ADVERTISEMENT

Fong bomb!

What really sucks is he should be at the spring game today. If we were having that, no way he commits somewhere else yesterday, in fact, probably a good chance he commits here this weekend. Oh well, Coach Fish will bring in dudes.
IF I were a kid being recruited that intensely, I would get really sick of my phone ringing 4 times/day from the same asshole.

I've said for years that Texas's problem was recruiting early on kids who had largely maxed out their talent in high school and never got better their senior year and in college. Similarly that always used to be one of the knocks on Husker kids when the pros evaluated them. No upside in many cases because Tom had maxed out their talent in college.

Great post. To extend on that, I've been trying to figure out how so many of the Pelini/Riley 4 stars flamed out. I'm sure every case is different. But one thing I've noticed is exactly what you are talking about. Some of these four stars were really good early in their HS careers earned high rankings from the recruiting services, but they stopped growing, didn't get any faster. They maintained a four star ranking but competition for their services wasn't as tough as it should have been. We've gotten several of these guys over the years. We celebrated their commitments because "Hey, we got a 4 star!" and then they barely see the field.

For someone who appears to hate Iowa you sure act like the majority of their fan base. Win something of consequence then feel free to return.
As fans of a blueblood dealing with these fans of inferior programs is our cross to bear. :)
The Gophers present and future with Fleck is brighter than Nebraska’s.

Ridiculous statement. We've all seen one hit wonders before.
Wisconsin and Nebraska are the only non one hit wonders in the B1G West. Who knows what the future holds for college football, but I rest easy knowing Nebraska will be a Top 10 all time program for at least the next 30 years.

Not ridiculous at all. Fleck brought Western Michigan to the Cotton Bowl and Minnesota to 11-2. He’s now recruiting better than he ever has.
Fleck will most likely go back to being average, but if he does manage to have another decent season or two, he will be out of Minneapolis faster than the blink of an eye. Again, most likely he will be there forever, as you will be OK with him being mediocre and a weirdo.

9zb0.gif

Young doesn't have much to do with it. I was President of the College Republicans at Iowa State back when Howard Dean was making hay with the young people online. I remember we'd go to meetings (as young 20 somethings) and I had a roomful of conservative kids that between them didn't have a creative bone in their body when it came to tech.

My Democrat counterpart had a whole slew of people they could count on for really good creative work. Two different sets of young people, two entirely different realities for this new virtual political arena.

So I'm not implying that our staff is all Republicans. I'm implying that we might have a staff full of people who aren't inclined to lead on being creative in the tech environment, for whatever reason even though they are somewhat young. Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve. Who knows.

Its difficult to give a recruit a virtual tour of a facility that 1) hasn't broke ground yet. 2)isn't even finished being designed! I would think those are the top 2 reasons for not having a virtual tour yet! There's a lot of time between now and that NLI singing period! Im sure something will be put together when plans are a little further along!

Dang Minnesota has a season that we've fired coaches for and PJ is 1-1 against Frost with a plus 2 point differential, but Minnesota fans think Nebraska has no chance against them? Weird!

If Florida offers AD there is zero chance he ends up at either of our schools.

Husker fan living in MN here. I see/read about him more than most. He's a good football coach for sure but gives off that weird feeling that he has kids tied up in the basement or tortures animals in his spare time. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. We all know the feeling of just knowing someone is "off".

As for Dickerson. Have a relative who played against him. Sounds like a really good athlete who hasn't had big 10 production yet. He just never seemed that into nu. CB seems to be one position we've recruited good so this doesnt concern me like it would losing a local TE, LB, OL, or DL.

Young doesn't have much to do with it. I was President of the College Republicans at Iowa State back when Howard Dean was making hay with the young people online. I remember we'd go to meetings (as young 20 somethings) and I had a roomful of conservative kids that between them didn't have a creative bone in their body when it came to tech.

My Democrat counterpart had a whole slew of people they could count on for really good creative work. Two different sets of young people, two entirely different realities for this new virtual political arena.

So I'm not implying that our staff is all Republicans. I'm implying that we might have a staff full of people who aren't inclined to lead on being creative in the tech environment, for whatever reason even though they are somewhat young. Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve. Who knows.
Maybe so. But there's gotta be people on staff in athletic department that is

It’s not surprising that an 18 year old would rather spend the next four years of his life in Minneapolis than Lincoln. I’m sorry but there’s no comparison between the two cities.

It’s not surprising that an 18 year old would rather spend the next four years of his life in Minneapolis than Lincoln. I’m sorry but there’s no comparison between the two cities.
That's even more ridiculous than your other statements on here. If recruits made their decisions based on the cities where the schools are located, Minnesota would out-recruit Alabama. But I don't think that's happening in our lifetimes.

IF I were a kid being recruited that intensely, I would get really sick of my phone ringing 4 times/day from the same asshole.
First off I am don't know the kid at all. Not claiming this is the case, in this situation.
Some kids love tons of attention. They want to be the main focus and given everything they want. If that is indeed the case. PJ would be the prime coach to make those type of kids feel #1 and given the attention they seek.

Reactions: headcard
Why? this makes zero sense. These kids main focus is school and football, or should be at least. So what exactly does MN have to do for these kids that Neb doesn't?
IhateIowa’s statement made zero sense... Phoenix4nu made much more sense. He was saying that if the city was the selling point, Alabama would always lose recruits to Minnesota because Minneapolis is a nicer city.

That isn’t happening, however, which means kids go to places because of the school, not the city, like you were saying... I think you probably just misread phoenix’s post.

That's even more ridiculous than your other statements on here. If recruits made their decisions based on the cities where the schools are located, Minnesota would out-recruit Alabama. But I don't think that's happening in our lifetimes.

Yeah, the town of Clemson, SC has a population of like 10,000 and is in the middle of nowhere. They just signed five 5-star recruits and have dominated recruiting lately.

Gopher fan here, Fleck isn’t for everyone.

look at MN top instate kids
#1 kid committed to Wisconsin
#2 kid committed to Iowa
#3 kid not committed (but Wisconsin lean)
#4 kid committed to Cal

Fleck mat have stolen #1 from Nebraska, but he isn’t winning all the recruiting battles, especially in his home state. (Same as the last few years)

Gopher fan here, Fleck isn’t for everyone.

look at MN top instate kids
#1 kid committed to Wisconsin
#2 kid committed to Iowa
#3 kid not committed (but Wisconsin lean)
#4 kid committed to Cal

Fleck mat have stolen #1 from Nebraska, but he isn’t winning all the recruiting battles, especially in his home state. (Same as the last few years)

So it seems Fleck’s best option is to recruit kids that have never seen Minny’s campus.

Husker fan living in MN here. I see/read about him more than most. He's a good football coach for sure but gives off that weird feeling that he has kids tied up in the basement or tortures animals in his spare time. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. We all know the feeling of just knowing someone is "off".

As for Dickerson. Have a relative who played against him. Sounds like a really good athlete who hasn't had big 10 production yet. He just never seemed that into nu. CB seems to be one position we've recruited good so this doesnt concern me like it would losing a local TE, LB, OL, or DL.

Ties up kids or abuse animals? Good one. Imagine being this sore over a kid committing to gophers just because he wanted to leave Nebraska. You clearly dont know fleck . Many people hate Scott frost also

Ties up kids or abuse animals? Good one. Imagine being this sore over a kid committing to gophers just because he wanted to leave Nebraska. You clearly dont know fleck . Many people hate Scott frost also
So what do you have to say about the objective Minnesota fan who says instate kids go elsewhere? If Fleck is all you say he is, why can’t he lock down the border? Not just one or two going elsewhere either...

Reactions: headcard

Face it. He's a very strange dude. Everybody in mn jokes about it. Apparently your the only one that doesnt. Every guy in America would love for someone like Scott frost to marry their daughter. Pj fleck. Yeah, not so much.

As far as Dickerson. I never expected him to commit nor do I really care. I always like to get in-state kids but some hurt more then others. I just throw the somethings wrong flag when a kid commits sight unseen to mn with offers supposedly from schools like osu and mich. That's not normal. Maybe he'll be awesome. Maybe he won't. Like I said earlier. He wasn't lighting the omaha football scene on fire. Now look at Betts. Theres a kid with measurables to match his production. Lose a kid like that and I would have been majorly disappointed.

Who? Just tell me already.... i will kick their azz....You are funny.

Face it. He's a very strange dude. Everybody in mn jokes about it. Apparently your the only one that doesnt. Every guy in America would love for someone like Scott frost to marry their daughter. Pj fleck. Yeah, not so much.

As far as Dickerson. I never expected him to commit nor do I really care. I always like to get in-state kids but some hurt more then others. I just throw the somethings wrong flag when a kid commits sight unseen to mn with offers supposedly from schools like osu and mich. That's not normal. Maybe he'll be awesome. Maybe he won't. Like I said earlier. He wasn't lighting the omaha football scene on fire. Now look at Betts. Theres a kid with measurables to match his production. Lose a kid like that and I would have been majorly disappointed.

No only a very few who aren't gophers fans or dumb media people like reusse

Like Bateman, Morgan, Ibrahim's, Chris auteman bell who all committed Sight unseen? Good one.

So what do you have to say about the objective Minnesota fan who says instate kids go elsewhere? If Fleck is all you say he is, why can’t he lock down the border? Not just one or two going elsewhere either...
So 2 or 3 kids go elsewhere? Big deal? Fleck doesn't appeal to some Minnesota coaches who want him to offer lower players.

Minnesota doesn't even recruit minnehaha or lakeville because they have become badgers places. If suggs had chosen football, he was playing for fleck. Justice Sullivan grew up in iowa. Riley Manmohan is from lakeville. Look up Devin eastern, a top player in Minnesota 2021 committed to gophers.

So 2 or 3 kids go elsewhere? Big deal? Fleck doesn't appeal to some Minnesota coaches who want him to offer lower players.

Minnesota doesn't even recruit minnehaha or lakeville because they have become badgers places. If suggs had chosen football, he was playing for fleck. Justice Sullivan grew up in iowa. Riley Manmohan is from lakeville. Look up Devin eastern, a top player in Minnesota 2021 committed to gophers.
Or the top 4 in state players if the other Minnesota fan is correct.

Don’t pretend that losing the top 4 in state players to rival schools isn’t a big deal. Those who are closest to Minnesota and Fleck are choosing to go elsewhere, even after 11-2... why is that? There’s something different about PJ. Just admit it. I’m not saying he’s worse than Sandusky or anything, but more than a few think he’s off.

Not saying he can’t coach. He obviously can. And he has been getting good recruits outside of Minnesota, so that’s not the issue either. But when all of the top talent instate chooses to go elsewhere, that says something about what they think of PJ, whether you want to admit it or not.

3 years he’s been at Minnesota, and this will be year 4. How many times has he gotten the top instate player to stay at home in 4 years? What do instate players know that out of state players don’t know?

Don’t bury your head in the sand, just admit that the dude is off a bit. You’ll actually be treated better here if you do, and not like a blind homer from another board.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT