ADVERTISEMENT

Fong bomb!

Fleck is turning the COVID-19 lemon into lemonade. His staff put together this "virtual visit" thing and apparently it's been a huge hit. They get the kid, parents, grandparents and siblings on a video conference and show them around the facilities, have online meetings with position coaches, etc. The whole family gets involved and it turns into a love fest. They've now had 3 verbals in the last week from kids who have never set foot in MN and all 3 are way better prospects that what we're used to. Say what you want about Fleck, but he knows how to relate to today's teenagers.

Fleck is turning the COVID-19 lemon into lemonade. His staff put together this "virtual visit" thing and apparently it's been a huge hit. They get the kid, parents, grandparents and siblings on a video conference and show them around the facilities, have online meetings with position coaches, etc. The whole family gets involved and it turns into a love fest. They've now had 3 verbals in the last week from kids who have never set foot in MN and all 3 are way better prospects that what we're used to. Say what you want about Fleck, but he knows how to relate to today's teenagers.
I thought this was a dead period. How is he able to be in contact with recruits at all?

I thought this was a dead period. How is he able to be in contact with recruits at all?

On March 13, two days after the NBA suspended its season, the NCAA announced that it would institute a recruiting dead period through "at least April 15." The NCAA advised schools to suspend any official and unofficial on-campus visits for recruits, though coaches are still allowed to contact them through phone calls, text messages, and written correspondence.

This dead period got extended to the end of May I believe.

Virtual bro. Meets the requirements I would think.

so he has better success when kids dont actually step foot on campus. nice.

I have no insider info here, nor will I claim that I do... but just after reading his commitment note, I don’t think this commitment will stick.. it just don’t have a feeling of this is over, he hasn’t visited the school or anything yet either... I’d give this one more time

Forgive me if I don't regard this as a hard commit.

I can't imagine that an Omaha kid in the spring of the most bizarre junior year imaginable would possibly change his mind between now and December. When I was a junior at Westside I'd have told you I was going to college out of state for sure. Two years later I was enrolled and living on campus at NU.

Get ready for the wildest recruiting ride ever because if there's no season this year, WTF do you do with scholarship limits and eligibility? You can't just take a year from a kid if there were no games.

It’s that or you people do hella job on virtual tours..

I have no insider info here, nor will I claim that I do... but just after reading his commitment note, I don’t think this commitment will stick.. it just don’t have a feeling of this is over, he hasn’t visited the school or anything yet either... I’d give this one more time

Exactly. Once everything starts to relax a bit you'll see some movement. Can't blame Minny for trying.

Reactions: husker2612
Didn't he have an offer from Ohio State? Like no offense to Minnesota (okay some offense), but why the hell would anyone choose the Gophers over Ohio State or Nebraska? Makes no sense.

Reactions: WHCSC
How do we get a 4 star homegrown talent choose Minnesota over NU? Did Frost and company not recruit him hard enough like Minnesota? Frost needs to start calling this kid and get him to reconsider his decision.

On March 13, two days after the NBA suspended its season, the NCAA announced that it would institute a recruiting dead period through "at least April 15." The NCAA advised schools to suspend any official and unofficial on-campus visits for recruits, though coaches are still allowed to contact them through phone calls, text messages, and written correspondence.

This dead period got extended to the end of May I believe.

Virtual bro. Meets the requirements I would think.

Some schools seem to be killing it with the virtual recruiting. Nebraska does not appear to be one of them. Pretty inexcusable considering our recruiting budget and how young are staff is.

Didn't he have an offer from Ohio State? Like no offense to Minnesota (okay some offense), but why the hell would anyone choose the Gophers over Ohio State or Nebraska? Makes no sense.
Immediate playing time for an up and coming program.

Some schools seem to be killing it with the virtual recruiting. Nebraska does not appear to be one of them. Pretty inexcusable considering our recruiting budget and how young are staff is.

Young doesn't have much to do with it. I was President of the College Republicans at Iowa State back when Howard Dean was making hay with the young people online. I remember we'd go to meetings (as young 20 somethings) and I had a roomful of conservative kids that between them didn't have a creative bone in their body when it came to tech.

My Democrat counterpart had a whole slew of people they could count on for really good creative work. Two different sets of young people, two entirely different realities for this new virtual political arena.

So I'm not implying that our staff is all Republicans. I'm implying that we might have a staff full of people who aren't inclined to lead on being creative in the tech environment, for whatever reason even though they are somewhat young. Maybe they have an ace up their sleeve. Who knows.

Not a good look for our staff. We might have 5 D1 players per year from the state of Nebraska and we can’t even land all 5? Not like we have another instate team to compete against.
Here's your truth. I'd run through straight up hell to play for Frost and DONU. But, we're 9-15 so far in his tenure. Need some results. Need some wins. That's reality. Once that happens, they'll come.

Exactly. Once everything starts to relax a bit you'll see some movement. Can't blame Minny for trying.
Exactly I will be SHOCKED if he is gopher come signing day. The kid is too talented and has to many big time offers to be hoodwinked for long by a used car salesman

Reactions: bigboxes
It is kind of reality. No school locks down all in state kids. None. It just doesn't happen. If so there wouldn't be any top recruits playing anywhere but in state.

I get what you’re saying but we’ve been losing too many in the last 8 years. Since Frost has been here we’ve only missed on Watts but losing Dickerson stings. What I’m trying to get at, we have ZERO instate competition to compete against. We’re not like Ohio or Florida where there are other D1 schools. Like Frost said, we need to get to a point where instate kids won’t even consider leaving, just like pre-2003. Unfortunately 9-15 ain’t gonna cut it.

In terms of Dickerson, if we can get him for an official we might have a chance, although I’m sure he’s been on campus before.

Reactions: Clouserp
It’s not that I’m not sold because I’m one of the few thinks he is a going to be a good Head Coach..
and if he is I would bet someone is going to out bid Minnesota and take him away from Minneapolis..

I want to see what Minnesota can accomplish this coming season and then we will see where this Dickerson goes by December, especially after the Nebraska Gopher game.

Last edited:
I get what you’re saying but we’ve been losing too many in the last 8 years. Since Frost has been here we’ve only missed on Watts but losing Dickerson stings. What I’m trying to get at, we have ZERO instate competition to compete against. We’re not like Ohio or Florida where there are other D1 schools. Like Frost said, we need to get to a point where instate kids won’t even consider leaving, just like pre-2003. Unfortunately 9-15 ain’t gonna cut it.

In terms of Dickerson, if we can get him for an official we might have a chance, although I’m sure he’s been on campus before.

I hear what you are saying. But take a look at the top 20 recruits from last year. Only 4 are committed to in state teams. That includes kids from Alabama, Georgia, Florida, and Texas all playing for teams in other states. Not losing them to other in state teams, to other states. So only 25% are playing for an in state team.

Top recruits have more options and often choose other schools. Not every kid grows up loving their home state school.

Be prepared to be shocked then. Fleck is building something and recruits see it. Sorry if you don’t.
Wanting to build it and being able to build it are 2 vastly different things. 1 good year out of 100 doesn't mean much. I think Fleck took full advantage of a young kid, his emotions and national lock down/ dead period. Nobody said Fleck isn't good at what he does. I think when things get back to normal as far as recruiting, I think the kid flips. Maybe not to Nebraska but somewhere other than MN.

Classic. Nebraska hasn't won in years. Rashod Bateman never visited Minnesota before committing & stuck with his commitment . Sp did Curtis Dunlap, Daniel faleele, Morgan, etc.. can keep going

Wanting to build it and being able to build it are 2 vastly different things. 1 good year out of 100 doesn't mean much. I think Fleck took full advantage of a young kid, his emotions and national lock down/ dead period. Nobody said Fleck isn't good at what he does. I think when things get back to normal as far as recruiting, I think the kid flips. Maybe not to Nebraska but somewhere other than MN.

Haha okay . So fleck takes advantage, good one

Minnesota is more relevant than Nebraska right now, that's the unfortunate truth. We're paying Scott Frost $5 million/year to change that. Hopefully it starts to turn around, but if we have another losing season, get ready to lose more of these recruiting battles.
They had one fluke, good season. Let’s not turn them into some giant just yet.

They had one fluke, good season. Let’s not turn them into some giant just yet.

They're not a giant, but their one good season, compared to our 3 consecutive losing seasons, makes them much more relevant right now.
It's been 20 years since we won 11 games in a season and finished in the Top 10. Current recruits haven't even seen Nebraska play in a bowl game since they started high school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT