ADVERTISEMENT

"fleck walked into a gold mine".....

What this tells us is that nobody is standing still in college football. Everybody is investing in facilities with all the bells and whistles. I hope Nebraska doesn't get complacent about our facilities. I have no idea where we rate in that area. Top 10? 15? But given our geographical location and that today's recruits have no memory of our glory days, we must rely on coaching, facilities, and fan support/gameday atmosphere to get blue chip athletes here. So we better be keeping up in the facilities war.

according to jerry kill.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/03/3...-kill-says-p-j-fleck-walked-into-a-gold-mine/

time will tell. i read somewhere else where fleck made the comment along the lines of, in 3 years he wants TCF Stadium expanded to 85,000.
I can't figure out what the point would be of increasing the size of the stadium unless it would be to increase the percentage of empty seats. I checked their attendance figures from last year. They failed to sell out a single game in a 50,000 seat stadium. Their last home game, when they were 7-3 had 38,162.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Nice stadium but Minneapolis is a pro sports town and a Vikings town. If he goes 10-2 they may fill the stadium but there is no way they are expanding it. And I don't see him going 12-0 anytime soon. I think it's 50-50 that he even succeeds there.

Nice stadium but Minneapolis is a pro sports town and a Vikings town. If he goes 10-2 they may fill the stadium but there is no way they are expanding it. And I don't see him going 12-0 anytime soon. I think it's 50-50 that he even succeeds there.
Wow 50/50... I thought that was every coaches chances?

I can't figure out what the point would be of increasing the size of the stadium unless it would be to increase the percentage of empty seats. I checked their attendance figures from last year. They failed to sell out a single game in a 50,000 seat stadium. Their last home game, when they were 7-3 had 38,162.
My guess is that what he is saying is that in three years he hopes to have Minnesota playing at such a high caliber that ticket demand will soar. Fat chance.

One of Flecks major accomplishments was getting the attendance up at Central Mich, selling out home games. This is how he sells the recruits and recruits within driving distance to the stadium for mom and dad. He has some interesting insights and can motivate a program.

One of Flecks major accomplishments was getting the attendance up at Central Mich, selling out home games. This is how he sells the recruits and recruits within driving distance to the stadium for mom and dad. He has some interesting insights and can motivate a program.
Western Michigan has a 30,000 seat stadium. Just getting Minnesota to sell out their 50,000 seat stadium on a regular basis would be an accomplishment. Thinking he can get them to the point where they need to add 35,000 seats is a ridiculous pipe dream. It's a pro sports market-that kind of interest just isn't there.

Reactions: timnsun
Western Michigan has a 30,000 seat stadium. Just getting Minnesota to sell out their 50,000 seat stadium on a regular basis would be an accomplishment. Thinking he can get them to the point where they need to add 35,000 seats is a ridiculous pipe dream. It's a pro sports market-that kind of interest just isn't there.
My biggest fear would be that the Vikings go in the tank, the Wolves continue to suck and the Twins remain terrible, if the Gophers put a winning product on the field, they could grow. But I totally agree, 85k is a pipe dream that will never happen.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
My biggest fear would be that the Vikings go in the tank, the Wolves continue to suck and the Twins remain terrible, if the Gophers put a winning product on the field, they could grow. But I totally agree, 85k is a pipe dream that will never happen.
A few thoughts on the subject. First of all Jerry Kill has been a strange story lately. He left on his own accord, team has a huge sex scandal under his former assistants, they get fired and he is upset. Takes another coaching job at Rutgers of all places, despite his health. Most Gophers fans don't know what to think of Kill anymore. Most are happy with the hiring of Fleck, very positive guy with a ton of energy, but no Gopher fans are buying the 85000 seat stadium.

A few thoughts on the subject. First of all Jerry Kill has been a strange story lately. He left on his own accord, team has a huge sex scandal under his former assistants, they get fired and he is upset. Takes another coaching job at Rutgers of all places, despite his health. Most Gophers fans don't know what to think of Kill anymore. Most are happy with the hiring of Fleck, very positive guy with a ton of energy, but no Gopher fans are buying the 85000 seat stadium.
Living here in the twin cities, Kill was a great coach who started the turnaround. To see him now sure seems odd, as all he has been doing is discrediting Minnesota. I always liked him but he sure could be a little more gracious...

50/50 is great odds.

Fleck is a rah-rah guy and while nobody really believes Gopher football is going to be the toast of the Twin Cities, it's his job to try to generate enthusiasm for the program. I've always liked Jerry Kill, but he needs to just let Fleck have his day and not get overly sensitive about the situation. It's not Fleck's fault that Kill and Claeys are gone.

ADVERTISEMENT