ADVERTISEMENT

Fitzgerald

This is a pretty good move for him. He'll make plenty of money over his career, his family gets stability, and the expectations are pretty low at northwestern.

Pretty much a no brainer. Even if he did leave I’m sure there is a massive buyout attached to it.

A worse-than-Pelini winning percentage and won't embarrass you. Careful, our resident Nebraska troll will accuse you guys of having aspirations of being NW next.

lol! Pelini took over a good program and left it in worse shape than he found it. Fitzy took the program to new heights it’s never seen before.

Fitzy took the program to new heights it’s never seen before.
The previous coach before him win a big 10 title. The previous coach before that also won a big ten title. Fitzy has not. It conference title is judge of new heights i disagree

Reactions: timnsun
The previous coach before him win a big 10 title. The previous coach before that also won a big ten title. Fitzy has not. It conference title is judge of new heights i disagree
He just says stuff without much thought beforehand. He’s good at making stuff up.

Good for Northwestern they now have great stability in their football program...

Also shows what great facilities can do for the program..

Reactions: Mrs.Jeans15
The advent of conference title games has made conference championship comparisons from other eras moot.

Northwestern's 2000 team, coached by Randy Walker, finished in a three-way tie for the conference title at 6-2, in a conference of 11 teams, so in the top 27 percent of teams. No playoff, same trophy.

Fitz has had one of the top two teams in the 14-team Big Ten twice in the last three years, meaning he's been in the top 14 percent of the conference in both 2018 and 2020. Both of those seasons are better than anything Walker put up there, who finished tied for third in the second-best of his seven seasons as coach.

The advent of conference title games has made conference championship comparisons from other eras moot.

Northwestern's 2000 team, coached by Randy Walker, finished in a three-way tie for the conference title at 6-2, in a conference of 11 teams, so in the top 27 percent of teams. No playoff, same trophy.

Fitz has had one of the top two teams in the 14-team Big Ten twice in the last three years, meaning he's been in the top 14 percent of the conference in both 2018 and 2020. Both of those seasons are better than anything Walker put up there, who finished tied for third in the second-best of his seven seasons as coach.

Wasn’t that Northwestern team that shared the Big 10 title beaten by Nebraska in the Alamo Bowl 66-14?

He just says stuff without much thought beforehand. He’s good at making stuff up.
Not sure what I made up. NW has a title trophy for Walkers team and Barnett’s team but not Fitz. If judgment is other, then Fits is better than them but I thought this board judged teams in titles when I see responses to Iowa fans.

Winning the West doesn't really make you one of the top 2 teams in the BiG TeN though.

Close. It was 66-17. And everyone was whining that we were running up the score with FIVE MINUTES LEFT IN THE THIRD QUARTER!

Clerical error on my part..

Ya I had some Ioway friends that were crying after the game that Solich and Nebraska had NO class running up the score..Laughing

Didn’t hear them complain when we lost to Wisky in the B1G CCG in 2012..

Not sure what I made up. NW has a title trophy for Walkers team and Barnett’s team but not Fitz. If judgment is other, then Fits is better than them but I thought this board judged teams in titles when I see responses to Iowa fans.
Not you, the guy you quoted. He just makes stuff up without thinking. I appreciated your post.

Sorry for the confusion.

LOL. He took a page right out of the book from Kirk Ferentz. You have your agent plant rumors about you going to an NFL team. Then you can shake down the school for a fat extension contract.

Has been working like a charm for Kirk for years now. Those rumors always caused the Hawkeyes to panic and crap their pants. Laughing

Last edited:

You are 100 percent right in recognizing the success of his predecessors. Fitz deserves credit for being part of the turnaround (as a player and team captain), but the program he inherited as a coach was not terrible. I hate the narrative that Fitz built the program because it is just not true.

Has Fitz taken the program to new heights? Absolutely.

Barnett and Walker had losing records at Northwestern and never won a bowl game. Fitz actually has a winning lifetime conference record which is not easy to pull off at Northwestern.

You are 100 percent right in recognizing the success of his predecessors. Fitz deserves credit for being part of the turnaround (as a player and team captain), but the program he inherited as a coach was not terrible. I hate the narrative that Fitz built the program because it is just not true.

Has Fitz taken the program to new heights? Absolutely.

Barnett and Walker had losing records at Northwestern and never won a bowl game. Fitz actually has a winning lifetime conference record which is not easy to pull off at Northwestern.

Yeah. Big 10 champs means nothing..lol

Tough to make that argument unless you want to say that the creation of the college football playoff makes national championship comparisons from other era’s (all of ours) moot as well.

Reactions: 9and4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT