ADVERTISEMENT

Fleming and Manning

I think this year in particular could be quite a market for transfers, other than perhaps fewer coaching changes due to odd season. I don’t think it’s an ideal way to build a roster, but it may a place to find several replacements.

The instability of our roster has absolutely hurt our ability to develop it.
It’s hard to know what all the causes are, but Frost is gonna need to figure something out.
Someone mentioned it starts with winning, to help give kids a reason to want to be here.
Need transfer linemen of a fairly high caliber and STAT.

Reactions: headcard
What a bunch of nonsense. If the team isn’t winning the players shouldn’t “accept” discipline from the coach? Come on.
Why should they? If you have the most talent on a crappy team and know your coaches suck and aren't making you better... And you know they're desperate enough to keep you around no matter how bad you act up... Why would you all of a sudden accept discipline from those coaches and not just pack your bags and find some place better?

Need transfer linemen of a fairly high caliber and STAT.
I would gladly take a proven player. But also, If we can’t win games with the OL guys we got, I’m not sure transfers are gonna help us much.

Ezra Miller is waiting. Corcoran, Benhart, soon Prochazca, an improved Jurgens... we could line up 4 top 150 level players very soon if we wanted to. Between that and the experienced guys we have like Jaimes, former 4* Farniok, an underrated Piper, 3-4 yr starter Wilson, Nouili, big frame Banks, etc etc.

I’m not saying anything is a lock, but there’s better players than many of our opponents in the OL room. Need to figure out how to get them ready.

DL has some guys, but I’d love to bring in a difference maker there.

Why should they? If you have the most talent on a crappy team and know your coaches suck and aren't making you better... And you know they're desperate enough to keep you around no matter how bad you act up... Why would you all of a sudden accept discipline from those coaches and not just pack your bags and find some place better?
Is this serious? Have you ever been part of a team? Accepting discipline and a role is not optional. This is not negotiable, weather you are winning or losing.

Is this serious? Have you ever been part of a team? Accepting discipline and a role is not optional. This is not negotiable, weather you are winning or losing.
I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that's how these type of kids think and that's why they are transferring out when things don't go their way. Btw Alabama has plenty of these type of kids, but they act straight because their coach instills discipline from the beginning and they know if they act stupid their coach would easily kick you off the team. In that situation, the coach has all the power. In our situation, the player has the power to act up and do whatever they want because our coaches are desperate.

Why does this staff continue to recruit “low character guys?”

Transfers from talented kids, especially for a coaching staff that can’t our scheme the opposition is a recipe to continue to lose at a high rate.
In all honesty, there is a problem with the high number of transfers. However not many end up at good programs and even fewer ever contribute anywhere. This year is an anomaly. The entire Florida haul is gone, but during Covid I dont pin those 4 on Frost as much as the absolute crziness that is 2020.

Reactions: headcard
I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying that's how these type of kids think and that's why they are transferring out when things don't go their way. Btw Alabama has plenty of these type of kids, but they act straight because their coach instills discipline from the beginning and they know if they act stupid their coach would easily kick you off the team. In that situation, the coach has all the power. In our situation, the player has the power to act up and do whatever they want because our coaches are desperate.
Overly simplistic. Again.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Why does this staff continue to recruit “low character guys?”

Transfers from talented kids, especially for a coaching staff that can’t our scheme the opposition is a recipe to continue to lose at a high rate.
Because we are desperate for talent at this point. Gotta hope one of them makes plays.

Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard. Talented players sometimes like to rely on their own skills and are unwilling to refine them through hard work. They cheat themselves and their teammates. There are no shortcuts. Alabama gets the most talented players in the country every year. do you suppose they are also not the hardest working? Surely you understand this.

Yeah, I speak cliche so I get what you are saying.

But do you really think every kid on Bama is 100% effort 100% of the time, always doing everything right?

No, you don't think that.

And look at the 90's Husker teams. Those guys were always at the bars, ****ing around, they just happened to be good at football too.

But do you really think every kid on Bama is 100% effort 100% of the time, always doing everything right?

And look at the 90's Husker teams. Those guys were always at the bars, ****ing around, they just happened to be good at football too.
A former high end player for Bama can’t think of his name basically said if you don’t give 100 percent and do the right thing you won’t play for Saban.

Yes, I do think that. That's because when they're on the field, that's what their coach demands. Off the field stuff doesn't really matter and has very little effect on performance.

Easier said than done. We also need a high caliber transfer quarterback.
if you take a transfer QB you risk losing the high school QBs on your roster.
there are already too many OLs on the roster and many of them will end up on the bench for 4 years. they dont know it yet because kids trust the coaches instead of researching depth charts. NEB will already have some unhappy OLs in the program in the near future because Frost signed so many good high school OLs in bunches. most of them are expecting to play soon but they can't all play when there are 10 OLs that are freshmen

if you take a transfer QB you risk losing the high school QBs on your roster.
there are already too many OLs on the roster and many of them will end up on the bench for 4 years. they dont know it yet because kids trust the coaches instead of researching depth charts. NEB will already have some unhappy OLs in the program in the near future because Frost signed so many good high school OLs in bunches. most of them are expecting to play soon but they can't all play when there are 10 OLs that are freshmen

You risk of losing anybody any given year, those are facts. The days of good ol faithful 4 year service are over. We are a good QB away from being above .500 team so we need to go out and see what’s in the transfer market. Frost won’t do it though because of what you mentioned.

You're likely half-assing your way through life, but that won't cut it in big time athletics

You risk of losing anybody any given year, those are facts. The days of good ol faithful 4 year service are over. We are a good QB away from being above .500 team so we need to go out and see what’s in the transfer market. Frost won’t do it though because of what you mentioned.
We're not going to worry about anyone's feelings or their future travel plans. Put a winning product on the field ASAP, whatever it takes.

A former high end player for Bama can’t think of his name basically said if you don’t give 100 percent and do the right thing you won’t play for Saban.

This is so stupid, what does that mean, "give 100%"

Do this, do you think that every single player on ever Saban Coached Bama Team, that has either played until they left for the NFL and/or their eligibility was up, gave 100% at every single practice, rep and weight room session 100% of the time.

You're likely half-assing your way through life, but that won't cut it in big time athletics

He seems to be arguing that Nebraska needs more kids who like to be stupid off the field, but with athletic ability. So basically, kids like the current ones, only with less maturity and common sense. Shocking that he is not a big time coach.

He seems to be arguing that Nebraska needs more kids who like to be stupid off the field, but with athletic ability. So basically, kids like the current ones, only with less maturity and common sense. Shocking that he is not a big time coach.

Hahaha!

No, I am arguing that we all would rather have the easy path in life. Wouldn't you?

Also, please do not assume my pronouns.

"Very little effect"

Thank you
Do you think coaches should have complete control over their players personal lives? How well did that work out for Gill at Kansas? Usually it ends up being a complete disaster when coaches do this. BTW, I think the nutrition thing Frost always harps on borders on too much outside control.

Hahaha!

No, I am arguing that we all would rather have the easy path in life. Wouldn't you?

Also, please do not assume my pronouns.
Who wouldn't want it easy and now? How often does it work out that way? The people who really kill it in life are talented and they work their butts off. Where we lack talent, we better maximize what we have through effort and preparation. Not seeing that on this team unfortunately, for the most part.

I may have overestimated you. You seem more like a quarter asser.

I'm not a fan of weed. It will prolly be legal everywhere soon enough. That's inevitable. But I've seen from personal experience that it has ruined many kids because it kills motivation. Very few kids carry a flask around, but quite a few have a vape pen or one-hitter in their pocket that they utilize day and night. You've got to be clear headed to study, practice, concentrate, and learn. If they could limit their use to the weekends, that would be one thing, but most start to use it habitually to relieve stress. It's a gentle sort of abuse. I've seen it up close several times among non athletes. Wake and bake.
You do know tons of nfl players like Ricky Williams and even our own Randy Gregory smoke weed regularly. Even a couple former players are in the business now. I don't smoke any more (did as a teen) but I never missed a day and was then and still now considered one if the hardest working guys at any job I have ever had. Same thing applies to my best friend (still smokes) he just got a promotion and his employer knows of his habits.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Now that marijuana is soon to be legal across the country, what will the new boogeyman be the next 50 years?
I come from the age of, "Reefer Madness", being used as a serious teaching aid in Health Class, approved curriculum in Lincoln in the 70's. Some of you folks still live in that approved vacuum of knowledge.

Last edited:
Now that marijuana is soon to be legal across the country, what will the new boogeyman be the next 50 years?
I come from the age of, "Reefer Madness", being used as a serious teaching aid in Health Class, approved curriculum in Lincoln in the 70's. Some of you folks still live in that approved vacuum of knowledge.
well we could start with meth.

Reactions: bradjens
Cocaine is way better, but come on dingle, you must have more than that, yes?

But you seem to prove my point.
I've seen WAY too many families and people wrecked by meth to joke about it. It's a horrible drug with absolutely no redeeming qualities. Yes, I have a Libertarian streak in me but I draw the line with drugs like meth and cocaine. There are very well documented potentially lethal side effects from both and they are both horribly addicting.

Do you think coaches should have complete control over their players personal lives? How well did that work out for Gill at Kansas? Usually it ends up being a complete disaster when coaches do this. BTW, I think the nutrition thing Frost always harps on borders on too much outside control.
No, I totally don't. But that is my point. These guys are not robots. They all slack off and take it easy and screw around.

Who wouldn't want it easy and now? How often does it work out that way? The people who really kill it in life are talented and they work their butts off. Where we lack talent, we better maximize what we have through effort and preparation. Not seeing that on this team unfortunately, for the most part.

I may have overestimated you. You seem more like a quarter asser.

See, now you are getting somewhere...maybe the "lack of effort" is not on the players but on the coaches.

ADVERTISEMENT