ADVERTISEMENT

Fit O/ Flavor of the week

A

anon_ra9uhqho6u5t2

Feels like MJ is winning the job and a natural fit. Some good names out there but more apt to lean toward fit at this point—with a highly incentivized shorter-term contract

I’m not that confident that any of the candidates (realistic candidates) would be better. If you announce it now, he can start working to get the pieces in place and build for ‘23. I don’t think he’ll play staff or player favorites and do what he needs to quickly. Keeping him at interim status might make some of the other staff decisions harder. I know he fired Chin but that was inevitable

If Mickey is worthy of a power 5 - blue blood head coaching job then why should he settle for less than market value?

at minimum Nebraska’s head coach should be making top 5 money in the conference

if trev thinks he is the guy then pay him
This is a very, very good post. I couldn’t agree more and frankly think we’re lowballing the hell out of Mickey right now with his interim deal.

If Mickey is worthy of a power 5 - blue blood head coaching job then why should he settle for less than market value?

I’m not saying below market value, just more incentive based and shorter term.

A big name coach is going to be in the 8-10M range with a longer term guarantee.

Maybe Mickey wants to prove his ability to be named the HC and would gladly take a highly incentivized 5-7 and 3 YR guarantee

Reactions: huntered

A big name coach is going to be in the 8-10M range with a longer term guarantee.

Maybe Mickey wants to prove his ability to be named the HC and would gladly take a highly incentivized 5-7 and 3 YR guarantee
No big time programs are offering up 3 year contracts that are highly incentived

let trev bet on himself and the university that they are competent enough to hire a successful coach and then pay them accordingly

employers love to ask employees to “bet on themselves” by taking less money and assuming all the risk

Yeah, I’m not on board with him getting the gig just yet, but if he does, he will get real contract. The only thing MJ has proven is that, under his watch, the season and program hasn’t completely melted down just yet. Hope we make a run and the gig is truly earned.

Market demand drives price. Do we have any competition for his services as HC? I’m not opposed him getting what he deserves. If it’s the highest in the league, so be it

Reactions: Lincoln100
Give him 10M a year, who cares. I just think he’s winning the job
No way Mickey will get 10M..

SF made 5M and Ferentz is payed 6M which sounds more like it.
Lane Kiffin makes 7.5M as a proven Head Coach, Mickey shouldn’t be paid more than that..

Reactions: BleedRed78
Think it’s funny that sooo many people on this board are against giving Mikey the job. My 2 favorite reasons why he shouldn’t have the job

1) he shouldn’t cut his teeth as a HC of a P5 blue blood… number 1, 3, & 6 in all time school wins cut their HC teeth coaching @ Nebraska. TO, Solich, and Bo all had zero HC experience coaching experience in college football before they got the Nebraska gig… think it worked out just fine in all 3 spots. None of those coaches ever had a losing season and we always went bowling. The so called big name coaches / flavor of the years like Scott and BC couldn’t do that

2) His bad use of timeouts… this reason makes me laugh. Seems like a cop out Or an excuse. Come on, get real. I’m willing to have some TO growing pains for improvement on the field

No way Mickey will get 10M..

SF made 5M and Ferentz is payed 6M which sounds more like it.
Lane Kiffin makes 7.5M as a proven Head Coach, Mickey shouldn’t be paid more than that..
I was being a little “tongue in cheek” there—should’ve added the emoji

Some of the big names being thrown around will want 10M range. Jobs are opening up and the bidding wars will start

I say give Mickey the HC title with a little less risk in the contract. Not a garbage contract—but maybe not something similar to Saban’s last contract 🥴

One thing I think you are getting with MJ that you cannot buy with any amount of money....is genuine passion and a love for the job and a relentness pursuit of wanting to be successful. With a lot of retreads, I wonder if those qualities are in the rear view mirror most times, and it is more about the $$$.

Feels like MJ is winning the job and a natural fit. Some good names out there but more apt to lean toward fit at this point—with a highly incentivized shorter-term contract

I’m not that confident that any of the candidates (realistic candidates) would be better. If you announce it now, he can start working to get the pieces in place and build for ‘23. I don’t think he’ll play staff or player favorites and do what he needs to quickly. Keeping him at interim status might make some of the other staff decisions harder. I know he fired Chin but that was inevitable
How many usernames do you have?

Reactions: scarletred
Today? None.

the day after thanksgiving, he will have his pick of attractive options

typical NU to pay the minimum while keeping expectations at maximum
He's an intern right now. If he does well, he will get paid well, as it should be. You have a problem with that?

Reactions: scarletred
Leave it to message board fans to find something wrong with a win-win situation that everyone is happy with including the coach, the AD, the players, the boosters, and the majority of fans.

I’m sure Mickey knew this was a potential scenario when he agreed to come here

He’s been given (given) an opportunity to lead. I like him and would like to see him get a few more tools added to his tool belt. Being named the full time Head Coach gives him those tools to use now to upgrade and recruit

So what you are saying is you are taking him as the best available, not your first choice so you are going to give him a chance to earn the real.big bucks. In the meantime, what happens to the program with this experiment?

Either you find your guy or you dont. It seems like a low ball, short term, incentive based contract is a lack of confidence. That's me.

So what you are saying is you are taking him as the best available, not your first choice so you are going to give him a chance to earn the real.big bucks. In the meantime, what happens to the program with this experiment?

Either you find your guy or you dont. It seems like a low ball, short term, incentive based contract is a lack of confidence. That's me.
Yes, I’m saying that I think he is the best available for Nebraska right now. Pay him whatever you want—I really don’t care about the contract

If Kong is right, and programs start coming after him to be their next Head Coach at the end of year, it looks like MJ will be okay either way

Yes, I’m saying that I think he is the best available for Nebraska right now. Pay him whatever you want—I really don’t care about the contract

If Kong is right, and programs start coming after him to be their next Head Coach at the end of year, it looks like MJ will be okay either way
Going away from a standard contract to one that says "prove' it is not expressing confidence. Call it incentives, short term, whatever and if teams are lined up for his services, good for him and his family and the short term, incentive contract for Nebraska becomes a joke.

Last edited:
2-2 with 2 wins against the two worst teams in the big ten? Wow the program his set the standard low
Oh, so now we’re only going off of current records? That’s gonna narrow the ‘viable options’ down

Who would you interview right now (that isn’t a pipe dream)?

Reactions: BleedRed78
Going away from a standard conteaxt to one that says "prove' it is not expressing confidence. Call it incentives, short term, whatever and if teams are lines up for his services, good for him and his family and the short term, incentive contract for Nebraska becomes a joke.
I think incentives heavy contracts should become the standard

The best people in their business stay hungry and want high reward for their success. Don’t know what Mickey’s expectations are, but it’s a lot of money anyway you slice it

I saw where Prime was making 500K / Yr Jackson State. He didn’t seem too pissed about it—seemed pretty passionate about what he was doing. The big money comes with success

Oh, so now we’re only going off of current records? That’s gonna narrow the ‘viable options’ down

Who would you interview right now (that isn’t a pipe dream)?
Well inferior Frank I would interview leipold, Calhoun, alex grinch, Aranda. Assuming urban said no.

Well inferior Frank I would interview leipold, Calhoun, alex grinch, Aranda. Assuming urban said no.
Contradicting yourself a little, don’t you think?
LL 2-2 (5-2) 5th in Big 12
Aranda 1-3 (3-3) 8th in Big 12
Grinch (interesting but not sure he’s an upgrade over MJ)
Calhoun (academy coach. Good but may not translate to Lincoln)
Urban (yes, pipe dream)

Someone mentioned Doug Belk earlier. Who’s to say he wouldn’t join Mickey? Belk seems on par with Grinch. I’m confident Mickey would be able to build it

Contradicting yourself a little, don’t you think?
LL 2-2 (5-2) 5th in Big 12
Aranda 1-3 (3-3) 8th in Big 12
Grinch (interesting but not sure he’s an upgrade over MJ)
Calhoun (academy coach. Good but may not translate to Lincoln)
Urban (yes, pipe dream)

Someone mentioned Doug Belk earlier. Who’s to say he wouldn’t join Mickey? Belk seems on par with Grinch. I’m confident Mickey would be able to build it
Add O’Brien to the list. I would like to know publicly who Mickey would hire as coordinators but that won’t happen.

Add O’Brien to the list. I would like to know publicly who Mickey would hire as coordinators but that won’t happen.
I would rather have Rhule and odds are looking pretty good for him

Saw Jim Leonard on BTN. I think he’ll be a good one for UW. I’d be shocked if they didn’t give it to him. Don’t think they pursue LL - he’s good but don’t think he’s a long view hire

Mickey is still learning on the job as a HC, so don't expect him to be perfect. But he clearly has the energy and level headed approach. Hope he can finish strong against the remainder of our opponents, and continue to rally the team ahead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT