ADVERTISEMENT

First four game stats

SnohomishRed

Offensive Coordinator
Jan 31, 2005
Snohomish
If we had a defense right now, we would be a very dangerous team to deal with. However, as it stands, we have to win shoot-outs each week.

Put the top 22 on defense and note the games missed in just the first four. Perspective people. Very young and missing scholarship tested talent.

Don't like the numbers for total passing turnover margin net punting penalties and KO returns, etc. Experience is lacking it will get get better. Right now shoot outs have been the norm. It will get better as guys get healthy.

Next man up works great with guys that can play at that level. Not sure we have three guys at spots that can.

Reactions: G0B1GRED
Put the top 22 on defense and note the games missed in just the first four. Perspective people. Very young and missing scholarship tested talent.

Don't like the numbers for total passing turnover margin net punting penalties and KO returns, etc. Experience is lacking it will get get better. Right now shoot outs have been the norm. It will get better as guys get healthy.

Next man up works great with guys that can play at that level. Not sure we have three guys at spots that can.

Completely fair, but we've been in shootouts with not-so-great teams. One of which just got shutout by a team in our division.

BYU wasn't the BYU that played the Huskers, game one. New QB, 4th game in 4 time zones against 4 quality teams. We switch schedule and play them 4th and Meat chicken plays them first, BYU is still 2-2 and we are 3-1 and Michigan is 2-2.

The team this year is going to have to win games in ways that our fans might not like, but they will win games and advance. This year is about setting the culture and surviving the injuries.

Reactions: dinglefritz
We switch schedule and play them 4th and Meat chicken plays them first, BYU is still 2-2 and we are 3-1 and Michigan is 2-2.

Disagree. Michigan has a pretty solid defense and that is why they were kept in check. Michigan would not lose to BYU. Michigan should have beat Utah too and Utah is looking better and better as the season goes on. Harbaugh is the real deal. Michigan may take it on the chin a couple times this year, but could be really good in a couple years.

Disagree. Michigan has a pretty solid defense and that is why they were kept in check. Michigan would not lose to BYU. Michigan should have beat Utah too and Utah is looking better and better as the season goes on. Harbaugh is the real deal. Michigan may take it on the chin a couple times this year, but could be really good in a couple years.
I said if from the minute they hired him. Michigan had talent everywhere but at QB. They have recruited very well everywhere but there. All Harbaugh needed was a QB to be successful and I'm surprised at how well he has Ruddock playing. IF he can make Ruddock manage games and not lose them, they have a shot to be pretty good.

I said if from the minute they hired him. Michigan had talent everywhere but at QB. They have recruited very well everywhere but there. All Harbaugh needed was a QB to be successful and I'm surprised at how well he has Ruddock playing. IF he can make Ruddock manage games and not lose them, they have a shot to be pretty good.

If Michigan didn't have a crap QB they might be up there in the polls. IMO, Rudock held them back in the Utah game, and will probably be the source of any other loss they may have. Harbaugh is a stud plain and simple. How long will he last???? Is he crazy??? Guy can coach, and people who can't see that are pretty funny.

Have you watched Michigan the last five years? Talent everywhere but qb? They couldn't run the ball to save their lives. Their backs were were terrible and their lines were worse.

Last edited:
Have you watched Michigan the last five years? Talent everywhere but qb? They couldn't run the ball to save their lives. Their backs were were terrible and their lines were worse.
Yeah they sure looked "terrible" saturday against BYU. Looked to me like they have a ton of talent just like their recruiting classes 3 or 4 years ago would suggest they should have. All he needed was a QB and somehow he is making Ruddock work. I guess that shouldn't surprise me given what he did with Smith and Kaep when he first got to San Fran. Hokes' offensive coaching was a joke.

they have 4 and 5 star ol. hoke did recuit well be he couldn't develop that talent at all. it was hard for the rb to anything when they were hit 5 yards in the backfield on every play. new coaching staff oline starts to look like what they were rated. the rb looks better. the same wr that were not that good are getting open every week. including the Utah game. every position group and special teams has improved alot from last year.

Yeah they sure looked "terrible" saturday against BYU. Looked to me like they have a ton of talent just like their recruiting classes 3 or 4 years ago would suggest they should have. All he needed was a QB and somehow he is making Ruddock work. I guess that shouldn't surprise me given what he did with Smith and Kaep when he first got to San Fran. Hokes' offensive coaching was a joke.
so was hokes coaching staff. this is were they moved to akron, Wyoming, san jose state, division 2. the db were having problems 2 years ago so instead of firing the db coach he moved him to lb coach. he takes the lb coach who played lb in college and had never coached any other position other than lb and makes him db coach. well the db get even worse and the lb unit gets worse. harbaugh brings in 2 db coaches that played and coached in the nfl. now every db are playing lights out

so was hokes coaching staff. this is were they moved to akron, Wyoming, san jose state, division 2. the db were having problems 2 years ago so instead of firing the db coach he moved him to lb coach. he takes the lb coach who played lb in college and had never coached any other position other than lb and makes him db coach. well the db get even worse and the lb unit gets worse. harbaugh brings in 2 db coaches that played and coached in the nfl. now every db are playing lights out

Didn't like Hoke's staff, but they did have Greg Mattison...who I think is one of the better defensive coordinators and d-line coaches. Harbaugh retained him.

If we had a defense right now, we would be a very dangerous team to deal with. However, as it stands, we have to win shoot-outs each week.
Maybe but the stats are skewed because we're behind playing against prevent Ds too. TA and Newby are nothing special we just don't have talent anywhere.

Maybe but the stats are skewed because we're behind playing against prevent Ds too. TA and Newby are nothing special we just don't have talent anywhere.

Lol... You apparently have zero clue about a "prevent defense." Nebraska's talent at QB and Receiver is as good as any team in the Big Ten.. Your opinion is laughable.

Hoke recruited extremely well, so the cupboard was pretty full for Jimmy.
Wish we could say the same, but it was clear to Riley what he was stepping into.

Didn't like Hoke's staff, but they did have Greg Mattison...who I think is one of the better defensive coordinators and d-line coaches. Harbaugh retained him.
yep. he saved hoke bacon for as long as he good but he was not given quality guys to work with on the defensive staff. that's one of the reasons they went at each other in a couple games last year. only reason hoke got him was because they had been friends for a long time. with him just coaching the dline. that unit has improved.

Congrats on having the 102nd best defense in the nation. It's a real privilege to be a "black shirt," just wanna know where I can pick one up...

Laughing
Congrats on having the 102nd best defense in the nation. It's a real privilege to be a "black shirt," just wanna know where I can pick one up...

Hey...it's better to be a Blackshirt than the "bully of the big ten." The bully that is under .500 in the Big Ten since the Huskers joined.

I'll go with 72nd best since last I checked, the amount of points given up is what loses games not yards. Not stellar by any means, but I can only hope they continue to stuff the run and improve in the pass D and that should bring that number down even further soon.

ADVERTISEMENT