ADVERTISEMENT

Feels good to actually have a real head coach and staff again.

Darthsker it is currently 0.000 and after the spring game it will 0.500 since the red or white will win and the other will lose.

This isnt necessarily to you but too many on here who eat lemons and think there sweet, can we see the spring practice before we tear down the staff and the head man. Yes Husker football is the professional team in this state but we have had back to back coaches who were clearly overwhelmed by the position. Give some time to see what he and the staff are doing. Have seen things I likes and will give benefit of the doubt until the season gets going and we can see more of the on the field results of the off the field efforts.

I know people need something to write about on here but this board it seems need to still take a breath. Let the continued bashing go forth again.

Originally posted by Tulsa Tom:
Winning more than ten games a season is nice.

Winning conference championships is nice.

Winning a national playoff is nice.
So.. Tom, would you prefer Pelini and his merry band of half wits, or the new head coach Riley and staff? Simple question to you please answer.

Originally posted by siegsker:

Originally posted by jawbreakingsafetyplay:
I couldn´t agree more. For the first time in years, rooting for the program is fun again. Riley and his staff are absolutely still pinching themselves everday in amazement that they have this opportunity in front of them. They aren´t going to fail here on account of effort and professinalism. Even through struggles and tougher times, this staff will be a thousand times easier to support and root for because they aren´t jerks who think the program is beneath them, or they blame the past success for their expectations today.

There is no comparison between this staff and the previous one. The new staff has shown more appreciation for the great situation they have here at NU than dirtbag did in 7 years. They embrace past legends and the past coaches of this program, despite one of those legends still seething with massive butthurt. In the end, Riley will be judged by his wins and losses, which is completely fair. If you follow the way this man works, and the way successful people in coaching and other walks of life conduct their business, it is very easy to see why SE singled this man out as his head coach.
I can't believe how lucky we are to have him.
I can't believe how lucky we are to NOT have Pelini. I will reserve judgement on Riley till I see how the team performs on the field.
Gushing over Riley now is as silly as trashing him. Time will tell.

Originally posted by hamneggs53:
I can't believe how lucky we are to NOT have Pelini. I will reserve judgement on Riley till I see how the team performs on the field.
The proof will be on the field, but I am appreciative of his openness and what appears to be a genuine interest in talking football.

Agreed. Just to add a little perspective that lots of people are sure that off-season changes were wonderful, here is a player's quote about his take on spring practice so far:

"I love these coaches already, man. They make practice fun. Every day we come out here. And if we get a pick, they're running with us to the end zone. They just have so much energy. It makes playing football fun. Sometimes guys are so business oriented that it takes the fun away from the game. These coaches know that it's fun first, and that brings good things with it." -- cornerback Larry Scott

Larry is a senior at Oregon State.

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

So.. Tom, would you prefer Pelini and his merry band of half wits, or the new head coach Riley and staff? Simple question to you please answer.
Neither is my answer even though I know that question was not directed towards me.

GBR!!

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

Are you new around here? Did you forget I was out in front of wanting Pelini gone after 2012, after "fan-gate" in 2013, after the Iowa debacle in 2013, and this year as well?

Was I pleased with the Riley hire? No...not really. Am I willing to give him a chance? Absolutely. However, I won't lower the standards and somehow act like winning eight or nine games is somehow good enough as long as someone acts nice.

Originally posted by Husker.Wed.:

Yes it does. However, if Coach Riley and Langsdorf try to turn TA or the other QBs into Dan Marino, lose six games and miss a bowl game, I suspect we will all have lost that luvin feeling by this time next year. I hope like anything HCMR, the staff and our team do great things so our fanbase becomes one again.
Here's the rub. Your premise assumes that Riley and company are as stubborn as previous staff. The opposite mindset (see split practices, new thoughts on recruiting, etc) seems to have been put into practice by Riley and staff.

Originally posted by siegsker:

Originally posted by jawbreakingsafetyplay:
I couldn´t agree more. For the first time in years, rooting for the program is fun again. Riley and his staff are absolutely still pinching themselves everday in amazement that they have this opportunity in front of them. They aren´t going to fail here on account of effort and professinalism. Even through struggles and tougher times, this staff will be a thousand times easier to support and root for because they aren´t jerks who think the program is beneath them, or they blame the past success for their expectations today.

There is no comparison between this staff and the previous one. The new staff has shown more appreciation for the great situation they have here at NU than dirtbag did in 7 years. They embrace past legends and the past coaches of this program, despite one of those legends still seething with massive butthurt. In the end, Riley will be judged by his wins and losses, which is completely fair. If you follow the way this man works, and the way successful people in coaching and other walks of life conduct their business, it is very easy to see why SE singled this man out as his head coach.
I can't believe how lucky we are to have him.
I would say that in a way I certainly agree with you. I'm not gushing over Riley, but I have completely forgotten what it was like to have a head coach that I respect. If there is one thing about the last staff that never sat well with me, nay, bothered the hell out of me, it was their complete lack of respect for the great place they were to coach. It started with Pelini, who wanted the fans to worship him and kiss his butt, as if he were God's gift to Football and Husker Fans. He even said so much in a private conversation that later became public. That audio recording confirmed what I had believed to be true based on other information, the man had an ego the likes of which Husker fans had never seen before. It continued with the way him and his staff were always cross or combative with local media, who are tame compared to a real media market. They always found themselves at odds with local guys who were just trying to do their job. Furthermore, many of the former coaches felt it was beneath them to actually put in work on the recruiting trail, and they also acted like Nebraska was just some run of the mill, dime a dozen school that they were collecting a paycheck from. They pissed on traditions and for the better part of seven years, no one seemed to care because they were entranced in the "greatness of Pelini" but when Callahan and Pederson took down a few pictures, did away with the option based offense, the whole world was coming to an end. I guess a part of me cannot believe how lucky we are to have rid ourselves of the terminal cancer that was Pelini.

Mike Riley and his staff are the opposite of Pelini in that regard, and that is why I have no problem stating that in my mind they deserve a longer leash than Pelini's staff. They respect the name that Nebraska still carries in college football circles. They are greatful for the opportunity to coach at a program with Nebraska's Tradition, Facilities and Loyal Fan Support. Many of them have gone out and said so in some form or another. Pelini made former players and staff the enemy. He blamed those guys for the expectations that he has, and essentially shunned them and put them in the "world" part of "us against the world". Mike Riley reached out to former coaches and players, and he had to do so multiple times in order for Grumpy Old Abe Simpson to finally talk to him. Gushing over him is a strong way of putting it, but just beside myself because I have forgotten what it is like to see a professional head coach at the helm in Lincoln.

Originally posted by jawbreakingsafetyplay:I would say that in a way I certainly agree with you. I'm not gushing over Riley, but I have completely forgotten what it was like to have a head coach that I respect. If there is one thing about the last staff that never sat well with me, nay, bothered the hell out of me, it was their complete lack of respect for the great place they were to coach. It started with Pelini, who wanted the fans to worship him and kiss his butt, as if he were God's gift to Football and Husker Fans. He even said so much in a private conversation that later became public. That audio recording confirmed what I had believed to be true based on other information, the man had an ego the likes of which Husker fans had never seen before. It continued with the way him and his staff were always cross or combative with local media, who are tame compared to a real media market. They always found themselves at odds with local guys who were just trying to do their job. Furthermore, many of the former coaches felt it was beneath them to actually put in work on the recruiting trail, and they also acted like Nebraska was just some run of the mill, dime a dozen school that they were collecting a paycheck from. They pissed on traditions and for the better part of seven years, no one seemed to care because they were entranced in the "greatness of Pelini" but when Callahan and Pederson took down a few pictures, did away with the option based offense, the whole world was coming to an end. I guess a part of me cannot believe how lucky we are to have rid ourselves of the terminal cancer that was Pelini.

Mike Riley and his staff are the opposite of Pelini in that regard, and that is why I have no problem stating that in my mind they deserve a longer leash than Pelini's staff. They respect the name that Nebraska still carries in college football circles. They are greatful for the opportunity to coach at a program with Nebraska's Tradition, Facilities and Loyal Fan Support. Many of them have gone out and said so in some form or another. Pelini made former players and staff the enemy. He blamed those guys for the expectations that he has, and essentially shunned them and put them in the "world" part of "us against the world". Mike Riley reached out to former coaches and players, and he had to do so multiple times in order for Grumpy Old Abe Simpson to finally talk to him. Gushing over him is a strong way of putting it, but just beside myself because I have forgotten what it is like to see a professional head coach at the helm in Lincoln.
I like, I was on record wanting Riley in '08. Did you just refer to LHCTO as grumpy ole Abe Simpson. lol. AAAaaaaaaaaaah. Death.

Very unlikely with recruiting classes ranked:
2012 = 25th
2013 = 17th
2014 = 32nd
2015 = 31st

Originally posted by Superpup:

Very unlikely with recruiting classes ranked:
2012 = 25th
2013 = 17th
2014 = 32nd
2015 = 31st
Those look like the recruiting numbers TO had in the early 90s. Somehow he won a few games with them.....

Recruiting coverage in the 90's was nowhere near what it is now. Imagine that, a Huskerelini going back 20 years to make a (dumb) point as if Bo was the coach Osborne was.

Geezus christmas.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

20 years ago...was it just MaxPreps? Was that the one national publication on recruiting? Maybe, Blue Ribbon too?

I can't think of any other ones at all.

I looked this up a few days ago, there were a number of services, emfinger. anyway, there were three of them, between 1987 and 1996,TO had 5 top 10 recruiting classes. I was curious as to weather everybody saying Tom Osborne didn't need top recruiting classes was just BS or notI It was BS 5 out of 9 years in the top 10. these are composite rankings between three sites. debate the facts available from that time as to the credibility, its just like debating rivals method in 2005 compared to 2014 ama bottom line, T.O. got some pretty good players.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Recruiting coverage in the 90's was nowhere near what it is now. Imagine that, a Huskerelini going back 20 years to make a (dumb) point as if Bo was the coach Osborne was.

Geezus christmas.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
A "Huskerelini"?

Your insults are endless. Typical for an internet tough guy.

Originally posted by arf_man:
I looked this up a few days ago, there were a number of services, emfinger. anyway, there were three of them, between 1987 and 1996,TO had 5 top 10 recruiting classes. I was curious as to weather everybody saying Tom Osborne didn't need top recruiting classes was just BS or notI It was BS 5 out of 9 years in the top 10. these are composite rankings between three sites. debate the facts available from that time as to the credibility, its just like debating rivals method in 2005 compared to 2014 ama bottom line, T.O. got some pretty good players.
Let's replace "everybody" with "all those" in your post. There is a sizable contingent that recognize already "great" players coached up become something special and teams become championship worthy.

Let's all hope that the current staff can bring home some great players and we can return to championship form.

Originally posted by arf_man:
Bingo! This is why we won national championships. It's darn near impossible to win a NC if you don't have at least 1 recruiting class in the top 10 from the previous 4 years especially in recent times. I can't recall a NC winning team that hasn't had that in the last 15 years.

Coaching matters but when it comes to the NC if you don't have the top 10 recruiting you have no chance of winning it all.

ADVERTISEMENT