ADVERTISEMENT

Flip of the Coin

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
Might sound meaningless in the scheme of thinks, but SF needs to learn win winning the toss to defer till the 2nd half..

He always seems to take the ball win winning the toss and if it isn’t achieved been plenty of times we’re behind going into half time giving the opponents the ball to start the 2nd half..

If we have the lead or not going into halftime it would beneficial to start the 2nd half with ball..

Another one of my pet peeves I have with SF..

Might sound meaningless in the scheme of thinks, but SF needs to learn win winning the toss to defer till the 2nd half..

He always seems to take the ball win winning the toss and if it isn’t achieved been plenty of times we’re behind going into half time giving the opponents the ball to start the 2nd half..

If we have the lead or not going into halftime it would beneficial to start the 2nd half with ball..

Isn't the normal thought to always put your best unit on the field first? It seems pretty obvious that is our defense at this juncture. Deferring seems to be the most logical right now. When he coached at Oregon or if you have Tom Brady as your QB, maybe not.

It’s part of the aggressive mentality they had going on at Oregon that he brought to UCF. I get it and maybe there’s a place for it eventually, but our offense has been anemic the last few years. He should adjust accordingly and defer until we actually have a high flying offense to back it up. Like OP said, this has more often than not put us in a hole early.

Isn't the normal thought to always put your best unit on the field first? It seems pretty obvious that is our defense at this juncture. Deferring seems to be the most logical right now. When he coached at Oregon or if you have Tom Brady as your QB, maybe not.
My Philosophies is to get the ball in the second half..

TO always deferred when winning the toss..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
and seemingly, we've struggled mightily on the first series.
short gains on 1st downs and then punt.
we put the defense on its heels to start.
and we've struggled in kick/punt cover.
im might be wrong on all this, but this is my perception.

It’s part of the aggressive mentality they had going on at Oregon that he brought to UCF. I get it and maybe there’s a place for it eventually, but our offense has been anemic the last few years. He should adjust accordingly and defer until we actually have a high flying offense to back it up. Like OP said, this has more often than not put us in a hole early.
Exactly. We're not running the Chip Kelly speed-sprint offense, littering the field with 4.3 smurfs, duck-r guys, etc.
That said, I'm not sure what we're running. I guess we'll know it when we see it.

Our kickoffs have been a disaster. So maybe it’s better not to kick off to start the game.

Cruelhalo did some research for the last 3 years on our opening drives
TD13
FG1
Punt11
Fumble3
INT2
Downs2

while we do punt a lot, we have a fairly high percentage of putting points on the board.

The vast majority of teams defer, especially when there is bad weather/wind. Another red flag that SF can’t/won’t adjust his thought process, even when he fails over and over again.

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
which coach was it where we had a few instances where we ended up having to kick off at the start of BOTH halves?? mind blowing!
I know it happened in '10 against Missouri because Prince Amukamara had played so much Madden, which has no "defer" option, he thought that saying "we want to kick" was the correct procedure 🤦🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Herbert Husker

You know who was good at this? Billy Callahan. He could script an opening drive touchdown quite often. The rest of the game? Not so much. I suspect Frost thinks he's outsmarting people too.

According to the post above yours, we score 44% of the time and give the ball back to the other team in some measure 56% of the time on opening drives.
as long as we put them close to where they'd be on a typical kickoff after a punt - it'd be hard to argue the desire to take it first.
my perception of opponents starting position is past the 25. id be happy to be corrected here, too.

I know it happened in '10 against Missouri because Prince Amukamara had played so much Madden, which has no "defer" option, he thought that saying "we want to kick" was the correct procedure 🤦🏻‍♂️
I seem to remember Southern Miss making a similar blunder when we played down there in 2003

I think it’s important that we establish a tempo on offense. This way, we can go 3 and out really fast and give the opponent the ball at their own 45 when we shank the punt. I am supportive of this strategy.

The sooner NU gets the ball, the sooner they can put on a swing pass clinic
I don't particularly mind taking the ball the game. My beef is when it's a comedy affairs with dropped snaps, penalties and swing passes that lose yardage

What? We almost always scored on that opening drive. It was all the others that we had issues with.

What? We almost always scored on that opening drive. It was all the others that we had issues with.
last year's opening drive results:

OhSt - TD
NW - no score
PSU - TD
Illi - no score
iowa - no score
purdue - TD (1 play, 1 yard following blocked punt)
minn - no score
rutgers - no score

so that's 2 opening drives resulting in TDs, 5 resulting in zero points and a 1yd TD run off a turnover

Reactions: scarletred

OhSt - TD
NW - no score
PSU - TD
Illi - no score
iowa - no score
minn - no score
rutgers - no score

so that's 2 opening drives resulting in TDs, 5 resulting in zero points and a 1yd TD run off a turnover
What was the first full possession with 10 yards to go in the Purdue game?

I don’t consider 1st and Goal at the 1 as full set of downs for the possession…

1st possession in the NW and Minnesota games ended up points for the opposing team..

What was the first full possession with 10 yards to go in the Purdue game?

I don’t consider 1st and Goal at the 1 as full set of downs for the possession…

1st possession in the NW and Minnesota games ended up points for the opposing team..
3 plays, 17 yards, TD following a bad punt/nice return + sideline interference penalty on purdue

OhSt - TD
NW - no score
PSU - TD
Illi - no score
iowa - no score
minn - no score
rutgers - no score

here's 2019 and 2018 to get the full sample:

2019 (4 TD, 1 FG, 7 zero points)
S Bama - TD
CU - TD
No Ill - FG
Ill - no score
Ohst - no score
NW - no score
minn - no score
Ind - TD
purdue - no score
wisc - no score (9 play, 43yd drive ended in punt)
maryland - TD
iowa - no score

2018 (7 TD, 5 zero points)
CU - no score
Troy - no score
mich - no score
purdue - TD
wisc - no score
NW - TD
minn - TD
bethune - TD
Ohst - TD
Ill - TD
mich st - no score
iowa - TD

like with much of Frost's tenure, it looks like 2018 was the best we've done in opening drives leading to points

Reactions: scarletred
I thought he said in one of those short PC’s that he might kick off more now that we have someone that can kick it out of the endzone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT