

You might think he’s creepy(which I don’t get at all) but he’s a fantastic college football coach who relates to his players as good or better than any coach in the country. I knew somehow he would turn this quarantine lemon into lemonade, he’s just that creative and innovative. Sure enough he comes up with these virtual visits which have been a huge part of landing two 4 star recruits in a week. He currently has the #7 class in the country per 247. Bottom line, I couldn’t care less if opposing fans think he’s “creepy.”

It's ok. There there. Tell me where he touched you.

Seems like you care.

Minnesota is hot right now.. does anyone think PJ stays there long term? I doubt it, odds are good for another year or two and then he's prob gone.

I'm already curious if Urban is looking for a new challenge. (not for Minny job)

Minnesota is hot right now.. does anyone think PJ stays there long term? I doubt it, odds are good for another year or two and then he's prob gone.

I'm already curious if Urban is looking for a new challenge. (not for Minny job)
I agree about Fleck, and definitely think Urban will be coaching again soon.

USC, Notre Dame if Kelly has a down season, seem almost too obvious.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I agree about Fleck, and definitely think Urban will be coaching again soon.

USC, Notre Dame if Kelly has a down season, seem almost too obvious.

Fleck signed a 7 years contract extension. He also isn't leaving Minnesota if a school doesn't allow him to bring the RTB with him as it's very important to him. It was a big part of getting over the death of a one of his kid.

Fleck signed a 7 years contract extension. He also isn't leaving Minnesota if a school doesn't allow him to bring the RTB with him as it's very important to him. It was a big part of getting over the death of a one of his kid.
That’s nice about the extension and all... I’m trying to remember the last time a coach signed a big extension and left anyway because of a more prestigious school. That stuff never happens. No way.

So yeah, you’re right... he’s locked up for the next 7 years, guaranteed! I bet you were convinced that Saban wasn’t leaving the dolphins for Alabama 13 years ago, am I right?

That’s nice about the extension and all... I’m trying to remember the last time a coach signed a big extension and left anyway because of a more prestigious school. That stuff never happens. No way.

So yeah, you’re right... he’s locked up for the next 7 years, guaranteed! I bet you were convinced that Saban wasn’t leaving the dolphins for Alabama 13 years ago, am I right?

Did you just forget about the RTB part I mentioned Read the whole thing before commenting. Before he was hired by university of Minnesota & Oregon hired Mario, he turned down Oregon because they wouldn't let him bring with his RTB motto.

Could be.. but I had another school in mind. Prob best to leave that one alone for now.
If you are referring to Nebraska, that's not happening soon, if at all. Even if it were to happen, I hope that we wouldn't hire Fleck,

Did you just forget about the RTB part I mentioned Read the whole thing before commenting. Before he was hired by university of Minnesota & Oregon hired Mario, he turned down Oregon because they wouldn't let him bring with his RTB motto.
Oh I read it, and it makes me laugh that you think #RTB keeps him in Minnie because no one else will allow it... how old are you, 7? If he puts together another top ten season, he will have multiple offers from high quality programs. You can do just about anything as long as you win.

Other schools will let him do his Schtick.

Now about that 7 year contract... is that contract unbreakable? Because you sure are convinced that because of RTB and a 7 year contract, he’s going nowhere. Let me tell you... Minnesota is not the pinnacle of college football. And before you say neither is Nebraska, no duh.

You seem gullible. Nebraska is keeping Frost for the foreseeable future and if the two part ways, Nebraska wouldn’t go after Fleck. But make to mistake, PJ Fleck would leave Minnesota for Nebraska in a heartbeat, if given the chance.

Haha, fleck leave Minnesota for Nebraska? Good one. Good one. Fleck & his wife have stated over & over how they want to be in a sports state like Minnesota & live close to a lake like they are.

You made my night with this laughable comment. Fleck will never leave Minnesota for Nebraska . Nebraska isn't a sports state or has a big city like Minneapolis or a professional franchises such as Vikings or moa which is big to recruiting.

Oh I read it, and it makes me laugh that you think #RTB keeps him in Minnie because no one else will allow it... how old are you, 7? If he puts together another top ten season, he will have multiple offers from high quality programs. You can do just about anything as long as you win.

Other schools will let him do his Schtick.

Now about that 7 year contract... is that contract unbreakable? Because you sure are convinced that because of RTB and a 7 year contract, he’s going nowhere. Let me tell you... Minnesota is not the pinnacle of college football. And before you say neither is Nebraska, no duh.

He has consistently stated he would never leave his RTB behind for Any school. The RTB played a big part in his life after the death of his children. Oregon wouldn't let fleck, what makes you think schools like Michigan or Notre dame will?

ADVERTISEMENT