ADVERTISEMENT

Fleming and Manning

Fleming is gone, apparently he and Delancy were disciplined for something so they packed their bags and went home.

Manning is saying he is well and will be back next year. I’m sure we will all be surprised if that actually happens.

Fleming is gone, apparently he and Delancy were disciplined for something so they packed their bags and went home.

Manning is saying he is well and will be back next year. I’m sure we will all be surprised if that actually happens.
If true, good riddance. You can't take too many chances on low character guys. They are poison. Frosh can be so stupid at times. Stay the course, earn your spot.

If true, good riddance. You can't take too many chances on low character guys. They are poison. Frosh can be so stupid at times. Stay the course, earn your spot.

Why does this staff continue to recruit “low character guys?”

Transfers from talented kids, especially for a coaching staff that can’t our scheme the opposition is a recipe to continue to lose at a high rate.

Why does this staff continue to recruit “low character guys?”

Transfers from talented kids, especially for a coaching staff that can’t our scheme the opposition is a recipe to continue to lose at a high rate.
Low character has talent. Great programs can get talent AND high character.

I rarely defend Bopeep, but he had a philosophy of recruiting players who were team leaders at their respective winning hs teams. Not a foolproof method, but if a kid from Miami cannot assimilate into the environment at Nebraska, we wasted a scholly, time and resources to try and make it work.

Heck, even a lot of good kids are not mentally tough enough to be away from home. Hard to predict how they'll react.

Kids are not leaving the south to come to Nebraska just because it's a nice place to live, they want to play football. If a kid has a discipline issue it's up to the coaches to pinpoint the issue and fix it but not playing a talented kid at all gives him no reason to be here. Might as well go back to the power I and recruit locally if you're going to waist 4* WRs left and right.

Not saying discipline isn't needed but there has to be a better way the coaches can handle the situation. These kids are different and the old N way isn't for them. Scott has to make some adjustments as well if he's going to recruit the south because he can't keep missing on these kids.

The Coddling of the American Mind by Greg Lukianoff is a great read and insight into the mind of many (not all) younger people. They want it easy and they want it now.

I have not read the book and I am not young but why would you not want it easy and now?
If you had two choices or two paths (yeah yeah, the road less traveled) why would you not take the one that is easy and has faster results?

If you could move up faster in your career by picking an easier path, you would surely do it.

These guys get 4-5 years to play college football, then it is gone forever. If they hate it or feel left out or don't see a path that leads them to where they hope to go, why would they not explore other options?

Shit, most of us are at work every single day, looking for new/better jobs online.

I don't fault anyone for looking to improve things for themselves.

Now...if THEY are the cause of their own issues that is a bit of a different story.

Kids are not leaving the south to come to Nebraska just because it's a nice place to live, they want to play football. If a kid has a discipline issue it's up to the coaches to pinpoint the issue and fix it but not playing a talented kid at all gives him no reason to be here. Might as well go back to the power I and recruit locally if you're going to waist 4* WRs left and right.

Not saying discipline isn't needed but there has to be a better way the coaches can handle the situation. These kids are different and the old N way isn't for them. Scott has to make some adjustments as well if he's going to recruit the south because he can't keep missing on these kids.

Agreed, there is discipline and there are stupid rules. That should be examined.

Reactions: Tornadosoul7
This is why Frost has had a golden opportunity with the revolution of local talent that has gone through here since he's been our coach. He did get Betts, and that was huge, but losing out on Watts and Johnson seems bigger now than ever when the kids we got in their place aren't even staying here for a year.

It's why losing Dickerson is so huge. You can argue he's overrated, too skinny, whatever... But a talent like him at that position doesn't ever come through this state. Instead we are going to Florida to get DBs that are transferring before ever playing a down. At the end of the day, you have to win in order to show these Omaha kids this is a place worth coming when Notre Dame, Iowa, Michigan, LSU are also knocking on their doors, and we just haven't done it.

I rarely defend Bopeep, but he had a philosophy of recruiting players who were team leaders at their respective winning hs teams. Not a foolproof method, but if a kid from Miami cannot assimilate into the environment at Nebraska, we wasted a scholly, time and resources to try and make it work.

Heck, even a lot of good kids are not mentally tough enough to be away from home. Hard to predict how they'll react.
it may be why some of these kids chose nebraska. one would think many of these 4 star recruits would have been more heavily recruited but were not actually chased that hard by other top programs. Frost is willing to take the risk when other top programs can just recruit someone else. might explain why we have so many top recruits supposedly spurn better offers for nebraska.

Spot on.

Attrition from the 2018 recruiting class is over 50%, and if rumors on Fleming are true, the rate on the 2020 class will already be at 20% in less than a year. Frost can't afford a high risk 2021 class, otherwise he better start consulting Hoiberg on how to build a roster from the transfer portal.

Vicious cycle action. You can't build a disciplined team by letting guys break the rules and still get a bunch of PT.

But by that same token they need to start enforcing consequences for screwing up on the field at every position. COUGH COUGH CENTER COUGH.

If you're Will Farniok or anyone else in line at that C position how demotivated are you? You watch that and go, "Well he's screwing it up about as bad as you can but they keep putting him in. Why should anything I do matter?"

They gotta fix that stuff.

I really thought we had something with Fleming after the NW game...then he disappeared.
DISCLAIMER I have no idea if weed has anything to do with him being gone. That said, I suspect that CFB teams are gonna lose TONS of kids for weed unless the NCAA finally decides to stop caring if kids are smoking weed. It's as common to kids today as drinking and tobacco were for us.

Given the timing it could have been grades, aren't lots of schools done with the semester at Thanksgiving?

The portal makes it so easy for kids to quit any more, with this being a free eligibility year it's going to be an absolute carousel after the season ends. IMO you should have to put in 2 years at a school before you can transfer.

Whatever is going on that's a BUNCH of the 4* kids out of the 2020 class no longer on the roster and they have a mediocre 2021 class so far. I'll continue to say, they need about 25 kids every single year because one way or another the attrition is going to happen.

Maybe we can backfill with a couple of good options from the portal.

I read an article a week ago about the large number of players KSU has had transfer mid-season. 10, I think. And aside from an embarrassment in their opener, they got off to a great start in their league by beating OU. Their season has cratered since then. Who knows what drives them away.

Not saying the KSU players are good backfill options for us, but that it is not just a Nebraska problem

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
Maybe we can backfill with a couple of good options from the portal.

I read an article a week ago about the large number of players KSU has had transfer mid-season. 10, I think. And aside from an embarrassment in their opener, they got off to a great start in their league by beating OU. Their season has cratered since then. Who knows what drives them away.

Not saying the KSU players are good backfill options for us, but that it is not just a Nebraska problem
I think this year in particular could be quite a market for transfers, other than perhaps fewer coaching changes due to odd season. I don’t think it’s an ideal way to build a roster, but it may a place to find several replacements.

The instability of our roster has absolutely hurt our ability to develop it.
It’s hard to know what all the causes are, but Frost is gonna need to figure something out.
Someone mentioned it starts with winning, to help give kids a reason to want to be here.

There are usually issues when it comes to JC guys. There are reasons for them going JC in the first place.

I believe all the Florida guys who have transferred out the last 6 months were recruited by T Fisher. Does he get a pass? How about Ron Brown as one of his duties is to help assimilate these guys into the program? IMHO, it’s time Ron moves into retirement. Per his bio,Sean Becton was the recruiting coordinater for HCSF, at UCF, could he not have a greater role in Florida helping filter out the questionable character recruits? Maybe give T Fisher a chance to make an impact in Texas.

At some point maybe the coaches need to be looked at in the low character department......
Because we aren’t winning? There is plenty of evidence that we have some coaches of low quality, but I see nothing that indicated we have coaches with low character.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I have not read the book and I am not young but why would you not want it easy and now?
If you had two choices or two paths (yeah yeah, the road less traveled) why would you not take the one that is easy and has faster results?

If you could move up faster in your career by picking an easier path, you would surely do it.

These guys get 4-5 years to play college football, then it is gone forever. If they hate it or feel left out or don't see a path that leads them to where they hope to go, why would they not explore other options?

Shit, most of us are at work every single day, looking for new/better jobs online.

Now...if THEY are the cause of their own issues that is a bit of a different story.
Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard. Talented players sometimes like to rely on their own skills and are unwilling to refine them through hard work. They cheat themselves and their teammates. There are no shortcuts. Alabama gets the most talented players in the country every year. do you suppose they are also not the hardest working? Surely you understand this.

Reactions: oldjar07
Hard work beats talent when talent won't work hard. Talented players sometimes like to rely on their own skills and are unwilling to refine them through hard work. They cheat themselves and their teammates. There are no shortcuts. Alabama gets the most talented players in the country every year. do you suppose they are also not the hardest working? Surely you understand this.

We have to get talented kids that work hard. Kids like Wandale with both huge athletic upside and a work ethic. We’ve had far too many Fleming’s and Washington’s that have the talent piece and have also had far too many Warner’s and Hixon’s, who just have the character piece.

Last edited:
DISCLAIMER I have no idea if weed has anything to do with him being gone. That said, I suspect that CFB teams are gonna lose TONS of kids for weed unless the NCAA finally decides to stop caring if kids are smoking weed. It's as common to kids today as drinking and tobacco were for us.

The level of stupidity ... it's not the weed, it's what comes with it. And I know you think everyone who smokes weed is of high character, guess what, you're wrong.

The level of stupidity ... it's not the weed, it's what comes with it. And I know you think everyone who smokes weed is of high character, guess what, you're wrong.
I'm not a fan of weed. It will prolly be legal everywhere soon enough. That's inevitable. But I've seen from personal experience that it has ruined many kids because it kills motivation. Very few kids carry a flask around, but quite a few have a vape pen or one-hitter in their pocket that they utilize day and night. You've got to be clear headed to study, practice, concentrate, and learn. If they could limit their use to the weekends, that would be one thing, but most start to use it habitually to relieve stress. It's a gentle sort of abuse. I've seen it up close several times among non athletes. Wake and bake.

Cracks me up, I received discipline from a coach for being a tool so I quit. Weak as lambs.
If that coach is 1-4 and trending in the wrong direction, why would you take discipline from him? Sucking is one thing, but Frost never puts his foot down and let's players do whatever the heck they want when they're here. When a player is used to that, of course he's going to bounce if even the slightest thing doesn't go his way. That's the type of culture Frost is instilling in these kids.

Fleming has been playing, so I don't think that's the issue.

If that coach is 1-4 and trending in the wrong direction, why would you take discipline from him? Sucking is one thing, but Frost never puts his foot down and let's players do whatever the heck they want when they're here. When a player is used to that, of course he's going to bounce if even the slightest thing doesn't go his way. That's the type of culture Frost is instilling in these kids.
What a bunch of nonsense. If the team isn’t winning the players shouldn’t “accept” discipline from the coach? Come on.

Or great programs know how to manage their low character guys a lot better. And they behave themselves because they know they'll be kicked off the team if they don't. And even if they do have to kick a few bad apples out, they don't miss a beat because they have a ton of other guys buying in and playing hard.

And it's a lot easier to take that easy path and do whatever the hell you want when you're in a loser program with a coach that doesn't instill discipline. And you know that coach will never kick you out voluntarily because he's desperate for any shred of talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT