ADVERTISEMENT

Fleming and Manning

I said this summer that I expect a LOT of kids to pack their bags and move back closer to home. Now with the new leniency in transfer rules and no loss of eligibility, we're going to see across college football even more kids change schools. It's just the way it is. When you take a kid a thousand miles from home you better expect at least half of them to not stick around if there's any reason at all for them to want to leave.

It's just way too easy for them to quit and unfortunately I don't think there's much strong parenting going on with some of these kids.
Already making excuses for the boatload of transfers we'll see. Nice.

Fair enough. For me, I think we need some continuity and I'm not also sure who we could get.. I mean, who would come here and who is out there? I'm out of the state too, but a lot of the folks I talk to think Frost can get it done, just needs way more time. I think if we continue to be a revolving door the results are going to stay the same.

I will say, this is the first year in a lot of years that I haven't watched all of the games live. I've done a lot more activities with my kids and tried to have fun vs. wallowing in how much we suck. I'm an alum and Nebraska native so NU holds a special spot in my heart, but this is the least I've cared about Husker football in a long time. Having lived outside the state for about 14 years now, these last few years I've started to wear my Husker gear less and less just so I don't have to talk football. All around shitty situation.
I would just turn it over to our running back coach Ryan Held. You don't have to get a guy from outside the program and go through a huge ordeal every time you replace the head coach. But I understand what you mean.. I missed the first 15 minutes of the game last week because I lost track of time.. that is a first for a husker game.

I hear you about being an alum.. it's a difficult situation for a lot of people. I have an old husker hat left.. hardly wearable it looks so bad. One old T-shirt and a football somewhere.. the rest of my memorabilia I gave to a buddy with a husker basement. I think he's a viking's fan now. lol

I don't think so. I mean we have already has a boatload, I don't really anticipate many more. It's possible that some of the JUCO's that aren't seeing the field may move on, but I won't lose sleep over that, if a JUCO can't come in and make an impact on this team. I guess Lynum is still around and he was another Florida kid.

Whew, I was really getting worried that the offensive genius would have no excuses next year when his offense is complete garbage again.

Round 3 of “Hey we want to throw down field” coming to a stadium near you next year.

I don't think so. I mean we have already has a boatload, I don't really anticipate many more. It's possible that some of the JUCO's that aren't seeing the field may move on, but I won't lose sleep over that, if a JUCO can't come in and make an impact on this team. I guess Lynum is still around and he was another Florida kid.
I think we'll see a lot more if things don't turn around in a hurry. Idk, I hope not. We'll see.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think we'll see a lot more if things don't turn around in a hurry. Idk, I hope not. We'll see.
I guess we will. It just seems we always see these bold declarations of mass exoduses and coaches losing the team and it never happens. The kids are playing hard, we just aren't getting the job done.

Player attrition is everywhere right now, not just Nebraska, it’s a crazy time

I think having more players from the geographical area would help a lot with attrition.

Last edited:
Reactions: CatColumbia

I think having more players from the geographical area would help, a lot with attrition.

You nailed a big part of it. Having to go nationwide to bring kids in leaves us vulnerable to a higher transfer rate. Now listen, if we lose a good kid like Wandale who is well respected then I would be devastated and I would question Frost. Fleming was not a good locker room guy and this goes beyond throwing everybody's clothes on the floor. He was disgruntled from the beginning. He had talent, for sure but trust me, it's addition by subtraction.
I've been hard on Frost (deservingly so) but I don't think he's losing the team. The guys do play hard for him, he's a players coach. He (and his staff) need to do their due diligence better on these type of kids who are a reach. We need to own the 500 radius and instate recruiting. No more letting instate kids go elsewhere. Next year we have 2-3 ballers that I think will go elsewhere and this is due to us losing in my opinion.

Obviously there's a problem with Nebraska's crazy high attrition. But I think a lot of it comes down to how crazy recruiting is these days. You basically shower these kids with free gear, promise them a ton, and take them out to eat at the best restaurants in town on official visits. And that's all the legal stuff that is going on. No wonder most of these kids have a superiority complex that makes them believe they are better than athletes that have had three years of college ball under them.

You nailed a big part of it. Having to go nationwide to bring kids in leaves us vulnerable to a higher transfer rate. Now listen, if we lose a good kid like Wandale who is well respected then I would be devastated and I would question Frost. Fleming was not a good locker room guy and this goes beyond throwing everybody's clothes on the floor. He was disgruntled from the beginning. He had talent, for sure but trust me, it's addition by subtraction.
I've been hard on Frost (deservingly so) but I don't think he's losing the team. The guys do play hard for him, he's a players coach. He (and his staff) need to do their due diligence better on these type of kids who are a reach. We need to own the 500 radius and instate recruiting. No more letting instate kids go elsewhere. Next year we have 2-3 ballers that I think will go elsewhere and this is due to us losing in my opinion.
Well said, echos my thoughts 💯

I think having more players from the geographical area would help a lot with attrition.
That's not a good list to be at the top of. If you notice, the teams at the top of that list are generally underperforming their recruiting rankings while those at the bottom are overperforming. Iowa usually has lower attrition, but even with their issues, they still have less attrition than we do.

That's not a good list to be at the top of. If you notice, the teams at the top of that list are generally underperforming their recruiting rankings while those at the bottom are overperforming. Iowa usually has lower attrition, but even with their issues, they still have less attrition than we do.
I don’t know about that. PSU and Michigan may be struggling this year, but they typically recruit well and perform well year in and year out.

I don’t know about that. PSU and Michigan may be struggling this year, but they typically recruit well and perform well year in and year out.
They lost a ton to attrition in the last year or so and are struggling a lot because of it.

Yeah, I speak cliche so I get what you are saying.

But do you really think every kid on Bama is 100% effort 100% of the time, always doing everything right?

No, you don't think that.

And look at the 90's Husker teams. Those guys were always at the bars, ****ing around, they just happened to be good at football too.

I think that. Saban probably don't give a shit if you can add or subtract, but as anal as that guy is, you better not **** around on his football field.

obviously its the fault of the kids parents
We've had kids in the past get homesick and want to bail and their parents told them to suck it up. You are naive if you think that some of these kids have much family structure at home.

Whatever you think. Every school is going to see a lot of transfers. I said it months ago. It is also true that thus far the NCAA while saying that this year doesn't count against a kid's eligibility, they haven't announced publicly what they're going to do about scholarship limits. It IS possible that there is going to have to be some processing take place in order to keep scholarship numbers in line. It's awful easy to let a kid go who doesn't seem to want to be in a small city who shuts down at the drop of a hat. The city AND the B!G haven't helped the situation at all. These kids can watch their buddies playing on ESPN with quite a few fans in the stands.

We've had kids in the past get homesick and want to bail and their parents told them to suck it up. You are naive if you think that some of these kids have much family structure at home.

hmm....so family structure is the problem?

According to Steve Frost, Scott's brother and a senior on the Stanford football team, the decision to leave school came over the winter break.

"He's hasn't really been happy since he got here," Steve told The Stanford Daily. "Over break, he realized how much he missed home and how many friends he had at Nebraska."

• Love
Reactions: NikkiSixx
hmm....so family structure is the problem?

According to Steve Frost, Scott's brother and a senior on the Stanford football team, the decision to leave school came over the winter break.

"He's hasn't really been happy since he got here," Steve told The Stanford Daily. "Over break, he realized how much he missed home and how many friends he had at Nebraska."
So kids do get homesick then. Glad you see my point. It is also true that the guy that Frost went to play for at Stanford left. It is also true that while he was promised he could play QB, he got moved to safety. The situations are EXACTLY the same...not. Frost stayed 2 seasons. These 2 guys haven't been here for one. All of the rest of the students have gone home. Lincoln has shut things down. They've got zero social life and all of the sudden things don't seem like much fun in Lincoln. Nobody should wonder why a kid from Florida might want to leave in this situation. You're a loser. Stick to the Gopher board.

Reactions: headcard
I have not read the book and I am not young but why would you not want it easy and now?

Shit, most of us are at work every single day, looking for new/better jobs online.
Shit, if most of us were working instead of reading football forums and looking for a different job online, maybe we would be getting promoted, making more money and be thrilled with the job we are lucky enough to have. Just saying.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
We over recruit Florida any ways.

That's the problem.

Not one kid with a D1 offer should ever play for another school other than Nebraska from instate. Wrap that up first
As my mother reached her 90's she said she didn't live in the real world anymore. She wasn't the only one.

Regardless of the reasons, losing 20% of your recruiting class including 4 4 star players within 12 months is a massive issue.
it isnt all that uncommon. i think you would find quite a few programs if not dozens with a similar statistic. You just dont follow them all. there is a crazy but accurate statistic about % of signed commits who finish 4 years and graduate and its astonishingly low nationwide.

it isnt all that uncommon. i think you would find quite a few programs if not dozens with a similar statistic. You just dont follow them all. there is a crazy but accurate statistic about % of signed commits who finish 4 years and graduate and its astonishingly low nationwide.

It does happen, but they reload. We still have to recruit so the impact is far greater with Neb that a top 20 program. It’s hard enough to get athletic, speed, quick twitch guys here. SF speed game isn’t exactly built for the BIG in 20 degree weather. Unless your name is OSU, Mich, PSU and maybe Wisc.

Shit, if most of us were working instead of reading football forums and looking for a different job online, maybe we would be getting promoted, making more money and be thrilled with the job we are lucky enough to have. Just saying.
Haha! No shit...so many people freaking out about effort and here we all are posting during the workday.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Find me another then from within 12 months

I'm not a fan of weed. It will prolly be legal everywhere soon enough. That's inevitable. But I've seen from personal experience that it has ruined many kids because it kills motivation. Very few kids carry a flask around, but quite a few have a vape pen or one-hitter in their pocket that they utilize day and night. You've got to be clear headed to study, practice, concentrate, and learn. If they could limit their use to the weekends, that would be one thing, but most start to use it habitually to relieve stress. It's a gentle sort of abuse. I've seen it up close several times among non athletes. Wake and bake.
This is an excellent point, that is never discussed.

Well that's fine as long as it's not your best talent that's leaving.

How many coaches do you think are lining up to pick up a kid that quit after one semester after getting playing time as a true freshman? Talent - probably. Quitter - definitely. No thanks.
I have little doubt that coaches at Florida Atlantic, FIU, and USF have all already been in touch with those guys. There's been some speculation that schools have been backdoor recruiting kids from other team's rosters this year.

I have little doubt that coaches at Florida Atlantic, FIU, and USF have all already been in touch with those guys. There's been some speculation that schools have been backdoor recruiting kids from other team's rosters this year.
Let them. All those programs are straight trash. The freshman that left will never get to experience a home game at Nebraska. Have fun playing in front of an empty stadium.

ADVERTISEMENT