ADVERTISEMENT

Florida and Ohio High School football

JoelBittner

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 14, 2010

Kids carrying flags in support of law enforcement getting suspended.

According to the outlet, the Fletcher High School football team started carrying the pro-law enforcement flag last year, as a way for one of its players, Caelan Lavender, to honor his late father, Cpl. Andy Lavender. Mr. Lavender was a Jacksonville Beach police officer who unexpectedly passed away in August 2019 after 29 years in law enforcement, and was active in sports programs.

Thin-Blue-Flag-iStock.jpg

Not my district, zero dog in the fight, but if it was, I would be interested to learn those administrations will remove any items / activities that someone claims to be 'racist'.

everyone involved, including the people who will take exception to this post, is a bumbling fool.

public employees: those who can't do, indeed

everyone involved, including the people who will take exception to this post, is a bumbling fool.

public employees: those who can't do, indeed

A little far reaching on your public employee stereotype... but that's just my opinion. Scott Frost is a can't do kinda guy!

The Flag Code as it relates to any potential violation in this case is based on whether or not you consider that flag the Thin Blue Line flag or the American flag.

If you consider the Thin Blue Line its own flag, it's not in violation of the Flag Code.

If you consider it to be the American Flag, it's in violation of the Flag Code.

The American Legion, a group I am a proud member of and a major voice in both the drafting of the U. S. Flag Code and a go-to authority of flag etiquette, hasn't taken a stance against the flag in question up to this point because it's not in violation of the Flag Code in large part due to the notion that the average person can discern the difference between the two flags.

My opinions are my own and I don't speak on behalf of the American Legion. Feel free to contact your local office at the following link for all of your flag related concerns:

Last edited:
I am super-duper confused on this "flag code" thing. I've visited all 50 states and seen the flag desecrated hundreds of times. I've even seen the American flag burned at sporting events with ZERO consequences for the perpetrators.
So I'll ask a simple question: does this code only apply at football games, and only if it is pro-American in some way??? I am being 100% sincere with this question.

If we have learned one thing about the far left it is is this:
Give them an inch and they want a mile. Quit giving in to these far left or right idiots.
Why do the we, as the majority of society, have to put up with this? Tell them to go "F" themselves.

The Flag Code as it relates to any potential violation in this case is based on whether or not you consider that flag the Thin Blue Line flag or the American flag.

If you consider the Thin Blue Line its own flag, it's not in violation of the Flag Code.

If you consider it to be the American Flag, it's in violation of the Flag Code.

The American Legion, a group I am a proud member of and a major voice in both the drafting of the U. S. Flag Code and the enforcement of flag etiquette, hasn't taken a stance against the flag in question up to this point.

My opinions are my own and I don't speak on behalf of the American Legion. Feel free to contact your local office at the following link for all of your flag related concerns:

I'm looking at both flags right now, and I do believe it's a stretch to say the Thin Blue Line flag is not the American Flag. Not that concerned about it, just interesting how the "rules" have been stretched to accommodate a select few.

I am super-duper confused on this "flag code" thing. I've visited all 50 states and seen the flag desecrated hundreds of times. I've even seen the American flag burned at sporting events with ZERO consequences for the perpetrators.
So I'll ask a simple question: does this code only apply at football games, and only if it is pro-American in some way??? I am being 100% sincere with this question.
It's a First Amendment right to be able to do the things you've witnessed and a violation of the Flag Code carries no penalty.

Generally, if you're likely unknowingly in violation (you have a tattered American flag, you have a state or school flag above the American flag, another flag is bigger than your American flag, you leave your flag displayed after dark without a light, etc.), an old guy in a service cap will come knock on your door and very politely tell you exactly what you're doing wrong, though.

Last edited:
I'm looking at both flags right now, and I do believe it's a stretch to say the Thin Blue Line flag is not the American Flag. Not that concerned about it, just interesting how the "rules" have been stretched to accommodate a select few.
The answer is actually located two subsections before the one you copied and pasted in U.S. Code Title 4 Chapter 1, SS 1:

- §1. Flag; stripes and stars on

The flag of the United States shall be thirteen horizontal stripes, alternate red and white; and the union of the flag shall be fifty stars representing the fifty states, white in a blue field -

The flag in question has no red on it. The stripes alternate black and white with a single blue stripe. The stars are white in a black field.

Below what you posted in SS 3 you'll find a key piece of information about being able to differentiate the American flag from other flags. The flag in question is deemed different enough to avoid a situation in that "the average person seeing the same without deliberation may believe the same to represent the flag, colors, standard, or ensign of the United States of America."

Some people are still going to say that they can't tell the difference between the two, however, but so long as the average person can there's no Flag Code violation.

Furthermore, there's no Flag Code stating that all other flags must not have stripes, stars, etc.

These are not my rules and I did not write them. Anyone can read the entire Flag Code at:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT