ADVERTISEMENT

First Husker Memory?

1992 Iowa State on radio (only remember because my dad was so upset listening to it while it was occurring).

1994 Orange Bowl vs. Florida State on TV.

1994 Kansas in person.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
1989 - We lived in Colorado and went to the game. We lost, but I just remember how shitty the people were to all of the NU fans.

On the reverse, the first game I truly remember was the 1992 Colorado game on Halloween. Awesome experience. Drove in from Colorado Springs and Calvin Jones was my favorite player for a long time.

First memory was 1963 after JFK was assassinated Nebraska played Oklahoma for the Big 8 championship.

KLIN in Lincoln decided to televise the game and my father had a antenna here in west Omaha so we could watch the game, he had friends from work watch it with us.

1st memory was the 83 orange bowl watching on a scrambled black and white 11" tv/radio at my parentd gas station..
1st game was 86 ou vs NU in lincoln.. Keith jackson beat us I believe on a long td grab.. fell in love with the place that day.. still remember my dad and his friend sneaking in a bottle of peach scnapps..lol it was an 11 am kickoff lol good times

Reactions: scarletred
Mine was the 1971 orange bowl, black and white tv with a snowy screen, still remember Taggie scoring the final touchdown

This is the first memory of Husker football for me, as well. Unfortunately, one of my first memories has always lasted more than that iconic event. On October 13, 1973 the local Methodist church burned to the ground. I remember watching the firemen attend to the fire while sitting on my bike listening to the Huskers on the radio lose to Missouri 13-12.

Mine was the 1971 orange bowl, black and white tv with a snowy screen, still remember Taggie scoring the final touchdown
That whole day would be my first Husker memory. I remember my Dad and older brother trying to explain to me why I should be rooting for this team instead of that team in the earlier bowl games, and how happy they were about all the outcomes.

Reactions: saluno22
My first memory was seeing a bunch of white helmets with the skinny red N on them and I thought that was really neat. I was born at the beginning of football season so I was probably only a couple months old.

My dad took me to the 1987 Nebraska vs Utah St game, my first in person game in Lincoln, and we drove up from Wichita, where we were living at the time.

I remember Nebraska winning handily, and also I went to the bathroom at halftime, and when my dad and I were returning to our seats, they roped off the way so the players could walk out to the field for the second half. At 12 years old, I was shocked by how big those guys were, was really cool to see them up close. I remember #68 Jake Young looking just massive.

I remember being in my Dad's pickup with the game on the radio, and Dad told me the quarterback was from his home town. Jeff Quinn from Ord.

First Memory is pretty good. 1971 NU/OU "Game of the Century". Adjusted our Thanksgiving to watch the game. Remember watching in my parents basement with the grandparents screaming. My most vivid memory was the tear away jerseys of Kinney and Tagge late in the game.

In person - 1972 vs Minnesota. Started a four game streak of shutouts for NU. Went down with my dad on a chartered bus from the Trackside Lounge. Local bars used to charter buses down to games and would park in the old lots north of the stadium. This want away in the 80s. Tons of memories riding the bus to the games as a youth.

You mean Kinnney scoring the last TD..Winking
5af9ec1525f94.image.jpg

My first experience was, I used Pete Tatemans ID and student ticket to go watch my first game in 1967. I’ve not missed many games since. Either on the radio KFAB, Lyle B or on tv and now my pc.

Reactions: Baxter48
First memory of any kind was having the Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl in 1976 on TV while I was celebrating my 5th birthday. I don't remember anything about it-just that it was on TV. First actual memory of watching a game was the 1978 NU-OU game. I also remember the headline in the Journal-Star the next morning "We did it!".

As far as actually watching an entire game it was 1976 Blue Bonnet Bowl vs Texas Tech.

Although I do remember watching bits and pieces of the 1975 Sun Bowl, but vaguely.

I do recall listening to numerous games on the radio from '74-'76.

Listened and watched games on radio and TV but these are the first ones I remember.

Radio: I remember the announcer calling Jarvis Redwine's name. No idea when but it was remember-able.

TV: The Orange Bowl against Miami, 1983-84 is the first memory on TV. Had my note cards ready to draw up the national champion plays I saw.

Live: Versus K-State would have been 88-89ish. Cold. Was introduced to women's volley ball that day. Oh to be the towel boy on one of those teams.

My dad took me to the 1987 Nebraska vs Utah St game, my first in person game in Lincoln, and we drove up from Wichita, where we were living at the time.

I remember Nebraska winning handily, and also I went to the bathroom at halftime, and when my dad and I were returning to our seats, they roped off the way so the players could walk out to the field for the second half. At 12 years old, I was shocked by how big those guys were, was really cool to see them up close. I remember #68 Jake Young looking just massive.
That was my first game too.

First memory: 1984 Syracuse. I was too young to really know much about it other than my parents and grandparents were all really upset, so it was obvious that football was a bigger deal than I realized at 6 years old.

1971 orange bowl vs LSU. As others have stated, black and white TV with rabbit ears.
We were way, way higher tech than that. Had a TV antenna on a pole attached to the house, that could be turned with a pipe wrench to improve reception!

Reactions: huskerfan66
We were way, way higher tech than that. Had a TV antenna on a pole attached to the house, that could be turned with a pipe wrench to improve reception!
My uncle had color tv plus a antenna with rotator, top of the line back then

As a kid, I watched the Colorado and Nebraska game where we let Colorado score 50-something on us. I believe that was around the time Callahan got cut. My uncle looked at me and said "no reason Colorado should ever score 40 on Nebraska ever".

Actually at home we were too. At Grandma's for the day. There was an antenna on the roof with those brown flat three prong antenna strips. Unfortunately got better reception with the rabbit ears. I think someone might have tried to add a coat hanger

Reactions: schuele
wow you neighbor made good money, I think color TV sets back then we’re close to a grand

Not exactly, your way off. Of course my father fixed TV’s back in the day for extra income...
Maybe 300.00.

I remember watching the Arkansas and texass game in 1969 in color..

ADVERTISEMENT