ADVERTISEMENT

Firing assistant coaches does no good if the schemes do not change too

antirowboat

Junior
Jan 30, 2021
People say that Austin should be fired. I don't argue against his bad coaching ability, but you have to realize that changing the OL coach will do no good if the schemes do not change too. The new guy would be told to teach the same technique that has been a disaster......Frost screen scheme instead of what should be used, which is the zone scheme that Iowa uses.

It's the same thing with special teams. If Frost doesn't change the importance/emphasis of special teams during practice, hiring a special teams coordinator will do no good since it's not an emphasis as much as it should be.

Not many realize the real problem are the schemes being used for this offense. RB recruiting is focused on guys who are told "we want you to make one cut and go." WR/RB combo is dumb in the Big Ten. The linebackers in the Big Ten are nothing like the Pac 12 and ACC and the LOS in the Big Ten is man football. There was a reason why Oregon never won a national title under Chip Kelly.

When two out of three phases of the team need a complete overhaul, it's due to having the wrong head coach in place, not simply replacing a position coach.

When Brett made a change to his OL coach at Wisconsin, he didn't change the scheme, he brought in someone that could do a better job of teaching it and it worked. When Minnesota fired their DC, they didn't change schemes. They needed someone that could coach better and call better defensive plays. It worked.

When Ohio State took Coombs's responsibility away from calling the defense after Oregon, they didn't change schemes. It worked.

If you want better special teams and offensive play, you will need to change the schemes.

People say that Austin should be fired. I don't argue against his bad coaching ability, but you have to realize that changing the OL coach will do no good if the schemes do not change too. The new guy would be told to teach the same technique that has been a disaster......Frost screen scheme instead of what should be used, which is the zone scheme that Iowa uses.

It's the same thing with special teams. If Frost doesn't change the importance/emphasis of special teams during practice, hiring a special teams coordinator will do no good since it's not an emphasis as much as it should be.

Not many realize the real problem are the schemes being used for this offense. RB recruiting is focused on guys who are told "we want you to make one cut and go." WR/RB combo is dumb in the Big Ten. The linebackers in the Big Ten are nothing like the Pac 12 and ACC and the LOS in the Big Ten is man football. There was a reason why Oregon never won a national title under Chip Kelly.

When two out of three phases of the team need a complete overhaul, it's due to having the wrong head coach in place, not simply replacing a position coach.

When Brett made a change to his OL coach at Wisconsin, he didn't change the scheme, he brought in someone that could do a better job of teaching it and it worked. When Minnesota fired their DC, they didn't change schemes. They needed someone that could coach better and call better defensive plays. It worked.

When Ohio State took Coombs's responsibility away from calling the defense after Oregon, they didn't change schemes. It worked.

If you want better special teams and offensive play, you will need to change the schemes.
So, what if the new guy teaches the scheme better? That can’t work, right?

This post is more propaganda from you pining for a switch to option football. I admire your persistence… but this post is a fail, particularly if the new coach is a good teacher.

What will your next new thread about option football be?

So, what if the new guy teaches the scheme better? That can’t work, right?

This post is more propaganda from you pining for a switch to option football. I admire your persistence… but this post is a fail, particularly if the new coach is a good teacher.

What will your next new thread about option football be?
It's not who is teaching it in this case as much as the scheme that is resulting in the problems. When 60% of the pass plays end up in the QB getting pressured, which was the case against Michigan State, that is 100% on the scheme. The way Frost wants the OL to block allows for the DL to gain leverage on pass plays instead of the OL gaining the leverage. It's why the OL looks so bad every week no mattter who Nebraska is playing.

The more you post, the more you prove you have no clue what you are talking about. I am still waiting to hear what "shield" and "gap" blocks are. I have been critical of Austin for 3 years based on what basic technique I saw lacking. It has nothing to do with the scheme as you call it. I am one who believes almost anything can work if you have the right players and coaching.

How about giving it a rest and let Trev do his job. Here is another hint, they aren't going to hire any of us, no matter what confusing jargon you use.

Last edited:

Jeeezus, you need to step back. In this one post you argued at the jump that changing the coach will do no good unless you change the scheme.

Then you spent time laying out examples where changing the scheme wasn't necessary, just the coach.

Then at the end you go back to your scree of changing the coach does no good unless you change the scheme.

Making a monkey butt out of yourself is ok when no one is looking but in this forum?

Jeeezus, you need to step back. In this one post you argued at the jump that changing the coach will do no good unless you change the scheme.

Then you spent time laying out examples where changing the scheme wasn't necessary, just the coach.

Then at the end you go back to your scree of changing the coach does no good unless you change the scheme.

Making a monkey butt out of yourself is ok when no one is looking but in this forum?
You failed to comprehend what I am saying. In some situations, schemes do not need to change since it's the right method for execution and provided examples of that, but in some other cases, it's the schemes that are the problem. In the case of Scott Frost, it's the schemes that are the root of the problems.

The more you post, the more you prove you have no clue what you are talking about. I am still waiting to hear what "shield" and "gap" blocks are. I have been critical of Austin for 3 years based on what basic technique I saw lacking. It has nothing to do with the scheme as you call it. I one who believes almost anything can work if you have the right players and coaching.

How about giving it a rest and let Trev do his job. Here is another hint, they aren't going to hire any of us, no matter what confusing jargon you use.
You seriously don't know the difference?

Zone = all 5 work together to wall off defenders and some will teach a downhill technique to zone blocking as Iowa does.

The shield blocking is forcing the OL to step back and block down the line.

Frost has already gone through 3 different special teams names and a 4th one isn't going to make the difference unless things are changed internally in the program.

You may hate reading it and think it's just a bunch of stupid crap, but it's the truth.

I comprehended the bolded above really well.

Just stop. You're drooling on yourself.

You failed to comprehend what I am saying. In some situations, schemes do not need to change since it's the right method for execution and provided examples of that, but in some other cases, it's the schemes that are the problem. In the case of Scott Frost, it's the schemes that are the root of the problems.
You fail on every post because you don't understand football and think "smash mouth" is an actual thing.

You seriously don't know the difference?

Zone = all 5 work together to wall off defenders and some will teach a downhill technique to zone blocking as Iowa does.

The shield blocking is forcing the OL to step back and block down the line.

Frost has already gone through 3 different special teams names and a 4th one isn't going to make the difference unless things are changed internally in the program.

You may hate reading it and think it's just a bunch of stupid crap, but it's the truth.
You don’t know the difference between outside zone and inside zone.

The more you post, the more you prove you have no clue what you are talking about. I am still waiting to hear what "shield" and "gap" blocks are. I have been critical of Austin for 3 years based on what basic technique I saw lacking. It has nothing to do with the scheme as you call it. I am one who believes almost anything can work if you have the right players and coaching.

Gotta love message boards. It gives a voice to the little people.... and idiots.

Reactions: Laner2
And the Frost lovers think these things:

1: That Frost will actually want to make changes. Not something will do on his own. If froced, he will still refuse.

2: He will not change his schemes. Hasn't going on 4 years now.

3: Somehow recruits will jump for the sky to play for a head coach with 4 straight losing seasons......look at all of those 4-star visitors this season for the 2023 class from out of state.

Frost lovers are going to do more harm than good.

IF Frost has to be forced to make changes, he's not the right coach with the right leadership for a winning program.
I don't think he's going to have to be forced actually. He and Austin have had some somewhat public "discussions" this fall. I think he'll do what is right without coercion. Finding a spot for a special teams coordinator is tricky. I think the obvious guy to get the axe is Grandpa Potter.

The difference is blocking on the back end. The “zone” aspect comes in with “uncovered” linemen. If “uncovered,” the lineman must step playside. Next question.
You really should just quit, you keep digging a hole with your lack of knowledge. Perhaps you could even Google zone blocking. There is nothing about uncovered, covered, gap blocking, or shield blocking. There are trap, wham, cut, drive, pin and chip to name a few. Provide a link for all of us to read up on these you say Frost is teaching.

Reactions: dinglefritz
lol. No wonder why some Love Frots so much. They don't even comprehend basic football fundamentals like blocking schemes.

And the Frost lovers think these things:

1: That Frost will actually want to make changes. Not something will do on his own. If froced, he will still refuse.

2: He will not change his schemes. Hasn't going on 4 years now.

3: Somehow recruits will jump for the sky to play for a head coach with 4 straight losing seasons......look at all of those 4-star visitors this season for the 2023 class from out of state.

Frost lovers are going to do more harm than good.
It's not Frost lovers it's anti haters. You've been on here before under different handles, it's obvious now. You should stop

lol. No wonder why some Love Frots so much. They don't even comprehend basic football fundamentals like blocking schemes.

Give it a rest please. You're telling me that scarlet, Tuco, Rambo and a TON of guys on here don't know how the game is played?

I'm not an expert, and I bloviate like some of the others. But, insuating you are the king shit cop on this board is a fallacy.

Frost ran the same scheme in Year 1 with the Farmer switch and NU moved the ball very well, including a really good Ohio State team on the road. It's not the scheme, it's the athletes they have trying to run that scheme. And SF's insistence to begrudgingly make a change(s).

Give it a rest please. You're telling me that scarlet, Tuco, Rambo and a TON of guys on here don't know how the game is played?

I'm not an expert, and I bloviate like some of the others. But, insuating you are the king shit cop on this board is a fallacy.

Frost ran the same scheme in Year 1 with the Farmer switch and NU moved the ball very well, including a really good Ohio State team on the road. It's not the scheme, it's the athletes they have trying to run that scheme. And SF's insistence to begrudgingly make a change(s).
Some of us, such as myself, understand very well that we don't know x's and o's well enough to argue with some of the posters on this board. He's oblivious to his ignorance. Even though I've played the game and could have continued to play in college if I hadn't taken advantage of an academic scholarship to NU, I've never really studied the intricacies of football coaching. I guess unlike antirowtheboat, huskerfaninwisci or whatever his next name will be, I never played video games......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT