ADVERTISEMENT

Field Goal Kicker

I'm about ready to say that we need to start a collective here in Nebraska that will pay highschool soccer players 5000 a year to kick footballs through the uprights and practice punts for an hour twice a week throughout the year all through highschool. Not promises for a scholarship or anything, just to kick footballs. That's 416 bucks a month for 8 hours of practice on footballs. Nebraska coaches then can recruit the best of those guys when they are getting close to graduation if they see a good one.

Reactions: Meanfarmer3160
Any club soccer players that can tryout? I feel like we had a soccer player at PK at one point - may have been Henery?

Edit: looks like it was Matt Waldoch?

Last edited:
Having a solid kicker as a program that strives and acts like it wants to be at the top should never be an issue. Kickers have one task, do not need to learn multiple formations or plays; it is a singular task they do for a decade of their life before they go to college. If a big time coach cannot keep a good, reliable FG kicker they should evaluate their career.

Yeah people seem to be ignoring the bad snaps and Buschini failing to get the laces out (probably because the snaps are not on target).
^^^This^^^ I don’t think the missed field goal was the kicker’s fault. That kick had proper height and distance. But he hooked it left probably because he could not strike the ball properly since the laces were facing him. It is just like trying to hit a golf ball that has caked on mud on the strike surface.

Former kicker here. The laces were toward the inside. If anything, that should have pushed the ball to the right. He missed wide left. That was all on the kicker

As a former long snapper (JV high school football), I just know it wasn't on the snapper.

While not as bad as the Sims experiment last year kicking it going to cost them again as the season goes on. The knew almost all off season and even last year this would/could be a real problem. I mean chasing 3 is hard when you can’t make a 39yd FG.

Many of us said that before the season started. I know I was saying back after I watched the spring game. I don't trust Alvano and the back up isn't any better. No way they shouldn't have went out and got a legit kicker.

It's why I had us around 7-5 this year figuring we would lose a game or two due to special team's. AS bad as the defense was Friday we still win that game if our special teams isn't dog shit. I don't just mean the missed FG either. We have too many slow ass guys covering kickoffs. We need to either put some more talent and speed out there or kick the damn thing outta the end zone. I understand WANTING to cover kicks but you can't put 4 or 5 "meh" players on your kickoff units in the BIG. I don't care how hard they go in practice or how much you love them as guys. We recruited too many damn DBs and WRs to have these dudes on the field. Trying to save 5 or 7 yards of field position isn't worth the risk. Kick it out the EZ or put some legit athletes on the field.

Punting coverage is just as bad. Same scenario iyam.

Finally I've seen guys repeatedly talk shit about our WRs and WRs coach and how he can't get it done etc. I don't have near the problem with him that I do with Mr Foley. What has he done? Besides tell good stories that yall like and eat in small town diners. His special team's have been a mess since he's been here and I don't see it getting any better.

If anyone needs to be looking at the exit door he would be my pick and I don't see a close second tbh

Holla

Many of us said that before the season started. I know I was saying back after I watched the spring game. I don't trust Alvano and the back up isn't any better. No way they shouldn't have went out and got a legit kicker.

It's why I had us around 7-5 this year figuring we would lose a game or two due to special team's. AS bad as the defense was Friday we still win that game if our special teams isn't dog shit. I don't just mean the missed FG either. We have too many slow ass guys covering kickoffs. We need to either put some more talent and speed out there or kick the damn thing outta the end zone. I understand WANTING to cover kicks but you can't put 4 or 5 "meh" players on your kickoff units in the BIG. I don't care how hard they go in practice or how much you love them as guys. We recruited too many damn DBs and WRs to have these dudes on the field. Trying to save 5 or 7 yards of field position isn't worth the risk. Kick it out the EZ or put some legit athletes on the field.

Finally I've seen guys repeatedly talk shit about our WRs and WRs coach and how he can't get it done etc. I don't have near the problem with him that I do with Mr Foley. What has he done? Besides tell good stories that yall like and eat in small town diners. His special team's have been a mess since he's been here and I don't see it getting any better.

If anyone needs to be looking at the exit door he would be my pick and I don't see a close second tbh

Holla
Agree. We need to start new.
This is on Rhule, he better change things up

Holla
On their long punt return Friday night we outkicked the coverage then two of our cover guys on that side got held. Punting has been better this year but we punted it straight down the middle without enough hang time for the distance. IF we don’t get held though they don’t get that edge open. That play was right in front of me. Row 16.

Reactions: Baxter48
Alvano was supposed to be really good. Many fans would have blown up if Nebraska didn’t offer him a scholarship. They got the guy they couldn’t let slip away and go be excellent somewhere else. He’s been shaky and now not available. With recruiting sometimes it hits right other times it doesn’t. Don’t be so upset. Yes i understand it puts the team in a tough spot but what can you do about it now?

Holla
John Hohl is listed as the second PK behind Alvano on the depth chart. Where is Nico Ottomanelli at? Is he available? I hope there’s open competition. Someone in the media needs to ask Rhule about PK reps.
This feels like Bruce Reed Part II. Everything is just maddeningly inconsistent, especially the kicking game, even the kickoffs at times. This is the most inconsistent unit on the team by a mile. Is this like a Kevin Cosgrove level commitment to a buddy? If this program has aspirations of championship level football, Ed Foley ain’t it. Good Special teams are supposed to be consistent and I don’t see any kind of standard there or the personnel to compete in the BIG

Reactions: kakdawg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT